Auralex Subdude Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sweet, didn't know you could order custom sizes. I bet that cost a pretty penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

It wasn't too bad. I got a quote from a local company for like $380 plus shipping...ridiculous. Got a quote from Sweetwater and paid less than half that shipped.
post #543 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili View Post

It wasn't too bad. I got a quote from a local company for like $380 plus shipping...ridiculous. Got a quote from Sweetwater and paid less than half that shipped.

not bad at all. Two Subdude HD's would be $120 shipped, and then not the ideal size anyway.
post #544 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM

My situation is I have an SVS pc12-nsd sub in my home theatre set-up. The room is upstairs (over the garage) and has pergo flooring over a standard particle board subfloor. The sub is producing wonderful, room-filling bass for both HT and music-listening experience. My issue is the 'booming' resonance that is heard (felt?) in the remainder of the house. I contacted SVS & explained the situation and asked their advice." As I suspected, according to Jack at SVS, ..."most of the bass is transferred via the actual sound and not through the physical vibrating of the floor by the sub....you can experiment with putting something under the sub to de-couple it a bit and see what it sounds like downstairs." Good, practical advice and so I've ordered the Auralex Subdude (15" x 15) and will give it a try & see if it has an impact on the 'noise' factor downstairs.
It'll be interesting to see if the subdude provides a difference. I'll report what I find.
post #545 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think you'll still hear it, but at least pictures won't keep falling off the wall and breaking the glass anymore , a big plus in my case .

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
post #546 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

My situation is I have an SVS pc12-nsd sub in my home theatre set-up. The room is upstairs (over the garage) and has pergo flooring over a standard particle board subfloor. The sub is producing wonderful, room-filling bass for both HT and music-listening experience. My issue is the 'booming' resonance that is heard (felt?) in the remainder of the house. I contacted SVS & explained the situation and asked their advice." As I suspected, according to Jack at SVS, ..."most of the bass is transferred via the actual sound and not through the physical vibrating of the floor by the sub....you can experiment with putting something under the sub to de-couple it a bit and see what it sounds like downstairs." Good, practical advice and so I've ordered the Auralex Subdude (15" x 15) and will give it a try & see if it has an impact on the 'noise' factor downstairs.
It'll be interesting to see if the subdude provides a difference. I'll report what I find.

I am using Subdude. Previously, it was meant for my Velodyne DSLR4000. It did minimise the boominess of my Velodyne. Bass is firmer. Then, I bought the SVS PC-12Plus. The Subdude is a little smaller (15" x 15") since the diameter of PC-12Plus is 16". A little protruding.

It does not isolate the bass as it is meant to isolate vibration. Sound still pass through and fills my home just like Audixim mentioned. Now, I am doing acoustice treatment to minimize it.

Bass, please. Shaken, not stirred.
post #547 of 1318 Old 06-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxht View Post

I am using Subdude...Then, I bought the SVS PC-12Plus. The Subdude is a little smaller (15" x 15") since the diameter of PC-12Plus is 16". A little protruding.

It does not isolate the bass as it is meant to isolate vibration. Sound still pass through and fills my home just like Audixim mentioned. Now, I am doing acoustice treatment to minimize it.

Yeah, I think part of the 'downstairs' effect may be due to some of the vibration of the wood floor radiating through the floor joists that span the house. I'm anxious to hear if it makes any improvement to the situation.
post #548 of 1318 Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM

at construction sites where equipment creates structure-born vibration issues, they just place these pads under the machinery and it works great

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/p...FRZM5Qod9gmqpg

anyone care to comment on how it would compare to a subdude?
post #549 of 1318 Old 06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch2099 View Post

at construction sites where equipment creates structure-born vibration issues, they just place these pads under the machinery and it works great

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/p...FRZM5Qod9gmqpg

anyone care to comment on how it would compare to a subdude?

They are 1/4 and 3/8" thick, the foam supports on the subdude are around 2" thick an the rest of the area is covered with the same type foam. I'm sure they would have some effect but at around twice the price I'd stick with the subdude.
post #550 of 1318 Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
every sub needs a subdude.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #551 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

anywhere you can find one for under $49?
post #552 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalhead View Post

anywhere you can find one for under $49?

i found the GRAMMA at a local Guitar Center for $50, i would assume the Subdude would be less than $50 there since the bigger GRAMMA is $50 there.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik SentinelMy last.fm profile
post #553 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb View Post

i found the GRAMMA at a local Guitar Center for $50, i would assume the Subdude would be less than $50 there since the bigger GRAMMA is $50 there.

Whats the difference between the Gramma and the Subdude?
post #554 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemNJ View Post

Whats the difference between the Gramma and the Subdude?

the GRAMMA is just a bigger size. the Subdude is 15x15. the GRAMMA is 23x15.

my sub is 21x14.5, so i went with the GRAMMA. awesome product, really tightened things up, and lessened most of the rattles in my room.

post #555 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:

my sub is 21x14.5, so i went with the GRAMMA. awesome product, really tightened things up, and lessened most of the rattles in my room.

Thanks Jason....I think im going to pick up the Gramma..Looks like a perfect size for the Sentinel...I have it on a hardwood floor and the whole house is shaking
post #556 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemNJ View Post

Thanks Jason....I think im going to pick up the Gramma..Looks like a perfect size for the Sentinel...I have it on a hardwood floor and the whole house is shaking

yup, perfect fit. i'd rather have the mat underneath be bigger instead of having the sub look like it's floating in mid air like the Subdude would do.

post #557 of 1318 Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I agree GRAMMA is bigger and you might have two for big subwoofers
LL
LL
LL
post #558 of 1318 Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post

I agree GRAMMA is bigger and you might have two for big subwoofers

Or you could use the Great GRAMMA, which is what I did.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #559 of 1318 Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Or you could use the Great GRAMMA, which is what I did.

Yes if it fits under subwoofer, but one Great GRAMMA wont be enough for 36x24x36 (HxWxD) subwoofer and two GRAMMAS are .
post #560 of 1318 Old 07-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

The lack of deals to be found on the Subdude is irritating me. I can't find it any cheaper than the GRAMMA. Somebody needs to produce these for less than $50.
post #561 of 1318 Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The lack of deals to be found on the Subdude is irritating me. I can't find it any cheaper than the GRAMMA. Somebody needs to produce these for less than $50.

why?

post #562 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

why?

First, the GRAMMA also costs $50, but it's bigger. The smaller size should be cheaper.

Second, I doubt it costs more than $20 to manufacture.

Third, I'm cheap.
post #563 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, the GRAMMA also costs $50, but it's bigger. The smaller size should be cheaper.

Third, I'm cheap.

to me the GRAMMA was well worth the $50 i paid. retail on the GRAMMA is supposed to be $60.

post #564 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Third, I'm cheap.

Both the Subdude and Gramma have been the same price for as long as I've been in the game which as been several years and the price hasn't changed, which can't be said about many items. Personally I think it's a completely fair price considering the cost of running a business. By the time one paid for the materials to construct one, gas, tax and other expenses I'd venture to say you'd be right at $50 not to mention time involved and they don't use ordinary foam. It's very VERY dense stuff. Most foams would cave under the weight of my 85lb sub but doesn't budge with the sub dude.

If you want to try and construct one by all means go for it but I doubt you'd beat the price by much if at all and maybe come out worse by the time you added everything up and probably not get the exact same quality material used in the process plus the time involved, whatever that's worth to you vs one click ordering.
post #565 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

to me the GRAMMA was well worth the $50 i paid. retail on the GRAMMA is supposed to be $60.

I went to a guitar shop yesterday that had the GRAMMA with a ticket saying "Reduced Price $49.99 regularly 59.99". But when I spoke with an employee he said in slightly different words that that's just marketing, they've always sold them for $50. He said he could order in a Subdude, but it would also be $50.
post #566 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Both the Subdude and Gramma have been the same price for as long as I've been in the game which as been several years and the price hasn't changed, which can't be said about many items.

I'm not one to say that the something is right just because that's how it's always been.

Quote:

Personally I think it's a completely fair price considering the cost of running a business. By the time one paid for the materials to construct one, gas, tax and other expenses I'd venture to say you'd be right at $50 not to mention time involved and they don't use ordinary foam. It's very VERY dense stuff. Most foams would cave under the weight of my 85lb sub but doesn't budge with the sub dude.

All of the overhead you mention would be the same for both. But the GRAMMA uses more materials, meaning it costs more to manufacture. If the GRAMMA can be sold profitably for $50, it only makes sense that its little brother could be sold profitably for less.

Quote:

If you want to try and construct one by all means go for it but I doubt you'd beat the price by much if at all and maybe come out worse by the time you added everything up and probably not get the exact same quality material used in the process plus the time involved, whatever that's worth to you vs one click ordering.

I don't have nearly the resources available that Auralex has at their disposal. I'm sure I could not personally construct one for less. But there has to be another company that makes room treatment materials like Auralex that could offer some competition.
post #567 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of the overhead you mention would be the same for both. But the GRAMMA uses more materials, meaning it costs more to manufacture. If the GRAMMA can be sold profitably for $50, it only makes sense that its little brother could be sold profitably for less.

On the other hand for all I know they might start with the same exact materials just having less waste for the GRAMMA.
post #568 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

just buy one... it's worth it. so many people have stated that to them it was worth the 50 bucks, but if you don't feel that it is, then oh well.

post #569 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I don't have nearly the resources available that Auralex has at their disposal. I'm sure I could not personally construct one for less. But there has to be another company that makes room treatment materials like Auralex that could offer some competition.

FYI, Auralex is the budget provider. Other than people selling packing foam and calling it acoustic foam, they are the low cost provider for this kind of thing.

Most of the cost of a product like this at this price point is from the overhead factors mentioned. The difference in materials cost between the two sizes is probably a $1 or so.
post #570 of 1318 Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

FYI, Auralex is the budget provider. Other than people selling packing foam and calling it acoustic foam, they are the low cost provider for this kind of thing.

Most of the cost of a product like this at this price point is from the overhead factors mentioned. The difference in materials cost between the two sizes is probably a $1 or so.

that's probably true. think about what material there is. MDF, foam, the fabric that covers the mdf, and a little glue. the GRAMMA is only 8" bigger. how much more can that little extra really cost.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Auralex , Auralex Subdude 15 X 15 X 2 Inch Isolation Riser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page