JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - Page 239 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #7141 of 7143 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
^ Makes sense to me. I'd just add that the room EQ in the original (v1) Fathom was an analog design, not DSP. Of course there is another section of unknown processing that flattens response and keeps the Fathoms from blowing out their relatively small drivers.

I still don't quite get what draws people to the Fathom line for a sizeable HT installation; particularly one in which the subs are hidden (Fathoms are meant to be seen, IMO). There are so many cheaper options out there now that seem to offer similar (size for size) or far better performance (with no size constraint). We've been over this many times in recent pages of this thread, where several alternative manufacturers have been discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7142 of 7143 Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yeah, I probably should have just got the JBL subs. They had 4 x 18" spec'd for my room, sitting in corners to maximize room gain. They are passive subs - no amps or DSP in them. But my budget for gear is $100k max. The JL's were a way to save some money, since I already had one and there were some decent deals out there on the v1 f113 to match mine.

post #7143 of 7143 Old Today, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
Yeah, I probably should have just got the JBL subs. They had 4 x 18" spec'd for my room, sitting in corners to maximize room gain. They are passive subs - no amps or DSP in them. But my budget for gear is $100k max. The JL's were a way to save some money, since I already had one and there were some decent deals out there on the v1 f113 to match mine.
Sure, four f113's is a seriously good combination and you can't go wrong that way, but whoever who told you that turning off room correction in the f113 means DSP is off was giving you wrong information AFAIK.

I own a JL subwoof so there is no bashing here, but just want to point out that for movies and a relatively huge budget of 100k, there are better alternatives that will TOTALLY change the movie experience for you, IMHO. Subjectively, they sound different, one is mid-bassy, the other is deep-bassy . Objectively, a look at simple compression curves that are easy to read tell you why - look at the 15-20 dB drop of JL's 115 dB curve (that is not good for movies):

JL F113

JTR 1400

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page