Auralex Subdude Owners Thread - Page 45 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1321 of 1348 Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I'm confused. Is that a yes, put the SubDude-HT on a small rug, or no, it's not necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1348 Old 03-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbk View Post
Sorry, I'm confused. Is that a yes, put the SubDude-HT on a small rug, or no, it's not necessary?
I'm not sure what the point is. It won't help or hurt the performance of the subdude. It may look better with a rug???

If your goal is to insulate the sound from traveling then neither a rug or a subdude is going to help. It can help with vibrations only.
gymnos likes this.
post #1323 of 1348 Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 PM

I could care less how it looks.

Hsu Research suggests placing a rug under their subwoofers. My question was, simply, is that necessary when the sub sits on a SubDude. Sounds like you're saying no, it's not necessary to have BOTH a SubDude AND a rug under the subwoofer.

(Appreciate your help, though frankly this was a simple question requiring a simple answer - yes or no - that you've somehow managed to turn into something vague and confusing. Amazing.)
post #1324 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
I could care less how it looks.

Hsu Research suggests placing a rug under their subwoofers. My question was, simply, is that necessary when the sub sits on a SubDude. Sounds like you're saying no, it's not necessary to have BOTH a SubDude AND a rug under the subwoofer.

(Appreciate your help, though frankly this was a simple question requiring a simple answer - yes or no - that you've somehow managed to turn into something vague and confusing. Amazing.)
Sorry....wheat I meant was, the subdude doesn't really do anything...putting carpet under the subdude will have the same effect....none. Sub produce bass from the driver and/or port. The bass travels through the air causing vibrations throughout rooms and houses. If the cab interacting with the floor was what produced bass, we would not need drivers. At high drive levels, subs can vibrate a bit...so using ten cent foam pads on the feet does the trick.
post #1325 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 AM

Is a throw rug under my subwoofer still a good idea now that I have a SubDude?

Okay, thanks again for your time. But to be perfectly honest, it never occurred to me that someone who thinks the SubDude "doesn't really do anything" would choose to answer my question. Didn't see that coming. Your answer, though well intended, doesn't really answer it. (It's as if I asked someone on an astronomy forum "how long does it take the Earth to revolve around the Sun?" and someone replied "It doesn't; the Sun revolves around the Earth."

So let's try this again. Perhaps this time an actual SubDude user can speak up:

Hsu Research says "Your subwoofer was designed to fire downward onto carpet. If you have hardwood flooring, use a throw rug under the subwoofer." My question: is it still advisable to use a throw rug under the subwoofer if the subwoofer is on a SubDude?

Thanks!

Last edited by richardbk; 03-09-2015 at 08:25 AM. Reason: To readdress my question to an actual SubDude user
post #1326 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have a subdude. Don't waste your money.
AllenA07 and gymnos like this.

post #1327 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay, thanks again for your time. But to be perfectly honest, it never occurred to me that someone who thinks the SubDude "doesn't really do anything" would choose to answer my question. Didn't see that coming. Your answer, though well intended, doesn't really answer it. (It's as if I asked someone on an astronomy forum "how long does it take the Earth to revolve around the Sun?" and someone replied "It doesn't; the Sun revolves around the Earth."

Hsu Research says "Your subwoofer was designed to fire downward onto carpet. If you have hardwood flooring, use a throw rug under the subwoofer." My question: is it still advisable to use a throw rug under the subwoofer if the subwoofer is on a SubDude?

Thanks!
OK lets try this again. Put your sub on your floor...any type you have, and measure its in room response. This is what you hear. Now put it on the subdude foam thing and measure again. There will be no difference in the in room response, since it does not do anything. That means it will also sound the same, even if one tricks themselves into thinking it sounds different. Adding a piece of carpet will give the same result...(edit..see Bill's response below regarding carpet). I don't have to own a $50 piece of foam to know that it does not affect how a subwoofer sounds.

Last edited by bear123; 03-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.
post #1328 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1958
Quote:
Hsu Research says "Your subwoofer was designed to fire downward onto carpet. If you have hardwood flooring, use a throw rug under the subwoofer."
That recommendation is made so that above bandwidth harmonics that otherwise would reflect into the room and back at the driver will be damped by the carpet.
WhskyTangoFoxtrt likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #1329 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
That recommendation is made so that above bandwidth harmonics that otherwise would reflect into the room and back at the driver will be damped by the carpet.
This is only for the down-firing woofers and for the reason Bill has expertly explained.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #1330 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
OK lets try this again. Put your sub on your floor...any type you have, and measure its in room response. This is what you hear. Now put it on the subdude foam thing and measure again. There will be no difference in the in room response, since it does not do anything. That means it will also sound the same, even if one tricks themselves into thinking it sounds different. Adding a piece of carpet will give the same result...(edit..see Bill's response below regarding carpet). I don't have to own a $50 piece of foam to know that it does not affect how a subwoofer sounds.
I purchased a great gramma for my sub, and decided to try this. Now before running the test I had thought that results would be that the thing does nothing. I've never noticed any kind of difference, not even a placebo effect, since I started using it. After running REW and looking at the response, I didn't see any real difference other then the occasional +-1db or so fluctuation that is probably more related to small changes that occurred in the room when I moved things around. I bought some snake oil on this one, it happens and I'm glad it only cost me $60.
bear123 likes this.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
post #1331 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I live in a second floor apartment - ancient wooden floors - in an old brownstone. My Hsu VTF-2 Mk 4 is sitting on a SubDude-HT, which sits in the corner on the bare wooden floor.

Question: should I place a small area rug under the SubDude-HT? Or is that redundant and unnecessary?

Thanks!
My opinion the rug is not necessary.

Yes they do work it's just according to the application.

Below are some pics of them in my H/T.

Below they are under the rear subs.

They are under the front two subs.

The techs resized them to fit properly.

They are also under the Side speakers on the wall stands.

Terry[/quote]

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 03-09-2015 at 01:27 PM.
post #1332 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
My opinion the rug is not necessary.
Thanks, Terry! It only took 13 posts for someone to finally answer my question. Which was not "should I get a SubDude?," "Does a SubDude really work?," "How can I tell if my SubDude is working?," or "Is a SubDude worth the cost?".

Whew. I was beginning to feel like Alex Trebek on SNL's version of "Jeopardy".
post #1333 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thanks, Terry! It only took 13 posts for someone to finally answer my question. Which was not "should I get a SubDude?," "Does a SubDude really work?," "How can I tell if my SubDude is working?," or "Is a SubDude worth the cost?".

Whew. I was beginning to feel like Alex Trebek on SNL's version of "Jeopardy".
Richard,

It's just like anything out there in the market place some people like and some people don't.

My opinion is along with others on this lengthy thread if your sub/subs are like mine over a garage.
Then they will help in keeping the kitchen cabinet contents from Rattling.
That's why I say it simply comes down to application.
Take an apartment that is on an upper floor.
They might just help keep from Disturbing the people below you.

I'm not an expert on using them so sorry buddy the above is all I can offer in my limited knowledge of using them.
I do know they work in my applications and if I had to make the decision today to use them or not use them I would still use them.

Some people have very limited budgets so telling another person to just go order them might not be feasible.

If you are not restricted on cost get the darn things like I did and give them a try.

One thing for sure IMHO your not going to be any worse off other than their cost.

Terry
post #1334 of 1348 Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1436
Just as long as you don't need "techs" that can cut the foam to shape....boy that is some high tech technical ****!
post #1335 of 1348 Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Just as long as you don't need "techs" that can cut the foam to shape....boy that is some high tech technical ****!
I have no idea who you are but I'll leave this thought for you.
If you don't like a discussion on any internet site why not just move on and read what you do like.
I'm sure my post was to Richard the member that ask the question to me.
Not to guys like you with the wise ass comments.

Terry
post #1336 of 1348 Old 03-10-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have no idea who you are but I'll leave this thought for you.
If you don't like a discussion on any internet site why not just move on and read what you do like.
I'm sure my post was to Richard the member that ask the question to me.
Not to guys like you with the wise ass comments.

Terry
I do enjoy the entertainment here and have already posted my feelings about these pieces of foam....but it is a public forum so you don't always get to hear what you want to.
post #1337 of 1348 Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason you are getting these responses is because most forum members don't want people to spend money on things that don't do anything. Like high end exotic cables. Or an expensive piece of foam to put their sub on. Subs produce bass from the driver and/or port that travels through the air and through walls and ceilings and floors. A piece of foam under the sub does not change that.

I was browsing through the first couple of pages of the thread, and found it quite amusing how many people found their subs to be more musical, tighter, more accurate after putting it on a piece of foam. One user even reported that the bass no longer hurt their ears.........

If someone truly wants to buy one of these, have at it. But for those who are asking if they are going to get some improvement out of their sub by putting it on a magical flotation device, some of us want to steer people in the right direction.

Last edited by bear123; 03-10-2015 at 04:50 PM.
post #1338 of 1348 Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I do enjoy the entertainment here and have already posted my feelings about these pieces of foam....but it is a public forum so you don't always get to hear what you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The reason you are getting these responses is because most forum members don't want people to spend money on things that don't do anything. Like high end exotic cables. Or an expensive piece of foam to put their sub on. Subs produce bass from the driver and/or port that travels through the air and through walls and ceilings and floors. A piece of foam under the sub does not change that.

I was browsing through the first couple of pages of the thread, and found it quite amusing how many people found their subs to be more musical, tighter, more accurate after putting it on a piece of foam. One user even reported that the bass no longer hurt their ears.........

