Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 735 Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Although this film has been mentioned, the Matrix Revolutions, I thought, was a great film for very deep bass and I didn't think it sucked. . . . .too badly.

SPEAK.

--Sincerely,

Finally opened Matrix Reloaded after two years of it being sealed. Bought this and Revolutions just to complete the set, but held off on watching it since they weren't that great in theatres. I actually enjoyed watching Reloaded at home...lots of bass. I'll open up Revolutions and see if I feel the same way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 735 Old 08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Yeah, I actually enjoyed and like all three of the Matrix films - as 2-hour chunks of entertainment and eye- and ear-candy.
post #453 of 735 Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Okay, I enjoyed BBII for exactly what it is, which is totally predictable entertainment. It's a popcorn flick and very enjoyable at that. Tons of awesome surround usage, it's great in 7.1 and lots of guns and explosions.

But I think the point of this thread was to find films for film-buffs, i.e. CINEMA that also has good sound and good bass.

We can all name dozens of big flash-bang action movies like BBII that has a lot of surround action going on, or a lot of bass, but finding real quality film is different.

One I recollect that had some surprisingly deep bass at a few different moments was the film Reconstruction. It's danish I believe. There are some sound effects for like flashbacks that plumb the depths pretty low. Somewhat unexpected as it's really just a drama so it's basically all dialog, but inthe midst of all that was a mini workout for my SVS. And a very intersting film.

Hmmm...I looked up Reconstruction. It's a Drama/Romance???? I dunno...the OP named this thread "Subwoofer movies that DON'T suck". First thing that came to mind was Action movies, cuz come on....who's gonna wanna blast The Notebook on their HT?
post #454 of 735 Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin247 View Post

Finally opened Matrix Reloaded after two years of it being sealed. Bought this and Revolutions just to complete the set, but held off on watching it since they weren't that great in theatres. I actually enjoyed watching Reloaded at home...lots of bass. I'll open up Revolutions and see if I feel the same way...

Man, I did the same thing Sunday night! Wife and kids were out, and it had been a while since I watched "Reloaded". Bass was plentiful. When Neo speaks to the machine "face" the room rumbles nicely!
post #455 of 735 Old 08-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Liked: 17
A great scene to test with a capable subwoofer is the "Burly Brawl" from the Matrix Reloaded. There are lots of different types of bass present in this clip.

All the slow motion sequences have high amplitude bass centered at or around 25 hz. Perhaps a little deeper. Guests at my place feel a bit uneasy after the entire clip has finished.

But the scene that takes the cake for sheer power, I think, is Neo talking to the machine overlord. "SPEAK". Try to play that at reference level with no output compression.

It's scary.

--Sincerely,
post #456 of 735 Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 AM

Liked: 16
My bad!! The scene where Neo speaks to the machine overlord is from "Revolutions", not "Reloaded". Yeah, run that scene near reference level for a scary experience!
post #457 of 735 Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched History of violence a couple days ago--not at all a bass movie, but an excellent full frontal shot of maria bello. However, there is one scene with gunshots that really got my attention--especially a shotgun--it seemed to really kick me in the chest. This makes me more than ever want to watch Open Range with huge gunfight at the end that is supposed to have some excellent kick to it.

Above all, enjoy the sound.
You gotta love the internet.
post #458 of 735 Old 08-09-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheldon View Post

I watched History of violence a couple days ago--not at all a bass movie, but an excellent full frontal shot of maria bello. However, there is one scene with gunshots that really got my attention--especially a shotgun--it seemed to really kick me in the chest. This makes me more than ever want to watch Open Range with huge gunfight at the end that is supposed to have some excellent kick to it.

I didn't care much for History of Violence, except for those gunshots.

I have about 18 of the HT Demo Tree thread demo discs (downloaded and burned), and one of them has much of that gunfight scene. The sound was so awesome I rented the actual movie. Not bad - not GREAT, but decent enough to watch one time, and a nice story to boot. Even if you don't like the movie, the sound effects alone make it worth watching once.
post #459 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched Man on Fire again last night. I think I have mentioned this before. I had to close the doors to my main room to seal it off from the kitchen because there is a bunch of background/mood setting, deep bass rumbles that was causing the dishes in my kitchen to rattle. There is much more bass in this movie than I remember. I listened to it at -5 last night and it really shook thinks up--you have to love DTS soundtracks. There are tons of scenes in the movie that made my clothes flap a bit. Some of his flashbacks are laden with background bass, as well as several explosions, gunshots and a loud techno club scene with huge pumping bass. Plus, I really liked the movie.

Also, watched Master and Commander again last night. I have only watched the whole movie once all the way through and that was before my pb12+/2. There are many scenes besides the initial ecnouter with the French ship (which I have watched/demoed dozens of times) that are highly impressive. One specifically is when they are going around the horn in the huge storm. The low growl of the wind and the ocean is unrelenting and really gives the sub a major workout, keeping you shaking for several minutes straight. Plus there are many cannon shots later in the movie as well. Movie as a whole is pretty good, not great, kind of seems like just a chapter in long story as the ending just kind of stops, without any real resolution. Bottom line, and I know this has been mentioned at least a dozen times in this thread--this is a movie that has some world class bass that doesn't suck.

post #460 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I just watched the new movie World Trade Center and I have to say it did not suck and was very tastefully done even though the director was Oliver Stone.

Also there were some very spectacular bass scenes. Some scenes that come to mind is the first plane crash (it had to be a 0db peak there) and numerous collapsing scenes. In the scenes when building collapse was happening on-screen, there was tremendous bass that sounded like 10-50hz pink noise mixed in with other rock noises; the scenes lasted about a minute and gave me the scalp tingling sensation so I know there was some serious bass at those times.
post #461 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

A great scene to test with a capable subwoofer is the "Burly Brawl" from the Matrix Reloaded. There are lots of different types of bass present in this clip.

All the slow motion sequences have high amplitude bass centered at or around 25 hz. Perhaps a little deeper. Guests at my place feel a bit uneasy after the entire clip has finished.

But the scene that takes the cake for sheer power, I think, is Neo talking to the machine overlord. "SPEAK". Try to play that at reference level with no output compression.

It's scary.

--Sincerely,

Just saw Matrix Revolutions last night. You guys were right...VERY deep base when Neo is talking to the machine overlord. At what frequency was that? It was at the point that it was so low, your ears can barely make it out, but you can definitely feel it...maybe i need a second sub. I only have one 12" sub for a room that totals 6000 cubic feet. Should I get a second????
post #462 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I think there's the voice, plus a very low frequency accompaniment that pressurizes the room. At least below 25Hz, probably around 20Hz or lower. Maybe someone has graphed it on that waterfall chart thread.

Quote:
I only have one 12" sub for a room that totals 6000 cubic feet. Should I get a second????

What sub is it? There are $100 12" subs, and $2K 12" subs.
post #463 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

What sub is it? There are $100 12" subs, and $2K 12" subs.

Infinity ps12...selling at crutchfield for $450, but one-call had it for $200 so I had to pick it up
post #464 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

I think there's the voice, plus a very low frequency accompaniment that pressurizes the room. At least below 25Hz, probably around 20Hz or lower. Maybe someone has graphed it on that waterfall chart thread.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...&postcount=129
post #465 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Infinity ps12...selling at crutchfield for $450, but one-call had it for $200 so I had to pick it up

well if you can get another one for $200, yeah that might make a big difference in a room that size.
post #466 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, watched Master and Commander again last night. I have only watched the whole movie once all the way through and that was before my pb12+/2.

With a killer sub like that, I'd imagine almost *any* movie could be a wall-rattling experience! (drools)
post #467 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

edster,

Well, not "any" movie, but just about every movie that I have seen in the past and then re-watched on my humble home theater is whole other experience entirely. there is just somehting about a 110" screen, full 7.1 surround and that monster black box in the corner, combined with sitting in my drawers, on my huge oversstuffed furniture or giant 7' bean bag scratching myself that is just plain enjoyable to me. No movie theater quite compares.

just about every DVD I have in my collection I have bought since I purchased the SVS, so basically I have been watching many movies again for the first time on a real system--it is a whole other experience all together. many scenes and many movies you never knew had bass in them at all, now shake you off of the couch--oh yeah I am a bit of a volume junky too. typically in the -10 to -5 from reference range. Wall rattling is very accurate description. I am discovering rattles in new places all the time. The front wall of my theater really resonates right at 20hz--bad. I guess the distance from the sub is just right or something, but when I run sine waves through it, I am fearful that I am going to rip the nails out of the wall--literally. I have never seen anything like it. The whole wall shakes back and forth about a full 3/8 of an inch. needless to say, I am very careful when running tests to keep the level rather low. It gets nutty 20hz with anything over 90db--which is easy for that beast. As much as I love my system, I am like most in here--I still have more bigger/better plans for improvements. Only time will tell what I actually end up with.

I am kind of excited about this evening. I have a buddy coming over to see my system for the first time. He absolutely loves his Onkyo HTIB system. The last time we talked he kept going on and on about how good of a sub that little 8" that came with the system is. I was polite and didn't say anything--needless to say tonght will be a wake up call for him and should be fun.

I have all the usuals ready:

M&C
Haunting
FoF
SW I, II
LOTR --many scenses from all three movies
Monsters Inc
Nemo
BHD
Titan AE
and of course the king of all bass scenes WOW CH5.

Plus I will throw in a few of my favorite surround sound testers:
final destination 2--car wreck
behind enemy lines--mine field and heat seaking missle chase scene in the beginning
house of flying daggers--echo game
hero--arrow attack and blue library

Again, it should be fun. I have running scared from netflix that we may watch depending on what ehy bring over with them.

post #468 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:

I have all the usuals ready:

M&C
Haunting
FoF
SW I, II
LOTR --many scenses from all three movies
Monsters Inc
Nemo
BHD
Titan AE
and of course the king of all bass scenes WOW CH5.

Plus I will throw in a few of my favorite surround sound testers:
final destination 2--car wreck
behind enemy lines--mine field and heat seaking missle chase scene in the beginning
house of flying daggers--echo game
hero--arrow attack and blue library

I'm pretty new to this thread...actually, a pretty new member with my first HT setup. What are the full titles of these listed below?
FoF
SW I, II
BHD
WOW CH5
post #469 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Flight of (oops should hav been FoP) Pheonix
Star Wars Episode I and II
Black Hawk Down
War of the Worlds

post #470 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Flight of the F(ph)oenix
Star Wars ep 1 and 2
blackhawk down
war of the worlds
post #471 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

FoF - I don't recognize.

SW I, II = Star Wars - Episode I and II

BHD = Black Hawk Down

WOW CH5 = War of the Worlds - Chapter 5

Someone will fill in the other title I'm sure,

DE

Looks like we all posted at once...

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #472 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...........I am kind of excited about this evening. I have a buddy coming over to see my system for the first time. He absolutely loves his Onkyo HTIB system. The last time we talked he kept going on and on about how good of a sub that little 8" that came with the system is. I was polite and didn't say anything--needless to say tonght will be a wake up call for him and should be fun..........

I never suspected you had a cruel streak! Have a camera ready to snap his reaction. This should be GOOD!
post #473 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwards View Post

FoF - I don't recognize.

SW I, II = Star Wars - Episode I and II

BHD = Black Hawk Down

WOW CH5 = War of the Worlds - Chapter 5

Someone will fill in the other title I'm sure,

DE

Looks like we all posted at once...

cool...thanks ya'll! i've been getting my movies at walmart...have any other suggestions where we can get dvds for cheap?
post #474 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 3 sources right now.
If you love movies you should probably be signed up with netflix already anyway. I love the service. 3 movies out at a time 2 day turn around and just about any movie you could ever want (excluding "adult" entertainment) for about $19.00 a month. The best we have done is 20 a month--less than $1 per movie rental. typically we get about 10--still way cheaper than the local video store--plus the convenience of it is worth 5 times what they charge. They have tons of "previously viewed" movies for sale for pretty good prices--all of the new releases are usually like $6-8.

