Auralex Subdude Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1318 Old 04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just ordered 2 subdudes and 1 great gramma to try out. I have a PB12 Ultra/2 and twin 16-46CS+ 12.3 tubes. The tubes are 16" in diameter and the Ultra/2 is damn near 30"x19"...........all should be a perfect fit. I'm curious to see if I'll notice a difference.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1318 Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Believe it! The "Subdude", without a doubt, has had the most impact on my system's performance! It literally changed the sonic response of my subwoofer! No more shakes, rattles or over the top booms! The response is tight and accurate, damn near musical! It completely refined a subwoofer (Klipsch RSW10) known to be somewhat unrefined! Yes, the "Subdude" will make a difference for the better.

Regards!
LL
LL
LL

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #273 of 1318 Old 04-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Hey I just found this... what do you guys think? Suppose to be used for low-frequency vibration.

http://www.anti-vibrationpads.com/CB...ation_pads.htm

I am expecting dual mfw's so i might give it a go.
post #274 of 1318 Old 04-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks.

Samsung HL-T6187S
Yamaha RX-V863
LG BH200 Super Blu Player
post #275 of 1318 Old 04-28-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Long standing thread here...

I rub two powered 15" subs and my Projector was shaking during most all intense scenes... Two subdudes and 6 months later, I have not noticed a projector shake since. Performance in general does seem a little better as well.
post #276 of 1318 Old 05-11-2008, 02:08 AM

Well my clarmac pads came in. Placed them under my sub. Played WOTW and thought... something must be wrong with my sub. NOPE! Just the sound and feeling of nice tight bass. Bass is more refined. I never thought anything was wrong till now. I guess I was use to all the muddy boomines emanating from behind my couch since it was so close to my back wall.
post #277 of 1318 Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinje View Post

Well my clarmac pads came in. Placed them under my sub. Played WOTW and thought... something must be wrong with my sub. NOPE! Just the sound and feeling of nice tight bass. Bass is more refined. I never thought anything was wrong till now. I guess I was use to all the muddy boomines emanating from behind my couch since it was so close to my back wall.

I was going to say, I've used those for many years. We use them to dampen printing presses where I work, and I swiped some roughly 15 years ago. They work well, but I can't compare to the Subdudes in any way.

will work for sushi
post #278 of 1318 Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've no doubt about the positive testimonies of the subdude but my only reservation on getting one is that it makes the sub and the room ugly. My sub would need two of them which means that it would look twice as ugly as using one. Sorry but no thanks.

Enter all at the strait gate and walk the narrow way.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no one enters the Fathers' Kingdom except through me."

Jesus is the strait gate.
post #279 of 1318 Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass excavator View Post

I've no doubt about the positive testimonies of the subdude but my only reservation on getting one is that it makes the sub and the room ugly. My sub would need two of them which means that it would look twice as ugly as using one. Sorry but no thanks.

It's not for everybody. Enjoy your pretty room.
post #280 of 1318 Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Believe it! The "Subdude", without a doubt, has had the most impact on my system's performance! It literally changed the sonic response of my subwoofer! No more shakes, rattles or over the top booms! The response is tight and accurate, damn near musical! It completely refined a subwoofer (Klipsch RSW10) known to be somewhat unrefined! Yes, the "Subdude" will make a difference for the better.

Regards!

Sorry but it sounds to me like complete ******** marketing and i often wonder who works for certain companies here. (not that i would ever suggest you do or anyone its just a thought that occured to me as i wrote this )

Of course people who buy one will testify its the best thing since sliced bread because they want to justify the purchase.

If your room is causing your subwoofer to be boomy then you need an SMS-1 and i really don't see how this will do anything other than stop your floors rattling or to stop sound being heard as loud downstairs if you live in a top floor apartment....Of course the sound will change when you stick your subwoofer on top of one ( The sound can change just by moving your subwoofer a foot from where it originally stood ) but i don't buy into this rubbish about it suddenly making a subwoofer musical where before it wasn't.
post #281 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Sorry but it sounds to me like complete ******** marketing and i often wonder who works for certain companies here. (not that i would ever suggest you do or anyone its just a thought that occured to me as i wrote this )

Of course people who buy one will testify its the best thing since sliced bread because they want to justify the purchase.

