Old 11-09-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I am wondering if anyone ran into an issue with the intro to Edge of Tomorrow? There is a brutal sweep about a minute into the movie. At one point I heard some sort of metallic noise from my F112. It wasn't for the entire sweep but at a certain point it definitely caught my attention. Sub gain is +3db over Audyssey calibration and I was at -10db on the master volume on receiver.

Been seeing this pop up on a few Subwoofer threads....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am wondering if anyone ran into an issue with the intro to Edge of Tomorrow? There is a brutal sweep about a minute into the movie. At one point I heard some sort of metallic noise from my F112. It wasn't for the entire sweep but at a certain point it definitely caught my attention. Sub gain is +3db over Audyssey calibration and I was at -10db on the master volume on receiver.
Yes, just watched that BR last night and heard it too!

**In the opening sequence when everything appears to be cutting in and out, due to the alien attack.

Some crazy deep tones!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith_JL View Post
The Fathom v2's are scheduled for April 2015 delivery (v1's will be available until then)

What will change and what won't?

Dimensions and cosmetics are unchanged, other than a rearrangement of the rear panel connections.

We have made some slight tweaks to some of the drivers, mostly suspension-related.

The electronics have been completely redesigned:
20% more amplifier power
All-DSP processing, including 18-Band Digital ARO (automatic room optimization). Feature set is the same as the v1's.

US MSRP will increase $200 on single driver models, $300 on f212.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
Is this still a good date: April 2015 for V2 availability? A dealer is telling me end of year.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Yep, a bit of buzz about this in the "BASS in movies" thread. Something about more than the normal amount of LFE channel finding it's way in to the L and R channels, resulting in a possibly unintended boost, IIRC. "Metallic" noises have been discussed in this thread before. Someone suggested they may be the result of a mechanical limiter on the driver excursion.

I was surprised by this movie myself since I had no prior warning. Thankfully I now have dual F112s, so the bass duty is spread out nicely, and the effect was probably more damaging to the windows in the room than anything else. Since my system is just 2 channels, I don't ever get to hear the unadulterated LFE track, just what the mixing engineers decide to include in the mains (which is generally enough to keep me happy).
Old 01-07-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Yep, a bit of buzz about this in the "BASS in movies" thread. Something about more than the normal amount of LFE channel finding it's way in to the L and R channels, resulting in a possibly unintended boost, IIRC. "Metallic" noises have been discussed in this thread before. Someone suggested they may be the result of a mechanical limiter on the driver excursion.

I was surprised by this movie myself since I had no prior warning. Thankfully I now have dual F112s, so the bass duty is spread out nicely, and the effect was probably more damaging to the windows in the room than anything else. Since my system is just 2 channels, I don't ever get to hear the unadulterated LFE track, just what the mixing engineers decide to include in the mains (which is generally enough to keep me happy).
Maybe you are better off that way. The .1 track is amazing to hear and feel! It allows you to discover new items that vibrate in the house. I have dual F113's and it pushes them. I'm sure at reference level I could hit the limit.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have an opportunity to snag a F113 for 1700, but not sure if I should just pick up a second PB13 Ultra.

Currently I have a SB13 and a PB13 Ultra
Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Maybe you are better off that way. The .1 track is amazing to hear and feel! It allows you to discover new items that vibrate in the house. I have dual F113's and it pushes them. I'm sure at reference level I could hit the limit.

Yes and no, there used to be the occasional movie where the bass intensity of the bluray didn't match the old DVD with a 2ch track (e.g., Fifth Element), suggesting that they remixed the audio and failed to mix in the right amount of LFE for the mains. But these days, I find most every bluray downmixes just fine to 2 channels. My understanding is that, technically, the FL and FR channels should contain all of the bass information present in the LFE track, mixed in appropriately. This is why you should crossover your mains (i.e., set them to "small") if they're not capable of handling full range signals (and, in my experience, it's sometimes better set that way even if they supposedly are).
So, anyway, I'm not really missing anything in the bass department with a 2.2 setup. I'm just left at the mercy of the downmix, but I can always conveniently crank up the gain of the Fathoms right from the front panel should the need arise.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 22
From reading here , it seems there will be an updated model of the f112, and f113 subs .

My dealer tonight, made a pretty decent offer to me on a pair of f112 subs....

The room is 16 feet wide, and about 36 feet long..... will 2 f112 subs do a good job in that size room, or should I ask about a pair of f113 ? They had new stock of the 112.... don't know if they had 2 of the 113.....
I guess the good deal stems from the new models coming out soon....

I didn't know about the new models till reading it here.....
I would have pulled the trigger, but the subs wouldn't fit in my car......

Now that I know about the new models, maybe I can get a better deal.....

Need some help here....

Thanks

Shelly
Old 01-09-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
From reading here , it seems there will be an updated model of the f112, and f113 subs .

My dealer tonight, made a pretty decent offer to me on a pair of f112 subs....

The room is 16 feet wide, and about 36 feet long..... will 2 f112 subs do a good job in that size room, or should I ask about a pair of f113 ? They had new stock of the 112.... don't know if they had 2 of the 113.....
I guess the good deal stems from the new models coming out soon....

I didn't know about the new models till reading it here.....
I would have pulled the trigger, but the subs wouldn't fit in my car......

Now that I know about the new models, maybe I can get a better deal.....

Need some help here....

Thanks

Shelly

Shelly, I would personally recommend a pair of the F113. I have a 20 foot long by 15 foot wide dedicated room. The two F113 subs do a great job of filling the room. I run one as a master into the other unit used a a slave. It's not that the F112 won't work in your room it would, but not as efficiently as the F113. I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Hope you find a pair.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for your opinion.....

I was kind of leaning towards the f113 also...... I will ask if they have 2 of them......

In any event, I would have 30 days to return the f112 if I don't think they do the job.....

Any idea on a good price, given that the v2 will be out soon....

Thanks

Shelly
Old 01-09-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure price talk is allowed/encouraged here at AVS, definitely not from dealers, but I have a hard limit of $1200 for F112s off of eBay. With persistence, I've scored 2 so far, but of course it took 4 years (they typically go for over $2k so long as they're cosmetically ok).

My reasoning behind going with the F112 had to do with a few things:
1. Space/WAF - the F113 is 25% larger (by volume), not a big deal, but I'm going for the most discreet system possible. Further, these things are heavy, and I like to be able to move them myself without fear of injury - the F112 (at 98lbs according to my scale) is a nearing my comfort limit, but the F113 adds only another 15lbs.
2. Power - the power demands of the F113 should have you seriously considering 20A circuit(s) (if you don't already have them), especially if you're going with multiple units
3. Flexibility - I plan to keep adding F112s as space permits, which allows me to spread them out around the room. They make nice furniture anyway, and more subs will help to smooth out response while extending the bottom end
4. Cost
Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Gonna give 2 of the f112 a shot.....

Going to pick them up as soon as I finish typing......

Anyone know where to get a female to female balanced cable.... about 10-15 feet long ?

Thanks

Shelly
Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

When I got my second F112, I couldn't wait and just went to my local Guitar Center for a nice pro-grade cable (Mogami Gold microphone cable), but the quality of that cable is not likely critical. Plenty of people use Monoprice with no problems, or for something a little fancier, maybe consider Blue Jeans (but NOT their RCAs - I've had issues with those due to their crimp manufacturing process). These are upscale subs, so I figure they deserve at least a pro cable with Neutrik connectors, even though you'll rarely disconnect them.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Well... have the 2 f112 subs......

In the showroom when I got there....

There was a nice new in the box f212........

Thought about just getting that instead......

Would have even been less $$.....

Decided on the 2 f112......

Did I make the right choice ?

Bummer that I have to go to work tonight at 10:30 pm......
so can't set them up tonight....

But I hope to be rockin in the morning...
Although not too loud, as I get home at 7am.....

Wife wouldn't appreciate that

Shelly
Old 01-10-2015, 05:45 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
Well... have the 2 f112 subs......

In the showroom when I got there....

There was a nice new in the box f212........

Thought about just getting that instead......

Would have even been less $$.....

Decided on the 2 f112......

Did I make the right choice ?

Bummer that I have to go to work tonight at 10:30 pm......

so can't set them up tonight....

But I hope to be rockin in the morning...

Although not too loud, as I get home at 7am.....

Wife wouldn't appreciate that

Shelly

Definitely the more the subs the more your able to achieve a flat response at your listening position. I have 4 and it's awesome and have plenty of head room in my theatre room.

Frank

Frank