Auralex Subdude Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1318 Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own a Subdude and it's no 45 pounds. Five pounds, maybe, but not 45.

BTW---I'd like to echo the previous comments for the great quality of Sweetwater.com's customer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1318 Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned by others, I think the primary benefit of the Subdude is that it decouples the subwoofer from the floor that then reduces resonance frequencies (unwanted vibrations) generated by the floor and connecting walls. Such resonances continue to vibrate for many milliseconds after the output of the frequency from the sub, which delay then smears or "muddies" the sound of the original tone. However, the sound waves by themselves can cause the floors, walls, and other items to vibrate, so the Subdude will not solve all of your
resonance problems and it will not solve room nodes (certain frequencies are amplied by the constructive interference of sound waves in the room, with each room being different), but it can result in a very obvious improvement in most rooms.

Using a test mic and the EQ Wizard software, I was able to measure a nice reduction in unwanted vibrations as evidenced by a "waterfall" graph that charts frequency response and time (e.g. how long does a particular frequency continue to resonate). The Subdude clearly eliminated some serious object resonances at 40 and 60 Hz - especially rattling glass on my fire place doors.

I would also agree that you would likely not see any improvement with the Subdude if your sub sits on a carpeted, concrete slab floor.

Don't expect miracles, and you should still use a test CD to find and eliminate resonances and nodes in your room; but for $50 the Subdude is, in my opinion, a high-value tweak to your system.

ISF Certified
post #363 of 1318 Old 07-27-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Do they really weight 45lbs? And what are its dimensions? The Sweetwater site says 15" x 15" but it doesn't 'look' square in the pictures.

I just measured my SubDude, it's actual measurements are 15.25" X 15", so it's practically square. There's no way it weighs 45 or 35lbs.

~kyle
post #364 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 AM

I am considering on getting either a subdude or a GRAMMA.

Here is my question. My Sub measures about 17" in lengh, the subdude measures 15" in length and the GRAMMA measures 24" in length.

I am wondering what would be better in purposes of isolation, let my woofer hang over an inch on the front or back of the subdude, or let there be an excess of 3.5 inches in front and back of the Sub with the GRAMMA.

Any thoughts?
post #365 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopup2u View Post

Any thoughts?

Like I had mentioned earlier, my sub is 16.5" X 21" and works fine on my SubDude.

~kyle
post #366 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopup2u View Post

I am considering on getting either a subdude or a GRAMMA.

Here is my question. My Sub measures about 17" in lengh, the subdude measures 15" in length and the GRAMMA measures 24" in length.

I am wondering what would be better in purposes of isolation, let my woofer hang over an inch on the front or back of the subdude, or let there be an excess of 3.5 inches in front and back of the Sub with the GRAMMA.

Any thoughts?

As long as the sub's feet fit on it, the overhang (or not) is irrelevant.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #367 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

How much benefit I can get if use the SubDeude or Grama on tile floor to support the subs? I feel there is some sound delay (the sound exists while I think the sound should have stopped a little earlier).

I have two subs which have a base 22.5"x18" and the SubDude is too small. Also, two pieces will cost $100. Will it work in the same way if I found some (proper) pads in homedepot and put them under the feet of subs?
post #368 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

How much benefit I can get if use the SubDeude or Grama on tile floor to support the subs? I feel there is some sound delay (the sound exists while I think the sound should have stopped a little earlier).

I have two subs which have a base 22.5"x18" and the SubDude is too small. Also, two pieces will cost $100. Will it work in the same way if I found some (proper) pads in homedepot and put them under the feet of subs?

Is the tile on a slab or on a beamed wood floor? No advantage in the former case.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #369 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Is the tile on a slab or on a beamed wood floor? No advantage in the former case.

I am not sure what's underneath the tile. It's on the first floor. It may be some kind of pre-made concrete or just plain cement on flat dirt and tiles were laid later on them. It's highly unlikely that wood is underneath the tile.
post #370 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If the subfloor is solid and not beamed or sprung or otherwise compliant, there's no real need for a SubDude.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #371 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the subfloor is solid and not beamed or sprung or otherwise compliant, there's no real need for a SubDude.

Thank you. I have a feeling that my subs are sitting on "solid floor" and are quite stable.
post #372 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stHD View Post

Thank you. I have a feeling that my subs are sitting on "solid floor" and are quite stable.

It is not just an issue of stability. The issue is whether the physical vibrations of the sub can excite sympathetic vibrations in the floor surface. In one of my systems, that was certainly the case as the sub sat on a floor supported only by spaced beams and, there, the SubDude(s), made a significant improvement. In my other system, the parquet flooring sits on a solid reinforced concrete slab and, there, no SubDude seems warranted.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #373 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Kal,

I agree to a certain extent with your observation regarding why anyone would need a "Subdude".
But, I believe that the use of the "Subdude" is subjective to the room's environment (make up). To limit the "Subdude's" effectiveness to rooms only where the floor is made of wood or being supported by beams would in my opinion also limit the possibilities of solution for those looking for eliminating unwanted resonance. Not saying that the product is the consumate answer but, an example is my room, which is on the bottom floor (basement) and is concrete slab, of course covered by matting and carpeting. Prior to the usage of the "Subdude", I was experiencing rattles, boominess, and buzzing. Now, granted, this room has 3 doors, a large window and an overhead florescent light. And without a doubt, the rattles and buzzing was coming from those areas. Once I placed the "Subdude" under my sub, no rattles, no buzzing and the boominess was eliminated. Basically, the platform addressed my issues. So, there are times when the Subdude can be a solution regardless of the type of floor.
Just an opinion.