If your room is causing your subwoofer to be boomy then you need an SMS-1 and i really don't see how this will do anything other than stop your floors rattling or to stop sound being heard as loud downstairs if you live in a top floor apartment....Of course the sound will change when you stick your subwoofer on top of one ( The sound can change just by moving your subwoofer a foot from where it originally stood ) but i don't buy into this rubbish about it suddenly making a subwoofer musical where before it wasn't.

This sounds to me like complete ******** marketing.

It's a lot easier to justify a $50 purchase than a $600 one. Definately more BANG for the buck!

Don't knock it `till you try it!

Think for yourself... Question authority!
post #282 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 AM
SRR
AVS Special Member

post #283 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no substitution for an acoustically treated room and an SMS-1. Yet the cost of admission for the Subdude or most isolation products is insignificant in the grand scheme of things when putting together a quality audio system. Considering most major equipment upgrades can be costly in nature, this one is a no brainer if someone is skeptical about what the Subdude can achieve or not achieve, That's is my .02.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #284 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 AM
SRR
AVS Special Member

Ya there is a SUBstitute to the SMS, one that does time domain correction as well as EQ, a product out of Finland does it, and if Audyssey and SVS ever bring it to market the SVS EQ thingy (I forget what they are gonna call it) .
post #285 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

If your room is causing your subwoofer to be boomy then you need an SMS-1 and i really don't see how this will do anything other than stop your floors rattling ...................

Stop there. That is exactly what it does and it is complementary to what an SMS-1 or other EQ does. I do not recommend it for poured concrete floors (as in my apartment) but for sprung wood floors (as in my house). As with anything else, it is only the right tool for a particular task.

BTW, the ASC SubTrap is an even more effective, bulky and expensive alternative.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #286 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTownsend View Post

This sounds to me like complete ******** marketing.

It's a lot easier to justify a $50 purchase than a $600 one. Definately more BANG for the buck!

Don't knock it `till you try it!

My projector was shaking without it and it doesn't with it?
I can demonstrate the effect quite easily if ya ever want to see it.

On the performance increase? I don't think I could blind test it, no way. I have a pretty darn good room, in some rooms I would assume it would make a bigger difference than others.
post #287 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There have been enough posts submitted to this thread to verify the effectiveness of the "Subdude". You don't have to believe it. That's your choice. Not everyone will have a need for the product, and that's fine. Until you actually experience the "Subdude", your opinion, which you are entitled to, well, it's just an opinion based on speculation! And, contrary to narrow-minded belief, the sonic response has vastly improved in my room. The bass is tighter and more refined!

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #288 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

There have been enough posts submitted to this thread to verify the effectiveness of the "Subdude". You don't have to believe it. That's your choice. Not everyone will have a need for the product, and that's fine. Until you actually experience the "Subdude", your opinion, which you are entitled to, well, it's just an opinion based on speculation! And, contrary to narrow-minded belief, the sonic response has vastly improved in my room. The bass is tighter and more refined!

Regards.

The placebo effect.

The most effective thing i ever did to get better sound from my subwoofer was buy an SMS-1....With that i could see an onscreen graph and know it was having a real effect....Before i was getting boomy bass at certain frequencies due to the room but after installing the SMS-1 i was getting great bass.

Anyways like you said it's just my opinion and don't let it bother you.
post #289 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I installed 2 Subdudes under my SVS PB12 Ultra 2 Subwoofer and the difference is astronomical. My wife was even surprised by the difference.

I highly recommend them without hesitation.
post #290 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The placebo effect.

The most effective thing i ever did to get better sound from my subwoofer was buy an SMS-1....With that i could see an onscreen graph and know it was having a real effect....Before i was getting boomy bass at certain frequencies due to the room but after installing the SMS-1 i was getting great bass.

Foxy,

I respect your opinion and understand your skepticism. I would suggest due to the cost of the product, you might want to do a test yourself and see if it has any effect in your opinion. I think Musiciansfriend. com does allow returns if you are not satisfied with your purchase. Please check me on that if you decide to take the plunge.

Also, the placebo effect can work both ways as I am sure you know.

Charles

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #291 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

The placebo effect.

I was considering purchasing one after reading this thread but decided to try a DIY solution instead. Last night I folded up a yoga mat that wasn't getting any use and worked it under my sub (SVS PB12-ISD/2). I had never had any complaints about the bass but was starting to think it could be tighter. Also, in my room if I turned the gain up past 1/4 the bass would not get any louder, it would just get sloppier. With the yoga mat under the sub I cranked it up to 1/2 and let it rip. There was an obvious difference. Without the mat the bass was sloppy, you could feal it but it lacked punch and was not very tight. With the mat under the bass was much tighter and had more of that punch in the chest feel to it. I tried removing and replacing it and there was no doubt the improvement was not "all in my head".