If someone truly wants to buy one of these, have at it. But for those who are asking if they are going to get some improvement out of their sub by putting it on a magical flotation device, some of us want to steer people in the right direction.
Hey guys,

I'm not even thinking that you guys would even remotely think just maybe other people could possibly be right.

You all have to be right of course.

So you always being right it just now came to me the rest of the AVS Members with a difference of opinion should simply keep their opinions to ourselves.

Sorry guys for posting on here and messing up your perfect world you two have.

Terry
post #1339 of 1348 Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you always being right it just now came to me the rest of the AVS Members with a difference of opinion should simply keep their opinions to ourselves.

Terry
As Bill Fitzmaurice has in his signature.."The laws of physics are not swayed by opinion."
post #1340 of 1348 Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

This is why I don't post here very often. Try to answer a question and the OP gets an attitude. Sorry, I wasn't simple enough. NO. Don't put a rug under it if you don't want to. It won't make a difference other than APPEARANCE. Clear enough? Now be sure to fire something back at me to make yourself feel better.

As for weather it works or not... If you are measuring you are looking for it to solve the wrong problem. All it will do is ease the vibrations that cause your door and windows to rattle. This is not rocket science. Without the Great Gramma my floor in my 60 year old house is part of the sound. With them the house no longer is part of the sound. Pretty simple really.

If you are handy I'm sure you can make your own. Of course if you are handy you can make your own subwoofer too. I chose to purchase both. Mine are not better nor are they worse.
post #1341 of 1348 Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 87
waste of money unless your in dewds situation, had one, noticed small drop in door and window rattles, zero difference in sound. I gave mine to a friend who has a band, he commented that using it on a raised stage hollow underneath it improved the sound of bass. unless your want it for either of those uses save your dough, HD and diy for $10, pointless for most HT
post #1342 of 1348 Old Today, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
waste of money unless your in dewds situation, had one, noticed small drop in door and window rattles, zero difference in sound
For some of us, that's exactly what we're after...reduction in the rattle/disturbance of neighbors. That's what I was hoping it would do in my situation living in an apartment, and that's what it did/does. I won't use a sub without one again until I get back into a house.

PS. Tigerhonaker, WOW, what a great lookin' theater!!
post #1343 of 1348 Old Today, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I remember about a year ago on AVS, someone made a similar comment as you just did to another AVS mbr. As it turned out, that mbr was visually impaired and simply unable to do the job himself.
post #1344 of 1348 Old Today, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
For some of us, that's exactly what we're after...reduction in the rattle/disturbance of neighbors. That's what I was hoping it would do in my situation living in an apartment, and that's what it did/does. I won't use a sub without one again until I get back into a house.

PS. Tigerhonaker, WOW, what a great lookin' theater!!

I appreciate your compliment.
It is all I could have ever wanted.
The Audio and Video match each other perfectly so I'm very well pleased.

You know it's really sad that on every internet site I am a member on there are always the {Know-it-Alls}.
Just like this site and a simple discussion about a product.
You would think if there are those that don't like the product and they said so.
Then they would simply stop !!!
But instead of that they just have to beat other members up that do like the product.
So many members just throw their hands up and figure why continue to post when I an going to have to put up with the Haters.
In my case I could care less what the Haters have to say and don't really care what their opinions are.
The exact same way they don't care what my and other members opinions are that like the product.
Bottom line is really simple I suppose we will just have to try our best to overlook the Haters as best we can.

Terry
post #1345 of 1348 Old Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate your compliment.
It is all I could have ever wanted.
The Audio and Video match each other perfectly so I'm very well pleased.

You know it's really sad that on every internet site I am a member on there are always the {Know-it-Alls}.
Just like this site and a simple discussion about a product.
You would think if there are those that don't like the product and they said so.
Then they would simply stop !!!
But instead of that they just have to beat other members up that do like the product.
So many members just throw their hands up and figure why continue to post when I an going to have to put up with the Haters.
In my case I could care less what the Haters have to say and don't really care what their opinions are.
The exact same way they don't care what my and other members opinions are that like the product.
Bottom line is really simple I suppose we will just have to try our best to overlook the Haters as best we can.

Terry
The way you've designed that room is fantastic, as well...talk about a great place to see a movie!!

And I agree on all counts. Common courtesy seems to have taken a back seat to other stuff on internet forums these days...thankfully it's not the majority
post #1346 of 1348 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
The way you've designed that room is fantastic, as well...talk about a great place to see a movie!!

And I agree on all counts. Common courtesy seems to have taken a back seat to other stuff on internet forums these days...thankfully it's not the majority
We are both on the same line of thinking.

Take Care,
Terry
post #1347 of 1348 Old Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We are both on the same line of thinking.

Take Care,
Terry
Back atcha
post #1348 of 1348 Old Today, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I apologize didn't know Tigger was blind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Auralex , Auralex Subdude 15 X 15 X 2 Inch Isolation Riser

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page