Impressions on my newly received SVS 25-31PC+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I got my SVS 25-31PC+ just a couple days ago. I spent a couple hours last night calibrating it. My impressions on this sub is that it's not excellent but awesome for HOME THEATER. It will go VERY low, VERY hard. Even though the cut off is supposed to be 25hz, it will play lower and harder than my old Paradigm PS-1200 that was supposed to go down to 21hz. I debated between this sub, the Paradigm PW-2200 and the HSU VTF-3 MK2.

As far as music played through this sub... well, I don't know. I think anything above 50hz better be handled by your mains if you have this sub. I even setup my receiver (a STR-DA4ES) to cut off LFE for the sub at 150hz and set the sub to 110hz and still feel it weak when playing anything above 50hz. It's almost like this sub likes to "thump" you but not really interested in playing 50-100hz bass notes. I could see this sub as a perfect match for a big front speakers. Definitely not a match for my mini-monitors as fronts. I play movies about 90% of the time on this setup so I'll keep the SVS. In retrospective though, if I played at least 60% music, I probably would have gone for the HSU or even the PW.

Anybody with this sub or setup? I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong but I'll welcome any opinions.

Thanks,
Jorge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-04-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Have you run a FR sweep at the listening position? You could have problems with room acoustics, phase, mismatched HPF and LPF slopes in the bass management circuit, etc.

SVS designs its subs to have a very flat FR across the entire operating bandwidth. The upper frequency response extends to well above 100 Hz on the website LMS screen shots. So it's not the sub per se - if you were to measure it outside I'm sure it would exhibit a flat FR in the areas where you are having problems.

The first thing to do run a sweep of the room at the listening position.....we can trouble shoot and diagnose and shoot from there.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #3 of 5 Old 12-04-2004, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean a Full Range sweep? meaning to run the sub through frequencies (ie. 16hz through maybe 400hz)?. I'm not sure how I could do that though. I'm guessing using a cd with tracks or sound in those frequencies? and then identify where the sub falls? ...

My room IS irregular for sure. I'm in a 2nd floor loft with no back wall (it opens to the 1st) floor. I guess I don't get why my old PS-1200 could play those frequencies without problem and it was in the exact corner I have the SVS in now...?

Thanks,
Jorge
post #4 of 5 Old 12-04-2004, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 70
Normally you would burn some 1/12 octave sines and then play them at a reasonable volume (like 80-85 dB) through your DVD player.

Then you record the volume at the listening position for each sine and plot the results. Use the common correction factors for the RS meter to compensate for the c-weighting (and other minor error) of the meter.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Relations
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Jorge,
I'm surprised that you feel the 25-31's output is deficient at 50 -100Hz, the higher tuning point of this sub relative to their others should give you excellent output in this range. Have you calibrated it with an SPL meter and test disc like Avia or DVE?
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page