AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub/Receiver Question

600 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  musicjunkee 
#1 ·
Not sure which forum to put this in, so I put here because it focuses mainly on a subwoofer.

I recently upgraded my home theatre system, getting an Onkyo 702, infinity speakers (150 bookshelves, 250 floorspeakers, center channel), and an Infinity Sub (PS8-100 watt).

Not I get everything hooked up and the speakers sound great, but I just can't seem to get my sub right. I have it connected via the LFE slot with a Monster Cable sub cable. I'm having a multitude of problems though getting any significant sound to come out of it. I have all the speakers set to small, as I have read that to get the Sub to accent the sound, this is the best format, and because my Floor Speakers have a cone of 5 1/4 I believe.

Now when I watch a DVD, the Sub sounds ok, but not great. I don't get the loud booms and all the others that I should be getting from the sub. I even have the setting on the sub turned up past halfway, and the receiver setting at +4 DB. When listening to a CD, the bass does not sound good at all. I don't even feel much bump coming from it. And when playing a game in the XBox (all of this is through the XBox, btw), the Sub won't even turn on and acknowledge a signal to use it.

I'm very frusterated because I can't seem to figure anything out. I have a better than average understanding of home audio, but still not great, so I'm wondering if there is something I can do to help me get the most out of my sub.

Also, I am in a finished basement, and have the sub positioned almost in the corner. I don't think that can be the problem though, as it just doesn't seem to produce much of anything, so it's not like the sound is uneven.

If anyone can give me some tips I'd be much appreciated. :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you have the HD pack for your XBox? You need one of the connectors with a digital output for sound so you can get Dolby Digital.

If so, get a SPL meter from radio shack and calibrate your sub. You can either use test tones from yoru receiver, or you can find a DVD with a THX setup menu item and go from there.

How big is the room? That's not exactly a huge sub...

#3 ·
I'm not familiar with your receiver but if you can set the crossover in the receiver set it to 80 and on the sub set the crossover all the way or disable it.When you say you have(sub) it set half way what are you referring to the vol or crossover?

#4 ·
I do have the optical digital cable hooked up through the XBox HD pack.

The room is only 14x14, so that is one of the reasons I didn't get a big sub.

I have the volume turned up halfway. The crossover, as of right now, on the receiver is at 120 and it's about the same on the sub (it doesn't label exact numbers, so I have to guesstimate).

To be honest, I really don't hear much difference listening to things with the sub turned on or off, which is really really frusterating to say the least.

#5 ·
What are your speaker levels set at? Are you making your adjustments using the set up menu? Your cross on your sub should be set ALL the way up so it defaults to the receivers cross, which with those speakers should be set closer to 80Hz unless it is fixed. Set all your speaker levels to 0 then

using the test tone and preferably a spl meter balance your main and rear speaker levels. Then adjust your subs gain control to match their output. You can then fine tune your subs bass by adjusting the receivers line level out to the sub according to the source( TV. DVD, CD etc..) you are using. If you have two inputs on your sub I also recommend using a Y connecter so your not splitting the line level out in half. This will help summon the sub to kick in sooner at lower volume settings.

Ian

#6 ·
100 Watts is not much for a sub in a big room. You may just be underpowered, especially if the 100W is Peak and not RMS. Small settings for your other speakers is OK. Also, check the crossover point, THX recomends 80Hz I think.

I am pretty happy with 500W level with 12 " driver at the moment, only knock a few paintings off the wall.:D

#7 ·
Is it too much for you to purchase another sub just for your front end? You have the one hooked up to your lfe. Hook the new one up to the front left and right out and them hook your front speakers to the sub like a satellite setup. It will sound soooooo much better. Try to find the most musical sub possible. It will also increase your bottom end on left and right sound effects on action dvd's and music on concert dvd's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.