JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - Page 238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 78Likes
post #7111 of 7117 Unread 07-11-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
I need to add a sub to my system and I know it's gonna be a JL Audio subwoofer...
Looks like you deleted your last post, but you mentioned considering used F113s. I'd say go for it if you find a fair price (easier said than done), particularly in light of what I recently learned...

One of my F112s is a somewhat beat up unit I purchased off of eBay almost 3 years ago (judging by the damaged box, it appeared to be from a salvage house that buys damaged goods from UPS/FedEx). After having been left on for well over a year, I powered it off before leaving for a week long vacation. When I returned, it refused to power back up, so I contacted Barry Ober from JL tech support.

JL Audio now offers (at least to those of us in the CONUS) an OOW (out-of-warranty) service program. You pay to ship the unit back to them (must be shipped in the original box with plastic skids - you can buy one from JL if necessary). Then, for a flat fee of $250, they will repair it (doesn't matter what's wrong) and ship it back to you, complete with a 2 year warranty. They even gave me a new grille (original was cracked), calibration mic (missing from the one I purchased) and power cord (also missing). In 3 weeks time, I was back in business. Not a bad deal, IMO.

Last edited by AvidHiker; 07-11-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7117 Unread 07-11-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ah yes. I deleted it because I'd written essentially the same question last week but forgot. The thread was long and in my moment of fatigue I forgot that I'd already asked the question.

Thank you for responding. I'm really glad that JLAudio offer this program for refurbishing a used sub. It's really excellent in terms of customer service. I respect companies that stand by their products for years.

I'm still deeply confused about the ARC vs JLA calibration software interaction. I suspect the only way to find out is to play with them both.

Raoul-Sam
post #7113 of 7117 Unread 07-11-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul View Post
...I'm still deeply confused about the ARC vs JLA calibration software interaction. I suspect the only way to find out is to play with them both.
I don't see any reason you couldn't use both (you would simply have to run the JLA calibration first), however purists would likely want to avoid multiple A/D processing conversions. But, two levels of processing might ultimately be more effective in smoothing out response in a difficult room. IMO, and I think most would agree, starting off with a pair of subs can solve a lot of problems that any room correction system might otherwise struggle to correct. My room really has no need for the shear power offered by dual F112s, but after adding the second sub, the difference was night-and-day (in both cases I was using AntiMode digital sub correction).
post #7114 of 7117 Unread 08-24-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
I don't see any reason you couldn't use both (you would simply have to run the JLA calibration first), however purists would likely want to avoid multiple A/D processing conversions. But, two levels of processing might ultimately be more effective in smoothing out response in a difficult room. IMO, and I think most would agree, starting off with a pair of subs can solve a lot of problems that any room correction system might otherwise struggle to correct. My room really has no need for the shear power offered by dual F112s, but after adding the second sub, the difference was night-and-day (in both cases I was using AntiMode digital sub correction).
Correct...and it also lets you experiment with placement to achieve best overall response...

FS: JKP Affinity .09 Fixed Frame 2.35 screen, 12.5 feet wide - PM for details, ad not posted yet

Thrang's Home Theater, For Now...
post #7115 of 7117 Unread 08-25-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Correct...and it also lets you experiment with placement to achieve best overall response...
That is so true when setting up two F113's, or any dual JL subs. I took my time and tried them stacked together, opposite corners in the room, and finally back and forth off of the front walls until I achieved the "optimum position" for my room. I did all of this before trying the sub's auto adjustment. The fun part was running it again after I treated the room with Vicoustics panels and bass traps. That made a huge change in the response curve.
post #7116 of 7117 Unread 09-24-2016, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Somebody explain the volume settings between Ref and variable. I ran audessy on my receiver and JL DARO and confused about the difference in the settings
post #7117 of 7117 Unread Today, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean122601 View Post
Somebody explain the volume settings between Ref and variable. I ran audessy on my receiver and JL DARO and confused about the difference in the settings
If the new Fathom manual is anything like the old one, I'd expect this topic was thoroughly (and clearly) covered. If you must use both room corrections (which I'm guessing you do if you intend to use Audyssey), then you'll need to run DARO first. Afterwards, in your case, you will likely want to leave the sub in reference mode to prevent accidental changes in the sub volume. Audyssey should take care of the level matching, so there is no need to use the sub in variable mode.

Tip: if you want responses, don't forget to use the word "please" in your post. Just common courtesy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers