post #631 of 1318 Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

Would this help with my rattling ceiling fan??? It's so annoying.

maybe. i had a lot of rattling things in my room. before i went and hunted them all down i got a GRAMMA and it put most if not all to rest. i don't notice anything rattling now.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Since my first sub is on its way, arrives today actually! (BIC F12) I decided last night to go out and get some materials for my own sub pad.

Here is what I used:

16" x 48" x 3/4" MDF - cut to 16" x 18" (slightly larger than my sub)
(1) 2' x 5' piece of black ribbed indoor/outdoor carpet (better to buy a thinner carpet so its easier to manipulate
(2) 2" x 4" x 12" green hard styrofoam block (got these at michaels near the softer plant foam, I can stand on them without any compression)

Tools: Staple gun, scissors, styrofoam glue

I had the guy at Home Depot cut the MDF for me, brought it home, cut a piece of carpet about 2' x 2', and basically upholstered the board.

Then I just glued the styrofoam to the bottom towards the outside edges of the board. I plan on getting one of those egg-crate pads for mattresses to cover the remaining bare wood on the bottom of the board.

All in all, I think it came out pretty good, the carpet is very tought and it looks sharp, I will post some pictures later today when I get home from work, and the new sub should be here by then too!

Total cost for the pad: $20 - the biggest expense was the piece of carpet, it was $10 for the pre-cut runner, and I could only purchase a 2'x12' sheet if I had them cut it for me, which would have been like $16.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #633 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I missing something?

Certain types of closed cell foam are used to absorb vibrations. While styrofoam is technically closed cell foam, I don't think it is going to be effective for this usage.

I realize there is a huge lack of testing with many of these materials, but imo hard styrofoam seems inappropriate for the application.
post #634 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Yea Polyethylene foam is best for absorbing vibrations, but I could not find any at home depot or michaels craft store. However, the general category you want to be in is closed cell foam/padding, of which polystyrene (styrofoam) falls into.

So its not the most ideal material, but for $5, its the best I could at the time. I will definitely keep an eye out though for some polyethylene foam, and replacing the foam on my pad would not be hard at all.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #635 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM

So I have a question. I'm looking at getting a subdude seeing how I live in an old apt building and I just bought a Epik Sentinel subwoofer. But the problem is that the sub has a 20x15 footprint. Will I be okay with just the normal subdude?
post #636 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterColin View Post

So I have a question. I'm looking at getting a subdude seeing how I live in an old apt building and I just bought a Epik Sentinel subwoofer. But the problem is that the sub has a 20x15 footprint. Will I be okay with just the normal subdude?

No, you need the Gramma, which is 23" X 15"

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #637 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne View Post

Am I missing something?

Certain types of closed cell foam are used to absorb vibrations. While styrofoam is technically closed cell foam, I don't think it is going to be effective for this usage.

I realize there is a huge lack of testing with many of these materials, but imo hard styrofoam seems inappropriate for the application.

i agree. the foam needs to be at least a little soft and a little absorbent.

Nearfield rig: Laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X -> Pioneer SP-BS22-LR & SW8-mk2Headphone rig: laptop -> JDS Labs ODAC -> Emotiva Mini-X speaker taps -> modded AKG Q701H.T.: PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50's - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #638 of 1318 Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

No, you need the Gramma, which is 23" X 15"

yup i have a GRAMMA under my Sentinel. works perfect.

post #639 of 1318 Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM

I ordered one from Amazon, should be here by Wednesday. Will chime back in with observations.

I Want More HD!
post #640 of 1318 Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
I have two of them under a Conquest.

