post #1021 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

No matter what you do, a beast like PB12-plus is going to shake the entire building. It is an over kill for an apt. and even at low volume the neighbors going to get pissed off.

You dont throw stones when you live in a glass building. Same way, you dont buy a subwoofer when you live in an apt. :-)

Some of what you say here is true, but most of it overstates your case. You've not been in every apartment, dealt with all neighbors, etc. Lots of people on this site coexist with neighbors and powerful subwoofers simultaneously. It just takes a little responsible self-policing.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I cant believe people pay for those mini pads. They look worse than the free PC packaging foam that I posted before. This is called "rip off"
post #1023 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Really? From your bajillion posts on the topic I'd gathered that you stand by the product and its manufacturer's claims 100%

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #1024 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Very nice speakers Terry. I plan on getting an Auralex Great Gramma for my SVS PB12-plus. I live on the second floor of my apt and I don't want to take any chances with neighbors. I know turning the sub down will help the most.

Thanks,

I can tell you that my HT is the Bonus Room over the 2 1/2 car garage below.
The Great Gramma's make a HUGE difference in the sound.
They also have really helped to keep the dishes from Rattling in the kitchen which is the other side of the rear wall of the HT.

My opinion is get them as they can certainly do no harm.
They can only help in your situation.

Terry

My "New" Home Theatre Pics 3/22/2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1025 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do I need a subdude for my Empire that is sitting on ceramic tile over a concrete slab?
post #1026 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Do I need a subdude for my Empire that is sitting on ceramic tile over a concrete slab?

the answer is no, but i used a gramma/subdude on my marble tile over concrete and I found it to benefit, but very very slightly. Not as boomy, but then that could be just me justifying my purchase.
post #1027 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CElee View Post

the answer is no, but i used a gramma/subdude on my marble tile over concrete and I found it to benefit, but very very slightly. Not as boomy, but then that could be just me justifying my purchase.

Much thanks! My empire should arrive in a couple of days and from everything I have ever read about it, boomy isnt an issue..
post #1028 of 1318 Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Much thanks! My empire should arrive in a couple of days and from everything I have ever read about it, boomy isnt an issue..

ratm you shouldn't need an isolation riser/decoupler with a dual opposed design. I use 2 subdudes for my PB12-Ultra/2 but don't need anything at all for my Submersives or Empire.
Tim
post #1029 of 1318 Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the thread guys! I just ordered a Gramma for my new Outlaw LFM-1 plus. My living room (HT room) just got super thick carpet and the thickest pad I could find and I'm having a hard time keeping the sub from contacting the carpet. I'm betting that the Gramma will help greatly!
post #1030 of 1318 Old 03-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzollinger View Post

Thanks for the thread guys! I just ordered a Gramma for my new Outlaw LFM-1 plus. My living room (HT room) just got super thick carpet and the thickest pad I could find and I'm having a hard time keeping the sub from contacting the carpet. I'm betting that the Gramma will help greatly!

It will definitely help in that reguard I have a plus and was worried about contact as it was settling into the pad. I also had a lot of floor vibrations causing pictures to rattle. The Gramma made my sub output louder (I'm assuming because of it being raised out of the carpet) and cut down on vibrations significantly.
post #1031 of 1318 Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzil View Post

It will definitely help in that reguard I have a plus and was worried about contact as it was settling into the pad. I also had a lot of floor vibrations causing pictures to rattle. The Gramma made my sub output louder (I'm assuming because of it being raised out of the carpet) and cut down on vibrations significantly.

Good deal! My floor isn't reall stable either, I can feel it when people walk by. I've had to turn up the sub more than I'd like too, so I'm hoping it'll be working more efficiently so I should be able to turn it down AND get better frequency response!
post #1032 of 1318 Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

No matter what you do, a beast like PB12-plus is going to shake the entire building. It is an over kill for an apt. and even at low volume the neighbors going to get pissed off.

You dont throw stones when you live in a glass building. Same way, you dont buy a subwoofer when you live in an apt. :-)

Wow! Thanks for the advice. After careful consideration of your comments, I have decided to return my sub to SVS. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I feel a whole lot better now.

Matt
post #1033 of 1318 Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for the advice. After careful consideration of your comments, I have decided to return my sub to SVS. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I feel a whole lot better now.

The above statement is of course not true, but I did want to thank Terry and SaviorMachine for your input. I did appreciate that.

Matt
post #1034 of 1318 Old 03-30-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The above statement is of course not true, but I did want to thank Terry and SaviorMachine for your input. I did appreciate that.

Glad to be of service! You know, in another thread, AVS veteran and generally knowledgeable guy Bill Fitzmaurice said that isolation pads actually reduce the floor vibration that is directed upward at the speaker (not downward as is more intuitively guessed). Maybe this explains how a high quality, low-cabinet-resonance sub is improved by an isolator like the Auralex models. Not sure but it's something to think about.

post #1035 of 1318 Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Your Welcome

I can tell you I have now had all the Auralex isolation panels/pads long enough for me to try them out.
They definitely work and glad we went with them.
Under the 4 Mirage BPS-400 Subs they have made a major difference.
No more sound coming from the floor of the HT which is the Bonus Room over the 2 1/2 car garage.
No more dishes rattling in the kitchen which is on the other side of the rear wall to the HT.

Terry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1036 of 1318 Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

The only issue i have with Auralex isolation panels/pads{ i hope they read this thread}
I they only make ~{can't remember} ~ three different sizes?
I would like them to make a size just for "my size sub". There are most likely today about 20 different size sub out there. ( ones good enough that people will pay more$$ for assessors ).
You could chose your sub size- not the one size fits all---concept.
If a new entrepreneur comes along and give his customer that option he might become the next...
post #1037 of 1318 Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

The only issue i have with Auralex isolation panels/pads{ i hope they read this thread}
I they only make ~{can't remember} ~ three different sizes?
I would like them to make a size just for "my size sub". There are most likely today about 20 different size sub out there. ( ones good enough that people will pay more$$ for assessors ).
You could chose your sub size- not the one size fits all---concept.
If a new entrepreneur comes along and give his customer that option he might become the next...

ED has many isolation platforms.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_126

They may still offer custom sizes as well.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

post #1038 of 1318 Old 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Thanks- they just got into Book mark page. Nice to see.
post #1039 of 1318 Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Got my Great Gramma yesterday. So far I like the sound of the my SVS PB12-plus with this platform. The floor does not vibrate as much, which is a good thing since I live in an apt. The bass certainly seems to be more evenly distributed now.
LL

Matt
post #1040 of 1318 Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Got my Great Gramma yesterday. So far I like the sound of the my SVS PB12-plus with this platform. The floor does not vibrate as much, which is a good thing since I live in an apt. The bass certainly seems to be more evenly distributed now.

Nice going.

I have 4 of them under my Subs and there is a big improvement for sure.

Terry

post #1041 of 1318 Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post

Nice going.

I have 4 of them under my Subs and there is a big improvement for sure.

Terry

Thanks Terry. By the way, I looked at all your pics of your HT system and I think everything looks really nice. That is one big Runco projector.

Matt
post #1042 of 1318 Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree...I had 4 15's in an apartment. They were 2 dual opposed mfw's with a behringer ep4000 powering them. All you need to do is not be a dumbass when it comes to playing them. When it is really late at night I use audyssey dynamic volume to make sure that I can still hear dialog when I have the system turned down. Whenever I demo my subs or want to play around with them I make sure that I do it during the day. All gig have to do is be respectful and smart about how you play them at certain times and you should have no problems. The grammas work great for getting rid of pesky vibrations being transferred to the floorboards just like they are supposed to. I am a strong believer that anyone can have any sub they choose and their living situation should have nothing to do with the sub purchase or what they want to run in their
home theater.
post #1043 of 1318 Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzollinger View Post

Good deal! My floor isn't reall stable either, I can feel it when people walk by. I've had to turn up the sub more than I'd like too, so I'm hoping it'll be working more efficiently so I should be able to turn it down AND get better frequency response!

You will not get any better frequency response by using an isolation pad/gramma with your sub. One day I wanted to see of I actually would indeed actually get better frequency response with my grammas. I took measurements with and without the gramma in place and there is actually no difference in frequency response. I believe that I do get a better sound but that could just be in my head. The only purpose for the isolation pads/grammas is to cut down on the transference of energy to the floors and walls. Basically things don't vibrate as much and thats all your gonna get.
post #1044 of 1318 Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

Basically things don't vibrate as much and thats all your gonna get.

Yes. When stuff vibrates along with the sub it makes it sound horrible. You can't hear any detail. When you eliminate all vibrations you only hear the sub and that improves clarity and makes the sub sound so much better.

The only sound you should be hearing is the sub. Thats the point.

home theater addict
post #1045 of 1318 Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 PM

Liked: 17
Had mine for 2 years under my MFW-15. I bought it because I was having vibration issues with the windows, baseboard heat covers, etc. Put the Gramma pad underneath and nearly all of the vibration issues have been solved since

My life is set at reference level.
post #1046 of 1318 Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks Terry. By the way, I looked at all your pics of your HT system and I think everything looks really nice. That is one big Runco projector.

Thanks .........

Your right it is a rather large unit but being ceiling mounted it is up there so not in the way.

A very nice Surprise to me was the fact it is so quiet.
And I do run mine on the "High Lamp Setting".
My screen is a 123" Stewart Grayhawk so I want the picture bright and it is for sure.

Terry

post #1047 of 1318 Old 04-08-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I disagree...I had 4 15's in an apartment. They were 2 dual opposed mfw's with a behringer ep4000 powering them. All you need to do is not be a dumbass when it comes to playing them. When it is really late at night I use audyssey dynamic volume to make sure that I can still hear dialog when I have the system turned down. Whenever I demo my subs or want to play around with them I make sure that I do it during the day. All gig have to do is be respectful and smart about how you play them at certain times and you should have no problems. The grammas work great for getting rid of pesky vibrations being transferred to the floorboards just like they are supposed to. I am a strong believer that anyone can have any sub they choose and their living situation should have nothing to do with the sub purchase or what they want to run in their
home theater.

You have cool neighbors or a well made apt building. I agree discretion with volume can help, but in the 1920s buildings around here, even that was sometimes not enough. Heck in one building I thought "wow my neighbors watch porn pretty loud!" until I realized it wasn't a video.....

Build Thread:
post #1048 of 1318 Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My pair of Hsu VTF-2 MK4 subs were sitting on carpet installed over hardwood flooring and they would really make quite a rumble during heavy bass audio tracks, so I purchased a couple of the Auralex GRAMMA isolators and slipped one under each sub and they made a huge difference. No more rumbling, vibrating floors, and bass tones sound much cleaner having all that rumbling removed.

After seeing how they were put together I feel like they wouldn't be too hard to put together myself, but I'm not regretting spending $50 each for them at all.

oz
post #1049 of 1318 Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

You have cool neighbors or a well made apt building. I agree discretion with volume can help, but in the 1920s buildings around here, even that was sometimes not enough. Heck in one building I thought "wow my neighbors watch porn pretty loud!" until I realized it wasn't a video.....

well I agree with him. I have a pretty decent sub (Outlaw LFM-1 EX) on a Gramma in an apartment (1st floor) and I more than crank it when I want to have fun and have yet to have a complaint (knock on wood). I've been enjoying it for almost a year now.

Just use common sense when using it...although I can't wait until next year when I move into a house I can truly enjoy it without worrying about a neighbor.

Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #1050 of 1318 Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
will furniture sliders work just as well
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers