Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 17937 Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my PB12 Plus. They shipped it yesterday and it's here (Maryland) today. Boy, this thing is MASSIVE! I knew the specs but couldn't quite picture how big it was going to be. Anyway, I just hooked it up but haven't tried anything yet. Maybe tomorrow. It's replacing a Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII. Wife hasn't seen it yet. It's in the basement. She didn't even know I bought one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 17937 Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 View Post

Just got my PB12 Plus. They shipped it yesterday and it's here (Maryland) today. Boy, this thing is MASSIVE! I knew the specs but couldn't quite picture how big it was going to be. Anyway, I just hooked it up but haven't tried anything yet. Maybe tomorrow. It's replacing a Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII. Wife hasn't seen it yet. It's in the basement. She didn't even know I bought one.

NICE job... you will love it.. i only have the pb10 nsd but damn that thing is loud..

Tell the wife you just got a new file cabinet
post #813 of 17937 Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

How the hell could you hook it up but not try anything yet?

Are you trying to torture yourself?
post #814 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

How the hell could you hook it up but not try anything yet?

Are you trying to torture yourself?

No time, man, with kids and wife. You know the story. Anyway, I ran the auto setup with my Yamaha RXV 2700 receiver this morning. The receiver set my B & W CDM7 tower speakers as "Large", bass out to both main speakers and the sub, and the crossover at 100HZ. I changed the main speakers to "small". bass out to sub only and the crossover at 80Hz. I haven't played around with sub's parametric equializer yet. Will try to run the sound meter tests next week.

This morning I watched clips of Ice Age Meltdown (1080p Blu Ray), the last battle scene of Saving Private Ryan, and the bombing of Pearl Harbor in the Pearl Harbor movie. The tanks in Saving Ryan really rattled the house. It's a great sub, nice bass and workermanship, I only wish the size could be a bit smaller. My old Sunfire sub is not a bad sub though. Folks at SVS are great.
post #815 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Hey Guys...

i think i'm gonna pull the trigger and buy an SVS sub.

what makes sense the NSD or the Plus? I'm thinking of getting a cylinder and wanted you guys opinion. is there really a difference in the way it sounds? is the plus worth an additional 250 than the NSD?

Also, if i'm not satisfied, would SVS pay for the return shipping?

thanks
post #816 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Pretty standard answer is to email SVS and tell them the size of the space you are filling - not just the viewing room but any adjoining open spaces too. For example, a family room with an opening to a kitchen means you should account for the volume of the family room and the kitchen. Some of this can be mitigated with near-field placement though (i.e. putting the sub near where you sit when watching).

SVS does NOT pay for return shipping.

If you can afford it, I would suggest getting the Plus model.

Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by forhabi View Post

Hey Guys...

i think i'm gonna pull the trigger and buy an SVS sub.

what makes sense the NSD or the Plus? I'm thinking of getting a cylinder and wanted you guys opinion. is there really a difference in the way it sounds? is the plus worth an additional 250 than the NSD?

Also, if i'm not satisfied, would SVS pay for the return shipping?

thanks

post #817 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...edit...

...edit...

Yes, the Plus models are worth the difference: better driver, more power, switchable LF rolloff, variable port tuning. Unless you have some special requirements get a 20-39 Plus -- it's the most versatile model.
post #818 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

No time, man, with kids and wife. You know the story. Anyway, I ran the auto setup with my Yamaha RXV 2700 receiver this morning. The receiver set my B & W CDM7 tower speakers as "Large", bass out to both main speakers and the sub, and the crossover at 100HZ. I changed the main speakers to "small". bass out to sub only and the crossover at 80Hz. I haven't played around with sub's parametric equializer yet. Will try to run the sound meter tests next week.

This morning I watched clips of Ice Age Meltdown (1080p Blu Ray), the last battle scene of Saving Private Ryan, and the bombing of Pearl Harbor in the Pearl Harbor movie. The tanks in Saving Ryan really rattled the house. It's a great sub, nice bass and workermanship, I only wish the size could be a bit smaller. My old Sunfire sub is not a bad sub though. Folks at SVS are great.

Great job on the settings Bimmer... all the reading you did, you went right to work just like I did, and got right to the fun... My favorite, was the bass sweep on the avia disk... I must have run that like 20 times.. and just laughed so freakin hard every time.. My kid couldn't even talk on the phone because of it...