The other is a local used CD/Games place right down the street. I have traded some in that kind of stink (for example I bought Bad Boys from walmart for about $5 out of a clearance bin--it was an old DVD copy that was highly compressed--the sound quality sucked--I had to turn the volume up a full 10db past normal to get close to the same level and it still sucked. I traded that in--I think they gave me $4 for it. They have movies that range from $4-15 depending on demand or whatever. Typically I don't buy any that are over $8 (which is by far the most common cost). Plus when you buy 3 you get the 4th free--so every time I go I buy 3 for $24 and get 4 movies for a $6 per movie average--not bad. Check your local area such a store. I have found it to be a gold mine for some more obscure titles. Lastly, check pawn shops. I have one within a decent drive of my house, but I have some friends that live in the city--everytime we go visit them we make a point to hit a couple of them. There are no guarantees buying from pawn shops--so really check for scratches and pay real close attention to the artwork on the disc itself--it shouldn't be a sticker--sure sign you have bootlegged/burned copy--my experience with these is that they suck. Also really look at the cover and make sure it is not a generic with a computer printer quality insert, another dead give away. I won't go into specifics, but I know someone who has tons of these and they are always offering them to me to watch--I did only once, and won't do it again. They swear the quality is perfect and on their 26" CRT and Aiwa compact surround system it might be just fine, but on my system they stink. It is more frustrating to watch a bad copy than it is to wait to get a good copy for yourself. Most of the DVD's I have bought from pawn shops have been for $5.

Also, there are tons of places online if you have the time to wade through them all. there are good deals to be had. but in order my three favorites are agian:
Netflix
Local used shop
Pawn shops.

Plus I do always check Best buy, circuit city, and walmart for "clearence movies" really try not pay more than $8 or $9 for a movie and typically won't jump on anything as being a bargain unless it is around $5--as I know I can get it for that at a pawn shop or the used place. Only a few select copies that I really wanted did I pay more for--a few superbits and DTS copies of awesome movies--Hero, house of flying daggers and the extended version of LOTR.

post #475 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget about http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/.
post #476 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

just about every DVD I have in my collection I have bought since I purchased the SVS, so basically I have been watching many movies again for the first time on a real system--it is a whole other experience all together. many scenes and many movies you never knew had bass in them at all, now shake you off of the couch--oh yeah I am a bit of a volume junky too. typically in the -10 to -5 from reference range. Wall rattling is very accurate description. I am discovering rattles in new places all the time. The front wall of my theater really resonates right at 20hz--bad. I guess the distance from the sub is just right or something, but when I run sine waves through it, I am fearful that I am going to rip the nails out of the wall--literally. I have never seen anything like it. The whole wall shakes back and forth about a full 3/8 of an inch. needless to say, I am very careful when running tests to keep the level rather low. It gets nutty 20hz with anything over 90db--which is easy for that beast.

LOL you sound just like this guy named Paul who used to post all the time on the eCoustics forum, he also bought the exact same sub and reported very similar experiences. He also was in the habit of calling it his "beast."

Speaking of Netflix, a friend of mine recently upped his subscription from 3 max out at a time to 6 out at a time---because he bought a DVD recorder and a nifty little copy-protection neutralizer. I think he must've quadrupled his movie collection in under 2 months! Only downer, aside from the illegality of it, is that the dubbed DVDs are only in 2-channel DPL which his receiver has to convert to 5.1...not quite as good as the native multi-channel soundtrack of course but not that far off either.
post #477 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

cool...thanks ya'll! i've been getting my movies at walmart...have any other suggestions where we can get dvds for cheap?

I recently used deepdiscountdvd for the first time - no problems and a great price on the Firefly box set.

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #478 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

Only downer, aside from the illegality of it, is that the dubbed DVDs are only in 2-channel DPL which his receiver has to convert to 5.1...not quite as good as the native multi-channel soundtrack of course but not that far off either.

Why was he only ripping the 2 channel track?

All of the DVD ripping software I've seen have no problem encoding the DD and/or DTS tracks.
post #479 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

All of the DVD ripping software I've seen have no problem encoding the DD and/or DTS tracks.

he has a standalone burner, not a computer-based one. I think it's a Panasonic es15. I asked him why he doesn't do it on his PC and he said he prefers the ease of use of a standalone.
post #480 of 735 Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

Yup...I use DVD-Shrink and it encodes the DD or DTS tracks...my only question is if it compresses the audio files, just like how it does with video, to fit the 4.7GB dvd-r. Will sound quality degrade on burnt discs? That would be cool if we can see waterfall comparisons of the same clip: original vs burnt copy.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page