Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 17393 Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question when I set my SB12+ to auto it keeps shutting off while watching tv
My old sub I had pluged into my denon so when the denon was off the sub was off & Vice Versa BUT SVS manual said not to power it up from an AVR ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 17393 Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley View Post

My question is about SVS speakers. Have any of you guys heard or bought the speakers for the 5.1 speaker system they have for 600 dollars?

Im interested in getting something better than HTIB quality and it seems good price for the speakers but how are the quality?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=svs+speakers

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=14289648

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #363 of 17393 Old 10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

Quick question when I set my SB12+ to auto it keeps shutting off while watching tv
My old sub I had pluged into my denon so when the denon was off the sub was off & Vice Versa BUT SVS manual said not to power it up from an AVR ?

Do not power it from the AVR. Too much power draw.

Do one of two things:

1. Turn down the gain on the sub and turn up the level of the sub output from your Denon to compensate. That way the sub will "see" more signal and would be more likely to stay on.

or

2. Don't use Auto-on. Leave the sub on all the time. It won't hurt it and the draw when idle is very small.
post #364 of 17393 Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

Is the PC-plus worth the extra $200 over the PCi subs for the all around average HT setup?

Yes.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #365 of 17393 Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

Question would improper placement = a lack of lows
and if so & hade no choice in moving the sub would rasing the gain composite for thos lack ?

When I added the Tri Trap bass trap, I had to reduce the gain on the back of the sub about 30% for the same volume as before. Food for thought.

Nick
post #366 of 17393 Old 10-30-2006, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally put in my order for the 25-31PCi (custom tuned to 22hz) from sonicboomaudio up here in Canada. Can't wait to feel some real bass!!!! Should be here by Friday. So long POS Advent sub!!!

EDIT: They rushed it out Today and I should be getting by Wednesday! Got my UPS tracking #!!

post #367 of 17393 Old 10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

What Sub do you think I should consider.....12W x 16L x 8H living room with an opening to the dinning room and opening to kitchen off the dinning room.

MONEY IS AN ISSUE...meaning.......I have VERY LITTLE so I want to get the MOST SUB for the LOWEST amount of money.

SVS options appear to be....
PB10-NSD $429
PB12-NSD $599

Would the PB10 be ENOUGH bass?
(I have a Cerwin Vega LW-12 right now that I'm judging this on).... ( I know you can never have enough but $170more is basically buying my surrounds!!)

(not so sure about the Cylinder subs.....)

ps.....

How do you properly Calibrate a Subwoofer. I've never done it, so I want to learn.
Might as well get practice with this now while I have my Vega Sub for now...

Thanks

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #368 of 17393 Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

How do you properly Calibrate a Subwoofer. I've never done it, so I want to learn.

Thanks

Try this: http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3418

some info on the SVS site also: http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#meter

post #369 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Well I spent 2 weeks trying to figure out what sub to buy for my 3000 cubic ft HT room. I talked with Eric at SVS and someone at HSU Research.

Eric from SVS was telling me I needed the PB12-Plus/2 since my HT room is actually 6000+ cubic feet because one side is partially open to the basement. The portion which is the HT room is actually 3000 cubic feet and the sub would be placed in a corner of drywall with concrete behind. The only problem was the PB12-Plus/2 weight. So I inquired about the 20-39 PC-Plus sub. Eric said I would need 2. Well I really felt I was being over-sold and said wouldn't it be better to start off with one and if necessary and another? He simply stated one is not enough.

So I checked out HSU and the asked for more details about the room and finally said their VTF 3 MK2 would be enough especially where I intend to place the sub.

Well I bought the HSU sub and I am just amazed. I'm sure if I purchased a similar sub from SVS I would have been happy, but at the end I chose HSU for the customer support and I didn't feel like they were trying to over-sell me.

Just my 2 cents was wondering if any SVS owners had similar experiences. If any one is in Columbus or Powell Ohio and has a SVS sub I would love to compare my HSU sub to it.

Matt
post #370 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Eric is right...

For that size of a room one usually isn't enough. I can't see Eric pushing you to buy two subs? I'm sure he recommended one and that you could always get another if you weren't happy.

For most people that HSU is not enough sub for that size of room. Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Mike
post #371 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

Eric is right...

For that size of a room one usually isn't enough. I can't see Eric pushing you to buy two subs? I'm sure he recommended one and that you could always get another if you weren't happy.