Regards

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #374 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

I agree to a certain extent with your observation regarding the why anyone would need a "Subdude".
But, I believe that the use of the "Subdude" is subjective to the room's environment (make up). To limit the "Subdude's" effectiveness to rooms only where the floor is made of wood or being supported by beams would in my opinion also limit the possibilities of solution for those looking for eliminating unwanted resonance. Not saying that the product is the consumate answer but, an example is my room, which is on the bottom floor (basement) and is concrete slab, of course covered by matting and carpeting. Prior to the usage of the "Subdude", I was experiencing rattles, boominess, and buzzing. Now, granted, this room has 3 doors, a large window and an overhead florescent light. And without a doubt, the rattles and buzzing was coming from those areas. Once I placed the "Subdude" under my sub, no rattles, no buzzing and the boominess was eliminated. Basically, the platform addressed my issues. So, there are times when the Subdude can be a solution regardless of the type of floor.
Just an opinion.

Regards

OK. Surprise to me.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #375 of 1318 Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

OK. Surprise to me.

This could be psycho-acoustics, but I had a similar experience as well. I have Mirage s12 which has a downward firing port and I thought the sound was a little tight with less vibrations on a cement slab covered with carpet.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #376 of 1318 Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post

This could be psycho-acoustics, but I had a similar experience as well. I have Mirage s12 which has a downward firing port and I thought the sound was a little tight with less vibrations on a cement slab covered with carpet.

OK. There is also the subtle effect of raising the sub by those few inches.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #377 of 1318 Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Kal,

I agree to a certain extent with your observation regarding why anyone would need a "Subdude".
Just an opinion.

Regards

+1, I have HW on slab and found the subdudes removed what I call a tactile sound my MBMs were making. Tried a dorr mat first with no improvements.
post #378 of 1318 Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith View Post

+1, I have HW on slab and found the subdudes removed what I call a tactile sound my MBMs were making. Tried a dorr mat first with no improvements.

I just got my Subdude and placed under my MBM-12. I also have laminate over concrete slab. I will give you my opinion once I watch a couple of movies.
post #379 of 1318 Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just put my new pair of Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs on Auralex Grammas, to get them up off the heavy carpeting. The floor is wood (it is a second story), and the Grammas do an excellent job of decoupling the subs from the floor and frame of the building. This helped reduce the conduction of vibrations through the floor, but I don't think it otherwise helped the sound of the subs.

To be fair, the HT room has bass traps in all 4 corners, and one along the side wall, so it sounded pretty good before the Grammas arrived.
post #380 of 1318 Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

If a sub has spikes, would it be better to detach them with a SubDude? Anyone know?

I just wonder if the decoupling qualities would be defeated with spikes.
post #381 of 1318 Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbry39 View Post

If a sub has spikes, would it be better to detach them with a SubDude? Anyone know?

I just wonder if the decoupling qualities would be defeated with spikes.

Cannot see why that wouldn't work but the spikes would become optional, imho.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #382 of 1318 Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I like the tactile feeling from the floor that I get only with very low FR's at high level from some selected movies, and seldom from any type of music. This[the tactile] helps to make the bass more believable regarding the size of objects on screen, or just simply adds to the "drama". While I have no issues with "boominess" some furniture parts do rattle which is unwanted indeed.

The Hun
post #383 of 1318 Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cannot see why that wouldn't work but the spikes would become optional, imho.

Thanks Kal.

I ordered one after reading all the positive reviews. Rarely, is the acclaim so high when discussing a tweak, moreso one so inexpensive relative to the world of audio gear.
post #384 of 1318 Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Will this sub benefit from the use of this subdude thing? Thanks.

post #385 of 1318 Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Will this sub benefit from the use of this subdude thing? Thanks.

Absolutely! But I would place the sub and Subdude on the floor.

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #386 of 1318 Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Subdude didn't do much for my sub. Green is with Subdude, red without. Sub is SVS PB10. i have a rug that covers most of my room and i'm on the 5th floor of a 1920s walkup; so maybe it's concrete floor, i dunno.

waterfalls: without subdude; with subdude; overlay of both.

post #387 of 1318 Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 AM

You guys have pics of your subs with the subdude or gramma?
post #388 of 1318 Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that based on your waterfall charts, you're not seeing any improvement. With my waterfall chart, the node and ringing at 40Hz were noticably reduced, but I clearly had something buzzing at that frequency. You must have a solid room.

Again, I think the Subdude is most effective at reducing resonance frequencies of objects in the room that are in one way or another coupled to the floor. I think the Subdude will do little or nothing with the constructive and destructive interfence of low-frequency sound waves.

However, as someone else pointed out, for $50 it is worth the cost to experiment to see what it does for your own set up. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitiate to get the Subdude -- can't say that about everything I buy.

ISF Certified
post #389 of 1318 Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I like the tactile feeling from the floor that I get only with very low FR's at high level from some selected movies, and seldom from any type of music...

Lest you think I'm a purist, I have 4 Buttkickers in my seats for that. Where a movie has these effects, they work great.
post #390 of 1318 Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd suspect my before and after to be very similar as well if I ever charted it. My room falls in the extremely good to excellent category as far as audio is concerned.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Auralex , Auralex Subdude 15 X 15 X 2 Inch Isolation Riser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page