Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2006, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Happy New Year To All,

I just wanted a consensus of who would be interested in a DIY Subwoofer section or DIY Speaker/Subwoofer Section. For those who would like to go straight to the source rather than weed through or search for post regarding DIY. I hope Alan & David et.al. would be convinced as well.

Yay or Nay?

-V

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it could be useful. I'm not sure. I have been a member here for a while, and recently undertook a subwoofer project. I took my design thread with all my questions to another forum, just because this one has such high traffic and noise. A separate forum may be helpful at getting rid of some of the noise, or maybe not. I've been really happy with the help I got at the other place. I would have to see how it went here to decide where to post my next DIY project.

That said, imho this is still the best place to discuss theory and all the latest stuff because it has such high traffic and such knowledgable people. And, at times, the DIY vs. the latest uber-sub is fun (for the first 20 posts). :)
Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 AM

i'd be interested
Old 01-06-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I would follow it. And IF the new 18" drivers ever come out I might participate! :mad:
Old 01-06-2006, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Generally, I'm against splitting up of forums unless the topics are distinct enough that there's no need for overlap. In this case, if the DIY forum were kept strictly to issues of designing and building DIY speakers, topics that people looking for commercial subs may not be interested in (and may even prefer to not have to wade through), then I think it COULD be a good thing. More general topics (like placement, 1 vs. 2 subs, etc.) should remain in this one.

Like k, I also used another forum to gather info for my project. The benefit might be that a separate DIY forum MIGHT attract more people interested in DIY, and therefore more collective knowledge. However, the downside, and the reason I'm generally against splitting of forums unless the subjects are completely distinct, is you run the risk of fewer people actually seeing and getting involved in topics. There are only a handful of forums here I participate in. If they are split, you run the risk of people primarily reading one forum instead of the other, so each individual topic could end up with a smaller audience. I could see this being a good thing, or a bad thing.

I constantly find myself wishing that vBullettin (or whatever) allowed a "combined" view: I subscribe to whatever "forums" I'm interested in, and all the threads from those forums are combined into one view. Also, when creating new threads, you should have the option to select multiple "forums" that the topic relates to, so that topics that might be appropriate for multiple forums can be seen by all people interested in those topics without having multiple threads on the topic. It's all pretty basic database stuff, I'm surprised that it hasn't become a common forum software feature.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Old 01-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Location: Cape Coral, FL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way
I like the idea. Building a sub, and buying a pre-built one are very different in my opinion.

If the DIY could be a sub-category of the general sub discussion (no pun intended) I think it could fit quite nicely.

I doubt the guy who spent $2k on his sub cares much about trying to figure out the best way to saw mdf or build a port or pick a driver. And the guy who cares about sawing mdf or building ports doesn't care much about trying to decide between Velodyne or SVS or HSU or whatever.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I think things should stay the way they are. For those who are looking to get a sub, they may have never even given DIY any consideration, not because they didn't want to pursue that option, but because they didn't even think about it or didn't know it was being done. By having a few DIY threads on here now and then (what do they make up, maybe 10% of the posts at the most?), it will provide just enough exposure for those who might want to try it but didn't know about it.

Also, I agree with Darin that the current sub forum would probably suffer as people would probably only converse in one or the other. I know I would probably only peruse the DIY one.

Also, as for "that other forum", htguide.com, being the better overall forum for DIY projects, I agree and I don't see anything wrong with that continuing to be the best spot for getting detailed info and advice. Get the tips how to build it there and then show it off here as well :D
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Liked: 11
A combined DIY speaker/subwoofer forum is a great idea. It would save those looking for information on how to do some "home cooking" a lot of search time. :)
Old 01-06-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
As we speak, I am in the process of building a DIY sub. I have been searching everywhere (htguide as Steve mentioned and here at AVS and others) for info. I would love to see DIY subs as a subforum of this one. If you venture over into the screen section there is a separate forum for DIY screens that is very lively. (I have seen that bouncer Alan G muscle in and tell the children to be quiet or they will have to go to their rooms). On the other hand, as has been mentioned, I don't think I have ever looked at any of the commercial screen sections since I got hooked on DIY screens. I would still like to see it though.

Chuck
Old 01-06-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm all for it.....I would certainly post my progress in a thread over there (just as I do on DIYaudio and DIYsubwoofers).

heck, I'll throw a bone, why not:

http://server4.ihostphotos.com/imgt/1161.jpg
Old 01-06-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Design 3 gets my vote - but I'd go with a single 6" port instead of two 4s.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
Design 3 gets my vote - but I'd go with a single 6" port instead of two 4s.

hehehe.....you devil you!

sorry big steve, but looks like design 2 will be it.....better extension down low, dual Passive radiator 18"s (to avoid vent velocity issues and steeper rolloff, not to mention easier to build), and with Deon Bearden's help, will be doing some really outstanding SPL's (on paper, it has a few dB's on a single Tumult, but who knows in the real world).

1 AV15 (with reinforced and modded coils)
2 PR18's
500W bash amp from Oaudio

cost ~$700

not bad for an "ultra killer"....we shall see....

I'm still undecided as of right now, and still playing with a single tumult, single and dual brahmas, dual Av15s, and a TC3A...but thus far, I have pre-ordered a single AV15.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

dude Vashon, there already is a "do-it-yourself" section: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone here recently mentioned the "DIY section", so I went off looking for it since I had never seen it. I finally decided that was the section they must have been talking about, but considered it almost useless. "Tweaks and DIY" is so generic, there's too much noise there for it to gather a group of "gurus". I'd more likely post my DIY sub question here, than there.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Old 01-06-2006, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlarsen
dude Vashon, there already is a "do-it-yourself" section: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=28

:D

The "McGuyver" section is a little different in its own right. If it were the be all, end all DIY section of the forum, then "Screens" would be there too. Good one though.

