post #3061 of 17320 Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 View Post

Nice what are the speakers?

Yes Aperion Audio 6Ts and 6C for the center channel. They are absolutely wonderful.

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 17320 Old 09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah thats what I get for speed reading. Nice setup
post #3063 of 17320 Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
I think I've finally decided on getting a couple of the new PC12-NSD subs when they're released. It looks as though the new PC12 plus has optional tunings from the factory. Any news as to whether the new PC12 will also have these options? I'm looking for 20Hz tuning as opposed to 25.

Kevin
post #3064 of 17320 Old 10-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Setup of 2 ultra 13 in 20x24x10 room

i'm using (2) ultra 13's in this dedicated HT room with 2 port plugs.

Just wondering if anyone is rocking 2 ultra with (3) port plugs inserted?

Do some not like any plugs?
post #3065 of 17320 Old 10-12-2008, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My PB12/Plus 2 subs are in there new home:

I have also placed my center speaker on the Lovan M2 Center Stand.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #3066 of 17320 Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaners View Post

Hello SVS owners. I've slowly been building a home theater and so far I've added a 50" Panny plasma, a Yamaha RX-V1800, Mirage Omnisat V2FS's and the next piece I'd like to add (before a center or surrounds) is the sub. I've narrowed down my subwoofer search between the PB10-NSD or the PB12-NSD. My room is roughly 2200 cubic feet. I should note that I do live in an apartment complex and would rather not alienate my neighbors...at least not too much. My question is, will the PB10 be sufficient enough for a room this size? I've contacted SVS sales and they said both the PB10 and PB12 would work. Realistically, I could buy the PB12, but if the PB10 would be more than enough for me I'd rather go that route and put the extra money towards a center/surrounds. Thoughts? And THANK YOU for your input!

As somebody that just switched from 1 x Paradigm PW2200 to 2 x PB12-NSD's i have to say that 1 x PB12-NSD can reach levels that are definitely beyond what your neighbors would like. Calibrated at 75 db's, the same as the rest of my setup, It is very loud in bass scenes. If you just wanted something temporary for the apartment the PB10-NSD would probably be more than enough for the levels you could play at. If you wanted to future proof a bit you should go with the PB12-NSD, just make sure you have it calibrated low

Then if you get a house, all you have to do is add another 1 or even a bigger one & you're looking at serious bass
post #3067 of 17320 Old 10-13-2008, 07:55 AM

A little confused, there are a lot of new subs coming out for SVS. Will the new PC Plus hit harder than the new SB-12?
post #3068 of 17320 Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativeimages View Post

A little confused, there are a lot of new subs coming out for SVS. Will the new PC Plus hit harder than the new SB-12?

As of now, there is no announcement for a new SB-12 Plus. There is a new PB12-Plus and a new PC-12 Plus (replaces the 20-39 PC-Plus). These two subs should perform very similarly. Usually the box versions of SVS's subs have a *tiny* output advantage over the cylinders, but I've been reassured multiple times that their real-world performance is virtually identical. Both the new PB12-Plus and PC-12 Plus should "hit harder" than the SB-12 Plus, and they should also offer much more deep bass output.
post #3069 of 17320 Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM

I re-read what I wrote, my fault for not writing the specific models, but what you mentioned is what I was gearing for. Thank you for the call. The reason why I was asking is because I would like to purchase the new PC-12 Plus, seems like a great sub for the money. Don't have deep enough pockets for the Ultra, PC-12 Plus should be a nice upgrade replacing my current Energy XL 8" Sub, LOL.

Cheers!
post #3070 of 17320 Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativeimages View Post

... PC-12 Plus should be a nice upgrade replacing my current Energy XL 8" Sub, LOL.

Cheers!

I should say so!
post #3071 of 17320 Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish someone would sell an PB12 Ultra/2 Textured Black!!! I want another!!!

I run mine in 25hz mode....

Anyone selling an SVS PB12 Ultra/2 in Textured Black in North Tx, Ok., La., or Ar., P.M. me please. Have truck, will travel!

My outdated HT pics
post #3072 of 17320 Old 10-14-2008, 07:13 AM

I recently purchased a PB12-NSD and I've noticed that the sub will sometimes "cut out" and not receive a signal from my receiver (Yammy RX-V1800). I'll be playing COD4 and be in explosion heaven and then all of a sudden...no more sub. I've checked the woofer when this happens and it's not even moving. So I figure that it's got to be the connection. Well, I've noticed that the subwoofer cable I use is kind of loose fitting around the RCA jack and when I move it around it either receives a signal again or cuts off the signal to the sub. This happens in both L or R RCA In jacks. This is the cable I use: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Well, I went ahead and purchased a different cable from Monoprice this morning in the hopes that it will solve my problem: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My question is, have any of you had a similiar experience with your SVS subs? Should I be more concerned that maybe the RCA jacks are garbage? I'm really hoping that it's just a bad cable because I really don't want to have to ship it back. Any ideas? Thoughts? As always, thank you!
post #3073 of 17320 Old 10-14-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hey seaners,

Sorry you're having issues with your PB12-NSD. Since it cuts out when you move the connection, it certainly sounds like the classic bad cable. If not, drop us a note in Tech Support and we'll take care of it right away. The subs are modular, so we can send a new amp if needed rather than have you ship a whole sub.

Thanks!

techsupport@svsound.com

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #3074 of 17320 Old 10-24-2008, 01:43 PM

It doesn't look as though anyone has any advice for me on this in the sub thread so I thought I'd repost here. My question is on whether or not bass traps are a necessary evil to be used in my bedroom. The room itself is a "live" room (plaster & lath (older house). I listen/watch movies 90% of the time and enjoy the sound from my left front corner placed Svs Pb10-Nsd, but what do I know about how "good" sound is supposed to sound? This is my 1st surround sound system. Maybe I could benefit from these bass traps? The placement more than anything would be tough because I want my bedroom to look like a bedroom not a studio of some sort.
post #3075 of 17320 Old 10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htjunkee View Post

It doesn't look as though anyone has any advice for me on this in the sub thread so I thought I'd repost here. My question is on whether or not bass traps are a necessary evil to be used in my bedroom. The room itself is a "live" room (plaster & lath (older house). I listen/watch movies 90% of the time and enjoy the sound from my left front corner placed Svs Pb10-Nsd, but what do I know about how "good" sound is supposed to sound? This is my 1st surround sound system. Maybe I could benefit from these bass traps? The placement more than anything would be tough because I want my bedroom to look like a bedroom not a studio of some sort.

IMO bass traps are always a good thing if you're seeking to get the best bass performance possible. To me, the only questions are:

Can you afford them?
Can you fit them in your room (sizewise and aesthetically)?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, bass traps are a no brainer.
post #3076 of 17320 Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Bass traps are great if you have the space for them. In a bedroom, I'd look at equalization (unless you have a very large bedroom).

-Robb
post #3077 of 17320 Old 10-24-2008, 06:39 PM

Hey la,rob, thanks for the feedback in this case it's a good thing, (feedback that is) I appreciate your thoughts. I can say I "have" the money but I guess the question is whether or not it's wise to spent said monies on this particular treatment. I suppose we can all find the resources (if need be) but if not necessary(still wondering) why allocate them to a particular source such as traps with my not having any experience with them? I value your opinions but as you know a dollar is hard to come by these days, without sounding too political. I checked out some sites for them (the bass traps) (won't mention which sites) they're a little expensive for me. Don't even mention EQing my room way too advanced for this newbie.
post #3078 of 17320 Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey la,rob, thanks for the feedback in this case it's a good thing, (feedback that is) I appreciate your thoughts. I can say I "have" the money but I guess the question is whether or not it's wise to spent said monies on this particular treatment. I suppose we can all find the resources (if need be) but if not necessary(still wondering) why allocate them to a particular source such as traps with my not having any experience with them? I value your opinions but as you know a dollar is hard to come by these days, without sounding too political. I checked out some sites for them (the bass traps) (won't mention which sites) they're a little expensive for me. Don't even mention EQing my room way too advanced for this newbie.

EQing a subwoofer is actually relatively easy to do. Of course, if you don't want to go through the trouble, that's up to you. However, there are a few great options out there, requiring varying amounts of technical know-how.

The most time-consuming (but most flexible) way of EQ you'll probably hear about for use with subwoofers is to use a program called Room EQ Wizard (REW) and a pro audio EQ (usually the Behringer 1124 or 2496). These require a sound card, microphone (or SPL meter), and a computer. It will probably cost $100-300 to do this, depending on what cables and other equipment you need to purchase. You run frequency sweeps with REW and the microphone picks up the in-room response and graphs it for you in REW on the computer. Afterwards, you can tweak things on the graph, input the settings into the Behringer EQ, and voila! You've EQ'd! If this method doesn't sound as daunting as you thought it might be, there's a ton of information here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Another much simpler method of EQ uses the AntiMode 8033. I think it's in the $300-$400 range. It's supposed to be an automated fire-and-forget device. I don't know much about it, and there might be more to it than that, but I know there's a ton of info on a thread here on AVS. Here it is - you might have to get a few pages in before you get to the good stuff:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=antimode

A third tried and true (but expensive) way to EQ is by using the Velodyne SMS-1. This can auto EQ and also can hook up to your TV so you can see the graph of your in-room frequency response. You can also make adjustments manually as desired. However, the SMS-1 costs $600.

Anyway, it's possible you truly don't want to even think about EQ. I've found it (along with bass traps) to make a BIG difference in my bedroom, though, so unless you're completely green when it comes to electronics (I don't think you'd be on AVS if you were), it's totally worth the effort IMO. I use REW and a Behringer FBQ2496, but the others are much simpler if you don't want to spend a little bit of time learning the ins and outs of REW. Anyway, good luck
post #3079 of 17320 Old 10-25-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

EQing a subwoofer is actually relatively easy to do. Of course, if you don't want to go through the trouble, that's up to you. However, there are a few great options out there, requiring varying amounts of technical know-how.

The most time-consuming (but most flexible) way of EQ you'll probably hear about for use with subwoofers is to use a program called Room EQ Wizard (REW) and a pro audio EQ (usually the Behringer 1124 or 2496). These require a sound card, microphone (or SPL meter), and a computer. It will probably cost $100-300 to do this, depending on what cables and other equipment you need to purchase. You run frequency sweeps with REW and the microphone picks up the in-room response and graphs it for you in REW on the computer. Afterwards, you can tweak things on the graph, input the settings into the Behringer EQ, and voila! You've EQ'd! If this method doesn't sound as daunting as you thought it might be, there's a ton of information here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Another much simpler method of EQ uses the AntiMode 8033. I think it's in the $300-$400 range. It's supposed to be an automated fire-and-forget device. I don't know much about it, and there might be more to it than that, but I know there's a ton of info on a thread here on AVS. Here it is - you might have to get a few pages in before you get to the good stuff:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=antimode

A third tried and true (but expensive) way to EQ is by using the Velodyne SMS-1. This can auto EQ and also can hook up to your TV so you can see the graph of your in-room frequency response. You can also make adjustments manually as desired. However, the SMS-1 costs $600.

Anyway, it's possible you truly don't want to even think about EQ. I've found it (along with bass traps) to make a BIG difference in my bedroom, though, so unless you're completely green when it comes to electronics (I don't think you'd be on AVS if you were), it's totally worth the effort IMO. I use REW and a Behringer FBQ2496, but the others are much simpler if you don't want to spend a little bit of time learning the ins and outs of REW. Anyway, good luck

Wow, Thanks for all the information la. At some point this hobby may steer me in the direction of the Eqing and bass traps. But for now I'd probably like to stay blissfully ignorant as to what those treatments could do for me. I don't have my computer (desktop) in my room right now for the Eqing, and I would have to find out how to make the bass traps look presentable. I don't want my room to look more like a studio than a bedroom, if I can see,find, a style of traps that maybe don't look like a standard bass trap I could see considering them. btw is Audyssey with my Integra Dtr7.8 a auto Eq? If it is it probably isn't as good as your specific suggestions but I have run that several times since putting my system together. I wouldn't know if the system sounds better with it because I never operated the system without the Audyssey.
post #3080 of 17320 Old 10-25-2008, 08:59 AM

After doing a lot of research, I'm 90% sure I'm buying a SVS Sub. I'm more inclined to go with the cheapest one as any of these will be MUCH better than the non powered sub I have in my HTiB (which is getting completely replaced). The intended use is movies (DVD and HD-DVD until I can afford BR) and games, if its good at music, I'll probably use it for that too but its not a requirement. I was initially looking at cheaper subs (sub $300), but from what I've been reading, I'm way better off spending just that little bit more. I just purchased a Pioneer VSX-1018H-K receiver. The room it will be in is not large at all, but in a year or 2 I will most likely move to a bigger house.

A few questions I have:

1. Will I miss the extra inputs on the back if I go with the PB10 vs the PB12?
2. It appears the PCi 25-31 is discontinued and at a decent price, but looks like its using the older ISD sub instead of the NSD. Comparing the PB10 to that, which is the better buy? It also makes it $100 cheaper than the PB12.

Thanks for your input!
post #3081 of 17320 Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Pb10 is a good sub in a small room especially for gaming and ht. Of course the Pb12 will be alot better
post #3082 of 17320 Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkatation View Post

A few questions I have:

1. Will I miss the extra inputs on the back if I go with the PB10 vs the PB12?
2. It appears the PCi 25-31 is discontinued and at a decent price, but looks like its using the older ISD sub instead of the NSD. Comparing the PB10 to that, which is the better buy? It also makes it $100 cheaper than the PB12.

Thanks for your input!

1. Only if you want to connect as a stereo sub (with a paired PB10) or your receiver doesn't have a sub out.
2. The PCi does have the NSD driver. Not the ISD driver.
The PB10 has always been an over achiever. Meaning it performs better than it should. That said, the 25-31 would still out perform the PB10. At $499 that's a good deal.

Randy
post #3083 of 17320 Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 PM

My PB12-NSD will be here tomorrow, if it doesn't get lost in the snow storm...

Is it just me or does it seem that when it gets to the price range of the PB12-NSD more people stray from SVS than at any other price point? Seems like the PB10-NSD is a no brainer and the PB13 Ultra is a no brainer, at their respective price points, but the PB12 was more difficult to commit to. I think I will be happy with my choice, although it was very difficult to not pre-order the new PB12-Plus. It was more difficult to spend the extra money though…
post #3084 of 17320 Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just checked in, and I'm pleased to see this thread has survived! I just upgraded my system to Blu-ray, and have fallen in love with my PB Plus-2 all over again. The clarity of the Blu-ray format, and the richness of the lossless formats is so well suited for LFE. The first viewing of Ironman was frightening. I was waiting for something to break somewhere in the house. I had to add some non-skid rubber feet to my cable box to keep it in place. I actually ended up backing down my LFE out level on the Denon cause it was just too much. I've noticed that my overall volume when listening to Blu-ray discs is a bit higher than standard DVDs. I'm not sure if it has something to to with the different inputs or the format itself.

Keep 'em coming SVS owners!

Strong men also cry.
post #3085 of 17320 Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 AM

Check out the new Hulk, a much better sound track than IM.
post #3086 of 17320 Old 10-30-2008, 03:50 PM

I was one of the first people to invest in a SVS (the 25-31CS+) sub all those years ago and mine is still a champ!

It isn't the biggest or baddest (with all the improvements since) but it still gets the job done. Paired with a Velodyne sub, my SVS is a wonder especially now with modern TrueHD and DTS-Master discs.

These things are built to last.

Any of the original owners still enjoying their early subs?

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3
SVS 25-31CS+
post #3087 of 17320 Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 AM

I bought an SVS sub back in 2001, the original 20-39PC. Until very recently, when the driver suddenly decided to blow (after watching Iron Man on Blu-Ray), it had played flawlessly for 7 years and was the oldest component in my home theater. Everything else in my theater has since been upgraded. The sub lasted through the years though.

It's being replaced with the newly pre-ordered PC12-Plus, which I am anxiously awaiting.
post #3088 of 17320 Old 10-31-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEOKNG View Post

Any of the original owners still enjoying their early subs?

Absolutely. Mine is an original 20-39 PCi from April of 2002.

Sounds fine and have had no reason to want to upgrade whatsoever.

It is more sub than I will ever need in my room. I have never heard it strain at all on any material. Sounds great on music and movies.

Of course I have a fairly small room that is well damped and never play anything at "reference".

I see that they have a driver upgrade for the early PCi's on their website for reasonable cost.

What would be the advantage of upgrading assuming I have no need for any more output level?

Thanks,

--Mark--
post #3089 of 17320 Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Ultra 13 and I thought Iron Man was also to hot on the bass...
post #3090 of 17320 Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 PM

Quick question:

I have a pc12+ on preorder and want to try and isolate it as much as possible from my downstairs neighbors. Will a 15x15 subdude fully and stabely support the svs cylinders?

Thanks guys.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Speaker Systems , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page