Subwoofer movies that DON'T suck? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 735 Old 06-25-2006, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL
I also felt strange during certains scenes, especially the infamous one. I also felt a little dirty after that scene, I remember saying to myself "what the F's wrong with me for sitting through that, it was very weird because the young lady I find to be attractive and was admiring her as such moments before that scene and then to see that happen just put me in a weird place
Unfortunaley or not it is one of those movies that will stay with you.

How the hell am I supposed to learn anything with all this yackin' going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 735 Old 06-25-2006, 05:01 PM

I dont know if this was mentioned already. But SOLARMAX has some great bass scenes in it. Its an IMAX movie that comes on INHD sometimes. I watched it today and it shook up my whole room during the sun scenes!!
post #363 of 735 Old 06-25-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Another vote for Running Scared. I thought the movie was pretty well done with an interesting plot. DTS ES is a nice touch and they use it well. If you watch at reference, be sure your subs are calibrated and up to the task. Very hot bass centered around 20hz come out of nowhere.

Example: Chapter 9 entering the strip club.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #364 of 735 Old 06-25-2006, 05:49 PM

No one has mentioned "Team America: World Police" yet?

XBL & PSN: BikerTrash525
My Xbox 360 doesn't have a built-in HD DVD player, and that makes me blu.
"FTW" does not mean "For The Win"
post #365 of 735 Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 AM

can someone tell how to level your sub
post #366 of 735 Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerTrashXB View Post

No one has mentioned "Team America: World Police" yet?

That's another thread: Subwoofer Movies that DO Suck.
post #367 of 735 Old 06-26-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch_204 View Post

can someone tell how to level your sub

First, you need an SPL meter, like the ones available from Radio Shack (analog or digital). Second, you have to check to see if your receiver has a test tone for the LFE/sub besides the ones for the speakers (not all receivers have a sub test tone). If your receiver DOES have a sub test tone, then you just need an SPL meter. If it doesn't, then you need an SPL meter, plus the "Avia" setup disc (does both Audio and Video).

Basically you play the test tones and adjust the channel levels in your receiver so that at the same Master Volume setting, the tone plays at the same SPL level from each speaker and from the sub. For example, if your surround speakers are closer to you than your mains, they may be too loud and have to be turned down so they play at the correct volume level compared to the other speakers.

It would be a good idea to pick up Avia anyway. Besides having a lot of patterns for tweaking your video display, it has a wealth of audio test tones for checking speaker levels, phase, phase with the sub (VERY important), and frequency sweeps for checking how flat or bumpy your frequency response is (great for tweaking sub/listening position placement).

HTH
post #368 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 02:48 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post

I'd just like to mention that I very much enjoyed watching The Chronicles of Riddick last night in the H/T, with the Hsu cranked a little too high.

Wife was bugged that I didn't want to watch some 40 days/dick&jane crap, but I was tired and wanted to chill with a movie with a decent storyline and lots of mindless violence.

"You keep what you kill. It is the necromonger way."

Is it bad for me to admit that i've watched Riddick 4 times in 11 days, cuz i've really enjoyed the bass?

"kill the riddick! kill the furian!"

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #369 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I just saw 'over the hedge' at the theater, and in a couple of scenes, the bass was very satisfying.
post #370 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post

Is it bad for me to admit that i've watched Riddick 4 times in 11 days, cuz i've really enjoyed the bass?

yikes, 27% Tomato Rating!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronicles_of_riddick/

you must have a REALLY good subwoofer!
post #371 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Yo Cyber,

I read in one of the subwoofer links that you need a tripod for the spl meter so you can put the spl meter where you would be seating. True?
post #372 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Yes, true.

...the struggle to financial freedom is unfair, the only ones who disagree are millionaires...
--Savage Garden
post #373 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

yikes, 27% Tomato Rating!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chronicles_of_riddick/

you must have a REALLY good subwoofer!

Don't mistake the critical approval rating with that of Joe six pack. Chronicals of Riddick is a horrible movie with a weak story that falls apart early and goes no where. Plot holes are so big you can drive a 18 wheeler through them.

Personally? I loved the movie and have watched it several times.
post #374 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Meter mounted in your seat, at the level your ears would be. Yourself off to the side so as not to interfere with the readings.
post #375 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 PM
IVB
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
So I guess I really shouldn't admit that I watched Meatballs 4 several times as well [back in college, 15 yrs ago].

------------------------------------
I'm on Google Plus a lot more than online forums now, contact me there if you want something.

post #376 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I've watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy about three times. The most impressive LFE scene is when Arthur talks to Trillian after she takes a shower.

There is sustained extremely low frequency bass. It was low enough that my sub hit xmax and that was how I noticed. I would guess it is EASILY under 10hz, it felt like it was even lower in frequency than the earth blowing up scene.
post #377 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUCHO View Post

Don't mistake the critical approval rating with that of Joe six pack. Chronicals of Riddick is a horrible movie with a weak story that falls apart early and goes no where. Plot holes are so big you can drive a 18 wheeler through them.

Personally? I loved the movie and have watched it several times.

well, I just saw "Running Scared" tonight and it wasn't half-bad, so you're right, sometimes the critical approval ratings can be off.
post #378 of 735 Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixrok10 View Post

Yo Cyber,

I read in one of the subwoofer links that you need a tripod for the spl meter so you can put the spl meter where you would be seating. True?

Yes, to get the most accurate, consistent results. Ie., if you are taking readings and plotting them out. It may also be easier that way for more complicated stuff.

But I haven't noticed much of a difference (none at all) by sitting in the LP with the meter in front of my head/face or down a bit doing level matching or meter reading.
post #379 of 735 Old 06-29-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Yes, to get the most accurate, consistent results. Ie., if you are taking readings and plotting them out. It may also be easier that way for more complicated stuff.

But I haven't noticed much of a difference (none at all) by sitting in the LP with the meter in front of my head/face or down a bit doing level matching or meter reading.

Just saw Disney/Pixar's Cars last weekend.

Stunning animation and LFE. I can't wait till this comes out on DVD so I can hear it through my VTF-3 MK2.
post #380 of 735 Old 06-29-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Spike Lee's Inside Man has some great drum music to start off the movie...
post #381 of 735 Old 07-06-2006, 12:55 AM

Amazingly enough..the only movie to ever make my speakers clip was The Polar Express. That movie gets LOUD.
post #382 of 735 Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hmm, let's see here, some of my favorites are...

Lotr, fellowship of the ring; The entire prologue is loaded with deep bass, esp. when the ring is cut from Sauron's hand

Lotr, Return of the king; Again the prologue has amazing lfe effects, and again, the ring is making them. My favorite part of the movie has to be when the army of mordor advances on Minus Tirith, the trolls are beating the drums and the entire army is chanting, shortly after, the trebuchets begin to launch

The Patriot; its a war movie with cannon's what do you expect?

The Lion King; Absolutely phenominal lfe, just after the opening presentation, you will be startled with a powerful "thump" as scar catches his mouse. Also, you will find out just how many thing aren't bolted down in your room when the wildabeasts stampede the gorge

"Star Wars Episode II; The arena scene when the creatures are coming out, the horned beast's footfalls shook my entire body in the theater
post #383 of 735 Old 07-29-2006, 08:34 PM

The Matador

Not a real bass heavy movie but what it does have is very pleasing and even made me flinch as I was just sitting down with my dinner and got caught by surprise. And a scene or two that made make some wanna upgrade One of the better DD tracks IMO.

post #384 of 735 Old 07-29-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by launche View Post

The Matador

Not a real bass heavy movie but what it does have is very pleasing and even made me flinch as I was just sitting down with my dinner and got caught by surprise. And a scene or two that made make some wanna upgrade One of the better DD tracks IMO.

well this isn't much of a subwoofer movie but mamma mia it is one HELL of an awesome movie: "Matador" the Spanish movie directed by Pedro Almodovar. Very hard to find these days but if you do it will be worth it---absolutely amazing!
post #385 of 735 Old 07-29-2006, 10:03 PM

Well I was speaking about the one starring Pierce Bronson released recently. But I will look into the version you speak of since you are so fond of it.

post #386 of 735 Old 07-31-2006, 10:42 AM

I know there may be some debate over whether it qualifies for this list on a quality basis, but Final Destination 2 has some good car crash and logs falling off a truck effects as well as some other rumblings.
post #387 of 735 Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

First of all, the Matador--funny that was brought up. I just watched that last week. I too had the same impression about the bass. THere is about 3 or 4 spots where it flat stomped me in the chest. I remember being startled by it while watching it a couple times. I don't really remember specifically when--I think it was a flashback or two or something. Anyway, I didn't expect any memorable bass in that movie and ended up getting it in a few spots.

Also, Final destination 2--the first real scene of the movie is simply one of the best all time home theater show off scenes you will find. period. Not necessarily the bassiest scene in the world as nothing touches CH5 WOW but for an all around system tester it is near the top. It has, drugs, foul language, blood, guts, carnage, comedy, and a nice pair of fake fun bags fully exposed. Throw in some AC/DC for a topper, as well. The seemingly never ending car crash scene will really test your surrounds, mains, and sub each independently as well as all together. There is some growl and rumble from the trucks that will shake things up, and the famous log drop scene that will force your sub to kick you in the chest. This was one of the scenes a guy at one of my local shops used to show off their theater room--obviously you have to have the correct audience as the scene is definately rated R. However, the crash scene is very, very powerful and it comes at you from every angle. THe first time you watch this scene you will jump, no doubt. I yelled out some things that I can't type here when I was in the demo room. It is one of my favorites.

I have also heard that polar express is acoustically amazing. My mother keeps threatening to bring my 4 neices and nephews over for a watch on my "big TV." I think she wants them to see that and King Kong. That is 5 hours worth of movies I am not sure I would make it through. Speaking of KK, I was kind of torn on this one. The original is obviously one of the greatest classics ever and like most of us, I grew up loving that movie. When I heard they were remaking it, I was torn between "this is going to be awesome" and "they are going to ruin it." After seeing it I still have the same feeling. I didn't totally dislike it, but wasn't all that impressed. I guess it just goes to show that even without computers generating 90% of the visuals you can actually make a good movie. It is almost as if Hollywood now doesn't know how it was done back in the stoneage when people actually had to act and scenery had to be built and special effects were actually "special." I know I sound like an old fart with that even though I just crossed the 30 barrier.

I watched Riddick--it was on cable so it doesn't really count from a real sound comparison as DVD, but the movie as a whole was a bit too mindless for me to really enjoy. I did make it through it and there were some cool sequences, but as a whole a huge let down after the awesome original Pitch Black. I watched Pitch Black not knowing anything about Riddick--except that I was bombarded by commercials as it was already at the theater, so I knew of riddick but that was it. I had no idea the 2 were connected until after the fact. Pitch Black is a pretty good flick.

Above all, enjoy the sound.
You gotta love the internet.
post #388 of 735 Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

Spike Lee's Inside Man has some great drum music to start off the movie...

Thirteen Days [Kevin Costner] is like that also. Not much sound action beyond that but a great movie....and long.
post #389 of 735 Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropKickMurphy View Post

Just saw Disney/Pixar's Cars last weekend.

Stunning animation and LFE. I can't wait till this comes out on DVD so I can hear it through my VTF-3 MK2.

I tried to get in to see it this last w'end but it had already started and the next showing was 2 hours away....so I booked. I'm glad someone saw it. Now I think I'll wait for the DVD in November.
post #390 of 735 Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobgoblin View Post

I dont know if this was mentioned already. But SOLARMAX has some great bass scenes in it. Its an IMAX movie that comes on INHD sometimes. I watched it today and it shook up my whole room during the sun scenes!!

You can get it on DVD. I have it. It clipped DaveN's SVS subs in the one of the last scenes.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page