AVS Forum banner

Auralex Subdude Owners Thread

310K views 1K replies 475 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 ·

I have a beast of a sub on the third floor of my townhome. On the advice of some members here, I ordered an Auralex Subdude from Sweetwater.com.

I have never gotten more bang (slam) for the buck than what I got from the Subdude. Freakin' amazing improvement in sound. Areas in an upstairs loft no longer resonate. My wet bar no longer rattles. My cat stopped pissing the carpet during action movies. Music is much better too. I actually can differentiate between a kick drum and the bass line now. I can't rave enough about the improvement.

These things are an amazing improvement for ANYONE who has a sub on a plywood/carpet floor. You will not find another way to blow $50 that provides as much improvement as the Subdude.

#3 ·

Quote:
Areas in an upstairs loft no longer resonate. My wet bar no longer rattles. My cat stopped pissing the carpet during action movies.

Well, wheres the fun in that?

#4 ·
Problem is, with all this 90 degree weather here in So Cal, the cat smell was getting overwhelming. Where are the damn air conditioning people when you need 'em, eh?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Yeo /forum/post/0

Any difference from the Auralex GRAMMA?

just the colors, everything else is the same

#9 ·
Agreed, my VTF3-MKII is much tighter after adding the subdude. Having the sub in the corner with a 120 inch picture window behind, rattling was a huge issue. The subdude didn't eliminate the rattles, but greatly reduced them. Well worth the small cash output.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim /forum/post/0

I always wonder why they do that? Are the dimensions exactly the same?

Oliver

Exactly!

Before I purchased one I contacted Auralex to find out if they could make custom sizes, their answer.....NO!

It needs to be about 4in longer and wider to fully support my PB12-ultra/2.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim /forum/post/0

I always wonder why they do that? Are the dimensions exactly the same?

It's just cosmetics. One model has garish writing and labelling, and the other is toned down for best WAF. I have the Gramma, and I sort of wished I bought the Subdude just because it does look kind of cheesy.

#19 ·
After I put the Subdude in, I was able to increase the sub volume, via an SMS-1, from 7 to 13 and still keep a relatively flat curve from 20hz on out. I was suprised that the Subdude was a perfect fit for my M&K MPS 5410. This is the pro version of the MX 5000, so anyone with that sub or an MX 350 (I think) will have a fit so good it looks custom built.

#22 ·
Jake04Goat,

You asked about Pergo floors. I would think the determining factor would be what is under the Pergo. If it is a concrete sub floor, then perhaps it won't make a huge difference. If it is a wooden subfloor with standard wooden framing covered by a plywood sub floor, it should do quite a lot for you. If you experience rattles and buzzing in different parts of your room, or have loud resonance issues in adjacent rooms, the Subdude will help.

#23 ·
My experience here in Los Angeles was that it was impossible to find a Subdude stocked locally, but the Gamma, or Gramma's were a lot easier to find. Had I known that they were basically the same............

#25 ·
Okay, my interest is peaked in getting a subdude now... But how does it decouple the sub from the floor? Is the subdude made out of stiff foam that prevents vibrations from reaching the floor? Or is there more too it than that?

I used to have 2 polk PSW-350 subwoofers, I stacked them on top of each other and put a slightly inflated 12" bicycle inner tube under the bottom, after reading about it on this forum. I haven't tried that with my new 20-39 PC+ SVS.

Will this have the same effect as a subdude in decoupling the sub from the floor? The one thing I am concerned about is that since the sub is downward firing, it may tend to bounce on the inner tube, and may make the sound even worse. What do you guys think?

Oh, I know some would say just spend the $50 to try it, but the dimensions of the subdude will not work for me. If it had a 16" square foot print on the floor, I'd get it, but space is a premium for me and I don't want that big of a platform. Can it be cut down, or any suggestions on how to make my own?

Mike

#26 ·
Ha! Yes, I took your advice. And didn't even give you a footnote....

As far as the shoulder, I am going to have BOTH done on March 8th, by Carlos Guanche. He did my son's hip, and so far, so good. I will PM you a link to the house in Nags Head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.