JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #631 of 6954 Old 11-29-2006, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My room has 3250 cubic feet. (20'x18'x9').

Are two f113's overkill (budget aside) or is two always better than one?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6954 Old 11-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well one could easily fill that room

i would buy one and see if your content
post #633 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to reserve most of my comments until I have had some time to listen. I still have not had things above -20 because I have a newborn in the house.

I do have a question for other JL owners though...

It seems like the "auto" on circuit requires a LOT of voltage to turn the sub on. I never had this issue with my SVSs. Their auto-sensing circuit worked perfectly. I really do not want to turn the sub level on my processor up much more than it is. I have the pro at -2.5db and that is calibrated for a "0" level on the sub. I tried it again this morning. I put on one of the XM dance channels to make sure there was bass signal and I had to turn the pro up to -20 before the sub would turn on.

Any comments?

-Eli

AV Nut
post #634 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Eli,

No problems with the f112 or f113,both are on..AUTO ON.They wake up with no issues,I have them running from the Anthem Statement pre/pro.No problems to report.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #635 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Eli - AVM 20, no problems with auto on.
post #636 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

I am going to reserve most of my comments until I have had some time to listen. I still have not had things above -20 because I have a newborn in the house.

I do have a question for other JL owners though...

It seems like the "auto" on circuit requires a LOT of voltage to turn the sub on. I never had this issue with my SVSs. Their auto-sensing circuit worked perfectly. I really do not want to turn the sub level on my processor up much more than it is. I have the pro at -2.5db and that is calibrated for a "0" level on the sub. I tried it again this morning. I put on one of the XM dance channels to make sure there was bass signal and I had to turn the pro up to -20 before the sub would turn on.

Any comments?

-Eli

Eli, The Fathom's input is not as sensitive as the SVS. Put your subwoofer at +6 dB in your processor, then manually adjust the sub's volume control until you are calibrated to "0" again.
post #637 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Hi all,

been lurking here for a while. Live in Toronto - no JL dealer yet but I'm working on getting a pair of F113s after reading the reviews and all the helpful info here.

Hey TheEAR, I'd like to know where you got your JL Fathom from and what price to expect in Canada if you would be willing to divulge. You could contact me off the boards if you prefer. Any other Canadians - I'd be happy to hear from you too so I could know how hard to haggle!

BTW, TheEAR, are you a compulsive millionaire? 26 subs? Nice...do you have pics or a profile somewhere with the list of your subs?
thanks,
The Bogg

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #638 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For dealers in Canada, please contact our Canadian Distributor:
GemSen Distribution
266 Applewood Cres.
Concord, Ontario L4K 4B4
Telephone: 905-660-3110

Email: sales@gemsen.com
post #639 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Hi all,

been lurking here for a while. Live in Toronto - no JL dealer yet but I'm working on getting a pair of F113s after reading the reviews and all the helpful info here.

Hey TheEAR, I'd like to know where you got your JL Fathom from and what price to expect in Canada if you would be willing to divulge. You could contact me off the boards if you prefer. Any other Canadians - I'd be happy to hear from you too so I could know how hard to haggle!

BTW, TheEAR, are you a compulsive millionaire? 26 subs? Nice...do you have pics or a profile somewhere with the list of your subs?
thanks,
The Bogg

I got my JL Audio from Radio St-Hubert in Montreal(a small place of many many subs). Call them and say the Ear sends you,or Arthur the Sub Human.

Yes I am a compulsive buyer,no not a millionaire...I spend at a rythm that will make almost anyone frown and run for cover. The subs are but a small tip of the iceberg!

If you want I can give you the phone number to Radio St-Hubert and you can ask to speak with the owner.I know him for many years and have made many many purchased there.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #640 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

TheEAR,

I've sent you a PM

post #641 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Bogg,

Repply done

post #642 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the info EAR, I've just PMed one more question.

post #643 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I have not been able to do any reference level measurements in my room yet with the F113. What I can say so far is this........

The F113 is a very very nice piece of equipment. It is the best sounding subwoofer that I have ever had the opportunity to listen to. It is "tight", "fast", "clean", "insert more buzzwords here", and plays extremely low with authority. The only other subwoofers I have ever heard that were as "seamlessly accurate" as the Fathom are maybe the Velo DD series.

The Fathom is really playing mind games with me. I have designed, built, borrowed, and bought lots of speakers and subwoofers in my day. Every time I listen to the Fathom and look over at it, my mind tells me that there is NO WAY that that depth, clarity, and output should be coming from a box that small.

The single F113 is proving to be plenty for my 3600 cu. ft. room. I do not think it is going to be able to generate the same peak SPLs as my dual +/2s did. I should know more this weekend. Those SVSs (all the ones I have owned and heard) are fantastic and still my number one recommendation for the best price/performance ratio. I can't wait to hear the new Ultra because I am sure it is going to close the gap between them and some of these "higher end" subs.

JL must have hired a wizard to put a little magic in these subs because they really are a cut above. After spending some time with it, I can almost say that the price they charge is justified.

*** Sorry about all the words in quotes. Sometimes you have to be creative when trying to describe the sound of a speaker so take them for what they are worth***

Thats all for now,

-Eli

AV Nut
post #644 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

I have not been able to do any reference level measurements in my room yet with the F113. What I can say so far is this........

The F113 is a very very nice piece of equipment. It is the best sounding subwoofer that I have ever had the opportunity to listen to. It is "tight", "fast", "clean", "insert more buzzwords here", and plays extremely low with authority. The only other subwoofers I have ever heard that were as "seamlessly accurate" as the Fathom are maybe the Velo DD series.

The Fathom is really playing mind games with me. I have designed, built, borrowed, and bought lots of speakers and subwoofers in my day. Every time I listen to the Fathom and look over at it, my mind tells me that there is NO WAY that that depth, clarity, and output should be coming from a box that small.

The single F113 is proving to be plenty for my 3600 cu. ft. room. I do not think it is going to be able to generate the same peak SPLs as my dual +/2s did. I should know more this weekend. Those SVSs (all the ones I have owned and heard) are fantastic and still my number one recommendation for the best price/performance ratio. I can't wait to hear the new Ultra because I am sure it is going to close the gap between them and some of these "higher end" subs.

JL must have hired a wizard to put a little magic in these subs because they really are a cut above. After spending some time with it, I can almost say that the price they charge is justified.

*** Sorry about all the words in quotes. Sometimes you have to be creative when trying to describe the sound of a speaker so take them for what they are worth***

Thats all for now,

-Eli

Well said

These new JL subs are indeed little wonders of subwoofing.They compete with much larger subs in output,sound better and have built quality that is second to none!

No stoping JL Audio now.

And yes the price is justified! Take the real competition,priced around 2K,they are much larger,do not sound as good and use off the shelf plate amps(no matter how disguised) plus multiple woofers to match one! Are they real bargains? Not to me.

These units use expensive custom hardware,hardware quality most of the time you see in Thiel and Wilson subs.

post #645 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM

guys.....what is the street price of the 12 and 13 inch subs and how quickly can they be had. my local guy (who I have made wealthy) has seen a couple of prices. What can they actually be had for.

IF a PM is more appropriate please feel free.

Thanks
post #646 of 6954 Old 11-30-2006, 11:00 PM

Hi guys Im new here to the forum. I recently, after reading great reviews on the f113 bought one, today in fact. I have it mated in opposite corner with an SVS PB 12/plus 2. Needless to say this thing is nothing short of incredible! The f113 in my short experinece is tighter, deeper, and more accurate than the SVS. Having said that I still love my SVS and wouldn't trade it in for the world. If you have the extra cash I would no doubt get an f113 3300.00 msrp. in piano black. But I personally still think, bang for buck the SVS is still the king in this department, an SVS PB 12/plus 2 is 1499.00 in piano black and 100.00 shipping.
post #647 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejones View Post

guys.....what is the street price of the 12 and 13 inch subs and how quickly can they be had. my local guy (who I have made wealthy) has seen a couple of prices. What can they actually be had for.

