JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - Page 232 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 45Likes
post #6931 of 6951 Old 05-23-2015, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just hooked up my fathom 12 and I am having some issues.
I can not get the automatic room optimization to work. I follow the book and it still won't work. Anyone with any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 6951 Old 05-23-2015, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean122601 View Post
Just hooked up my fathom 12 and I am having some issues.
I can not get the automatic room optimization to work. I follow the book and it still won't work. Anyone with any experience with this?

When you put the mic in the main listening position.....you may have to turn up the sub a bit to get it to register with the mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6933 of 6951 Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 AM

I will try that. The calibrate light doesn't e be turn on. Normal?
post #6934 of 6951 Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 AM

Power on the sub making sure it's not in auto mode. Once you've connected the mic....make sure the level mode is set to variable...start with master level at 12 o'clock.... LP filter to off.... e.l.f. trim to 0.....then press the calibrate button and yes it should light up mate. If the sequence of sounds it emits stops quite quickly and the calibrate light starts flashing about once every second then the level is too low and needs turning up a bit. Hope you have success but beyond doing that....if there's still no joy....it could be a phone call to your dealer.

Gio

dean122601 likes this.
post #6935 of 6951 Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giogt600 View Post
Power on the sub making sure it's not in auto mode. Once you've connected the mic....make sure the level mode is set to variable...start with master level at 12 o'clock.... LP filter to off.... e.l.f. trim to 0.....then press the calibrate button and yes it should light up mate. If the sequence of sounds it emits stops quite quickly and the calibrate light starts flashing about once every second then the level is too low and needs turning up a bit. Hope you have success but beyond doing that....if there's still no joy....it could be a phone call to your dealer.

Gio

It still didn't work. I will call dealer on Tuesday. The sub sounds great how much better does the JL calibration make it?
post #6936 of 6951 Old 05-24-2015, 06:23 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
It still didn't work. I will call dealer on Tuesday. The sub sounds great how much better does the JL calibration make it?

Just to give you an idea I bypass mine. I let Audyssey xt32 do the work.

Frank
dean122601 likes this.

Frank
post #6937 of 6951 Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I don't honestly think performing the the JL A.R.O. is absolutely crucial in the current version of these wonderful subs. I think maybe once the V2 version of the fathoms come out it might be more of an effective feature. For me it was just the case of......it's a feature of the sub that's there, so I used it before letting audyssey XT32 do its thing. Just like frank has said....I also know other owners that don't use it either and they seem perfectly happy with their subs. My thinking is....it's a feature of the sub and wether you want to use it or not....it should work. For all we know it may just turn out to be a faulty mic that's not registering with the sub.
Ether way.....once you've contacted JL Audio I'm sure they'll soon sort it for you.

Gio

dean122601 likes this.
post #6938 of 6951 Old 05-25-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It really depends on what your room requires in terms of correction; that said, most untreated rooms will need more. I found it did help eliminate a lot of bloat in the sound by going after the primary room mode. But, as others have already said, the more advanced processors are far more capable. Correcting both modes and ringing (time domain) brought my F112 (now two of them) to another level. Since I'm running 2.1 sound with an analog preamp, I use an external processor (dspeaker 8033c) to feed the Fathoms, and it works wonders.
dean122601 likes this.
post #6939 of 6951 Old 05-26-2015, 04:06 PM

So I am still having issues with the calibration system of my fathom 12. Called dealer and he says no problem will take care of it. So I asked the dealer if it would be an issue if I traded in for a fathom 13 and he said no problem. My question is would it be worth to trade up to the 13? Mostly home theater in my house Dealer working on a price right now just don't know if it is worth the extra money. Anyone have any insight on the comparison of the two? The dealer does not have two set up side by side so can't listen to both. Any help would be great.
post #6940 of 6951 Old 05-26-2015, 04:16 PM

JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub

I've listened to a pair of f113's on several occasions now at my favorite independent dealer and they sound awesome I can tell you that.
I don't think you'd be disappointed with owning the f112.....and for me.....going for the f112 over the f113 was more a choice made on actual size of the sub. The f113 was just a touch to big for my room and where I needed to locate it.
I would say it would come down to the size of your room really.....but you'll definitely love it.
Just think of it this way......whatever you like about the f112.....the f113 will just have more of it. It will dig deeper and have more impact I'd imagine but either way.....they are both top end quality subs and whichever you choose you'll be smiling I'm sure...!! :thumbsup:

dean122601 likes this.
post #6941 of 6951 Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The F113 will dig deeper, no doubt, at the expense of some utility in the mid-bass (likely only a concern if you cross over above 100Hz). If it were me, I'd save up for a second F112 if you have the room (or ditch the Fathom and consider a matched pair of sealed subs from an internet-direct company - there are a few competitive options out there, but none will match the fit and finish of the Fathoms). Dual subs, properly positioned, solve a lot of difficult room problems, making them easier to correct. I also concur on the size factor - my F112s weigh almost exactly 100lbs a piece, and I'm just able to comfortably carry them. They also seem to fit nicely pretty much anywhere I try to put them.
Franin, giogt600 and dean122601 like this.
post #6942 of 6951 Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
So I am still having issues with the calibration system of my fathom 12. Called dealer and he says no problem will take care of it. So I asked the dealer if it would be an issue if I traded in for a fathom 13 and he said no problem. My question is would it be worth to trade up to the 13? Mostly home theater in my house Dealer working on a price right now just don't know if it is worth the extra money. Anyone have any insight on the comparison of the two? The dealer does not have two set up side by side so can't listen to both. Any help would be great.
Can you turn up the sub volume and do the cal? That worked for me.
Also the sonic signature is different, so do have a listen.
As posted, the F115 goes deeper, but loses mid bass.
post #6943 of 6951 Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Can you turn up the sub volume and do the cal? That worked for me.
Also the sonic signature is different, so do have a listen.
As posted, the F115 goes deeper, but loses mid bass.

I tried that and no luck
post #6944 of 6951 Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
If it were me, I'd save up for a second F112 if you have the room (or ditch the Fathom and consider a matched pair of sealed subs from an internet-direct company - there are a few competitive options out there, but none will match the fit and finish of the Fathoms). Dual subs, properly positioned, solve a lot of difficult room problems, making them easier to correct. I also concur on the size factor - my F112s weigh almost exactly 100lbs a piece, and I'm just able to comfortably carry them. They also seem to fit nicely pretty much anywhere I try to put them.
I agree go for a second Fathom F112. I ended up with 4 at the end of the day

Frank
post #6945 of 6951 Old 05-31-2015, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post
Everyone knows I'm a fan of the sealed/EQ'd alignment, as well as the feature set of the JL subs.

At great risk that Ron Stimpson will search out this post a year and a half from now, call it 'recent' and use it to prove my incessant SVS fanboy status, I must say...

There's little chance that the Fathom "...played deeper, louder, and tighter than the SVS [SVS PB12-Plus/2] with any material I chose."

I'd be very surprised if this is true in any sense unless non-linear distortions are not considered. Even then, the Fathom will have a tough time matching output with a 2X12" ported sub from 15-30Hz.

Above 30Hz, it's possible, but if the subs were level matched in the same system, I doubt it would be easy to catch that one sub played deeper and louder.

I would like to see what happens to the Fathom at roll off. That will tell if it plays 'deeper' than the PB thingy.

'Tighter' is the easiest of the 3 claims to buy on face value, as the sealed sub should sound tighter than any resonant system.

I agree that comparative numbers are a must if I'm to eat my words here or any of the Fathom hype is to be accepted and the sub is to be judged 'deeper, louder, tighter' than the SVS, which has been thoroughly tested with the graphs and numbers posted by more than just Sir Edward

Bosso
Are you interested in buying a like new PB13 ultra? I would love to sell mine
post #6946 of 6951 Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Anyone know when the fathom V2’s are out?
post #6947 of 6951 Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemkule View Post

Did you ever find out when they would be out?
post #6948 of 6951 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 509
How much difference does it make between 4 subs vs two subs?

I only have one row of seats
post #6949 of 6951 Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemkule View Post
My dealer in Asia mentioned his stock will come in July. So I assume the roll out will be earlier stateside.
post #6950 of 6951 Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I have one row of seats (sits only 3 ) in my room and you can achieve a very good flat response and good amount of head room as well.

Frank

Frank
post #6951 of 6951 Unread Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I'd say 2 subs is the "sweet spot" for price and performance for one row of seats. I have 2 rows so I went with 4. And I like bass, lol.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page