post #6901 of 6907 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I love it when folks ask you to "audition a sub in your own home". Having done a fair amount of that, I can say it was a collosal waste of time...

Ok, but that's for you - you have a dedicated home theater (and an obvious need for serious bass ), so auditioning subwoofers becomes a major undertaking. You offer good advice for people in similar situations, but I wonder if you've actually bothered to read the last page or two of posts. Like I've already mentioned, I honestly don't think JL was targeting people like you with the Fathom line. These are purpose built to look nice and be discreet, so they can blend in with your furniture, and your significant other might actually like how they look. To me, they seem most at home in a living room, where they can be tucked away wherever convenient, then let ARO smooth out the bumps (although I've found that solution to be somewhat lacking). That's not to say they can't get the job done in other situations, but people are of course well advised to take the time to educate themselves before buying any kind of HT gear.

Nobody is saying that Fathom subs will give you "truly epic sound". We have defended them simply because they excel in the applications for which they were designed. This should become self-evident with just a modest amount of research. Also, keep in mind that people will have different expectations of the sound they're looking for, so for some (like me!), they could be just "epic" enough (and I only use a pair of F112s). I know most people here at AVS are not exactly mainstream consumers, but there is no shortage of resources to put you on the right track. 95% of the folks that have heard my system have never heard anything like it before. They would be thrilled to have half the sound I get.

We are absolutely not trying to steer people wrong in this thread. Of course, from time to time, some people might get a little carried away singing the praises of their favorite sub. Typical online forum behavior, nothing more. If you think you can spend a few minutes digging around in here and come up with the solution to your home theater woes, you are sadly mistaken. Ask questions. Start a help thread. Put in a little effort and you will find your way. These are lessons most internet users should have learned by now.
audiofan1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6907 Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 378
For my dedicated HT room I have 4 Fathoms ( which is more than enough ). Helped and calibrated by a HAA representative using his equipment I have achieved great results ( especially I only have 3 HT seats I'm the one that sits in MLP )I have plenty of head room especially for the room of my size 3.8m x 5.0m. I've been asked if I have those bass shakers ( which I don't ) because you can feel the pressure under the chairs. For me that tells me the subs are doing there job
If I had a larger room I will put my hand up and admit that I will need larger subs but these Subs they do an amazing job for my room.
The thing is we are all here as we're passionate about HT but members should be able to respect other members decisions and just enjoy. Remember It's not a race and there is no winner.

Frank
audiofan1 and giogt600 like this.

Frank
post #6903 of 6907 Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
For my dedicated HT room I have 4 Fathoms ( which is more than enough ). Helped and calibrated by a HAA representative using his equipment I have achieved great results ( especially I only have 3 HT seats I'm the one that sits in MLP )I have plenty of head room especially for the room of my size 3.8m x 5.0m. I've been asked if I have those bass shakers ( which I don't ) because you can feel the pressure under the chairs. For me that tells me the subs are doing there job
If I had a larger room I will put my hand up and admit that I will need larger subs but these Subs they do an amazing job for my room.
The thing is we are all here as we're passionate about HT but members should be able to respect other members decisions and just enjoy. Remember It's not a race and there is no winner.

Frank
Naa! People used to do it for the love of Cinema & Music, not anymore old timer
post #6904 of 6907 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Naa! People used to do it for the love of Cinema & Music, not anymore old timer
Well if thats the case I better get mine into training and do some upgrades. Gotta win for Australia
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank
post #6905 of 6907 Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 624
No worries franin! as long as there ready for the next "Olympics" as I have it on good word there will be a new sub woofer shot put,javelin, displacement & placement and overall SQ categories! Also mandatory testing for enhancement drugs (metaphor) will be heavily enforced as we don't want something like a JL or other commercial subs mocking up the games with good performance, but ya better get started as I've got a Grandson who's just getting done with the "sub crawl" and about to do his first room calibration
Franin likes this.
post #6906 of 6907 Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Also mandatory testing for enhancement drugs (metaphor) will be heavily enforced as we don't want something like a JL or other commercial subs mocking up the games with good performance
Damn I just gave mine a shot of steroids, I forgot there was going to be testing

Quote:
but ya better get started as I've got a Grandson who's just getting done with the "sub crawl" and about to do his first room calibration

Looks like I have to do it your way. You have a head start I shall double my efforts. My son has a lot of calibrating ahead of him. Now where is my whip.....

Frank
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank

Last edited by Franin; Yesterday at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6907 of 6907 Old Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 25
LOL you guys are having too much fun in a subwoofer thread.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers