Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczolton View Post

^^^
You don't live next to me, do you?

LOL. I don't know if I do or not? Where do you live?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1318 Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy999 View Post

HI All. I'm confused about when the subdude makes sense to use. In my case, I have a room that's carpeted, thick pad, but on a floor with a basement. Normal subflooring and joists. Will these make any difference in decoupling the subs further than what the carpet/pad do already?

Or are these really for situation where the subs are on a hardwood floor with no isolation?

Thanks

Not much gain in this case.

The subdude has major impact when using with subs sitting on a hardwood floor on thinner pads. And a near must for compact subs from REL,Sunfire,Carver,Definitive,SVS SB12,Velo SPL/smaller HGS/DD subs...

These when pushed hard will vibrate and you can correct the situation using thick,fat soft rubber pads to some extent. I use Auralex as well as cheapo very thick (1/2-3/4") rubber/foam pads. These almost do the job of the Auralex.

The greatest gain was with the Sunfire D8,the smallest sub.It really eliminates the most serious problem in all tiny very highe excustion subs,buzzing or squeaking on the pads when violent deep bass outbursts arrive.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #183 of 1318 Old 03-27-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

This may be obvious, but here it goes anyway. The Auralex is equally effective for downward firing subs as it is for front firing, right?

I just purchased a Paradigm Seismic 12, and it will be sitting on a hardwood floor over a crawl space. I already own the Auralex, from a previous sub that was front firing, so I can try it out for myself, but was curious if anyone knew the answer.
post #184 of 1318 Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

This may be obvious, but here it goes anyway. The Auralex is equally effective for downward firing subs as it is for front firing, right?

It's probably more effective for downward firing subs. Since they tend to be quite good at vibrating the floorboards.

I've got a SVS CS-Ultra and just recently put about three inches of foam underneath it. Probably overkill, but it does sound less boomy than before.
post #185 of 1318 Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 PM

Is there a way to tell if your room needs one of these by how much vibration you can feel in the walls/floor? Should you feel it more in the floor than you can in your chest(I can)? Or is that a sign you need one of these?

When I first got my VRP 1000, I didn't put the feet on at first(they got tossed aside in the fun of a "new toy"), and when I found them a few hours later and stuck them on, I was shocked at how much of an improvement sticking a few nickel-sized rubber pads to the sub made. I'm wondering if that might be a sign my room has severe floor vibration issues, despite the carpeting(it's not terribly thick carpet). I was planning on blowing off this purchase for another year until I'm in college and have neighbors to worry about, but this thread made me think otherwise. Any help?

-Jason
post #186 of 1318 Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM

Quick question.... I ordered a Great GRAMMA to put under my SVS PB12-Ultra/2 (I have very springy hardwood floors). After reading this entire thread a couple of times I have high hopes for this product and my vibration/rattle issues. The question is, does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should remove the rubber feet, which came preattached to the bottom of my SVS PB12-Ultra/2 (there were additional rubber feet included with the sub which I didn't use) before I set it atop the Great GRAMMA? What have others with the PB12-Ultra/2 done?
post #187 of 1318 Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGIV View Post

Quick question.... I ordered a Great GRAMMA to put under my SVS PB12-Ultra/2 (I have very springy hardwood floors). After reading this entire thread a couple of times I have high hopes for this product and my vibration/rattle issues. The question is, does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should remove the rubber feet, which came preattached to the bottom of my SVS PB12-Ultra/2 (there were additional rubber feet included with the sub which I didn't use) before I set it atop the Great GRAMMA? What have others with the PB12-Ultra/2 done?

I use the Gramma under my PB12-ISD, and I've tried it with the stock feet, as well as the little rubber feet that can be added, and didn't notice a difference either way. I believe the conventional wisdom is that it doesn't much matter what feet you use to couple the sub to the Auralex. It works great in my apartment by the way. Really contains the booms and rattles while keeping the bass nice and punchy.
post #188 of 1318 Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just ordered the great gramma for my SVS PB12 Plus/2. I have carpeted wood floors over a crawlspace so it sounds like this is just the thing for my livingroom. Thanks for all the info here.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

Xbox Live Gamertag: AVS Steve
post #189 of 1318 Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtful Goat View Post

Is there a way to tell if your room needs one of these by how much vibration you can feel in the walls/floor? Should you feel it more in the floor than you can in your chest(I can)? Or is that a sign you need one of these?

