Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 245 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i like to get all my cables from bluejeanscable.com

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM

I've been buying ALL my cables from monoprice for years. Never an issue and shipping to Canada has been fantastic.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by -RONIN- View Post

I've been buying ALL my cables from monoprice for years. Never an issue and shipping to Canada has been fantastic.

nothing wrong with monoprice either.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi thanks folks

I must admit i was getting temped to get an expensive cable as i use the AV for stereo duty as well and a lot of reviews suggest you get better intergration of bass in music with more expensive cables.

Thanks everyone who replied
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan0210 View Post

I must admit i was getting temped to get an expensive cable as i use the AV for stereo duty as well and a lot of reviews suggest you get better intergration of bass in music with more expensive cables.

A lot of hogwash out there unfortunately. While you probably don't just want to use some raggedy 20 year old RCA cable you had lying in your attic, you don't need a $3000 cable to help "integrate bass" either. Proper placement and Audyssey on your AVR will go a long ways towards well integrated bass.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 AM

Hi

I have the Chord CrimsonPlus now so i guess that will do.

I had thought about the QED Reference or Signature cable it seemed mean such a pricey sub and relative low priced sub cable.

Thanks

Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

A lot of hogwash out there unfortunately. While you probably don't just want to use some raggedy 20 year old RCA cable you had lying in your attic, you don't need a $3000 cable to help "integrate bass" either. Proper placement and Audyssey on your AVR will go a long ways towards well integrated bass.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan0210 View Post

Hi thanks folks

Thanks everyone who replied

Why not use the SVS cable they sell on their website? It is not super expensive and it helps out a company we all know and love!

Mathematics is the reason for the season.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I have no problem with helping SVS. I love the AS-EQ1. But subs do not benefit from expensive cables, according to most discussions I have seen.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klips View Post

I may very well be sleeping with the dog for months, but I just ordered the PB13-Ultra.

I just had to share this news with someone who understands as I know that I'm not going to get any support from home.

I'm thinking that I should tell her after we spend some quality time together! ;-)

As you might guess; now that I have ordered the beast of subwoofers, I'm wondering if my speakers will be good enough to do it justice.

I may need to upgrade them next.

I surely must have a death wish... as I am sure my current WAF is very, very low at the moment.

It is most likely much lower then any of the presidental candidate polls. I might need secret service assigned to protect me from the WAF fallout!

So, what might I want to start looking at?
GunmetalR56 likes this.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I am thinking about upgrading Has any SVS owner here ever owned a Def Tech SC1 and can you compare them?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I am thinking about upgrading Has any SVS owner here ever owned a Def Tech SC1 and can you compare them?

I went from a PF15TL+ to the PB-13 Ultra with the Bash amp. Not a fair comparison at all. I thought the DT did rather well but once integrating the Ultra, wow, what an improvement. Plays a lot deeper, is far more musical, and has significantly more slam on movies. One of the best purchases I've made in HT.

Norm
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi

I am in the UK i contacted SVS re a cable but it is not worth it for them or me as shipping is only a goer when you buy the sub as well

Good idea though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Why not use the SVS cable they sell on their website? It is not super expensive and it helps out a company we all know and love!

Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm wondering if my speakers will be good enough to do it justice.

What do you own now? I'd think with PB13U, and assuming you wanted to stay with Klipsch (I assume given your user name), an RF-7 system or something from the Heritage line would make a very impressive system.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

What do you own now? I'd think with PB13U, and assuming you wanted to stay with Klipsch (I assume given your user name), an RF-7 system or something from the Heritage line would make a very impressive system.

I just ordered the PC13U. I don't have it yet. As to what I have... It would be the Klipsch KG 5.5 for the fronts, the KV3 for center, and the KG 1.5 for the rears. I've had these for years now. I'm driving the speakers with a Pioneer SC-55.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As to what I have... It would be the Klipsch KG 5.5 for the fronts, the KV3 for center, and the KG 1.5 for the rears. I've had these for years now. I'm driving the speakers with a Pioneer SC-55.

Obviously your system isn't the last word in sound reproduction, but I bet it sounds pretty good all the same. Is there something you feel your setup lacks, or something that interests you? I stand by my choices of the RF-7 and Heritage line as good places to start auditioning. I'd add the THX line to that list too.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy542 View Post

Then the first thing I thought was that the wife is going to flip!

Well she didn't flip, but was def somewhat angry. I assured her it was the exact dimensions that I measured out to show her before I got it, an that once it was in its place she wouldn't think it was that bad. So she went off to work.

Yeah, I told my wife the dimensions of the PB12 Plus before I ordered it and she was ok with it, until she actually saw it. Good thing 2' by a bit less than 2' by a bit less than 2' just doesn't sound that large until you actually see the thing.

The WAF was helped though by the fact she was feeling guilty from ruining her laptop by spilling coffee on it a couple of days before

Enjoy this monster of a sub!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 278
beezar.....one must take advantage of such mishaps.

Might not be a bad idea to have a want list on hand for such opportunities.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 PM

I got a comfirmation that my PB13U has shipped, but no mention of a tracking number. Does freight shipping even have a tracking system? I'll need to figure out how to be home when the delivery comes.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

I got a comfirmation that my PB13U has shipped, but no mention of a tracking number. Does freight shipping even have a tracking system? I'll need to figure out how to be home when the delivery comes.

The shipping company will contact you about setting up a delivery when the package reaches your local hub. They will tell you to pick a morning or afternoon time when you or someone will be home to sign for the package, because they will not just deliver it and leave it on your door.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy542 View Post

The shipping company will contact you about setting up a delivery when the package reaches your local hub. They will tell you to pick a morning or afternoon time when you or someone will be home to sign for the package, because they will not just deliver it and leave it on your door.

thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 04:01 PM

No problem, it's still fresh in my mind because I just went through the process last week. I hope it gets to you quickly as I know waiting for something that's this good is torture.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Hi Guys,
Attached is a drawing of my living room where I have my HT setup. I'm not sure if I should go ahead with PB12-NSD or PB12-PLUS as I live in an apt and won't be able to play the audio at max level. Viewing time....80% movies, 20% music.
Would PB12-NSD be more than enough?
Is PB12-PLUS an overkill? Is it worth twice the cost of PB12-NSD?
Would appreciate if you guys would help me make a decision.
Thanks!

20120305135525339 (1).pdf 31.5322265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20120305135525339 (1).pdf (31.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Where are the SVS subs made? Are any of them made in the US? A friend of mine asked and I didn't know the answer. I'm trying to get him interested in the PB12-NSD.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Where are the SVS subs made? Are any of them made in the US? A friend of mine asked and I didn't know the answer. I'm trying to get him interested in the PB12-NSD.

Assembly of subwoofers is done in China.They have a facility in Ohio, USA, where the subs are put through final QC inspection by SVS personnel before shipping.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Tonight I managed to take a first measurement of my listening room's frequency response. It's definitely not my last word as I'm still learning the ropes and I'm not done reading the instructions But both my soundcard and SPL meters were calibrated, and I tried a few variations and the measurements were pretty much the same.

So... looks to me that I will benefit from the BFD I just bought. I hope it will be able to flatten out the 20-70 Hz region. (By the way, this was with an SB12-NSD playing at 75 dB, so I guess I have plenty of room gain considering I have only 10 dB drop from a 80 dB peak at 15 Hz). However it seems to me that the double-null at 90 and 100 Hz are really horrendous. Not sure what causes those; I'll have to use test tones to try to see what's rattling. Anyway that is a *huge* dip in at frequencies that are very sollicited it seems.
LL

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

As you might guess; now that I have ordered the beast of subwoofers, I'm wondering if my speakers will be good enough to do it justice.

I may need to upgrade them next.

I surely must have a death wish... as I am sure my current WAF is very, very low at the moment.

It is most likely much lower then any of the presidental candidate polls. I might need secret service assigned to protect me from the WAF fallout!

Nothing better than a good subwoofer to upgrade your HT experience. Good luck with the new baby.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 03-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksparrow1020 View Post

Assembly of subwoofers is done in China.They have a facility in Ohio, USA, where the subs are put through final QC inspection by SVS personnel before shipping.

I know at one time the cylinders were assembled here. Going to the "wayback machine" in 2011:

Quote:

The newest PC12-NSD, built in Ohio with premium parts from around the world, includes the incredible DSP controlled STA-400D Sledge™ amp, with nearly 100 watts more power than its predecessor.

Quote:

Built in our Ohio USA factory find out more about the new PC12-Plus with STA-800D amp here!

Quote:

Only 16" in diameter, it takes up less space than a potted plant. Yet, the PC13-Ultra is easilly compared to famous brands costing far far more.

Only SVS has the 13" Ultra woofer, arguably among the finest used in home audio. Our highest USA content sub, hand-built in Ohio!

Don't know if that's changed since.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,
Attached is a drawing of my living room where I have my HT setup. I'm not sure if I should go ahead with PB12-NSD or PB12-PLUS as I live in an apt and won't be able to play the audio at max level. Viewing time....80% movies, 20% music.
Thanks!

For an apartment, I'd think the PB12-NSD would be more than adequate. I've got a similar sized room (~2500 cubic feet) and feel my PC12-NSD has sufficient output for that space. Of course, when I get it going, my wife can also readily hear the system playing from 2 floors up, so be careful with the volume.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Hi Guys,
Thanks!

I have a similar setup and the PC12-NSD (cylinder) offers plenty of LFE. There is enough to feel it when played at louder levels.

My living room is 12x15 and opens on one side to another 850 sq ft.

Mike

Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,
Thanks!

That is close to the size and layout of my listening area. I recently bought a PB12-NSD. I wish it had a cpl more dB's above 25Hz, but I listen real loud.
IMO, you should get the PB12 since you said you wont be pushing it that loud. The PB12+ would give you more headroom to go real loud on occassion though(~5dB more) and it would offer a little more tactile feel below 20Hz.

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000