Of course it's not for everyone. My living room is a wood floor over a 1-room basement (the same size as the living room), the basement is pretty much just a concrete box. I figure some of the bass was being transferred into the basement and coming back up off the concrete resulting in the sloppiness I was experiencing. Decoupling the sub from the floor sent less bass into the basement to return and muddy up things.

I'd really suggest you just try it, if you've got something "squishy" around the house that can support the weight of your sub without compressing completely just throw it under and see what happens. Now I just have to figure out how to hide the bright pink yoga mat shoved under my sub
post #292 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

sorry i cant read this whole thing,

did anyone manage to make measurements before/after these ground isolation/vibration absorbing devices e.g. subdudes and grandmas ?
post #293 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

The most effective thing i ever did to get better sound from my subwoofer was buy an SMS-1.....

If I didn't have the SubDudes, the SMS-1 would have to EQ my floorboards and it doesn't have the bandwidth for that!

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #294 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Received my Subdude two days ago...noticed the difference right away. tighter bass and less vibration...boominess is gone. I was skeptical about this product but you have to hear to believe. I however still know that the person living below my apt can still hear the sub though.
post #295 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The placebo effect.

Your opinion? A SMS-1 and Subdude do two seperate things.

Question: did you perform your own measurements seperately before and after using the SMS-1? Using your logic it is entirely possible that the great bass you are getting was simply a direct result of the placebo effect after seeing the lines on the graph straighten out.

To some the benefit of a Subdude is going to be minor while to some it is substantial. I would argue that ANY benefit no matter how minor is worth it considering the price tag and the fact that a Subdude will last a lifetime.

I would agree that a parametric equalizer has a greater benefit to most people but it would do nothing to solve the shaking of the floors in my room while the subdude does a bang up job.
post #296 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I cannot believe the arguments here on some thing called a subdude. If someone thinks it's good then go out and buy it and enjoy it. If however someone thinks its a placebo, then why do some of you run the guy down and challenge him to make a battery of tests? A minor benefit to me considering it looks ugly isn't worth having it for free. To someone who doesn't care about aesthetics then a minor benefit is worth every penny. If it were a floor flat isolation pad that could be custom made to the size of my sub then I would buy it. It unfortunately is a pad raised up on square blocks and it comes as one size may or somewhat fit all or maybe not. I'm more concerned in enjoying the show rather than each and every part of the system while the movie is playing.

Enter all at the strait gate and walk the narrow way.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no one enters the Fathers' Kingdom except through me."

Jesus is the strait gate.
post #297 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM

One quick question, do you guys lay your sub flat on the subdude or you will have some kind of the spikes or rubber feet between the subdude and the subwoofer?

Also, has anyone actually compare the effectiveness of subdude compare to let's say..a thick piece of carpet? (all on hardwood floor of course)
post #298 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cannot believe the arguments here on some thing called a subdude. If someone thinks it's good then go out and buy it and enjoy it. If however someone thinks its a placebo, then why do some of you run the guy down and challenge him to make a battery of tests?

I can see you are new around here. Someone saying that an improvement is due to the placebo effect is fighting words as far as I'm concerned.
post #299 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

I can see you are new around here. Someone saying that an improvement is due to the placebo effect is fighting words as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, and what's up with all the B******* marketing of the subdude? I'm getting sick and tired of all the subdude ads on TV, in magazines, and around these forums. You never hear any actual testimonials or good reviews from real, knowledgeable people, just lots of marketing hype so they can gouge you for $50!

post #300 of 1318 Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If however someone thinks its a placebo, then why do some of you run the guy down and challenge him to make a battery of tests?

Dude, are you reading the same thread as me? He's basically calling everyone on here who says it has made a difference in their setup a liar...or at the very least mistaken.

He's the one who is challenging the results of people who have tested their system both with and without the subdude.

Quote:

Sorry but it sounds to me like complete ******** marketing and i often wonder who works for certain companies here.

Looks like he's the only one running anybody down.

~kyle
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Auralex , Auralex Subdude 15 X 15 X 2 Inch Isolation Riser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page