Buttkicker LFE Kit Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read the Audioholics review of the Buttkicker LFE Kit some time ago, but here's another good Buttkicker LFE Kit review I just found.

http://homeentertainmentreviewer.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2006, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have had the Buttkicker for serveral years and similar to the reviewer, I think that it is a great product. I also think the company is exceptional to deal with and cares about its end users.

From the review it seems like the Buttkicker company is coming out with a remote for their amp unit. That is great news.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-24-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have any forum members compared the Buttkicker to the Crowson? I read the Widescreen Mag review and I find it hard to believe there's much of a difference between the two.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Questions for Buttkicker owners: :confused:

1. Anyone ever hear the shaker rattle at 1/3 the volume level on the amplifier? It seems like it shouldn't be over-driven at this level with the crossover set at 50Hz.

2. Anyone ever feel the Buttkicker when no shaking should be happening? Almost like small pops. Is this related to RF Link? Is there a problem with the RF Link?

3. Whey do some people mount the shakers to the floor, while others use isolation pads? Seems to be opposite extremes. Wouldn't the chair kit without using the isolators be like the best of both worlds? Shaking the chair and to some degree the floor by not isolating the chair from the floor.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-26-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli
Questions for Buttkicker owners: :confused:

1. Anyone ever hear the shaker rattle at 1/3 the volume level on the amplifier? It seems like it shouldn't be over-driven at this level with the crossover set at 50Hz.

Yes, this is possible. The volume of the input signal to the BK amp is also a consideration. However I am assuming that you mean bottoming out (a clang type sound or like a hammer hitting - which is normal but does mean that you are over driving the unit) and not rattle as both have been previously reported on this unit and they are two different sounds. To correct this bottoming out you can just reduce the volume of the BK amp a bit or the input signal to the BK amp.

2. Anyone ever feel the Buttkicker when no shaking should be happening? Almost like small pops. Is this related to RF Link? Is there a problem with the RF Link?

No. But then I do not use the RF unit. I have heard this reported with the RF unit. Try using direct wire and see if this changes. The RF unit could be experiencing some interference from other RF devices.

3. Whey do some people mount the shakers to the floor, while others use isolation pads? Seems to be opposite extremes. Wouldn't the chair kit without using the isolators be like the best of both worlds? Shaking the chair and to some degree the floor by not isolating the chair from the floor.
It depends on what kind of effect you want. Mounting to the floor will eventually transfer energy to your chair and also your feet. Mounting to just your chair via chair kit will should only energize your chair. Yet other have mounted to risers. with isolators on bottom of riser, which should be the same idea as mounting to floor but only keep shaking to riser (and not rest of house where you do not want it).
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2006, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Anyone ever hear the shaker rattle at 1/3 the volume level on the amplifier? It seems like it shouldn't be over-driven at this level with the crossover set at 50Hz.
I had a "rattler", a resonance when it obviously wasn't being overdriven. I sent it back for a new one, had a very positive experience with their customer service.

Quote:
Anyone ever feel the Buttkicker when no shaking should be happening? Almost like small pops. Is this related to RF Link? Is there a problem with the RF Link?
Could be...I think I read that in one of the reviews, an occasional "thump".

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #7 of 9 Old 03-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Just got my first Buttkicker LFE kit yesterday. I've been searching through the forums trying to understand how to get the best effect. I'm using a cheaply set-up riser (3/4" plywood on top of 3 rows of 3 cinder blocks each).

I mounted the buttkicker to the underside middle of the platform and it works pretty well, but I'm wondering if for my setup there isn't something I could do to make it better:

1) Right now I'm just using the cheap interconnect cables that came with the kit. The Audioholics review mentions getting better interconnects. Has anyone compared the difference between using better cables? Is it worth upgrading?

2) I still have the 5 isolators that came with the kit and I'm not using them. Should I use some kind of isolation between the cinder blocks and the platform?
post #8 of 9 Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
I still have the 5 isolators that came with the kit and I'm not using them. Should I use some kind of isolation between the cinder blocks and the platform?
This is critical, as stressed in the manual, the riser needs to be able to shake freely without being grounded to the blocks and floor. The riser doesn't sound particularly rigid, either.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #9 of 9 Old 03-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

I've read that the isolators for risers/ platforms work best along the short sides. Do they do ok just at just the corners or are people isolating the whole short side?

If it's just the short sides, do people still have support for the platform in the middle? Just curious if the platform would sag or bend when people walk on it.
(My platform is only the same length as my couch though if that helps)
Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page