For most people that HSU is not enough sub for that size of room. Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Mike

By rule of thumb Eric maybe right. However Eric really didnt show much concern over details of the room layout and materials that made up the walls. At HSU they had me send a diagram representing the dimensions and where the seating was located and the composition of each wall.

I cannot imagine having more bass. The bass volume knob is turned 1/3 up and my Denon AVR-4306 calibrated the sub to -12 db (based on 6 locations) I then balanced everything using AVIA @ 85 db.

Basically I would need two subs if I was centered in a 6000 cubic ft room. However, since I am located to one side of the area and my seating distance is 12 to 16ft from the sub - which is located in the corner of two walls composed of concrete and the floor is also concrete. Only one bass is needed. The space I need to fill from the corner is therefore 3000 cubic feet. Bass sound maybe non-directional but my listening area is in close enough proximity where 2 subs would have been overkill

My main purpose was to see if anyone in the Columbus area of Ohio has an SVS (since SVS is made in Ohio) sub and want to compare the sound & impact. I really don't want a SVS Fanboy response.

Matt
post #372 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Then read the title of this thread.

Randy
post #373 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Curious how you come to the conclusion that I gave you a "fan boy respnse"??

You posted this in the SVS owners/Support Thread, everyone hear would be shocked to hear that Eric would steer you in the wrong direction. I'm sure Eric would be shocked if he read this himself.

I'm glad you are enjoying your HSU, it's a great sub! However, why on earth do you want to compare it to an SVS?? Are you suffering from buyer's remorse? If you want to compare the HSU to Plus/2 you will be in for a rude awakening!

I guess the answer you are looking for is that Eric from SVS is a total shite bag, and will sell you anything to makes a few bucks. Good thing you bought an HSU, what a terrible company SVS is!!

Mike
post #374 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What is the point of posting a rant against SVS in the SVS owners thread? I have personal experience of SVS *not* overselling me. I own a PB10-ISD and when the NSD was released I asked SVS if an upgrade was available. They replied that the 10" NSD driver would not be a performance upgrade over what I had and that I didn't need to swap. They could have easily sold me an NSD driver - and they didn't.

You got the answer you wanted to hear from Hsu - good for you, go be happy.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #375 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Then read the title of this thread.

What a lame response I know what thread title is - which is why I posted here. I just want to compare my sub with an SVS in my HT room and was hoping someone in my area would reply.

What is the deal with the haters?

Hell if the SVS is sounds better and is musical I would send back the HSU for the SVS. I just was providing background (not a rant) why I made my choice.

No buyer's remorse just curious to hear the SVS.

No crap of course the PB12-Plus/2 would blow away the VTF3 MK2 it has 2 12" drivers and a larger cabinet. I think I already establish the fact 2 subs or the PB12-Plus/2 would be overkill. I'm thinking either the PB12-Plus or 20-39 cyclinder.

Didn't mean to offend anyone's ego.
By the way more bass doesn't = better. I dont care if my teeth rattle I just want solid, tight bass that can respond musically and also meet THX standards for movies.
The HSU seems to fit the guideline but I am curious to hear the SVS. If your reply isn't going to be conducive then don't waste your time and this forum's storage space.

Matt
post #376 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkbox View Post

What a lame response I know what thread title is - which is why I posted here. I just want to compare my sub with an SVS in my HT room and was hoping someone in my area would reply.

Hell if the SVS is sounds better and is musical I would send back the HSU for the SVS. I just was providing background (not a rant) why I made my choice.

No crap of course the PB12-Plus/2 would blow away the VTF3 MK2 it has 2 12" drivers and a larger cabinet. I think I already establish the fact 2 subs or the PB12-Plus/2 would be overkill. I'm thinking either the PB12-Plus or 20-39 cyclinder.

Matt

With your rude remarks, no one is going to help you out! You can take your HSU and shove it up your..... you fill in blank!!!
post #377 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Matt

You made the original post about HSU. You think SVS was trying to over sell, but there are many here that have been talked down by Erik, Ron, Tom. For a 6000 ft^3 room, everyone else in here would have said 'get a +/2'. When you got a reasonable, polite reply from Mike, you referred to it as a fanboy response. Then you wonder about the haters ( I assume you mean HSU haters), because I gave you a quick reply. If you look at the history of my recommendations, you will see HSU on many occasions.
The fact you think you get enough bass from the MKII is relative. I probably wouldn't think so. HSU didn't really have anything else to offer except the HO, if you wanted to wait till next year. If Erik was going to oversell, he would have said you needed an Ultra/2 or dual +/2. For a space your size, I would want a +/2 at least. I have over 8800 ft^3 and a single +/2. I need a second to fill the space. But I do get plenty of bass with one, I just want more.
So for my less lame response, I believe Erik was correct. If your happy with your MKII's output, great, but that doesn't mean it is size right for your room, it's just sized right for you.
After you spend more time in this forum, you will find the SVS owners are the most helpful when it comes to sub selection, placement, calibration... Not to say others aren't helpful, just that there are more SVS owners here than any other brand. But, because SVS subs are usually included in the recommendations, we are accused of being fanboys. That is not a term of endearment. So, when people get a little sensitive, that is why.

Randy
post #378 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

With your rude remarks, no one is going to help you out! You can take your HSU and shove it up your..... you fill in blank!!!

What the hell? What is rude? I have been catching nothing but flack and rude replies. I just wanted to compare subs. I guess I will buy a couple SVS models myself and test them.

Matt
post #379 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What the hell? What is rude? I have been catching nothing but flack and rude replies. I just wanted to compare subs? I guess I will buy a couple SVS models myself and test them.

Matt

Let me refresh your memory...

Lame response, haters, fanboys, rude replies, and ohhh the lines, " Didn't mean to offend anyone's ego" , and "If your reply isn't going to be conducive then don't waste your time and this forum's storage space."

Does any of this ring a bell??? With the last quote, go practice what you preach!!
post #380 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:

By the way more bass doesn't = better. I dont care if my teeth rattle I just want solid, tight bass that can respond musically and also meet THX standards for movies.
The HSU seems to fit the guideline but I am curious to hear the SVS. If your reply isn't going to be conducive then don't waste your time and this forum's storage space.

Matt

Ah people and our perceptions of personal/thread attacks. I would think having two would be a bit of overkill also, unless you are actually building a home theatre that you could charge equal or higher admission to conventional theatres. Sorry you didn't get the kind of experience you were hoping to receive from SVS and I hope when it does come time for me to make my final buying decision that I am not swayed away by something like this.
Most of the things that are suggested are generalizations along "reference" levels. The reference levels I am seeing here, as well as in most of my other research have been placing the bar higher than I (personally) would expect to meet in general use. That being said, it is nice to know that the bar is set high so that I know I will not be let down should I want to hit that level. And with an SVS I do believe I would end up doing it- like I could just sit there content and not loosen my homes foundation knowing the power was sitting RIGHT THERE!
as for your question about people have SVS in your area maybe this will help you locate someone: http://www.frappr.com/svsowners
Although, based on the weight of these speakers I wonder how many would be actually willing to take it to someone elses location. Doesn't hurt to ask though
post #381 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd8653 View Post

as for your question about people have SVS in your area maybe this will help you locate someone: http://www.frappr.com/svsowners
Although, based on the weight of these speakers I wonder how many would be actually willing to take it to someone elses location. Doesn't hurt to ask though

Thanks for the frapper map tip. I also want to send an apology to those I offended.

Matt
post #382 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 05:05 PM

My living room is 14x26x8 (carpeted). My HT is at one end with the wall unit about 11 ft from the seating area. I have 2 B&W 601's in front and 2 more in the rear, with a B&W LCR600 center. Currently my sub (Sound Dynamics THS-10) is on the front wall, but i will need to move it with the new wall unit. I will be moving it (the new SVS) to the corner between the couch and loveseat. My biggest problem is size. Ideally I would like to put a PB12-NSD in that spot, but the wife freaked when I showed her the size. My only other 2 choices are a 25-31pci+ or SB12+ (which she is in favor of). Both are about the same price. She is not really happy about the cyllinder. Do you think the SB12+ will work in this size room? Receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX54-TX (110x7). BTW, this is used for 100% HT and gaming. Thanks for your input.

please excuse my ignorance
post #383 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

I say just do like I did, and just buy it and deal with her complaining. It's too heavy for her to move, so it will just stay there :-)

That is a pretty good sized room, with your viewing area a good distance from your front soundstage. The SB12+ is a great sub from what I hear, and being that your putting it right under your couch, it will have good impact with movies. But being so far from your mains and not being a powerful as the PB12, I would be concerned about it blending in with music.

I would email SVS, and see what they say.
post #384 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think you're ok with the SB12+ nearfield in your room. Set the room filter to large and you should be fine. If you haven't heard an SVS ported sub, then you won't miss the added LF package. If you just gotta have it...screw WAF and go for it.

I've heard sealed subs and auditioned one high end servo sub...if the SB12+, and I believe it is, is as good, you won't be disappointed at all. What you lose in extention and output is given back in clarity. With SVS that's probably not much.

Enjoy

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #385 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I thnk I would go for the SB12Plus - it's made for placement situations just like yours. I'm not sure what the difference in max output is between the PB12-NSD and the SB12Plus - you might email SVS and ask 'em. I don't know of another small sub that's a better value for that price - maybe someone else will chime in.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #386 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

>screw WAF and go for it.

You better get one that's front ported- it may be the only thing you're pluggin' for a while...
post #387 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand this WAF thing. My wife and I don't feel that compromise works. And we have been married for 25 years. Compromise only seems to work if it goes her way. We have found it is better to set boundaries. She gets the furniture, drapes, nicknacks... I get the AV gear, other electronics, computers, and cars. Works for us.

Wives buy all kinds of furniture that husbands couldn't care less about. Large dinning rooms tables, china hutches, side boards, end tables, sofa tables, entertainment centers, armoires... Many are much larger than even the largest SVS subs (even larger than Craig's BLT) and serve less useful purposes. Most just collect dust. But we don't mind. But when we want something with some size to it, 'IT'S TOO BIG' (whinny tone).

So, just get the PB12 and show her how to decorate it to minimize its appearance. Put a doily and an artificial flower arrangement on top of it.

Randy
post #388 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

>screw WAF and go for it.

You better get one that's front ported- it may be the only thing you're pluggin' for a while...

LMAO.

I have to admit, there has been a balance. She actually just let me drop $2,500 on new speakers/sub when I have a pretty decent set up now. We have a 6 month old that is getting rapidly mobile. Mobile baby + current Infinity floorstanders = trouble. So we are having a custom wall unit built and she "let me" buy new speakers, so if I have to "settle" for the "small" SB12+, then ......sigh...... I guess I have no choice. Guess I could always get another "small" SB12+ down the road if I needed it.

please excuse my ignorance
post #389 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 06:47 PM

Matt,

Your perception of the advice SVS gave you is certainly contradictory to their reputation, and my personal experience. SVS talked me *down* from the original sub I wanted to buy from them. In the end I bought even more sub - you can't have too much headroom. It may not have seemed that way, but Erik was only offering honest advice. Anyone who tells you that that a single driver subwoofer from either SVS or Hsu will hit reference levels (assuming some reasonable limit of distortion) in a 6,000 cubic foot space is "trying to sell you something".

That said, you have a good subwoofer there, and I do hope that someone in your area will be willing to drag a dual driver SVS model to your house. When you hear some of the more demanding scenes played back with headroom, it is something special.

-Robb
post #390 of 17393 Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post

Matt,

Your perception of the advice SVS gave you is certainly contradictory to their reputation, and my personal experience. SVS talked me *down* from the original sub I wanted to buy from them. In the end I bought even more sub - you can't have too much headroom. It may not have seemed that way, but Erik was only offering honest advice. Anyone who tells you that that a single driver subwoofer from either SVS or Hsu will hit reference levels (assuming some reasonable limit of distortion) in a 6,000 cubic foot space is "trying to sell you something".

That said, you have a good subwoofer there, and I do hope that someone in your area will be willing to drag a dual driver SVS model to your house. When you hear some of the more demanding scenes played back with headroom, it is something special.

-Robb

-Ok I get it SVS is great and Erik offers great customer service. I guess I got him on a bad day then. Whatever. I was just providing background as to why I did not purchase SVS. I asked Erik if I could just try one and he was insistent that it would not be enough. Also the listening space 3000 cubic feet which spills to an additional 3000 cubic feet. I tried to explain the space, but I felt he did not listen. Whereas at another vendor the wanted me to send them the room dimensions, tell them wall composition, and location of the theater seating. I just went where I got the best customer service.

But everyone here get so defensive I mean come 'on some guy told me to shove a sub up my ass. What the hell? Even one person agreed I was treated unfairly and also agreed that 2 subs would be overkill.

I am just going buy some SVS and have listen.

**** I even apologized and look what kind of crap I get

So back off!

-Matt
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Speaker Systems , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page