You shouldn't really feel the floor vibrating. If you can then the floor is acting like a big speaker, and smearing the bass sounds.

Try this. Stand in the middle of your room and bounce up and down. Don't jump off the floor and slam back down like you're auditioning for Blue Man Group, just a moderate bounce. If nothing much happens then your floor is pretty solid. If it's like my room then it shakes and rattles everything in the room. That's a pretty good sign you need a Subdude, or something like it.
post #190 of 1318 Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post

This thread reminds me of the recommendation I remember reading back in some old Stereophile, which was to use four tennis balls under the feet of the sub to act as a decoupling device.

Has anyone tried this? If so, how does it compare to the results of the Subdude? Anyone with a Subdude want to try an A/B test?

Scott

I asked this question just over a year ago, and I don't think anyone's ever taken me up on the challenge.

Does anyone have any interest in doing a comparison between the Subdude or Gramma and tennis balls?

Scott

post #191 of 1318 Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 PM

jeffrey r- Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just leave the existing feet on and try it that way. According to tracking the Great GRAMMA should be here sometime on Wednesday.
post #192 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 AM

My Grand GRAMMA arrived yesterday. What a difference! Best $99 I ever spent! Prior to slipping the Grand GRAMMA under my SVS PB12-Ultra/2, the top of my right front speaker (CSW MC600HD on CSW's matching stand), the one closest to the SVS, would oscillate about 3/8" - 1/2" back and forth when I played track #2 from Bass Mekanik's "Reload" album. With the Grand GRAMMA, all oscillations, buzzes and rattles are gone! Deep bass is much tighter and cleaner sounding. I highly recommend this product!
post #193 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

PGIV, sounds good My gramma arrives tomorrow for my pb12 plus/2.

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

post #194 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Seems like one could buy these http://www.truesoundcontrol.com/prod...TSHEETSIN.html and make their own platform, custom sized to their sub, and provide a Platfoam thickness of 2" below the entire length of their sub. Hmmmm......I think I will try it. Shipping is free.
post #195 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Seems like one could buy these http://www.truesoundcontrol.com/prod...TSHEETSIN.html and make their own platform, custom sized to their sub, and provide a Platfoam thickness of 2" below the entire length of their sub. Hmmmm......I think I will try it. Shipping is free.

yeah i was thinking the same thing for my 25-31 pci. what would you use for the platform material?
post #196 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Subdude looks like a hunk of MDF covered in carpet. I have some Ipe planks(extremely dense wood) in my garage that I could use. Since the Platfoam is the actual "decoupler", it really shouldn't matter what the subwoofer sits on, as long as that substance doesn't create its own resonances, and as long as only Platfoam touches the floor.
post #197 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM

i wonder if one of these would maybe correct my issue, i have a image dynamics 12" dual 2 ohm sub installed in a ported 3 way floor standing enclosure. the tweeter and mid arent hooked up, only the sub recieves power from a dayton audio 240 watt plate amp. it sounds great the only problem is the actual whole enclosure vibrates on the floor itself. its a concrete floor with linoleum layed over it. every so often after a few days i actually have to reposition the enclosure because it ends up moving from its position. it also makes a slight rattle sometimes as it vibrates against the floor. i thought of maybe putting a towel or some type of foam pad under it, but i havent actually tried it yet.
post #198 of 1318 Old 04-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

The Subdude looks like a hunk of MDF covered in carpet. I have some Ipe planks(extremely dense wood) in my garage that I could use. Since the Platfoam is the actual "decoupler", it really shouldn't matter what the subwoofer sits on, as long as that substance doesn't create its own resonances, and as long as only Platfoam touches the floor.

