Bob Marley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 17279 Old 09-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually there are NO DUTY or Border charges at all. I got my Plus 2 to Ottawa Ontario last week and all that is required is the 7% and 7% gst and pst that we pay on all things here.

Sadly mine is still sitting in the garage in it's crate waiting for me to move. I don't imagine I'll take advantage of the 45 day money back garuntee based on the stellar reviews I've found all over the web.

Shipping was super fast too.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stimpson View Post

Dr. Pain,

Actually an announcement about that is coming very soon, thanks for the interest. Our goal will be stable prices, enhanced accessability, and simpler/lower shipping costs. We've been working on procedures for world-market presence for over a year now and frankly Canada was the toughest case to make from a business standpoint (sales have been quite good there over the years right from the US after all). We think the right combination of conditions exist, finally. We've been in intense discussions with a well-established web-direct reseller with a good track record of providing good service to his customers and expect this to bear fruit around the end of the month.

PS there is actually no "duty" now on most SVS products AFAIK, we ship north all the time (heck our amps actually come from there now). There are some pesky "border fees" that amount to a similar thing, and we're well aware of that small, but pervasive, added cost.

Ron
SVS

post #63 of 17279 Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
In the spirit of the OP, I thought I would add my experience.

I took delivery of my 25-31 PC+ this past Thursday, did a basic SPL-based calibration on Friday, and checked out a few movies this past weekend. "Darla Tapping" in Nemo was very nice as was the "23-19" in Monsters, Inc. I also watched Black Hawk down and even at rather low listening levels (it was late), I got complaints from my son who was trying to go to sleep.
But, one of the big surprises came about today when I got to spend some quality time listening to music. I was surprised at how much I was missing with my previous sub. There was so much more definition and detail in the lower frequencies. In a couple of cases, I heard stuff (good stuff) I hadn't heard before. In the rest of the cases, it just sounded better.
Of course one never knows how much of this is psychosomatic vs. a real measureable improvement. But, I'm pretty sure some of it is for real.

My system consists of Paradigm Atoms for sats and surrounds and a CC-170 for the center - not exactly high end, but not a complete slouch, either. The PC+ replaces a Paradigm PDR-10.

The PDR-10 was capable of shaking my furniture during bassy scenes (e.g. WotW, Star Wars II, etc.), but a while back, I started having a feeling that something was missing in both movies and music.

The system was originally put together about 2.5 years ago, but about 9 months ago I started thinking about replacing the sub. I did some research at that time, but decided I was going to hold off for a while. Then, for various reasons, a few weeks ago I finally decided I was going to pull the trigger and get a new sub.

So, I resumed my research and kept finding myself looking at the SVS subs - especially the cylinders. I really like the small foot print, the relatively lower price and weight when compared to their box-brethren, and since the sub would be placed in a corner behind the TV, I knew I could fit/hide a 25-31 size cylinder without too much trouble. But, I decided I wouldn't be able to hide a 20-39 or larger cylinder behind there.

That said, I was also digging what I read about the PB-10 NSD sub and it would fit fine as well. Add to that the reasonable price and I thought that would actually be the route I would take.

So, I emailed SVS and after exchanging several emails with Erik (who, incredibly, would respond to emails on weekends - Sundays included) in which I described my room size (~4500-5000 cu. ft - family room with connected dining/kitchen area - stupid open floor plans ), and the sort of levels I sometimes get to listen at (85/95dB music/movies when the family's not around), he clearly thought I needed at least the PB12-NSD or PCi. But, he also suggested that I save my pennies and get a Plus-series sub.

At that point, I thought I would get a 25-31 PCi - which is the sub that I had always been attracted to - figuring it would still be a big step up from the PDR-10. But, then I pondered this a bit more and after reading a few hundred more posts I decided that I should see if I could swing the money for a 25-31 PC+. Besides the 12.3 driver, I also liked the idea that it would let me play with lower frequency settings using the port blockers. Well, after poking around the bank accounts, I decided I could find the extra $225 I needed for a 25-31 PC+.

But, I also decided that I would sit tight and see if a B-Stock 25-31 PC+ showed up - this would save me another $50. So, I wrote a Perl script to check the SVS website a few times a day for one to show up on the B-stock page and lo and behold one popped up after only about a week of waiting. I immediately bought it and as you can see I'm very happy I did.

Next steps consist of an Avia calibration and a RoomEQWizard analysis. And, if necessary and funds allow, I'll introduce a BFD into the picture.

I hope this helps another future shopper in their journey,

Mitch
post #64 of 17279 Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

...I wrote a Perl script to check the SVS website a few times a day for one to show up on the B-stock page and lo and behold one popped up after only about a week of waiting.

Hey that's a good idea for those who are trying to nab any B-stock models. Of course I've heard they don't always put them on the web site quickly so calling SVS is the best way to check.

Who's going to make a perl script that dials their number several times a day with a prerecorded message? "Do you have any model subs in B-stock? Press 1 for yes, press 2 for no." OK so SVS might not like that idea very much

Jeremy Gillow
post #65 of 17279 Old 09-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Guess it's about time I joined this thread being a new owner of a 'real' subwoofer, the SVS PB10. My previous subs were two Onkyo HTIB subs (an 8" and a 10") and a Yamaha dual 8". I thought these subs were great for the price but I was ignorant to what else was out there. I was about to get the Bic H100 but when I went to the b-stock page at SVS one day and saw the PB10-NSD, I couldn't resist and snached it up. My first thoughts after getting it was that it wasn't as loud or as hard hitting. After proper calibration and location, I realized that I was hearing clean, untampered bass for the first time where as my previous subs had a large gain in the 50-80 hz range that was not true to the signal bass. Now I understand what real 20hz bass is all about after watching WOTW, Master and Commander, Incredibles and other bass-happy movies. I can see myself wanting to upgrade to a NSD/2 or Plus/2 someday hungry for more, but for now the PB10 fits the need and get's me where I haven't been before.

My Setup:
Onkyo HT-R530 7.1 receiver
Panasonic AE900u projected onto a 76" screen
Advent Heritage H500 towers (L/R), Center, H200 (rear L/R) and H100 (back L/R)
SVS PB10-NSD

Room size is 17 x 14 x 8, opened to the kitchen and hall totalling about 3800 cubic feet (more if bedroom doors are opened).

Micah
post #66 of 17279 Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 AM

Just ordered a new PB12-plus from Eric. Should be quite a jump from the Velodyne Minivee (which will now go in Mrs. Schwingding's TV room)
post #67 of 17279 Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 AM

I have had the PB12-NSD/2 for about 2 months now and it is without question the greatest audio purchase I have ever made. It just kills.
post #68 of 17279 Old 09-11-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

In a few days I should be receiving a used CS-Ultra (from vitod), which will bring my total up to 2. Then there's a whole new round of positioning and calibration to find out what works best with a dual sub configuration. I'll probably end up with one in each front corner instead of colocating but only if that yields improved response linearity. My EP2500 will finally have to drive that other channel that's been sitting idle for months

Jeremy Gillow
post #69 of 17279 Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Hey Ron,

If this Canadian reseller offers a reduced bottom line for Canadian buyers why not throw me a free gift to make me feel better for buying one before the savings!
post #70 of 17279 Old 09-11-2006, 07:29 PM

I am looking to get a sub from SVS, I just cant make up my mind. I just purchased the Rti 12's from polk alond with the matching enter and surrounds. I wasnt to impressed with thier subs. I have heard many good things about SVS, I am just torn with making a choice to go with either the PB12 SNB/2, the PB12 ultra (I just cant swing the PBultra/2) , or the PC-ultra. Any info guys?
post #71 of 17279 Old 09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyannkillspetey View Post

I am looking to get a sub from SVS, I just cant make up my mind. I just purchased the Rti 12's from polk alond with the matching enter and surrounds. I wasnt to impressed with thier subs. I have heard many good things about SVS, I am just torn with making a choice to go with either the PB12 SNB/2, the PB12 ultra (I just cant swing the PBultra/2) , or the PC-ultra. Any info guys?

If you have a large space to fill, go with any /2 or dual subs. If your space is 3000 cubic feet or smaller, go with any single (unless you want the dual anyway). If floor space is at a premium, look at the cylinders (unless you want cylinders anyway). If HT is your thing, work up the product line from the bottom to the top and when your budget won't allow anymore, stop and buy.

Randy
post #72 of 17279 Old 09-12-2006, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just contact SVS, and tell them about your budget, space, and listening habits. They'll give you very honest advice, and won't try to oversell you. I ended up with a PB Plus/2. See first post in the thread.

Strong men also cry.
post #73 of 17279 Old 09-13-2006, 09:53 PM

I just found out that my PB12-NSD has been shipped and is due to be delivered on Friday, just in time for the weekend.

I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend.

- -Martin
post #74 of 17279 Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 AM

I've PC+ 25-31, see here and awaiting shipment of SB12 Plus
post #75 of 17279 Old 09-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Finally received my PB12-NSD late this afternoon....

