Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Bruce!
How do I connect the second non DD sub to the prepro so that the EQ test tone is sent to both subs so that I can use DD's EQ to EQ the combined output. If I use a Y adapter does the EQ test tone play through both subs?
Thanks.

Vinod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This should be a great product for us DIY guys, I've spent a lot of time EQing many different subs in my room, the remote control and preset capability is a godsend and phase adjustment is much appreciated as well.

However, having said that, 8 bands is just not enough for tough rooms, I regularly needed all 12 filters in my BFD to get a +/-3db curve for the many different subs I’ve tried, then if I want to add some boost for a house curve I need one or two more bands.

I hope the guys at Velo don’t buy into all that stuff about not being able to remove a dip or not to boost, only cut. I noticed that the EQ scale on the screen shot shows less boost ability then cut. I have a 52 Hz black hole (-14db) in my nearly square room and it can be shifted out of the pass band with enough EQ power, but as I said, it takes all 12 bands on the BFD to do it. I know it uses amp headroom to add that much boost, who cares, get a bigger amp if need be, a 52 Hz null will suck the life out of music, trust me.

Still, I’ll probably buy one if the feedback is good from BFD users.
post #93 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by craig john
Bruce,

Is the timetable for the SMS-1 still late summer as you mentioned above? Can I "pre-order" one direct from Velodyne? Or, from a dealer? Thanks.

Craig
Hi Craig,
We're looking at late summer right now. We will more than likely go through dealers. exclusively. You can mention the product to your dealer now but they won't have any details yet.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #94 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vinodk
Hi Bruce!
How do I connect the second non DD sub to the prepro so that the EQ test tone is sent to both subs so that I can use DD's EQ to EQ the combined output. If I use a Y adapter does the EQ test tone play through both subs?
Thanks.
Hi Vinod,
There are two ways to accomplish this. First, the "thru" jacks on the DD will send the signal unaltered on to a second sub. Secondly, use the Y splitter out of your prepro. The first option is cleaner if the subs are in close enough proximity.

You probably know this, but a basic setup point here: the EQ out of the DD goes into your prepro as another input (most people use AUX or other available input). Then the sweep tone plays through your entire system, including the main speakers and the sub. So, there are no special connections needed to get the subs to play other than the one you are using anyway to get the subs to play normally form the prepro.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #95 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingdaddy
This should be a great product for us DIY guys, I've spent a lot of time EQing many different subs in my room, the remote control and preset capability is a godsend and phase adjustment is much appreciated as well.

However, having said that, 8 bands is just not enough for tough rooms, I regularly needed all 12 filters in my BFD to get a +/-3db curve for the many different subs I’ve tried, then if I want to add some boost for a house curve I need one or two more bands.

I hope the guys at Velo don’t buy into all that stuff about not being able to remove a dip or not to boost, only cut. I noticed that the EQ scale on the screen shot shows less boost ability then cut. I have a 52 Hz black hole (-14db) in my nearly square room and it can be shifted out of the pass band with enough EQ power, but as I said, it takes all 12 bands on the BFD to do it. I know it uses amp headroom to add that much boost, who cares, get a bigger amp if need be, a 52 Hz null will suck the life out of music, trust me.

Still, I’ll probably buy one if the feedback is good from BFD users.
Hi King,
I've seen many rooms where no matter how much boost you give a null, it doesn't get any better. This is because the signal is bouncing off the walls, merging at that particular point in the room, and canceling out. Giving it more boost only has the signal cancel more violently, while eating up headroom and degrading the rest of the spectrum.

That having been said, boost does have its place. Perhaps the woofer itself has a dip in that frequency due to its design. Or perhaps the room itself has treatments or other anomalies that can be fixed with boost. We do offer +6 dB of boost and -13 dB of cut for this reason.

BTW, there is actually a ninth band - the preset contour can be set to any frequency and boost/cut, with a fixed 4.3 Q.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #96 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Bruce:

Nice to know there is an extra band for contour. As far as the boost issue is concerned, in my experience +6db is not nearly enough. I am aware that a true null cannot be successfully removed by EQ alone, but the age old adage that it will only make it worse is not entirely true, as you state there are many reasons for a dip, but most can be helped with some boost in my experience. My particular room problem at 52Hz is there with any sub I put anywhere near the right front of the room, so it’s probable room induced. That being said, it can be moved out of the pass band with some serious boost at 3 key frequencies (52, 63, 78Hz). Each EQ point will move the dip up about 10Hz, so I was successful at correcting the null with EQ and can prove it by re-measuring with the filters engaged so there is no doubt that it can be done regardless of what theory says. This is what I was referring to in my statement about not buying into that theory about not boosting and “you can’t remove a nullâ€. IMO you need about 24db's of boost and cut and a few extra bands for the problem rooms.
post #97 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Bruce! My room has a big null at 40 Hz at the main seating position & DD fixes it to a great extent but not completely. I was hoping to correct this null completely using a second sub in the opposite location. Fortunately I may not need a Y adapter as Anthem AVM30 has dual sub outputs. BTW does the EQ mic still need to face the front of the room?