cool. so maybe i can grab some MDF? scrap carpet for aesthetics. so you're saying you would attach the foam to the bottom of the wood so the sub sits on the wood portion with the foam resting on the floor? the wood sandwiched between the sub and the foam?

how would you attach the foam? i was thinking something along the lines of a car headliner adhesive (spray contact cement). spray the board and the back of the foam (after cutting to size) roll the foam onto the platform and spread and firm down w/ the palms of your hands. thats how i did my bronco headliner and IMO would be the same philosophy.

this seems like a really easy project that could be built to perfectly fit any sub. how much is MDF?
post #199 of 1318 Old 04-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

this seems like a really easy project that could be built to perfectly fit any sub. how much is MDF?

You should be able to buy more MDF than you need for $10 or so. A 2X4 sheet of 3/4" is usually in the $8 range. If your platform is going to be less than 2X2 then you can buy one sheet and double up on the thickness. Probably not necessary, but it'll be nice and strong that way.

As for the feet there's nothing magical about this platfoam stuff. It's just foam blocks. Any similar material will work. You want something soft enough to act as a shock absorber, but stiff enough to withstand the sub's weight without squashing all out of shape.
post #200 of 1318 Old 04-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

screw it i'm swamped with work and no time for DIY right now. i ordered the great gramma for my 25-31 and i'm hoping it will tame some boominess on it. it's not terribly boomy but, i have very limited placement options so i'm hoping it will help out. i have berber over a plywood sub floor over a concrete foundation and i do feel vibrations through the floor at times. again not too bad but, it is there if $99 helps it it'll be a great quick investment. if it doesn't this is one purchase i will send back.
post #201 of 1318 Old 04-28-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any particular reason why you went with the great GRAMMA instead of the smaller versions? Seems like the cylinders would fit pretty nicely on the 15x15 subdude.

Jeremy Gillow
post #202 of 1318 Old 04-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

Any particular reason why you went with the great GRAMMA instead of the smaller versions? Seems like the cylinders would fit pretty nicely on the 15x15 subdude.

the cylinder base on the sub i think is exactly 15" in diameter. i was worried about it being too tight of a fit and the laws of gravity with a taller sub. if it was a box sub i would've just gotten a gramma or subdude. i guess i was worried about the cylinder being unstable due to it's height. so with the great gramma being 30" x 19" it may be overkill but i should have a couple inches of play as far as the diameter of the sub goes.

with the added length of the great gramma i thought maybe i would have some extra play space, so i can tuck it and the sub into the corner a little tighter and maybe eliminate some of the boom i found when i had the sub all the way into the corner. as of now due to boominess i moved the sub about a foot out of the corner and a foot to the right along the front wall. i know that may not work but, maybe it will. if i place the great gramma in the corner i have 30" of play i can move the sub around on IMO making it a bit easier to correct it's placement. rahter than a smaller pad where i would have to lift the sub off the riser move the riser etc. etc. with a larger pad it just seems more flexible in finding a better spot. also being a bit bigger maybe it would dampen things a bit better? if that makes any sense.

i know i could use treatments to help that but, right now i cant do that.
post #203 of 1318 Old 05-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

got my great gramma for my 22-31 pci yesterday from sweetwater. great company btw, quick shipping. 5 days from indiana (i believe) to socal. ordered on monday had it by friday in time to check out the pre-release dvd of apocalypto- great movie.

couple notes on the great gramma: it is long obviously. but, IMO thats a good thing as there is more absorption materials underneath. i tucked the gramma and butted it right into the corner and then put my sub almost at the end of it- further along the wall away from the corner about 2 feet. i didn't put it all the way at the end of the gramma as i was afraid it may tip it due to the length of the great gramma. i left about 4- 6" on the end.

i felt tucking the gramma into the corner would lower the resonating of the corner there. the extra length was handy for that. it also looks like a DIY like we spoke of earlier is not as simple as just the platfoam and mdf. i mean it isn't rocket science but, it does have some of that purple corner or bass trap material under it as well, so that may bump up the price of a DIY project. all in all IMO a longer gramma means more absorption which made sense to me plus a little more room to play with placement of the sub without having to lift the sub and the gramma- within reason of course.

so after getting it in place. i DID notice a definite difference immediately with a quick test of some garbage bass heavy gangsta movie on HBO HD. while watching apocalypto for my full evaluation (which has some pretty heavy bass parts), after checking the spl calibration, i noticed a BIG decrease in floor resonance and corner boom. there was some floor resonance in some REALLY deep parts of the soundtrack but, i would say they were reduced by about 80%. i would say the corner boom was reduced by the same. i still felt the bass but more in the chest kind of thing rather than through the floor. much cleaner, and even though i had the volume turned up fairly loud i didn't get the usual "GOD ISN'T IT A LITTLE LOUD" complaints that i used to get from the other 1/2on the bass heavy parts- which was nice. my floor is berber carpet over plywood over concrete. as far as WAF i didn't tell her i ordered it, and she still doesn't even know it's there. but, i do have my svs cylinder in that corner behind a chair. which sort of conceals it but, you can see one end of it.

so all in all i think it was a nice little investment. i don't think it will take the place of proper room treatments. but, we don't all have the option of doing that right now do we? i also think coupled with an EQ like the BFD for $99 as well- which i will be picking up here in the next few weeks- it can really help taming some issues and make things much better.

my 2 cents...
post #204 of 1318 Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Ok, question. Out of all of the people who loves their Auralex (and there are obviously alot of you that do), how many of you use it on carpeted floors?
post #205 of 1318 Old 05-18-2007, 06:52 PM

Mine are on carpeted floors over wood with a raised foundation, and what a difference!!!

post #206 of 1318 Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Same here, carpeted floors over a crawlspace and it makes a huge difference!

Elite PRO-70X5FD!

dvdguru

post #207 of 1318 Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 PM

I bought the Gramma Isolation Riser for my 20-39 PCi.

I have carpet over a subfloor and what I noticed was much less vibration from the floor. It's still there but not as much.
It was worth the $50.
post #208 of 1318 Old 05-19-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVER_KILL View Post

I bought the Gramma Isolation Riser for my 20-39 PCi.

I have carpet over a subfloor and what I noticed was much less vibration from the floor. It's still there but not as much.
It was worth the $50.

Thats nice to hear. I actually just bought a Gramma the other day also for my 20-39PCi that was spose to arrive today but I was asleep when the UPS guy was here. I gotta wait till Monday now to test the SVS and Gramma
post #209 of 1318 Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 AM

So I live in a pretty large loft style condo on the 3rd floor with brand new construction. I told the salespeople that I have a pretty serious home theater setup before I bought and wanted to be assured that the neighbors won't complain. He gave me a walk through showing me the construction... between each unit both on the sides, top and bottom... there is airspace between the walls so that it is like being in seperate houses. There is also a ton of airspace between our floor and our neighbors ceiling... with a floor made of wood, but weighed down with a layer of concrete. He assured me that it would be fine.

Well fast forward 8 months and we haven't really been getting direct complaints, but even though they say it is ok... it seems they have been hinting that my system composed of B&W towers, and Hsu VTF-3 has been too loud... especially the bass.

The system is in a big room with hardwood floors... and you can still feel the floor vibrate alot with people just walking on it.

So what is it the transmits the sound... is it the vibrating floor and walls acting as a giant speaker? if the Subdude isolates the vibrations from the subwoofer... then the sound transmitted via air should not get through to my neighbors as much right?

Also... I have noticed that my B&W's seem a bit colored... they sit directly on the floor as well. Will these help?

http://www.truesoundcontrol.com/products/MOPAD3.html

Thanks...
post #210 of 1318 Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you guys use between your sub and gramma? Does it matta?

I think my sub has rubber feet underneath, that may be removable.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Auralex , Auralex Subdude 15 X 15 X 2 Inch Isolation Riser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page