JL Audio Fathom 13" Sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alright so after many long months of waiting we received our demo unit JL Audio Fathom single 13". This is the sub to beat. It will no doubt make Velodyne take their DD series back to the drawing board.

This sub is not only better for home theater-type bass than a DD15, it is fast and responsive like a REL. Our DD12 sounded muddy and weak compared to the Fathom. JL Audio will have lots of success with home audio products if this is a sign of things to come.

Anyone in the Southern California area, can pm me if interested in demo'ing at our shop or in your home. I will try to get some pics up in the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I would love to see the test results from someone like craig, Ilkka, Ed, etc. My boss has 2 JL Audio subs and an amp in his BMW M5 (along with a truckload of other goodies) - and they sound awesome. I'm really glad to see JL Audio put the zillions of dollars they have made off the car audio kiddies to good use...

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #3 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kinda defeats the purpose of an M5 when you load it up like that.
I have a buddy with an M3 that has THREE McIntosh amps (2 HUGE ones) with 2 subs in the back. It was so heavy, people thought he lowered his car.

As for the JL sub, how much are they going for? Full retail?
post #4 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, it's pretty understated - it was all done by a high-end custom shop, so everything is tucked away. They used matching leather to cover all the fabricated parts. He has Morel mids and highs scattered about the interior, video screens in the headrests, and a 3rd video screen in the dash for DVD/nav/XM & real-time traffic maps. He also has a DVD player and an xbox in the rear for the kids. Laser & radar detectors & a radar jammer hidden in the bumpers (shhh!), and a bluetooth handsfree phone system integrated in the audio system so it switches to the phone when a call comes-in or he dials.

But the funniest thing is that with all that high-dollar AV gear, the only thing he ever listens to is the business & financial news or sports talk on XM!!!

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #5 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Anyone in the Southern California area, can pm me if interested in demo'ing at our shop or in your home. I will try to get some pics up in the next few days.

I have been thinking about taking a trip down to Carlsbad to listen to the Magico Mini. Might have to go all the way to SD to experience the Fathom!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #6 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

This is definitely the "it" sub of the moment. Velodyne DD-18s are soooo 2005.
post #7 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 PM

Have a room thats between 3500-3800 cubics. How would the F113 perform in that space?
post #8 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I have been thinking about taking a trip down to Carlsbad to listen to the Magico Mini. Might have to go all the way to SD to experience the Fathom!

You must be talking about Audio Revelation. I think they only carry Velodyne. Two channel place if Im not mistaken?
post #9 of 6776 Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

Have a room thats between 3500-3800 cubics. How would the F113 perform in that space?

We have the F113 in our open showroom which is approximately 4000-4300, and it fills the entire room without breaking a sweat. Our DD12 sounds like boombox compared to this. This thing gets up and goes like you wouldnt believe.

I did mostly music listening today. Tomorrow is War of the Worlds and U-571. This should be fun.
post #10 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

I would love to see the test results from someone like craig, Ilkka, Ed, etc. My boss has 2 JL Audio subs and an amp in his BMW M5 (along with a truckload of other goodies) - and they sound awesome. I'm really glad to see JL Audio put the zillions of dollars they have made off the car audio kiddies to good use...

i would expect this sub to perform about the level of a sealed Tumult 15" driver...they both have about the same Vd and sensitivity...the Fathom has a "very" robust driver, and that's always a good start to great performance...i actually thought about using two of the 13w7's in a dual, low Q sealed design awhile back...

It'll be interesting to note the variable results of ARO and the ELF trim feature...i'm guessing a sliding highpass filter...i seem to recall that the Fathom was designed to go down to 22 Hz...i've curiously been unable to find this quote again on their website...hopefully someone will get this thing "on the bench" soon...those are some spectacular claims in regard to the Velodyne DD series...

"Frequency response is NOT efficiency response."

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

B&C 21SW152-4  [21" critical-Q]

post #11 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a pair of the F113s set up in my HT room which is about 4000cubic ft. and they are incredible. I got them last Sat. and didn't have a 5meter cable for the fartherest one so only had one working for the first 5 days. Believe me thats all I needed, but I WANTED two so kept them both. As I have said in a seperate thread, these are incredable subs with deep bass that is not boomy or bloated. My D1 Pre/Pro has a room resonence filter and sends a tone as low as 19Hz. That tone is very clear and moves your chest. I'll be keeping these bad boys for awhile. By the way, they are heavy as hell!! 140lbs. each. I bought the 70in. Sony XBR2 at the same time and it only weigh 10lbs more than one of the subs. They are built to last.

gthomas
post #12 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You must be talking about Audio Revelation. I think they only carry Velodyne. Two channel place if Im not mistaken?

I think you are right. I have never been there. If I were to do the 90 minute drive there, another 30 minutes or so to your shop would not be a big deal.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #13 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 AM

That sub looks amazing, the review reads amazing, I WANT ONE!!!

I don't think the comparison to the PB12-Plus/2 is fair considering the price difference,
would love to hear how it compares to the bigger PB12-Ultra/2.

Also at that price, I'd love to see a comparo with the Danley tower of Power.

Throw in the upcoming BMF, loan them all to me, and I'll gladly take a week
of work to play around and report back to ya'll
post #14 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new27 View Post

I don't think the comparison to the PB12-Plus/2 is fair considering the price difference,
would love to hear how it compares to the bigger PB12-Ultra/2.

There is no size difference between the Plus and the Ultra....and the sound quality between the two is not large. Judging by the reactions and reviews of the Fathom, the Ultra probably does not fair much better than the Plus.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #15 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

We need to get one of these into the hands of Ed Mullen asap.
post #16 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Everyone knows I'm a fan of the sealed/EQ'd alignment, as well as the feature set of the JL subs.

At great risk that Ron Stimpson will search out this post a year and a half from now, call it 'recent' and use it to prove my incessant SVS fanboy status, I must say...

There's little chance that the Fathom "...played deeper, louder, and tighter than the SVS [SVS PB12-Plus/2] with any material I chose."

I'd be very surprised if this is true in any sense unless non-linear distortions are not considered. Even then, the Fathom will have a tough time matching output with a 2X12" ported sub from 15-30Hz.

Above 30Hz, it's possible, but if the subs were level matched in the same system, I doubt it would be easy to catch that one sub played deeper and louder.

I would like to see what happens to the Fathom at roll off. That will tell if it plays 'deeper' than the PB thingy.

'Tighter' is the easiest of the 3 claims to buy on face value, as the sealed sub should sound tighter than any resonant system.

I agree that comparative numbers are a must if I'm to eat my words here or any of the Fathom hype is to be accepted and the sub is to be judged 'deeper, louder, tighter' than the SVS, which has been thoroughly tested with the graphs and numbers posted by more than just Sir Edward

Bosso
post #17 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Everyone knows I'm a fan of the sealed/EQ'd alignment, as well as the feature set of the JL subs.

At great risk that Ron Stimpson will search out this post a year and a half from now, call it 'recent' and use it to prove my incessant SVS fanboy status, I must say...

There's little chance that the Fathom "...played deeper, louder, and tighter than the SVS [SVS PB12-Plus/2] with any material I chose."

I'd be very surprised if this is true in any sense unless non-linear distortions are not considered. Even then, the Fathom will have a tough time matching output with a 2X12" ported sub from 15-30Hz.

Above 30Hz, it's possible, but if the subs were level matched in the same system, I doubt it would be easy to catch that one sub played deeper and louder.

I would like to see what happens to the Fathom at roll off. That will tell if it plays 'deeper' than the PB thingy.

'Tighter' is the easiest of the 3 claims to buy on face value, as the sealed sub should sound tighter than any resonant system.

I agree that comparative numbers are a must if I'm to eat my words here or any of the Fathom hype is to be accepted and the sub is to be judged 'deeper, louder, tighter' than the SVS, which has been thoroughly tested with the graphs and numbers posted by more than just Sir Edward

Bosso

...careful Bosso...the iconoclast in you is rearing its head again ...and i love it!...i feel the same thing whenever i read the "subjective reviews"...i try to dilute my posts as much as possible but it's "hard" being the "shepherd" when it's the wolf that wants to get out...

"Frequency response is NOT efficiency response."

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

B&C 21SW152-4  [21" critical-Q]

post #18 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright so I was able to dig up the first formal review of the new Fathom.

"The JL Audio Fathom f113 is the single best A/V product I have experienced. The improvement it made to my home-theater system was stunning. I've never heard better."

Here is the link for information:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...athom_f113.htm
post #19 of 6776 Old 10-14-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:

Alright so I was able to dig up the first formal review of the new Fathom.

"The JL Audio Fathom f113 is the single best A/V product I have experienced. The improvement it made to my home-theater system was stunning. I've never heard better."

Here is the link for information:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...athom_f113.htm

Bosso was quoting from that review already
post #20 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bosso,

Will you be having mayo or mustard with those words?
post #21 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Bosso,

Will you be having mayo or mustard with those words?

Hi Pete,

Well, I sure hope it goes that way, and I'll probably need both mustard and mayo, since I laid a big pile 'o words out there.

Bosso
post #22 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramskoi View Post

...careful Bosso...the iconoclast in you is rearing its head again ...and i love it!...i feel the same thing whenever i read the "subjective reviews"...i try to dilute my posts as much as possible but it's "hard" being the "shepherd" when it's the wolf that wants to get out...

Hey Kram, I owe ya a big. Every time I read one of your posts (and I try to read them all, as they're full of great stuff), I learn a new word.

Bosso
post #23 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Hey Kram, I owe ya a big. Every time I read one of your posts (and I try to read them all, as they're full of great stuff), I learn a new word.

Bosso

yo Bo'shizzle my nizzle.....you got PM!
post #24 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 05:22 PM

Where is a good place to get a price on F113?
post #25 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 05:41 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1max1 View Post

Where is a good place to get a price on F113?

JL's website: find local dealer

Hoping to here some JLs at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.
post #26 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone in the midwest, I bought my pair from Independence Audio/Video in Independence, Missouri. Ask for George Wilson. I got a good deal, but I also bought a Sony KDS70 XBR2.

gthomas
post #27 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Liked: 11
It is always fascinating what a good review will do. I called back the store who would match Federal's $1900 price a few weeks ago ... they are now willing to go $2500. Still, that is a pretty solid street price for the unit on its own.
post #28 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

It is always fascinating what a good review will do. I called back the store who would match Federal's $1900 price a few weeks ago ... they are now willing to go $2500. Still, that is a pretty solid street price for the unit on its own.

What/where is this "Federal" store? Federal stereo website?
$1900 sounds like a steal!
post #29 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
Federal is not an authorized dealer, and the (anonymity was assured them) dealer I talked to was dealing in an "unknown" quantity last month, but the positive review has stirred up interest ... supply and demand.
post #30 of 6776 Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 PM

No dealers close to me. I wound if one of the car audio dealer could get one for me?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page