Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please don't laugh, i'm a novice...
so I've spent all my money on:
Denon AVR 2015
PSB 4T Fronts
PSB 8C Center

I have an old JVC system that I'm going to use for my surrounds and rears. What's missing? The SUB!

Since I'm out of money, I was going to purchase the $100 Dayton sub online, but the guy at the HT store said that I'd be wasting my money because the 4T's would cover the low frequencies that the Dayton would cover, so the Dayton wouldn't do anything but distort the sound.

I have a 10" JBL sub that my wife used to have in her car. I know it was designed for a car and not a HT. Is there any point to trying it out? Also, are there any potential dangers to doing this?

Any info would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-03-2004, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Run what you have for now; save up, and purchase the matching rears/surrounds and a good sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #3 of 7 Old 12-03-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldschool4life
Run what you have for now; save up, and purchase the matching rears/surrounds and a good sub.
The Dayton is a good sub. I own two.

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyCarl
but the guy at the HT store said that I'd be wasting my money because the 4T's would cover the low frequencies that the Dayton would cover, so the Dayton wouldn't do anything but distort the sound.
Huh? The Dayton goes down to 25hz. How low do your fronts go? I'm sure that guy knows nothing about the Dayton.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2004, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There are reasons for using a sub even if the mains go down as low as the sub.

If you want to try the car sub in the house, that would be fine, though usually car subs are not powered and home subs are, so you would need to buy a separate amp. If you go that route, keep in mind that most car subs are low-impedance (because cars have lots of amps but very few volts) and most home amps don't like low-impedance loads.

So the obvious solution to that conundrum is to use a car amp, but now you have to get a voltage converter and the wiring/installation is not nearly as clean.

Now you see why folks don't use car equipment in the house ... go with the Dayton or save up some money and get a better sub. Your 4Ts only really hit to about 40Hz, so you do need a sub if HT is your thing.

Bill

Cheers,
Bill
post #5 of 7 Old 12-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Amps designed for subwoofers (see Parts Express or other similar vendors) can handle 4 ohms, which most, but not all subwoofers, are rated at. You would need an enclosure that was large enough to allow the installation of such an amp.

I would recommend just buying a home theater sub in kit form to save a few bucks or you could purchase a new enclosure and then install the amp mentioned above and use your existing driver.

Tom
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2004, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the info. i think i'll go with the Dayton for now. try to mod the car sub sounds like too much trouble for now!

the dayton goes down to 25 hz? awesome.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2004, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyCarl
Please don't laugh, i'm a novice...
so I've spent all my money on:
Denon AVR 2015
PSB 4T Fronts
PSB 8C Center

I have an old JVC system that I'm going to use for my surrounds and rears. What's missing? The SUB!

Since I'm out of money, I was going to purchase the $100 Dayton sub online, but the guy at the HT store said that I'd be wasting my money because the 4T's would cover the low frequencies that the Dayton would cover, so the Dayton wouldn't do anything but distort the sound.

I have a 10" JBL sub that my wife used to have in her car. I know it was designed for a car and not a HT. Is there any point to trying it out? Also, are there any potential dangers to doing this?

Any info would be much appreciated!
If no $..
Then go to CostCo they have a 10" 100W KLH subwoofer for $79..
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page