You should have gotten a Plus/2... she wouldn't notice..

Post up some pics bro.. !!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #819 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

i'm excited... i just snagged a 25-31 PC plus from the SVS b-stock list for $725 + shipping.

I hope it meets my expectations and more!!
post #820 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Will do.
post #821 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input guys.

i'm excited... i just snagged a 25-31 PC plus from the SVS b-stock list for $725 + shipping.

It will, and then some. Enjoy.

Juan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #822 of 17937 Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 PM

i have a 12 jl w6 in my car,it has connections for pos and neg on each side of the sub,so i ran jumper wires to pos to pos and neg to neg.is that what i need to do for the sub to work right.or do i hook them pos to neg and so on.please help.
post #823 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Enjoying very much my four PB12plus/2s

Art

Art, awesome setup! Are those PB12-Plus/2's in Rosewood?
post #824 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon2807 View Post

Art, awesome setup! Are those PB12-Plus/2's in Rosewood?

That's his old setup, he's running four Submersives now. Looks like oak to me?

post #825 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Great job on the settings Bimmer... all the reading you did, you went right to work just like I did, and got right to the fun... My favorite, was the bass sweep on the avia disk... I must have run that like 20 times.. and just laughed so freakin hard every time.. My kid couldn't even talk on the phone because of it...

I watched most of Kingdom of Heaven this morning. I played it with the Play Station 3, 1080p output through receiver to my Sony XBR2. Boy, the picture is fabulous and the audio, expecially the bass, just kicks a$$. The Blu Ray disk has DTS HD master audio but the receiver played it in multi channel PCM, really nice.

Now I am an idiot, how do I put pictures in my post? I copied the pictures but it wouldn't let me paste them in the post. The "paste" is grayed out.
post #826 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Use a host site like photobucket....
post #827 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Where do you find this B stock list

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
post #828 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Here you go: SVS B-stock
post #829 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Not much in B stock right now. SVS (and others) should make it a little easier to find the link for first-timers. Once you know where it is, it's simple, but it is hard to find the first time.

Of course, you have to know what B stock is.

Randy
post #830 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys... quick question. I was watching the sandstorm/crash scene in Flight of the Pheonix today and I THINK my PB12-Plus/2 bottomed out. Does anyone know what frequency that scene has when the plane is quickly losing altitude and all the passengers are screaming? There's one note that is sustained for 5 or 7 seconds that I think the sub can't quite handle... I can hear a fast knock-knock-knock coming from the cabinet.

This is strange to me because I've never been able to do this with anything else other than playing bass test CD's with VERY low frequencies at high volumes.

Is the bass during that part of the scene just that low?

I did hook up a ButtKicker LFE today finally which compliments the PB12-Plus/2 very well! I'll have to tweak that thing tomorrow.

Oh by the way, I only have the subwoofer gain on the SVS amp at about 10:00 or maybe 1/3 of the way up which I wouldn't think would be overdoing it. I have one port plugged... would plugging two (or unplugging the 1) do anything to minimize what I believe is the subwoofers bottoming out?
post #831 of 17937 Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I haven't played that particular scene, but I have played other movies deep and very loud with no distress from the +/2. I am running in the 16Hz tune now and starting to like it.

Randy
post #832 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey guys... quick question. I was watching the sandstorm/crash scene in Flight of the Pheonix today and I THINK my PB12-Plus/2 bottomed out. Does anyone know what frequency that scene has when the plane is quickly losing altitude and all the passengers are screaming? There's one note that is sustained for 5 or 7 seconds that I think the sub can't quite handle... I can hear a fast knock-knock-knock coming from the cabinet.

This is strange to me because I've never been able to do this with anything else other than playing bass test CD's with VERY low frequencies at high volumes.

Is the bass during that part of the scene just that low?

I did hook up a ButtKicker LFE today finally which compliments the PB12-Plus/2 very well! I'll have to tweak that thing tomorrow.

Oh by the way, I only have the subwoofer gain on the SVS amp at about 10:00 or maybe 1/3 of the way up which I wouldn't think would be overdoing it. I have one port plugged... would plugging two (or unplugging the 1) do anything to minimize what I believe is the subwoofers bottoming out?

What are your settings, room size, etc.

See the first post in this thread for my set-up. I also have a Plus/2, and have yet to bottom it out, including FOTF, WOTW, and some other bass-heavy tracks.

Strong men also cry.
post #833 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At very low frequncies the driver(s) in a ported enclosure can "unload" -- the resistance of the enclosure drops close to zero -- and bottoming car occur more easily. Putting a lot of SPL into a room at very low Hz requires a lot of drivers/excursion/power -- you have found the lowest Hz power limit of one /2 in your room!

I'd drop an email to Tom/Ed at techsupport@svsound.com with your room size etc. and get their advice.

To roll off your subsonic response, increase the setting on the subsonic filter on the SB12-Plus/2.

Of course another /2 would help
post #834 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

I haven't played that particular scene, but I have played other movies deep and very loud with no distress from the +/2. I am running in the 16Hz tune now and starting to like it.

See that's the thing I've played tons of other bass heavy scenes and have never had any issues.
post #835 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bri View Post

What are your settings, room size, etc.

See the first post in this thread for my set-up. I also have a Plus/2, and have yet to bottom it out, including FOTF, WOTW, and some other bass-heavy tracks.

My room size is about 15'x17'x8' and is open to the rest of the house. I'm using a Marantz SR8500 receiver. When I really crank it for movies I drop the volume to 0 (not sure how far into the negatives it goes) but I'd guess that I'm at about 60-70% of the receivers max. I have the subwoofer setting on the Marantz set to 0 (no boost) and the PB12-Plus/2 has its gain at around 10:00 or maybe 1/3 of its max.

What do you guys think would happen if I added another port (or removed the one port I currently have in)?

I did email SVS tech support about this issue.
post #836 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Post some pictures, please!!!
post #837 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you guys think would happen if I added another port (or removed the one port I currently have in)?

Removing the one plug will raise the tuning and give you more overall volume output and less deep extension. Adding another plug would do just the opposit. Make sure your high pass filter setting matches the tuning you choose. Experiment to see which sounds better to your ears.
post #838 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My room size is about 15'x17'x8' and is open to the rest of the house. I'm using a Marantz SR8500 receiver. When I really crank it for movies I drop the volume to 0 (not sure how far into the negatives it goes) but I'd guess that I'm at about 60-70% of the receivers max. I have the subwoofer setting on the Marantz set to 0 (no boost) and the PB12-Plus/2 has its gain at around 10:00 or maybe 1/3 of its max.

I did email SVS tech support about this issue.

SVS is usually excellent as far as tech support goes, so they shouldn't take long to get back with you. Make sure that the sound you hear is actually your sub bottoming-out, and not some other room resonance. I find that at high volume, my room/whole house has vibrations that go unnoticed at any other time. Get down on the floor next to your sub, hearing protection might be a good idea, and play those passages you mentioned. Use a flashlight and observe the drivers. Are they actually bottoming out?

I'm still nailing down the vibes in my own system. My last round of tightening came with the movement of the Death Star in Episode IV. I had to screw each compartment of my ent center to the wall to keep them from vibrating. I also have a floating laminate floor that I think gives me some trouble sometimes. I doubt I'll ever have a "silent" room. I envy those who have a dedicated theater that they can tailor to their system. That's life......

Strong men also cry.
post #839 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

"Removing the one plug will raise the tuning and give you more overall volume output and less deep extension. Adding another plug would do just the opposit. Make sure your high pass filter setting matches the tuning you choose. Experiment to see which sounds better to your ears."

I actually did this when I first got my PB12-Plus/2 a few months ago and found that I liked the one plug best. Now that I added a ButtKicker LFE to the equation though I may remove the one plug and let the shaker deal with the really low stuff.
post #840 of 17937 Old 01-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bri View Post

SVS is usually excellent as far as tech support goes, so they shouldn't take long to get back with you. Make sure that the sound you hear is actually your sub bottoming-out, and not some other room resonance. I find that at high volume, my room/whole house has vibrations that go unnoticed at any other time. Get down on the floor next to your sub, hearing protection might be a good idea, and play those passages you mentioned. Use a flashlight and observe the drivers. Are they actually bottoming out?

I don't believe it to be anything other than the sub but I suppose I should get down and see. How would you guys describe a sub bottoming out sound? To me it sounds like if you take a wooden broom handle and touch the tip to the blades of a fast spinning ceiling fan... knock-knock-knock-knock-knock...

Does that sound accurate?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page