Martin Logan (abyss)?? Any Comments - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Martin Logan subs are the best. I have heard SVS/HSU and they are good but ML subs are distinctly better at least to my ears. I had the dynamo a baby ML sub and the base effects were very impressive. It sounded so good with music.
I sold it and now have the Depth i coming in. I would have loved to get the Descent i but space was an issue. Its difficult to go with a different brand of sub after having experienced a ML sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There may not be anyone who has heard both of these, but I am wondering how the ML Abyss compares to the JBL 8400 solely for HT. There were some posts a while back with some favorable reviews of the L8400. The list price and size of both are about the same, although the JBL is discounted more.
post #63 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 07:37 PM

Liked: 10
Hello All, was reading this thread while narrowing my choices for a new sub and thought I'd pitch in my 2 cents while I've got the subs at home. I'm in the market for a sub that is very musical, fast, reaches down low, and is useable up to around 100hz to match with my Def. Tech. Pro Monitor 1000's and Procenter 2000. Listened to a couple Velodyne subs (better one was the SPL12) in the store, wasn't impressed. Typical Velodyne sound (IMHO), lots of air movement but not very transparent sounding. Spent some time with the Monitor Audio SR-W12 in the store, and while it sounded pretty good it also sounded like it's frequency response curve looks; much higher output on the top end. While I was there I heard a Paradigm Ultracube 12 who's bottom end output was crazy, but not well suited to my needs. Then went to Magnolia AV in Lynnwood to listen to the Definitive Technology Supercube II, the Martin Logan Abyss, and something comparable from REL's T-series. I was highly impressed with both the ML Abyss and the Supercube, not that I had anything against the RELs, they just weren't really available like the other two. Couldn't decide in the store, so I took them both home to audition, and here I sit now. Been spending as much time as I can with both of them over the past week and a half, and I am still torn. Both are very musical, very flat frequency response curves, both reach plenty deep (the Abyss more so) and both are very transparent. I am in a condo so I haven't been able to open the taps entirely, but from what I've found the Supercube will run out of headroom on very demanding tracks such as track 4 on Pomp & Pipes where there is deep powerfull organ pedaling happening and the big powerfull bass drum kicks in; the abyss will hit that drum and you feel the room drop whereas the drum gets lost with the Supercube. At lower volumes this isn't an issue. I'm looking forward to taking both subs to a friend's house where I can really find their volume limits. The other big difference I'm finding is that the Abyss tends to sound a little fuller where the Supercube has a little crisper sound to it and blends with my satellites a touch better. Lastly, I feel that the Abyss does a better job pulling information out of tricky bass lines, very quick bass hits and quick plucking of bass guitar strings. I suspect that all these differences have to do with the Subs' designs; the Abyss having a 12" driver powered by a 300w amp in a sealed enclosure with the Supercube having an 8" driver and 2 passive radiators (also 8" ea.) powered by a 1200w amp. I've been throwing everything at these subs; Yo-Yo Ma and Orchestral music and big pipe organ stuff like Pomp & Pipes and the opening to the Phantom of the Opera, Santana, rock like Metallica, Slipknot, Disturbed etc. As it stands, I am undecided but leaning slightly toward the Abyss with the idea that as my system continues to be upgraded I will eventually have a set of main speakers that reach a little lower and will tighten up the upper base, and one day I'll have a basement where I'll really be able to open the taps on the Abyss! I wish I had a chance to compare these two to the ML Grotto i, so if anyone has done this comparison I'd love to hear about it. On a side note, I would call my room rather large as it's approx. 12' x 24' with 13' ceiling, and is open to the hall and kitchen. One last comment, the Abyss handled the scene in Hellboy II where the stone giant awakens from the earth more cleanly than the Supercube, and gave a greater portrayal of sub-bass in the LFE track. Hope this review helps somebody!
post #64 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Homey, I'll save you the time, get the Abyss's. I have dual SCII's, and while they are fantastic, I would rather have dual Abyss's, or even Dynamos for that matter.

The ML's dig deeper, and do not flutter when they are pushed. My SC's are great, don't get me wrong, and considering what I paid for them, it is a better overall value for me. I also noticed that the ML can give you more output in an open area when used a downward firing sub without being boomy at all. The SC's are going to perform very well in a smaller area. In a larger area, you would have to place them in a corner to get similar output, but they can be very boomy, which is a minus.
post #65 of 89 Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Someone please provide me some info on where to get this sub from? links? number? bb asking for 1k and from what im reading, it should be alot cheaper.

thanks guys!
post #66 of 89 Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksterz626 View Post

Someone please provide me some info on where to get this sub from? links? number? bb asking for 1k and from what im reading, it should be alot cheaper.

thanks guys!

Dont expect much below 899 for new

“Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.”
post #67 of 89 Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandphan View Post

Dont expect much below 899 for new

even that is better than what im offered where?
post #68 of 89 Old 12-07-2008, 09:30 AM

I got my Abyss from Magnolia AV in Lynwood WA for $1100 US, and they wouldn't move on that price (Martin Logan). The Def. Tech. SC II that I'm comparing it too had a list price of $900 but they have some wiggle room with that brand, so I didn't pay list on that one. I wish I coulda picked up an Abyss for $600 but I don't consider myself ripped off in the least at $1100. It looks like a bunch of these people got their stuff from Tweeter which is in the closeout process, and unless you live by one of their stores you're out of luck on that one.
post #69 of 89 Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 AM

The selection was made, I kept the Abyss. I had a fellow from work join me to check out these two excellent subs; he has many many years of experience in professional audio and live music and was able to provide some insight. Long story short, the SC II did a superb job of blending with my ProMonitor 1000s, pulled out excellent detail from the upper bass region, catching great detail with recordings of upright bass etc. Very musical, didn't do anything badly at all. Moving to music like Pink Floyd, the Abyss was excellent, pulled lots of detail out of the bass guitar. Again, the Abyss did nothing wrong, but it was not able to reproduce that upper bass detail like the SCII did. What it did do was excellent though; tough decision.The clincher for me was a two part deal. The Abyss could handle the very lowest LFE info with movies very cleanly (moreso than the SCII), and on big organ recordings the Abyss did for the bottom end of the recording what the SCII did for the upright bass; while the SCII would play the deepest tones very nicely, it just couldn't reproduce the detail and the harmonics in the very bottom of the range that really put you in the seat at the church where it was recorded. The abyss gives you that somewhat intangable sense of realism that the SCII just couldn't match. Add that to a bit more headroom in terms of dynamics and I can live with a slight mismatch in my current system until I upgrade my mains to a set of floor-standers (or even larger monitors) that will reach low enough to blend properly with the Abyss. On a side note, if you're shopping for these subs, go see the guys at Magnolia AV. I can only speak from my experience in my few visits to the store in Lynnwood WA but the staff there has always been very patient and very helpfull. I will definetly go see them again when it's time for the next component to be upgraded.
post #70 of 89 Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 AM

I am looking for some help deciding between two wonderful subs. I have a 17ft by 17ft Home theater and have ML Preface fronts and Encore center and back in a 5.1 setup with Onkyo NR807 Amp. Given these constraints whats best - the ML dynamo ( RMS 200 watts) or ML abyss RMS 300 watts). Difference is about $200 more for the ML Abyss. Cant afford the other nicer ML subs.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
post #71 of 89 Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vct1964 View Post

I am looking for some help deciding between two wonderful subs. I have a 17ft by 17ft Home theater and have ML Preface fronts and Encore center and back in a 5.1 setup with Onkyo NR807 Amp. Given these constraints whats best - the ML dynamo ( RMS 200 watts) or ML abyss RMS 300 watts). Difference is about $200 more for the ML Abyss. Cant afford the other nicer ML subs.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

For that size room, the Dynamo would work, but the Abyss would be a better choice. I have an Abyss in a room slightly larger than that and it works great for movies and music.
post #72 of 89 Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
If it's down to these two subs and the Abyss is in the budget get it. Headroom is a good thing and will go unnoticed for the most part. Nothing you can do if it's not enough except throw more money at it and get frustrated in the process.
post #73 of 89 Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AudioAdvisor has the 12" Abyss for $599.99 and the 10" Dynamo for $449.99. (Maybe they make up the difference with their shipping cost

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=243
post #74 of 89 Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
AudioAdvisor has the 12" Abyss for $599.99 and the 10" Dynamo for $449.99. (Maybe they make up the difference with their shipping cost

If you get it through their store on Amazon there is no shipping charges.
post #75 of 89 Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Before I post anything, let me say I only tested the Abyss against Blu-ray movies ... did not do much testing for pure audio.

Love it. Love it. Love it. The sub is there when you need. Not some street thumping base ... but just enough for that effect. Watched Quantum of Solace.. remember the first scene when Bond is driving the Aston Martin through Italy ... ML's came alive. Preface fronts + encore center/back paired with the Abyss. Anyone who walks through the room is just like WOW.

Initially the Abyss was a little subdued. After some calibration, it works great .. as intended.

LFE set to 90 hz
Sub Vol set to -15db.

Keep in mind .. these work for my room dynamics. May not work for everybody. The Sub is set at a vol of 4. Seriously when the wife is not around, I did pump it up... it rocked the house.

PS: For other Abyss owners. what are your calibration settings ?
post #76 of 89 Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM

How would the abyss stack up against the ED A2-300? Both can be found for under $400 now....
post #77 of 89 Old 01-22-2010, 05:29 AM

Curious if anyone has any opinion between the Abyss and the HSU VTF2-MK3? I'm debating between the two at this point.
post #78 of 89 Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM

I considered both before I bought my Abyss. I made my choice based on price.

I had been using a CambridgeSoundworks P300HD that was very good, but started to have amp problems, so I decided to replace it. I did a bunch of research and listening at some stores. I finally got the Abyss from FRY's here in Dalls for the unheard of price of 379.99!!

For the money, nothing can touch this sub. It is very musical and goes very low.

Later as an experiment I added my CSW sub back into the system, (seems to be working again) and all I can say is WOW. Two subs really smooth out the room responses and add to the depth of the soundstage. Based on this, I would say that for any room considered medium to large, a minimum of 2 subs is required. Huge difference IMHO (also using Audyssey for room calibration is recommended)

Steve
post #79 of 89 Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM

i'm also looking at ML subs mainly the dynamo. i currently am using the PA120 and while pretty good for HT it lacks tight and punchy bass for music which is mainly what it will be used for. better than my PA?
post #80 of 89 Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 AM

iramack, thanks for the comments. I see you can get the Abyss for about $599 online right now at various places, which seems like a pretty good deal.
post #81 of 89 Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

i'm also looking at ML subs mainly the dynamo. i currently am using the PA120 and while pretty good for HT it lacks tight and punchy bass for music which is mainly what it will be used for. better than my PA?

I first tried the the Dynamo in my set up. For a bit it seemed adequate for my room (2 car garage sized). After a day or two, it left me wanting more headroom/dynamics. I then found the steal of a deal on the Abyss at Fry's, and returned the Dynamo to BB. BTW I had paid BB more for the Dynamo by 80 dollars that the Abyss was.

Steve
post #82 of 89 Old 01-24-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

You should try using a parametric eq to flatten out your response. This will give you the tight punchy bass you want.
post #83 of 89 Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 AM

I have two Sunfire/Dominator D-12s connected to a Velodyne SMS-1. This is a great combination for music but it seems to lack some of the impact I want for movies. Would the Abyss be an upgrade in SQ or just a lateral move? My front LR speakers are Martin Logan SL-3s and integrate well with the D-12s.

Any opinions?

John
post #84 of 89 Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post

I have two Sunfire/Dominator D-12s connected to a Velo SMS-1. This is a great combination for music but it seems to lack some of the impact I want for movies. Would the Abyss be an upgrade in SQ or just a lateral move? My front LR speakers are Martin Logan SL-3s and integrate well with the D-12s.

Any opinions?

John

I have a couple of Abyss subwoofers for 2 channel music, both located 1/3 from a corner along the front wall. Abyss is GREAT for music, but doesn't crank out enough SPL for movies. For movies, I supplement the Abyss subs with a SVS PC12-NSD (corner loaded).

I have a Velodyne SMS-1 when using all three subs at the same time.
post #85 of 89 Old 02-14-2010, 04:57 PM

I have an MartinLogan abyss and it cranks just fine for movies. Plus the SVS subs are big and ugly IMO. Like having a big refrigerator in your living room
post #86 of 89 Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide128 View Post

Plus the SVS subs are big and ugly IMO. Like having a big refrigerator in your living room

Which is why I have mine hidden behind the TV---can be heard and felt without being seen
post #87 of 89 Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM

wow how did you manage to hide it behind TV? is the tv off the wall by 3 feet or something? I can't really hide a sub behind the Tv unless I move the TV stand which doesn't seem practical with my setup.
post #88 of 89 Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide128 View Post

wow how did you manage to hide it behind TV? is the tv off the wall by 3 feet or something? I can't really hide a sub behind the Tv unless I move the TV stand which doesn't seem practical with my setup.

The PC12-NSD is a cylinder that is 35" tall and 16 inches in diameter. I have my TV/Audio rack positioned diagonally across a room corner. The PC12-NSD is in the corner behind the TV. That is the advantage of a cylinder over a box--the footprint is much smaller as it goes "up", not "out".

You don't really need a corner to hide it. Since it is only 16" in diameter, all you have to do is move your TV 16 inches from the wall, and you have enough space for the cylinder behind the TV. You can even lay the sub on its side, so you can hide it behind a sofa or other furniture.
post #89 of 89 Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi guys,

I am looking for another Abyss to add to my system, please reach put if interested in selling..

Angel
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page