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #76 of 17279 Old 09-16-2006, 02:11 PM

I just ordered a PB10... I cant wait......
post #77 of 17279 Old 09-21-2006, 06:50 AM

I just got the PB10 yesterday... Something needs tweaking though i think.... The Depth Charge scene in U571 almost knocked the pictures off the walls but the "asteroid blast" scene in Attack of the clones seemed a little lacking.... anyone have any thoughts?
post #78 of 17279 Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

What are your room dimensions, and how is your sub set up on your receiver?

post #79 of 17279 Old 09-21-2006, 07:53 AM

My living room is approx 18' long by 13' Wide... I have all speakers set to small , Sub vol on receiver set at 0db, and the sub gain at 9 o'clock.
post #80 of 17279 Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds about right. You may have some phase issues or nulls in your room. If you have an SPL meter and the AVIA disk, you may want to do a sub tone sweep and check to see if the placement of your sub in your room is giving you issues. A couple of feet sometimes makes a huge difference on how linear your frequency response can be.

post #81 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 AM

My SVS is currently in the front left corner of my room. While playing test tones, there is greater bass in other parts of the room instead of the dead middle of the room where the listening position is. The only problem is the size of the sub.. I really dont have any other place to put it. Are there any other options? How about this? With the Sub in the front left corner, should the driver be facing any specific direction?
post #82 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbrooklyn View Post

My SVS is currently in the front left corner of my room. While playing test tones, there is greater bass in other parts of the room instead of the dead middle of the room where the listening position is. The only problem is the size of the sub.. I really dont have any other place to put it. Are there any other options? How about this? With the Sub in the front left corner, should the driver be facing any specific direction?

try this tip: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ubwooferpl.php

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #83 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

try this tip: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ubwooferpl.php

Ive done this , but i really have no other place to put the sub beacause its so large.... How about the direction the front firing woofer is placed? Would that make a difference? Woofer pointing toward the back of the room, pointing toward the other side of the room, pointing toward the front of the room?
post #84 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbrooklyn View Post

That's pretty common, actually.

Not much you can do other than installing bass traps, which is not a realistic option for many of us. The direction the woofer faces should have no noticeable effect, although it doesn't cost anything to experiment.

I have pretty much the same situation, and settled for calibrating to my seating position and living with the anomalies elsewhere. You might try contacting SVS to see if they have any suggestions. They are very helpful, although I doubt there is much to be done in this case, given your placement limitations (which I share).
post #85 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

That, indeed, seems to be the problem. The issue does not appear to be the sub... but rather the room. I would suspect that even if you had the room for it, moving the sub may only partially solve your present issue. If financially feasable, and if you have enough room, I would look into some bass traps or other viable room treatment.

post #86 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 AM

Yeah, unfortunately the bass would sound best if i had it placed right in front of the entrance to my apartment.. I dont think the wife would appreciate having to climb over it to enter and leave the house...hahahaha
post #87 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Well... mine has made her first comment of "concern" this week. Was watching War of the Worlds, and the whole house was shaking. Not nearly as bad, though, as when I was running the AVIA tone sweeps on the sub. My puppies dissapeared to hide upstairs. Had to go and comfort them for half an hour...

post #88 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

...My puppies dissapeared to hide upstairs. Had to go and comfort them for half an hour...

Since I got my SVS 16-46 PC+, my dog trots out of the room every time he sees me crack open a DVD!
post #89 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

Since I got my SVS 16-46 PC+, my dog trots out of the room every time he sees me crack open a DVD!

My Cat beg to get in the Theatre. And usally fall asleep on the couch on the second row.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #90 of 17279 Old 09-22-2006, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Darth, do try spinning the sub so that the woofer fires in different directions. It can make a night and day difference. In my old apartment, I was extremely limited on placement options with my old sub, really the only thing I could do was spin it 180 degree, it made a huge difference in my seated position. My current sub, pb12+/2, being the huge monstrocity that it is, I only have one location that it can go. I have done some calibration on it, and did it with the ports firing into the room and then spun it so the ports fire against the wall (ie spinning 180 degrees) and there was a very noticeable difference. I went from +/- 7db's to +/- 4db's from 100hz to 20hz, just by spinning the sub. Also, if you can't totally change the location, try just a few inches one way or another if at all possible--it can make a big difference as well. Again, in my old apartment, the sweet spot in the room was almost night and day difference from the rest, and it was only about a 12" cubed area, that just happened to be about 6" behind my head in my recliner--could never quite get perfect. The point is, just a few inches SOMETIMES can make a world of difference. There are about 10,000 variables that go into how bass will sound from a sub in your home--it is a lot of experimenting and keeping your fingers crossed. One way to take a lot of luck out of the equation is to get a BFD or similar EQ to help with room issues if placement options are exhuasted. Best of luck with your new baby and in your search to get the most out of it.

Above all, enjoy the sound.
You gotta love the internet.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Speaker Systems , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page