DIY: Subwoofer Entertainment Cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-14-2005, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a home theatre setup in my living room which now includes a Vutec Recessed Electric 110" Screen, Panasonic A700 projector, Ceiling Speakers, Pioneer 1014 receiver, and a IO-Data LinkPlayer2.

I use 6 Cambridge Soundworks AM82 plus one Cambridge MC300IW center speaker.

I want to stay with this concealed look, so you will normally only see furture, fireplace, etc, unitl we want to watch a movie.

However, I need a low entertainement center to house the DVD player, HDTV receiver and the Pioneer Receiver. Its height is limited by how much the screen drops down.

I see that most subwoofer designs are basic cubes or cylinders but they would be noticed in a room that has most of its home theatre components hidden. Their are some very nice small cube designs that I have been reading about from SVS, and from AV123. I think I would need something medium to large for a 17' x 22' room.

But, I have an idea of building a entertainment center to house hidden subwoofers plus contain the receiver, dvd player, etc.

My idea would be basically two ~2'x2' cubes housing a down firing subwoofer each, but it would have adjustable shelves between them to hold other components. It would have a flat table top connecting both cubes. The back of the shelves would be open for wiring but the front might have dark glass or just wood doors.

The other feature is that perhaps I could connect the two air spaces in each of the cubes to help increase volume.

I was also wonder if you could phase the two subwoofers 180 degrees from each other, so there would be no compression/expansion in the sealed air space. When one is driving forward, the other is driving backwards. The subwoofers might react quicker due to less expansion/contraction in the sealed air space but the sound would be "smoothed" over time due to the delay of the second subwoofer. A poor man's IB? I have no idea if this would work, or be a problem.

I am not an audiophile and I don't want perfection, but what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-14-2005, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally posted by kbellve
I was also wonder if you could phase the two subwoofers 180 degrees from each other, so there would be no compression/expansion in the sealed air space. When one is driving forward, the other is driving backwards. The subwoofers might react quicker due to less expansion/contraction in the sealed air space but the sound would be "smoothed" over time due to the delay of the second subwoofer. A poor man's IB? I have no idea if this would work, or be a problem.
That is possible but since the drivers are 180 degrees out of phase, they would cancell each other out. Basically, you get two subs moving in and out but not much sound. A subwoofer's "quick reation" is a combination of its magnet strength (the BL measurement) and the inductance of the voice coil.

Quote:
Originally posted by kbellve
A poor man's IB?
Technically an IB is just a sealed box where the net enclosure size is at least 4 times the Vas of the driver. Optimum size would be 10x the Vas of the driver.

Other than that, your idea seems like it will work. It's a matter of details (drivers, enclosure design) and cabinet finishing skills.

-Robert
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page