V.X.Donique
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
Old 01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'd go to the regular sub forum here for DIY sub talk before the existing DIY forum - that's not a knock on it.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
On one hand a DIY section would be nice, but then it wouldn't afford the availability of information we can find over here. Of course it can be sought out, but then this is some of our favorite hangout. I guess it could change over time, but then I like the other subjects also.
Quote:
I think things should stay the way they are. For those who are looking to get a sub, they may have never even given DIY any consideration, not because they didn't want to pursue that option, but because they didn't even think about it or didn't know it was being done. By having a few DIY threads on here now and then (what do they make up, maybe 10% of the posts at the most?), it will provide just enough exposure for those who might want to try it but didn't know about it.
This is exactly what got me to thinking of my first project (good or bad?) but I'll never know unless I at least try. Bottom line.. I would like to leave it as it is.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Old 01-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
heck, I'll throw a bone, why not:
I'd go with #3, too. I've always been of the opinion that PR's don't make much sense unless you are under size constraints.

I'd even consider making the box a bit smaller and tuning it lower.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just to clarify a little that the DIY section would still be here in the Audio Forum just as the "Screens" forum is set up.

hope this helps.

V.X.Donique
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM

I would be interested. As there seems to be more interest in the building of subwoofers it makes it difficult to find information on other types.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

I'd absolutely like to see a DIY Subs/speakers forum
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

I'd like to see a section...just ordered a Dayton 15" DVC.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 PM

I would love to see a section just devoted to the DIY sub builder.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdche
I'd absolutely like to see a DIY Subs/speakers forum
I agree.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
yes...a special DIY would indeed be helpful, especially if moderated and patrolled by a few expert/engineer types.

I'm into DIY at the current moment and having to cherry-pick between several forums is tedious and time consuming. A forum such as this, with a think-tank type atmosphere would be extremely enlightening.

Things like BL,qts,vas,Xmax,Fs, etc. and the relationships between these parameters are of great importance to the DIY. Sure the box modeling can tell you what size to build the box and what PR or port to use, but it does'nt promote a greater understanding of the interrelations between the box, driver and room.

I'm all for it...bring it on! ;)

"Frequency response is NOT efficiency response."

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

B&C 21SW152-4  [21" critical-Q]

Old 01-07-2006, 07:36 AM

I will further agree with with the addition od a DIY Sub/ Speaker forum. To make it successful and for it to work in actually cleaning up and properly catagorizing other posts, it would definitely need to be in the Audio section. But I think it is a grand idea and one I have actually pondered why you dont have one yet. I surf several other topics on this board and there are DIY questions posted in every forum from construction to speakers. I would first comb through the audio section and grab all of the threads posted on DIY in the last week and move them to the new thread to get it going. Like a few others said above, I really dislike searching through all of the commercial threads to find one that pertains to me. If it is kept under the audio section with a descriptive header, people who are contemplating DIY will find it alot easier than waiting for a thread to pop up in here or the speaker forum.

my .02

Tony...
Old 01-07-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

A question for those of you who posted in favor of it and have built or will be building your own subwoofer - Would you honestly have decided to pursue building a DIY subwoofer if they didn't get talked about in the regular forum - where you were probably coming to gather info on what sub to buy - or would you just have gotten an SVS, HSU, Dayton, etc?

I know that before I started hearing people mentioning that their DIY subs could outperform commercial subs in the regular Speaker and Subwoofer forum at HTF, I didn't spend much if any time in the DIY forum.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
A question for those of you who posted in favor of it and have built or will be building your own subwoofer - Would you honestly have decided to pursue building a DIY subwoofer if they didn't get talked about in the regular forum - where you were probably coming to gather info on what sub to buy - or would you just have gotten an SVS, HSU, Dayton, etc?

I know that before I started hearing people mentioning that their DIY subs could outperform commercial subs in the regular Speaker and Subwoofer forum at HTF, I didn't spend much if any time in the DIY forum.
Had I not started to see information and experiences on DIY subs in the regular forum (yours in particular), I don't know that my interest would have been piqued. I was certainly ready to fork over the cash for a SVS sub ($1200.00). But after seeing that the task of building a sub is much easier than building a full blown 2 or 3 way speaker system, I am in the process of building my own sonotube based sub. I have never really gone and looked into building a main or center or surround speaker. I always figured that I could never build as good a speaker as Ascend, B&W, Dynaudio, etc. With all their expensive measuring equipment, R&D dollars and banks of engineers, I would let them do the work for me and was willing to pay for it. When I found out subs did not have as much voodoo involved with crossovers and cabinets, I decided to build one. Yes, it was because I saw it mentioned in the regular channels of AVS. Same with screens. I built my own after seeing it in the regular channels and was drawn to the DIY section for screens.

CHuck
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve,
I wouldn't have undertaken building my Sub if it wasn't discussed (Hyped? :) ) in the main forum. I knew people did it, but I didn't know how semi-mainstream it was.

If there was a seperate forum, I'm not sure if I would have visited it. Maybe breifely, but not daily/hourly.

Good point.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Was a different case for me. I had built an 18 ft^3 box (slotted vent) full range (no subs back then) DIY speaker back in 1967 and used it till 1975. After I had settled in this new house 3 years ago I started to really upgrade my audio system again. I used google to find the DIY forums and web sites and was almost ready to build a sonosub until I accidently found a chance to buy a PC-Ultra used. During my research into building a sub I had found the AVS forum and others which really educated me on what was available and what performance specs could be attained at given prices. The discussions on equalization and room treatments are always needed in the subwoofer and speaker sections.

But a DIY sub/speaker forum on AVS might have a higher signal to noise ratio!