Bill

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #641 of 1318 Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Quick question..tried reading through the 22 pages of posts but didn't see my question.
I have an M&K MX-150 sub, which has dual 12" drivers. One points up from the bottom, the other aims out the front within a lower ported box.
I've set the sub on a subdude using spikes. Is this the best way? I was thinking of maybe getting rubber feet for the sub but not sure which is best or if it even matters.
post #642 of 1318 Old 11-13-2009, 06:09 AM

Do any of you use the subdude or something similar for your (L/R) tower speakers? I have Paradigm Monitor 9's, with spikes on carpet over a concrete slab. Would using a subdude or pair of mopads for the mains offer any additional benefits?
post #643 of 1318 Old 11-13-2009, 07:04 AM

Anyone know if the Bic F12 will fit on one of these? 15 x 15 and my sub is 14.25" wide x 17.25" deep with rubber feet attached to the base...
post #644 of 1318 Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post

Do any of you use the subdude or something similar for your (L/R) tower speakers? I have Paradigm Monitor 9's, with spikes on carpet over a concrete slab. Would using a subdude or pair of mopads for the mains offer any additional benefits?

Out of the blue last week I got a call from Guitar Center offering me a $20 gift card. I thought why not use it for another set of Mopads for my mains.

First, this was not the brightest idea I've had. My mains are HEAVY. The mopads seem to be holding the weight for now, but I'm concerned they will start to crush later on.

I really haven't noticed any difference with the mopads under the mains. In fact I believe I will remove them this weekend before they are crushed.

IMO, putting something under the mains is not worth the effort. Perhaps if I was running the mains as full range, but with most of the low end handled by the sub the impact is limited.

post #645 of 1318 Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

I've tried searches and still cannot find the answer. Should spikes or rubber feet be left on your sub when using a subdude? Thanks for any feedback.
post #646 of 1318 Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post

I've tried searches and still cannot find the answer. Should spikes or rubber feet be left on your sub when using a subdude? Thanks for any feedback.

I have my SVS PB12 Ultra/2 sitting directly on the Grammas without any spikes or rubber feet (mine has a bass plate on the bottom). If your sub does not have a bass plate, I would think rubber feet (just to protect the Subdude from the spikes). Not sure either way...

post #647 of 1318 Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I ended up leaving the spikes on and putting floor discs under the spikes to protect the subdude from ripping.
I bought some pretty sweet ones from ebay for $16 a set. Looks nicer too.
post #648 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

I have laminate floors w/ 2 PA-120's that rattle my whole house during movies so I wanted to see if there was anything out there besides the bartender rubber mat that I put under them to stop vibrations.

I found this thread and ordered 2 Grammas from B&H Photo and they showed up yesterday a week after ordering.

I played my usual U-571 (depth charge scene) & Star Wars -Clones (opening giant starship flyover/landing) first wthout the grammas then with.

I was pleasently suprised to hear about 2/3 reduction in plate/picture rattling that always goes on. Even my wife said it rattles less. I tried music thru my subs and there was a small noticible difference in the way the sub responded.

I realized that I hadn't rerun my YPAO auto setup thru my Yamaha AVR and after doing that it improved my musc ever so slightly.

My PA-120's are very good entry level HT subs that can rattle the house. The gramma reduced that but even better made my subs sound better w/ music.

For $100 for both, I think its good buy and are very well built, especially helping with my floating laminate floors.

My $.02.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work!
post #649 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM

so I'm going have to order one of these tonight then. Seems amazon is the place for me to get it due to free shipping(and I have prime so 2 day shipping, Subdude Gramma) I have a small apartment so this will be a must.
post #650 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I find 50-$60 for this thing to be borderline outrageous. I wonder how (6) 18X18 rubber-backed carpet squares from Home Depot for $12-$15 would compare?

James

EDIT: Wait, I take that back, since my sub is 18"X18" I'd need to spend EIGHTY dollars on a GREAT gramma.

give me a break.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #651 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I find 50-$60 for this thing to be borderline outrageous.

Agreed. After spending $30,000 on my HT and equipment, I'm not about to blow $60.

And screw those expensive accoustic treatments, I just tacked up carpet squares around my room. Money well saved.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #652 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I wonder how (6) 18X18 rubber-backed carpet squares from Home Depot for $12-$15 would compare?

About as well as using a rope, instead of a belt, to hold up your pants. Sure, it might do the trick. But, it won't be pretty.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

post #653 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM

just put this under my sub that would rattle my window, now that's basically gone...i'm afraid to ask my downstairs neighbor if it's lightened up or still annoying for him XD
post #654 of 1318 Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Agreed. After spending $30,000 on my HT and equipment, I'm not about to blow $60.

And screw those expensive accoustic treatments, I just tacked up carpet squares around my room. Money well saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

About as well as using a rope, instead of a belt, to hold up your pants. Sure, it might do the trick. But, it won't be pretty.

LOL. I totally agree with both of you. I mean, there's a time to be frugal to save money, but then there's a time when you just want things done right. I got a complaint from my neighbors after I setup my 8" Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer and cranked it up. After buying the Subdude, I haven't had a complaint since and noticed that vibrations are less in the floor. My HT is in the 2nd floor of a townhouse.
post #655 of 1318 Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Poor analogy (even at $30,000 which is about five to ten times what most spend on their tv, receiver, speakers, and source component(s)).

An argument can be made regarding the R&D, materials, performance, and inherent, UNDUPLICABLE nature of a 7-$800 receiver.

It's difficult to apply the same logic to this item.

And, by the way, the carpet squares would prove to VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE when properly cut and positioned- kinda flies in the face of this eye-sore argument.

James

post #656 of 1318 Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

See the above comment. The best part: as if the "gramma" is anything but a**-ugly in the first place, LOL. Perhaps it looks at home on the floor at a bar, but not so much in someone's living room.

Again, the carpet squares could of course be cut in ten minutes to PERFECTLY fit the given application. Anything visible at ALL...at ALL...would appear to be a black mass...kinda like something else?

Bashing the idea sounds great, especially to the guys who have probably spent $100+ on $3 worth of foam, but in reality, it would almost certainly accomplish the same or nearly the same thing, at a FRACTION of the cost, and look better.

Gramma on though...

James

post #657 of 1318 Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 AM
gye

I'm sure you can do a lot better than the Gramma in terms of looks and price if you go the DIY route. However, I highly doubt that carpet squares will do the trick. I think most of the effect from the Gramma comes from the foam.

post #658 of 1318 Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gye View Post

I'm sure you can do a lot better than the Gramma in terms of looks and price if you go the DIY route. However, I highly doubt that carpet squares will do the trick. I think most of the effect from the Gramma comes from the foam.

Rubber-backed carpet squares would have closed cell foam padding on them. That's the same kind of material employed by these risers.

I agree that the aesthetics of these devices are questionable, and if you can come up with dampening padding that works that is hidden below the sub for a fraction of the cost, I say go for it.

To each his own, I guess.
post #659 of 1318 Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 AM
gye

How about this foam?
http://www.reliablehardware.com/blac...am-2thick.aspx

....two strips attached to the bottom of a cut-to-size 1" MDF, which can be covered with a carpet square to avoid scratching.

post #660 of 1318 Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne View Post

Rubber-backed carpet squares would have closed cell foam padding on them. That's the same kind of material employed by these risers.

I agree that the aesthetics of these devices are questionable, and if you can come up with dampening padding that works that is hidden below the sub for a fraction of the cost, I say go for it.

To each his own, I guess.

Thank you. See, what some are envisioning here is a bit faulty, I think.

For instance, I'm getting a Trinity tomorrow and the base is 18X18. Now, of COURSE I am not going to cut/position an 18X18 square. A 17X17 or 16X16 cube will be MORE than adequate to completely, solidly support the cube, provide the isolation I desire, AND appear nearly invisible from almost every angle in the room. Really, it should appear that the sub is just "floating" for lack of a better word.

I don't doubt the ability of the gramma to dampen, I just take issue with the price, is all.

I didn't mean to come off like a jack-a**, but $80 seems a bit much IMO.

James

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Auralex , Auralex Subdude 15 X 15 X 2 Inch Isolation Riser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page