IF a PM is more appropriate please feel free.

Thanks

It is against forum policy to discuss anything but MSRP. (not to mention it causes problems for dealers)

If you are interested in buying one, you can PM me and I will send you my dealers contact info. You can discuss price directly with him.

Mine took about a week to get. When I ordered it it was still en route to my dealer from the JL factory. Then my dealer had to turn around and ship it to me.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #648 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Well said

These new JL subs are indeed little wonders of subwoofing.They compete with much larger subs in output,sound better and have built quality that is second to none!

No stoping JL Audio now.

And yes the price is justified! Take the real competition,priced around 2K,they are much larger,do not sound as good and use off the shelf plate amps(no matter how disguised) plus multiple woofers to match one! Are they real bargains? Not to me.

These units use expensive custom hardware,hardware quality most of the time you see in Thiel and Wilson subs.

I see no problem with using multiple drivers and "off the shelf" amps. Yea, i't might not be as "cool" but it is the end result we are after. If a manufacturer can use some less expensive parts, make the sub cost less to the consumer, and still acheive the performance they are shooting for, more power to them.

My impressions above are based on sound only. (and somewhat size) Yes, the build quality of the Fathom is first class... but I am also very impressed with with quality of SVS and HSU products.

I guess what I am trying to say is, with several new POTENT subs on the market (or getting ready to be on the market), lets close our eyes and open our ears a little more. I am willing to bet there is going to be some stiff competition for the Fathom in the next few months. (some may already be here). If performance is too close to call, then we can bicker over whos looks nicer.

[/soapbox]

OK, back to the Fathom.

-Eli

AV Nut
post #649 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM

I'm in regoin where 220v power is needed. Should I go for the 110v version with a step down transformer?? Is it a long term investment?? Any good suggestions of the transformer?? Thanks!!
post #650 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Having very little sales resistance, count me as the latest to succumb to the JL Audio feeding frenzy. I spent this morning setting up the Fathom 113 and putting it through it's paces. That included a sighted comparo side by side with my DD-18 on my fav LFE rich music and movies. Currently the two are happily playing the new Beatles "Love" DVD (A multichannel music lover's wet dream).

The JL is an incredible little (everything's relative) sub. It goes a bit lower and might be another bit more articulate than the DD-18. This is going to be a week or so of sampling music and movies with them together and separately but thus far I must concur that JL has a great product with the F113. I can only imagine how good the Gotham will be
LL
LL

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #651 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 PM

I have had the f113 for almost 24 hours now. I now have everything set up properly the sub location etc. On my first Reference DVD, one of the things I noticed is that I could watch King Kong at relatively high levels without my ears feeling fatigued during the entire movie. With my SVS PB 12/2 ..., oh about an hour or so into the movie I had to turn the bass down because it became to overwhelming, almost distractive. This was not the case at all with f113.
post #652 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The frenzy continues to sweep audiophiles. The funny part look at the size of the DD18 VS the little f113! This is a great pic RMK,the little beast has ALOT of bite!

Go JL Audio

post #653 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Go JL Audio

My goodness, Ear, you are the very definition of a fanboy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
post #654 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 06:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by im the man View Post

With my SVS PB 12/2 ...,about an hour or so into the movie I had to turn the bass down because it became to overwhelming, almost distractive.

The novelty fades pretty quickly! High SPL levels alone will appeal to the uninitiated. The seasoned enthusiast armed with reference material will move on.

Most people don't know what they want...but, they're pretty sure they haven't got it. ©

post #655 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

My goodness, Ear, you are the very definition of a fanboy. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ha... I was just thinking that a couple of posts ago...

