post #721 of 18042 Old 12-20-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Hi guys,
I tried my sub in the 16 hz mode. I love the sound from deep bass but I was missing too much of the impact bass(the kind that smacks you in the face). I am now running it in the 20 Hz mode. I run my sub hot because I love to feel the bass. Really hot. The sub can handle this easily since my room is only 2300 cubic feet. I hit 120 db's at this position and that was my goal. Anything higher than that will blurr my vision. I could go higher but don't need to.

I found the same results when I tried my PB Plus/2 in 16hz mode. Similar size listening area. I have a question regarding measuring output. Do you set your sound level meter on slow or fast response for measurements during movie passages? C-weighted? I know for calibration it's supposed to be set to slow.

I run my mains at 75 db, and my sub at 80 db. That is using the test tones on my Denon. Although, the LFE tone seems to vary within a 5 db range, so I calibrated so the lowest measurement I get is 80 db. Seems to work, I'm very happy with the sound. I've never tried measuring levels of movie passages though. I'd like to try it.

For those who might be considering the Plus/2 and are wondering about headroom, I have a 2000 cf listening space with some large openings to other areas of the house. My gain on the SVS is at 1/4, and my LFE pre-out on the Denon is on -5.0 db. At moderate listening levels, I get a lot of kitchen appliance reaction, mostly the toaster oven.

Strong men also cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 18042 Old 12-20-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Bgillyjcu said on the previous page:

---------------------

Sound and Vision wrote this and I'm really confused...

Although the crossover is marked 120 Hz at the top of the dial, the system half power point (-3 dB) is 78 Hz. At the lower end of the dial, measured response extends from 25 to 60 Hz when the 80-Hz position is selected and 22 to 52 Hz when 40 Hz is selected. Interestingly, overall level is increased by 6 dB at the 80-Hz position, but there is no overall level change when 40 Hz is selected. As with nearly every subwoofer I've tested, adjustments to the crossover control will require rebalancing the subwoofer level as well.

Can someone better explain what they are refering to with the crossover?

Right now I have the crossover DISABLED on my PB-12 and I'm using my Pioneer 1014's 80HZ crossover setting. Am I doing the right thing there?

-----------------------

Bgillyjcu, these comments only apply to those using the sub's x-o -- very few of us. Almost all buyers will be using a dedicated sub out on a receiver or prepro and will be using the x-o in their electronics, with the sub x-o set to 'disabled'.

It is good that reviewers test the various controls on sub plate amps, as these are often not labled correctly or do not perform as one would expect. As more and more aspects of sub performance become dependent on the plate amp electronics, it is important to make sure quality does not slip in this area.
post #723 of 18042 Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

After a couple months of listening, I ended up having to back my LFE pre-out on my Denon from -3.0 db to -5.0 db. I run my sub 5 db hot, but according to my sound level meter, it had gotten louder without any adjustment. At -5.0 db, it was the same level that it was at -3.0 db upon initial set-up.

I've heard a lot of yes/no theories on burn-in, but this would seem to indicate that it does happen.

Strong men also cry.
post #724 of 18042 Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYHTGUY View Post

New SVS PB12-Plus just arrived DOA?!??

Unpacked my new Denon AVR and my new SVS Sub yesterday. Sub doesn't seem to work. Thought I'd ask here - just in case I've missed something simple.

Unit has power (the power light is on). I get no signal from the test tones from the AVR. I hooked up my current Klipsch KSW-10 and DID get a signal during test tone from the AVR, so the receiver is sending signal.

The toggle switch for Crossover (enable/disable) does not "toggle". It is in the middle and won't go up or down. If I push in slightly, it will then toggle up, but won't stay there. I'm assuming this is the problem.

I don't know what's going on with email, but I've tried to email customer support and I keep getting a message that my email is being delayed and then undelivered. I'll call tomorrow during business hours, but - again - thought I'd give this a shot first.

