Serious problem with SVS PC-Ultra - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a PC Ultra a week ago. I just ordered another one. It made me. It was so musical and powerful I had to find out what 2 would be like. Having two will make me want four. I think you can see where this is going.

:D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a PC Ultra also. I love it. I have been wanting to add a second myself but unfortunately my funds inhibit me.

Mike

Old 12-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

KBVR6,

It's a good thing we still had Starbucks in the office this morning, or I'd be a bit whacked out by that Subj. Line.

Several of us make a quick dailly sweep of key forums looking for any problems or questions that customers might not have already e-mailed to us. Nice to know I can pick my cup of coffee back up. ;^)

You might want snag the next issue of The Sensible Sound in case you need any ammunition to rationalize your purchase further. I've got one in my own system so you aren't getting any help from SVS for your, uhhh... "problem". 8^0

PS if you haven't already picked up an SPL meter and test DVD like Avia, now's the time. You'll have to have both to get a good phase optimiztion for the twin subs. It's quite easy to get this just right if the subs are side by side, and a bit trickier if they are separated. Having phase a bit off (all but inevitable with twin subs that are NOT co-located in corner for instance) can make for some poor frequency response at your seat. Have things just right (or rather, just wrong) with regards to phase ... and it's not hard to actually have worse performance with two subs than one. Needless to say a few minutes with a meter and test tones will quickly prove to be a good investment.

Ron
SVS
Old 12-05-2004, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Getting a second one was completely unnecesary. Initally I thought it would take two to "keep up" with my Klipsch Chorus IIs and the 400wpc Mac feeding them in a big room. Wrong. All of that BS about "vented systems can't be quick" is funny to me now. It's fast, and the bass seems to come out of a bottomless pit. It's tuneful when it's supposed to be yet can still literally shake the floor. I haven't even watched a movie with it yet. I'll wait for #2 to show up and then try to shake the house down.

I do have a rat-shack meter and a test disc. After some phase fiddling and relocating I got an overall system response +/- 5db from 200hz to 16hz where it's up (!) 3db.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM