Subwoofer break in time period - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Mirage Omni S12 has no mention of a break in period that I can find. But I know that I have read to do that on here in the forums. Will I break my sub if I don't break it in? How do I break it in? Thanks for any help.

Sony KDF-E50A10
Harman Kardon AVR240
Mirage Omni S12
more to come... :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Break-in is a bit of a hot topic over in the speakers page. If you insist on "breaking in" your sub, just play music or pink noise within its frequency range and at normal volume. Some feel that any speaker will sound better after a certain period of being used. Others scoff at the idea.

Tom
post #3 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

What I really want to know is if I have to break it in before I can crank it up and shake the walls with it. I thought break in was mandatory before I could do that.

Sony KDF-E50A10
Harman Kardon AVR240
Mirage Omni S12
post #4 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHinge
What I really want to know is if I have to break it in before I can crank it up and shake the walls with it. I thought break in was mandatory before I could do that.
Read This!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Its 5 seconds.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john
Doesn't this make me and engineer or somethin'. Good Lord! Thanks for link as always.

Sony KDF-E50A10
Harman Kardon AVR240
Mirage Omni S12
post #7 of 14 Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHinge
My Mirage Omni S12 has no mention of a break in period that I can find.
I Just received my Mirage Omni S12 two days ago. Actually, on the first page of the owners manual there is a section in bold letters entitled "Break-In Period". It states:

We strongly advise that you resist the temptation to play the MIRAGE®
speakers to their full capabilities or experiment with critical placement
and listening until they have been properly broken in. This process
should last approximately 50 hours. This can be easily be done by
putting your compact disc player on Repeat mode, while playing a CD
with a wide dynamic range at normal listening levels.

I'm in no rush to crank up my sub yet, I can still use my old one while I'm building my new HT so I've been letting my S12 break in according to the manufaturer's recommendations. I figure it can't hurt and there probably is some validitiy to the break in phase. I'd hate to have damaged my sub because I didn't break it in.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
It's like letting an engine (car, bike) warm up before you rev it up (in neutral) or redline it getting on the freeway.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhigh
I Just received my Mirage Omni S12 two days ago. Actually, on the first page of the owners manual there is a section in bold letters entitled "Break-In Period". It states:

We strongly advise that you resist the temptation to play the MIRAGE®
speakers to their full capabilities or experiment with critical placement
and listening until they have been properly broken in. This process
should last approximately 50 hours. This can be easily be done by
putting your compact disc player on Repeat mode, while playing a CD
with a wide dynamic range at normal listening levels.

I'm in no rush to crank up my sub yet, I can still use my old one while I'm building my new HT so I've been letting my S12 break in according to the manufaturer's recommendations. I figure it can't hurt and there probably is some validitiy to the break in phase. I'd hate to have damaged my sub because I didn't break it in.

Okay, I read it way to fast. I apologize for the thread, but now that I know...Does it mean to play the CD continuously for 50 hours straight? Can I not watch TV with it on instead of a CD? I will look again, but I didn't see what I was supposed to have the sub settings on while the break in was taking place. I promise I looked at it this time closer.

I don't know what frequency, phase, auto or just on, or what to set. For example:

"The Subwoofer is equipped with a master power switch which must
be engaged prior to use. After having completed the break-in
process, select the correct position for the Power Mode switch (#6),
either On or Auto depending on your system."

So what was it on in the break in then? Thanks.

Sony KDF-E50A10
Harman Kardon AVR240
Mirage Omni S12
post #10 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder what they mean by "full capabilities" As long as you are not overdriving the speaker, there should be no problem whether it is new or several years old. Regardless of the age of the speaker, you should not try to force it to do more than it was designed for.

Tom
post #11 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Willard
I wonder what they mean by "full capabilities" As long as you are not overdriving the speaker, there should be no problem whether it is new or several years old. Regardless of the age of the speaker, you should not try to force it to do more than it was designed for.
After reading more and more on the Internet I believe the break in will be a good thing. I have decided to just play one of the dance or pop channels and not turn it up beyond a normal level. If I want to watch TV, then I will do that too. I have the level up about a third, I guess. The frequency I set at 80Hz. I have my receiver on surround mode. That's the best I know to do. In a week or sooner, I will crank it up loud and see what happens.

Sony KDF-E50A10
Harman Kardon AVR240
Mirage Omni S12
post #12 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
The dance channel is pretty good, but you might also try like the Latin Jazz channel or something, with different kinds of acoustic bass instruments.

If you were breaking in all your speakers, you could run 5-channel stereo. But if it's just the sub, any mode that routes bass to the sub should be fine.

Why using other people's TV settings is a

post #13 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 06:39 PM

Location: Cape Coral, FL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way
Most speakers have parts of them that are stretchy such as the suspension and the spider. Ever take a new rubber band and stretch it as far as it will go? It will never get as small again. It makes sense that these stretchy parts will affect how the driver sounds differently if they are "new" or "stretched out".

I might be biased, but I think the break in period has helped all of my new speakers. I definitely think I hear a difference after leaving music running for a couple of days while I'm at work.

I don't think it says that 50 hours has to be consecutive does it? :)
post #14 of 14 Old 12-30-2005, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm_10
Most speakers have parts of them that are stretchy such as the suspension and the spider. Ever take a new rubber band and stretch it as far as it will go? It will never get as small again. It makes sense that these stretchy parts will affect how the driver sounds differently if they are "new" or "stretched out".

I might be biased, but I think the break in period has helped all of my new speakers. I definitely think I hear a difference after leaving music running for a couple of days while I'm at work.

I don't think it says that 50 hours has to be consecutive does it? :)
No, but it implies it by saying place the CD on repeat. I'm not real worried about it. It will be fine just playing at normal levels for 50 hours (won't all be music either).

Sony KDF-E50A10
Harman Kardon AVR240
Mirage Omni S12
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page