Do they send service agents out or do I have to pack it up and send it back to get a repair done?

Thanks!

Got my replacement amp today and my college-age son installed it for me (I'm traveling on business). Seems to be working fine. I can't wait to get home Friday to hear it!

I understand about setting the crossover frequency. I'm not confident on the Phase. Can you give me some understanding of that setting?

Thanks - Dennis
post #725 of 18042 Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 PM

Ordered the PB10 NSD today.. really wanted the PB12 Nsd but budget and wife .. Exctually it was a gift from my parents thanks but I am sure it will still work great in my room.. I am adding new speakers so this will just add to my glee. PS my speakers are going to be the Paragdam Milliena 200's and 20's..

Any sub cables you guys recomened .. I was going to order speaker wire from blue jeans I think.. but might just get monster at bb have a credit there..
post #726 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Ordered the PB10 NSD today.. really wanted the PB12 Nsd but budget and wife .. Exctually it was a gift from my parents thanks but I am sure it will still work great in my room.. I am adding new speakers so this will just add to my glee. PS my speakers are going to be the Paragdam Milliena 200's and 20's..

Any sub cables you guys recomened .. I was going to order speaker wire from blue jeans I think.. but might just get monster at bb have a credit there..

Just get some decent cables with a well-known rep, don't go crazy. I chose Blue Jeans, quality product, good price.

Strong men also cry.
post #727 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Monoprice makes good cables.

I did buy a monster bass 400 for my sub (well got it 60% off from a friend who works at CC) and I have to tell you I noticed that the bass "improved" by my standards.

My standards = deeper, louder, cleaner..etc

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #728 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I set all my speakers to 75 db's, usually I set the bass to 80. My processor usually is set at -10 for that to happen. This time I set my processor to 0db's and then ran a spl check and the sub was at 95 db's(wow). Did I back off, no I watched a scene at reference levels and was blown away(literally). I have not measured this yet but I am sure I am over 120 db's. I run the spl meter on c weighted and fast for the peaks. I don't think that I can bottom my sub in my room. Not unless I want to damage my hearing with the highs. BTY I don't want to bottom my sub. I also think this sub is not boomy or slow either, I have owned a M&K mx-5000 and that is one of the fastest subs(detailed) out and the svs is close, just a tad slower with much, much more power.
post #729 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Gotta a question...
Has anyone experimented with a PC on its side? Also has anyone that has done that, made a cradle like holder to keep it there? I was thinking that would be the perfect fix for me, a cylinder on its side would fit very well under the screen and be cheaper to ship and more placement options (both the vertical and horiz).

thanks, and if there is any good info on this could you supply some links?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #730 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
It has been done and there are some pics somewhere. I'm sure someone will be able to link them.

Randy
post #731 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post

Gotta a question...
Has anyone experimented with a PC on its side? Also has anyone that has done that, made a cradle like holder to keep it there? I was thinking that would be the perfect fix for me, a cylinder on its side would fit very well under the screen and be cheaper to ship and more placement options (both the vertical and horiz).

thanks, and if there is any good info on this could you supply some links?

My boy Mag runs his like that, here's what he said on S&V forum about it:

The subs are on their side strictly to keep them out of the way of the screen and main speakers, which of course have rear firing drivers.

I badly wanted to keep a stereo sub setup and this has worked out quite well with them being tucked under the screen yet next to the mains to form one large full range speaker.

I have not noticed really any change to them being on their side as opposed to right side up. The base plates are still attached as well. They are raised off the floor about an inch by using the packing foam "cradles" they came shipped in.

I was going to make something to hold them steady and the answer was sitting there right in the boxes. Glad I saved them...

Here are some pics:

post #732 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 09:26 PM

any body got a picture of a PB10 nsd in ther house so I can judge scale
post #733 of 18042 Old 12-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks rock, that looks great to me. thinking a 20-39 pci on its side might work great!!

post #734 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My SVS SB12+ arrived yesterday (thanks Eric) and is sitting (still boxed) near the Christmas tree with a big bow on it

I want to buy cable tonight or tomorrow morning..... need about 12ft run.

Q: what is the best cable/price reccomendation and should I run to Radio Shack to get me some cheapo rca-rca cable to tie me over if I have to order online?

thanks in advance
post #735 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Shack has a variety of inexpensive sub cables and they work fine. Get that thing hooked up!
post #736 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Merry Christmas!

post #737 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

If you click my signature below that say's "My humble HT" I have some scale photos of the PB-10
post #738 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Shack has a variety of inexpensive sub cables and they work fine. Get that thing hooked up!

I am, I am !!!!
post #739 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Gman, I also find that the AR branded sub cable sold at BestBuy is an excellent buy(great price) if you need one quick...like right now.

post #740 of 18042 Old 12-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Thanks Guys for the pics....
post #741 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 06:18 AM

Hey guys,
Just wanted to say that My PB12-plus/2 arrived yesterday. All I can say is WOW.
Although I havent been able to take it out of the box yet because its a Christmas gift from the wife, I can see that this is one big sub!!

Anyway I cant wait to hook it up and see what it sounds like. My theater is only 240 square feet so Im guessing it will sound pretty good.

Let me know if any of you guys think I over did it:-)
post #742 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 07:01 AM

How did that sound, putting the subs on the their sides?

I finally got a chance last night to test my 20-39pc+. Put in Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Cars, Nemo, and tonssss of music. I had a buddy come over to hear this thing too.
Best quotes of the night... "Wow, so thats what the song is supposed to sound like" and "Thanks, now i cant listen to music at my house because it will just disappoint me and make me want to buy one too."

post #743 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimal_650 View Post

Hey guys,
Although I havent been able to take it out of the box yet because its a Christmas gift from the wife, I can see that this is one big sub!!

Anyway I cant wait to hook it up and see what it sounds like. My theater is only 240 square feet so Im guessing it will sound pretty good.

That is a big sub for a small room. Whether you over did it or not would depend on the rest of your system and how you plan to use it.

Randy
post #744 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Hooked the SB12+ this am to give it a quick whirl..... literally, out of the box, plugged into the AV and power outlet, raised the gain by 1/3 and go...

It is all that I expected, awesome !

Now i need to get my trusty RShack meter and all the AV gear manuals out to properly calibrate it and find the sweet spot in the room as it wasn't all that tight and a bit boomy.
post #745 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

GmanAVS, try using the room comp. and/or PEQ to roll off deep bass to improve tightness -- works for me
post #746 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Hey guys,

I don't think you over did it at all... at first I thought you wrote cubic feet and I laughed my ass off, but if that's square feet assuming a normal 8' ceiling you are at almost 2000 cubic feet which isn't that small of a room, 16' x 15' or so which I'd consider to be a good sized room. I have my PB12-Plus 2 in just about the exact same size room as yours, except mine is open to the dining room and other areas of the house and there are times that I actually crave more bass that the unit is capable of producing.

You did not overdo it =)
post #747 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 04:30 PM

GMan, I have a new SB12+ still sitting in the box. Can't open it until Christmas. I can't wait! It's killing me!!!!!!
post #748 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey guys,

seriously thinking about getting one. The footprint of my room is about the same as yours [15'x16']. I'd be curious to know if it's too much for that size room when you get things hooked up.
post #749 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Hear This View Post

GMan, I have a new SB12+ still sitting in the box. Can't open it until Christmas. I can't wait! It's killing me!!!!!!

my box is still next to the tree with a bow on it... hehe....
post #750 of 18042 Old 12-23-2006, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now Hear This View Post

just wait till everyone has gone to bed, open it and play wotw chap5, then put it back in the box. No one will notice or hear anything blame the noise on Santa being on the roof...

super dirty , super clean , pow
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page