post #541 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Samson S1000. It comes with the Sub. I'll sell my Velodyne DPS 12 to finance some of the cost. So 16-46 is the one to get, no question?

You get lower tuning but you also give up 2-3db of output. I myself prefer the 20-39s.

-Eli

AV Nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post

You get lower tuning but you also give up 2-3db of output. I myself prefer the 20-39s.

-Eli

That's the thing. I can't decide....

My system is 70% movies/tv and 30% music. My musical preference is electronic and trance.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #543 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

20-39 is my vote.....

I just got a pb-12nsd and they said it is the same thing........if it is.......trust me you don't need LOWER than this!!!!!

so you know.....we should pick a place to post....cause I also posted in your other thread.....

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #544 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You don't lose SPL if you keep the 16-46 in it's native 16Hz tune. You just get 4Hz lower tuning. If you do put it in the 12Hz tune, you do lose some gain. In your room, I don't think you will need the extra headroom. The 20-39 will be low enough in almost all cases, but for the few instances where source really hits the lower frequencies, the 16-46 will be able to chart those depths. But either one is a good choice.

Randy
post #545 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I really think with his room size that the 20-39 is going to hit as low as 17hz

How much content is there that is actually that low? .001% LOL

Like Ransac said.......either one is going to blow you out of the water when you are watching a movie. You cannot go wrong, so just pick one and be happy and don't second guess yourself!

Good luck!!

post #546 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Samson S1000. It comes with the Sub. I'll sell my Velodyne DPS 12 to finance some of the cost. So 16-46 is the one to get, no question?

Am I missing something? Unless SonciBoom has a package, I don't see where the Sampson Amp comes with the sub. Can you explain where you got that idea?

Randy
post #547 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Am I missing something? Unless SonciBoom has a package, I don't see where the Sampson Amp comes with the sub. Can you explain where you got that idea?

It's a local sale.

post #548 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

I think you are making a very wise choice with that Bash amp. LIke you said, a little project down the road making a box for the amp is a simple fix to have a GREAT amp match. SVS uses Bash amps in all their subs, so it makes sense to get the BASH if you can.

Good luck!

Sounds like another vote for the BASH...
post #549 of 18344 Old 11-20-2006, 08:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Here's a link to the Rhythmic plate amps...

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/nonservo_product.htm

Now I'm really confused. This looks very good, but is it better or much better than the BASH? Also, are there cheaper MOSFET amps in the market? or maybe I should stop and just buy something already!

BASH or Rhythmic... *sigh*
post #550 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by salehdidit View Post

Now I'm really confused. This looks very good, but is it better or much better than the BASH? Also, are there cheaper MOSFET amps in the market? or maybe I should stop and just buy something already!

BASH or Rhythmic... *sigh*

I'd contact both Rhytmic and PE and ask if the amps have a selectable high pass filter. I'm pretty sure the Rhythmic does. This protects the driver from over excursion. The Bash amps SVS uses have this feature built in.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #551 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 AM

The note below was sent to SVS this morning, thanking them for helping me with my PB12+ issue that was discussed here a week or so ago (I can't seem to find the original thread anymore?).

I had a good laugh when unpacking my new PB12/2 as I had previously thought the PB12+ was big. This thing is huge!

I want to publicly thank Ron, Tom, and Erik for their excellent support.
--------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys,

The PB12/2 arrived yesterday. Firstly, it is finished absoutely stunningly. Any expensive furniture maker would be proud of that finish.

HOLY CRAP DOES THAT THING PUT OUT SOME BASS.

I turned off the existing PB12+ while installing the new /2. As directed, I calibrated it inline with the SPLs from my other speakers, while starting with the gain on the sub between 1/3 and 1/2 way. I used the 20Hz tune for initial setup.

Started out by immediately playing the scenes that was stressing out the PB12+ and grinned from ear to ear - no problems at all. BUT THE BASS! The room is more full of sound, and I have a harder time hearing where the sound originates - a good thing.

So then I turned the other sub back on and recalibrated with both on - this required dropping the input signal by almost 8db on the receiver. Then I started playback again, SWEET! But that smaller sub still has the same trouble during those lowest of low scenes. This makes me think there might actually be something wrong with that sub.

I then moved to other material - music, etc... and had a superb time playing with my new toys. No troubles at all with the older sub until I play those few movie scenes previously identified, so I stuck to music and was in blissful low frequency heaven. I found a bunch of new room problems, now the drywall itself is making noise. Seeing as how there was so much effortless bass being produced, I figured I'd move the subs both to the 16Hz tune, and that was achieved with apparently zero loss of higher end in my room and at my sound levels.

I'm going to send that PB12+ back to have it checked out, but I'm wondering if you'll take it as an exchange on a 2nd PB12/2? (really)

Thanks again for your great support. This PB12/2 is frankly, unbelievable. The two together achieved some SPLs that I found a little disturbing when I was really working them out. I could swear that I heard them laugh at me when I wondered if they could go louder.

Mike
post #552 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

You don't lose SPL if you keep the 16-46 in it's native 16Hz tune. You just get 4Hz lower tuning. If you do put it in the 12Hz tune, you do lose some gain. In your room, I don't think you will need the extra headroom. The 20-39 will be low enough in almost all cases, but for the few instances where source really hits the lower frequencies, the 16-46 will be able to chart those depths. But either one is a good choice.

I second all of that.

I have a 16-46 in a medium sized 2400 cu. ft. room, and it has more than enough headroom for me. I originally was bound and determined to use the 12Hz tune, but discovered to my surprise that I liked the native 16Hz tune better. (So much for preconceived notions!)

The guys at SVS seemed to lean toward the 20-39, but I'm happy I went with the 16-46. It just makes me feel good to know it will go as deep as I'll ever want. I've never tested lower frequencies, so I don't know it's lower limit, but it doesn't drop off a bit at 15Hz in my room. No doubt there is usable output at 10Hz (not that there is much to reproduce down there).

But, as ransac said, you won't go wrong with either.
post #553 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salehdidit View Post

... or maybe I should stop and just buy something already!

Get's my vote!

Seriously, they are both excellent. You won't be disappointed with either.
post #554 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

I second all of that.

I have a 16-46 in a medium sized 2400 cu. ft. room, and it has more than enough headroom for me. I originally was bound and determined to use the 12Hz tune, but discovered to my surprise that I liked the native 16Hz tune better. (So much for preconceived notions!)

The guys at SVS seemed to lean toward the 20-39, but I'm happy I went with the 16-46. It just makes me feel good to know it will go as deep as I'll ever want. I've never tested lower frequencies, so I don't know it's lower limit, but it doesn't drop off a bit at 15Hz in my room. No doubt there is usable output at 10Hz (not that there is much to reproduce down there).

But, as ransac said, you won't go wrong with either.

I read somewhere on Audioholics that both SVS owners and SVS themselves favor the 20-39 since the 16-46 loses "mid bass" or something. Damn, I can't make up my mind!!! Back and forth......

My setup will not be cranked to reference levels or anything. I usually watch everthing around -10. I just want cleaner, deeper, louder bass than what my Velo DPS12 does.

post #555 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read somewhere on Audioholics that both SVS owners and SVS themselves favor the 20-39 since the 16-46 loses "mid bass" or something. Damn, I can't make up my mind!!! Back and forth......

My setup will not be cranked to reference levels or anything. I usually watch everthing around -10. I just want cleaner, deeper, louder bass than what my Velo DPS12 does.

Best thing to do now is to contact SVS sales and ask them for a recommendation based on your room, your listening preferences, and what you want to accomplish in depth and overall volume. You can find the email address on their web site.

Randy
post #556 of 18344 Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Randy is right.

Erik knows his stuff. He helped me out. They are a company that prides themselves on getting it right! They will only sell you what they truly believe is 100% the best fit for your room and budget!

(I bet they say 20-39 though!) lol

post #557 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I totally agree with the two preceding posts. Contact SVS and give them all the pertinent facts. They'll give you good advice as they want you to be satisfied.

And I'd bet on the 20-39 recommendation,too, because that's where Ron steered me. The primary reason, as you mentioned, is increased headroom "where most bass is."

I mentioned my satisfaction with the 16-46 only to point out that it has plenty of headroom for me (and many others). But the biggest motivation for me to upgrade in the first place was to get the deepest bass response possible, so, in my head, I "needed" the 16-46 and would have always wondered whether I was missing something without it. Rightly or wrongly, I couldn't be talked out of it.

"Normal" people don't have that problem , as I'd bet the 20-39 outsells it's larger teammate by a substantial margin.
post #558 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree the 20-39 is more popular, not because of headroom, but because of the height of the 16-46. If it was maybe a 16-42 it might be more widely accepted.

Randy
post #559 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

No doubt the height is a factor for some, but Ron still seemed to favor the 20-39 even when I let him know that it would not have mattered to me if the larger version was 60" tall.
post #560 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

20hz tune still gets you down to 16hz usable in most rooms and the midbass dynamics are a bit livlier. The 20-39 is a bit louder, just as the 25-31 is louder still. The 20-39 is more popular because it's the best of both worlds, but if you really want to troll the bottom the 16-46 is it.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #561 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I'll go with the 20-39. Thanks guys. I must say I'm really pleased with the responses. It's not often you ask a question and get quality answers and suggestions like this.

post #562 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 01:13 PM

Hi,

My Audiosource SW15 seems like it just died so now I've started shopping for some new hardware.

I have Infinity Kappa 8's as mains. I used the SW15 for movies and music. With regards to music, the Kappa 8's don't really carry bass that well beyond the main listening area. It may be a result of the open ended listening area in conjunction with the wood floors. The room size is 19x13 with one end of the room being open to a hallway and entryway.

I know one of the first questions will be what do you want to spend but I'd rather know what it takes get the same bass levels as the SW15 albeit cleaner and tighter.

Any pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger
post #563 of 18344 Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzgte View Post

Hi,

My Audiosource SW15 seems like it just died so now I've started shopping for some new hardware.

I have Infinity Kappa 8's as mains. I used the SW15 for movies and music. With regards to music, the Kappa 8's don't really carry bass that well beyond the main listening area. It may be a result of the open ended listening area in conjunction with the wood floors. The room size is 19x13 with one end of the room being open to a hallway and entryway.

I know one of the first questions will be what do you want to spend but I'd rather know what it takes get the same bass levels as the SW15 albeit cleaner and tighter.

Any pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

Sounds like you have a similar listening area to me. See the first post in this thread. I've been very happy with my PB Plus/2.

Strong men also cry.
post #564 of 18344 Old 11-23-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

20hz tune still gets you down to 16hz usable in most rooms and the midbass dynamics are a bit livlier. The 20-39 is a bit louder, just as the 25-31 is louder still. The 20-39 is more popular because it's the best of both worlds, but if you really want to troll the bottom the 16-46 is it.

Thanks Ron. The reason I was so conflicted was because I will be moving soon to my new house and I really have no idea where I'm going to have my theater room. Probably an upstairs bedroom.

Since the 20-39 CS+ is passive, and I'll be running it with a Samson S1000 amp (500w x2), any recommendations regarding setup? I've never used a passive sub before and really have no idea what to expect. As you know, finding a used SVS up here in Canada is pretty difficult.

post #565 of 18344 Old 11-23-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sampson will be fine, bridged it will be awesome. 500wpc is plenty for the Plus. Placement is totally room dependent. I have mine in a corner with decent results. A ton of room gain that allows me to fill a space that's really too large for the sub without compression or stress and while I have a couple of +/- 5 freqs, most are within +/- 2db from 16-90hz. Download some test tones, calibrate and play around with placement and phase to get the flattest response you can at the LP. You're going to love the sub.

post #566 of 18344 Old 11-23-2006, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'll go with the 20-39. Thanks guys. I must say I'm really pleased with the responses. It's not often you ask a question and get quality answers and suggestions like this.

Where are you ordering your SVS sub from? I ask this just out of curiosity as I don't find the entire SVS line up shown on the SonicBoom web site and Canadians are asking about SVS subs quite frequently. Do you have to call them to get info/pricing on the rest of the SVS products? Or am I missing some links on the web site? Or are you buying used?

Randy
post #567 of 18344 Old 11-23-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It is used.

post #568 of 18344 Old 11-24-2006, 03:04 PM

Hey! I've just spent the last 3 hours reading all these posts, trying to learn as much as I can.....so far I've succeeded in giving myself a headache! LOL! I'm looking for some setup advice.
I'm VERY new to this. I have a 25-31PCi on the way that will be used in a 23x19x7 room. I know this may not be a big enough boom for some of you "hardcores" out there but I have space and $$ issues. LOL! After a LOT of research and posts on another site, this seemed like the best bang for the buck.
I recently purchased a set of Athena F-2's for mains with their C-1 center. All this is running off an H/K AVR 330 in 5.1 config. I have yet to purchase an SPL meter (the H/K has EZ-set) but will be getting one this week, as it appears I'll need it to set up the sub. My old sub is an 8" from a previous HTIB. I've already ordered a new line for it from Blue Jeans Cable and some new 12ga speaker wire to replace the 16 ga. junk left over from the HTIB.
My question is where to set the crossovers? The Athena F-2's are tuned to 35Hz-20KHz at +/-3dbl and the C-1 to 60Hz.
The H/K allows me several differnt options (almost too many for someone as big a n00b as me! LOL!) I can go with "Large"/"Small" settings or set actual crossovers for each channel individually (40Hz-200Khz, I think). As far as bass management, I can choose "Global" or "Independent" (not sure of the difference) with settings for "LFE" and "LFE, LF+RF"
From what I've put up here, does it seem like I've managed to avoid most of the n00b mistakes? Hope so!
What is a good starting point for set-up (i.e. crossover, bass management)? Appreciate any help (and yes, I've already crawled around on the floor using the Athena's bass to find the best placement....of course...the sweet spot can't be used! LOL! But the #2 choice looks good..also with the #2 choice I have the option of corner loading or not)

Appreciate any input!
post #570 of 18344 Old 11-27-2006, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I'm in a dillemma! I want to buy a sub that I'm going to be using for quite some time. I don't mind spending a little money. As I mentioned before, I found a 20-39 CS+ passive with an added amp included with the sub. However, I'm wondering if a powered sub would be a better choice for me. I like the fact that my current powered sub automatically shuts off if there's not signal from the receiver. Plus, the connections are so much simpler. I have ZERO experience with passive.

Now that there's Sonicboom in Canada carrying SVS, I'm having second thoughts about buying a passive sub and just going with a 20-39 PC+. The price difference is still a couple hundred dollars.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page