But Hey, Ear has had that many subs and is this passionate for the Fathom.. It must mean something...

Has Me sold.. Im going to buy one as soon as I can get 20% MSRP here in Southern California.. Hint Hint.. (Any Authorized dealers can go ahead and PM Me.. )
post #656 of 6954 Old 12-01-2006, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Nothing too wrong supporting a company that has impressed the heck outta me with
reference class compact subs.I've tried almost all compact subs,JL has done a mervelous job with the Fathoms.

I will be giving props to any well deigned product that performs this well.

post #657 of 6954 Old 12-02-2006, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I can honestly appreciate the technical prowess of these JL subs, and heck I even had more than a passing thought of replacing my Velodyne D15 with one of them, but I had a wake up call today.

You see, I completed my second AV room this week (converted my den into a 5.1 video game room) and just for kicks, I took the new sub out of the game room and placed it next to the DD15 in the main room (the room is 13 x 23 x 9). You know what? At anything but very loud listening levels the little sub held its own with the DD15. Keep in mind the game room sub (a Monitor Audio Radius 720) retails for $799, it uses two 8" drivers and a 250 watt amp. The DD15 is $4000, uses a 15" driver and a 1250 watt amp. The DD15 is probably capable of close to four times the output of the MA 720, yet at normal listening levels and even fairly loud listening levels the little sub sounded just as powerful punchy and weighty as the big one. You should also know that the 13 x 23 room is open to the rest of the house.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just trying to provide some perspective on the importance of the output capability of the JL subs. Is anyone even using all of it? And do you really need it? I submit that most don't.

The bigger issue here is the quality of the bass rather than the max output. In that regard, I think because the DD line has the built in EQ, it still has the upper hand. Sure the Fathoms have notch filter, but what if you have more than one peak or a shallow valley you want to fill in? Anyway, in the end I think that many would be just fine with something like an SVS sub / Velodyne SMS-1 EQ combo versus a Fathom or a DD for that matter.
post #658 of 6954 Old 12-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I can honestly appreciate the technical prowess of these JL subs, and heck I even had more than a passing thought of replacing my Velodyne D15 with one of them, but I had a wake up call today.

You see, I completed my second AV room this week (converted my den into a 5.1 video game room) and just for kicks, I took the new sub out of the game room and placed it next to the DD15 in the main room (the room is 13 x 23 x 9). You know what? At anything but very loud listening levels the little sub held its own with the DD15. Keep in mind the game room sub (a Monitor Audio Radius 720) retails for $799, it uses two 8" drivers and a 250 watt amp. The DD15 is $4000, uses a 15" driver and a 1250 watt amp. The DD15 is probably capable of close to four times the output of the MA 720, yet at normal listening levels and even fairly loud listening levels the little sub sounded just as powerful punchy and weighty as the big one. You should also know that the 13 x 23 room is open to the rest of the house.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just trying to provide some perspective on the importance of the output capability of the JL subs. Is anyone even using all of it? And do you really need it? I submit that most don't.

The bigger issue here is the quality of the bass rather than the max output. In that regard, I think because the DD line has the built in EQ, it still has the upper hand. Sure the Fathoms have notch filter, but what if you have more than one peak or a shallow valley you want to fill in? Anyway, in the end I think that many would be just fine with something like an SVS sub / Velodyne SMS-1 EQ combo versus a Fathom or a DD for that matter.

youre forgetting the most important thing though... the f113 when at max excursion is the eighth wonder of the world, so you HAVE to show it off to all your friends
post #659 of 6954 Old 12-02-2006, 06:13 AM

My two new F112s arrived one satin and one gloss I thought I was getting satin . Added bonus ,unless I am going to put them both up front. Any body have any idea how these sound best,Should I run dual cables fron a T or one cable and balance xlr daisy chain? Thanks Craig
post #660 of 6954 Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifisponge

It would really be interesting if you did a blind test with yourself and another person to see if both of you have a preference at normal listening levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page