Vinod
post #98 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The number one downside I could see in using the DD software or an SMS-1 after the receiver or pre/pros internal processing would be the additional conversion required to put the subs line level signal back into digital to be processed, and then returning to analog for the sub.

An additional A/D/A conversion in the signal chain may or may not be noticable, but it might be worth adding for the user presets alone!!

I have no doubt that the SMS-1 will be a massive success.
I know I will be adding one to my system upon the arrival of the first batch.

Certified: Vantage InFusion, AMX A.C.E.
Lutron HomeWorks, Lutron RadioRa2 (Level 2)
post #99 of 1236 Old 05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

As for a full bandwidth model...
The EQ system that is arguably the finest available, the Lexicon v.4 EQ, doesn't go any higher than yours and they say that the correction applied over 250Hz is hardly ever beneficial anyway because of the narrow window of measurement from the mics and placements used.

post #100 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cinemascope
The EQ system that is arguably the finest available, the Lexicon v.4 EQ, doesn't go any higher than yours and they say that the correction applied over 250Hz is hardly ever beneficial anyway because of the narrow window of measurement from the mics and placements used.
Once again, we're not talking about Velodyne being able to EQ full bandwidth, just the ability to SEE what's going on higher up the frequency spectrum. Don't confuse the two. As for "they" who believe that any room correction applied over 250hz is not beneficial, I heartily disagree. Just because Lexicon does not address the upper frequencies, it should not be taken as gospel that they shouldn't be addressed.

Once again, if the Velo system showed a full frequency sweep, you'd be able to see what's going on in the room. Also, wouldn't it be fun to be able to take the Velo outside and point the mic 1m away from a speaker to get a better idea of its individual frequency response? :)

Ran
post #101 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Although the Meridian folks might disagree about the Lexicon being the finest available room correction system, ;) they do agree that the correction shouldn't be applied over 250 hz.

However, the frequency range on the Velodyne Digital Drives are only adjustable to 120 hz, not 250 hz.

Quote:
Originally posted by theranman
As for "they" who believe that any room correction applied over 250hz is not beneficial, I heartily disagree. Just because Lexicon does not address the upper frequencies, it should not be taken as gospel that they shouldn't be addressed.
While Lexicon and Meridian limit adjustment to below 250 hz, in contrast Audio Control's Diva Theater Equalizer offers eight channels of full range equalization.

Larry
post #102 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vinodk
Thanks Bruce! My room has a big null at 40 Hz at the main seating position & DD fixes it to a great extent but not completely. I was hoping to correct this null completely using a second sub in the opposite location. Fortunately I may not need a Y adapter as Anthem AVM30 has dual sub outputs. BTW does the EQ mic still need to face the front of the room?
No, the mic need not face the front of the room - but it should be positioned as you are when listening. That way you'll get the best results.

Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #103 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Bruce:

Any possibility for a discount on a group buy? If so, how many would we need to meet the minimum?
post #104 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryChanin
Hi,

Although the Meridian folks might disagree about the Lexicon being the finest available room correction system, ;) they do agree that the correction shouldn't be applied over 250 hz.
I agreee that the Meridian software is also world class...
Quote:
However, the frequency range on the Velodyne Digital Drives are only adjustable to 120 hz, not 250 hz.

While Lexicon and Meridian limit adjustment to below 250 hz, in contrast Audio Control's Diva Theater Equalizer offers eight channels of full range equalization.

Larry
As do Lexicon's sister products, the JBL Syn SDEC processors, with up to 92 parametric bands of EQ.
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/technology/tech5.aspx
IMO, these are the finest products in that class by a wide margin.

What Meridian & Lexicon have found is that the power of a full range system should be manipulated manually, and not automatically. Too many times the mic placement causes over compensation in mid and HF frequencies for that particular spot, and the sound is compromised at other locations.
http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_pape...ection_scr.pdf
http://www.lexicon.com/products/overview.asp?ID=15
Since there are finite resources in the processors, they focus the processor power where it will do the most good.

I know quite a few dealers that have used the Diva system that say the same thing. Let it run it's course, and then go back and tweak it.
A DIY or inexperienced installer can do more damage than good to the sound with a system like this.

The people that fall prey to marketing and assume that the Yamaha, H/K, Marantz, Denon, Bose, etc. auto setup is the absolute perfect solution are listening through rose colored glasses. Every single example I have heard made the system sound like it consisted of lower grade components.
In every room, the lowest level of correction, or a massive tweak of the manual adjustments were required to make it noticably better then it was before the EQ was applied.

With the longer wavelengths of LF, and the modal issues that are significantly different in each room, the auto-EQ below 250Hz will bring consistently positive results more often that a full range solution, that's all I am saying.

post #105 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agreee that the Meridian software is also world class...
You forgot Tact RCS and DEQX, the Tact is considered by most to be the best out there for full room correction.
post #106 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't used or even considered using the Tact or Rives systems... and I haven't even heard of DEQX.
I won't make a judgement on either until I see a review by someone other than an audio reviewer.

With the resources and brain power that exists at Harman Group (JBL Syn & Lexicon) and Meridian in terms of acoustics and digital sound processing, I think that either of them are a safe bet.

I a waiting for the Velodyne product becaue I haven't seen anything that flexible and powerful at that price. And not everyone is ready to pop for the SDEC, V4EQ equipped Lexicon or a Meridian system.

post #107 of 1236 Old 05-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well if you did read professional reviews then this is one of many on the Tact

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/437/

Here is the DEQX site
http://www.deqx.com/
post #108 of 1236 Old 05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Will this unit pass through a full-range audio signal? Lets say you wanted to use a pair of them on your main speakers, while still only correcting for bass frequencies. Would it work?

This might be important even if you were using a sub, if you had a room peak at or slightly above the subwoofer crossover. You might want to take the peak out of the mains as well as the sub.
post #109 of 1236 Old 05-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kromkamp
Will this unit pass through a full-range audio signal? Lets say you wanted to use a pair of them on your main speakers, while still only correcting for bass frequencies. Would it work?

This might be important even if you were using a sub, if you had a room peak at or slightly above the subwoofer crossover. You might want to take the peak out of the mains as well as the sub.
Hi Krom,
Unfortunately, no, the SMS only processes bass signals. There is a passive 80 Hz 6 dB/octave high pass crossover and thru jacks, but the EQs only affect the bass signal.

We're looking at something for the rest of the spectrum, but for now we're sticking to bass.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #110 of 1236 Old 05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The pass through is a great touch though...

I'm sure there will be more than one audiophile to try this on a 2ch system with no dedicated sub out. Now they can try sub with mains crossed over through your unit or full range by splitting the preamp out to the main amp and the SMS.

I know I plan to try it on my music system as well my theater system...

post #111 of 1236 Old 05-08-2005, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

the TACT is excellent but it requires lots of amp headroom as it sometimes boosts by 30db at some FQ (!) .
what's the trend in France for instance is a "wall of subwoofers": like the Biosonic wall with 10 10" woofers on the sides and at the bottom, to dramatically reduce the room modes, making a sort of initinite line of subwoofer once the front floor and the sides up to the ceiling are fit with subwoofers. idea is to reduce room modes enormously and provide good bass at all seats. now the Velodyne EQ will sell like cookies imho for the majority of us who cant do the wall of subwoofers. i really am anxious to get one. even if i'm sort of building a wall of subwoofers :D (at least the front floor, accross all the width). i use 18" and 15'" woofies. some to takecare of the LFE+bass below 40hz and the 40-80 or 125hz range
(deep bass vs high faster bass)
post #112 of 1236 Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What about the new SPL's with room correction, I haven't heard much about them so far?

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #113 of 1236 Old 05-10-2005, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally posted by BruceHall
Hi Krom,
Unfortunately, no, the SMS only processes bass signals. There is a passive 80 Hz 6 dB/octave high pass crossover and thru jacks, but the EQs only affect the bass signal.

We're looking at something for the rest of the spectrum, but for now we're sticking to bass.

Hope this helps,
Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Just to clarify - your EQ only works on signals <80Hz? If so then that makes the issue irrelevant. I was thinking the EQ worked up to ~150Hz or so.

Thanks,

Andy K.
post #114 of 1236 Old 07-10-2005, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

hi
question:
does it have xlr input outputs ?
can the subsonic filters be set independently for each subwoofer ?
can the phase be adjusted also per subwoofer ?
post #115 of 1236 Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004
hi
question:
does it have xlr input outputs ?
can the subsonic filters be set independently for each subwoofer ?
can the phase be adjusted also per subwoofer ?
Hi Digital,
Yes, the SMS-1 has XLR (balanced) inputs and outputs. The same signal is sent to up to three subwoofers, so no, none of the settings such as subsonic and phase are settable per unit.

You can daisy chain multiple SMSs together that could have separate settings, but that might be more than you want to spend on the setup.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Hall
Velodyne Acoustics
post #116 of 1236 Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

hi!
thanks for the reply. wonderful, xlr input (whether from prepro with xlr out or through a balancer, better for 15-20meters cables than unbalanced rcas.) and as there more and more subs with xlr ins.

thanks
post #117 of 1236 Old 07-15-2005, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

How much longer for this to come out??
post #118 of 1236 Old 07-15-2005, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
With the longer wavelengths of LF, and the modal issues that are significantly different in each room, the auto-EQ below 250Hz will bring consistently positive results more often that a full range solution, that's all I am saying.
Welcome to the club.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #119 of 1236 Old 07-29-2005, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any word yet on when the unit will be released.

KJ
post #120 of 1236 Old 07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHall
Hi Craig,
We're looking at late summer right now.

Hope this helps,
Bruce
Today is July 29th. Does that qualify as "late summer"? If not, how much later in the summer are we looking at? Thanks.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page