post #9181 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

It should; Mason from SBA said they have it in stock now. I just shipped the defective unit back this morning so I guess I'll get the replacement next week. The only problem is that I'll be alone with my 2-yo daughter during the evenings so I really don't know when I'll be able to pick it up. Don't worry, status report as soon as possible as always smile.gif

Well, it is time to hire a babysitter!!!!
Quote:

I really hope to be able to watch a movie this weekend and tell you whether it feels that different from the SB12. For now I got the level of deep bass I had before, and certainly more slam and ... not sure how to describe this. It's the first time I have the impression that the floor is rippling under my feet. Call it seismic presence if you will.

Bass that you feel.............just that is a big "plus" versus the SB12.........did you see what I did there? LOL.

Quote:

The second Plus probably will go where my working unit was before so I'll have two subs on the front stage as you do, and as Lecter suggested. It will have the benefit of maximally using the front stage, and will probably spread good bass on most seats. Maybe I'll also try position 1 (beside the couches) as it seems clear that the subs don't create bass only close to where they stand. However I do fear having some form of localization in the upper bass, which symmetrically-positioned subs on the front stage would alleviate.

Man, you are lucky that you can move your subs around and try different locations. In my case, front stage is the only option without messing things up with dry-walls, etc.

So, enjoy experimenting with multiple locations!!!
Quote:

Have you considered simply painting the wall with the appropriate matte white paint? Would be much less expensive than a screen, unless you also want to keep the TV and be able to switch between the two outputs.

Correct! But, I'm thinking more of painting the wall as a temporary solution. I really want to have a 2:35.1 fixed frame screen and the cool things about this projector is the zoom memory option (main reason for me on buying this particular unit). Have look of this video featuring the PT-AE7000U that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you ever do that, please post a video of the scene.

I don't think I'll survive after that.......LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9183 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 473
wow that feature is AWESOME> Looks like whn i get the PJ I am going to use this one, as I want to have the 2.35:1 permanent. only issue is movies like TDK where it flips back and forth oh well.

but this is a great product. how much does that screen go for? I would definatly need a retractable screen if I were ever to do it.

How would I run wires on the main floor through the ceiling? (having a second floor above it) I guess i will worry about that waaaay later haha

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #9184 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

wow that feature is AWESOME> Looks like whn i get the PJ I am going to use this one, as I want to have the 2.35:1 permanent. only issue is movies like TDK where it flips back and forth oh well.

You are totally right on the TDK movie. However, this projector has a detecting format that in theory will adjust the zoom depending on the source material. It seems like works well with some movies, but not for "all" of them. In any case, that is one of the first things that I want to test............after initial settings/calibration.

Quote:

but this is a great product. how much does that screen go for? I would definatly need a retractable screen if I were ever to do it.

Oh boy, that screen is way to expensive for me a 106" model runs for about $2,899

I'm planning on buying more affordable fixed screen, hence the reason it will take some time to find the right one.
Quote:

How would I run wires on the main floor through the ceiling? (having a second floor above it) I guess i will worry about that waaaay later haha

Well, that is my dilemma right now. Let me explain, I have dry-wall ceiling at my basement, so in order to run all wires, I'll have to open some holes and hopefully, I'll not find any kind of obstructions while doing that. But, we all know is not going to be the case, so it will be a fun, fun exercise. In any case, for the moment, I'll test everything running the wires on the floor.

Oh and to keep on topic............I love my PB13-Ultras (I hope this qualifies....wink.gif)

post #9185 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

yes that qualifies. haha

pb12 is great...mine does too

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #9186 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
guys, just got my pb12, i have a question, i just unpacked it and all, im having a problem installing the Grill, do i need to push it in really hard or something? the pins dont go into the 4 holes easily.. confused.gif

::
post #9187 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

can someone please help with any insight? am i doing something "wrong"? how is the grill supposed to be installed?

post #9188 of 18051 Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

can someone please help with any insight? am i doing something "wrong"? how is the grill supposed to be installed?
If you go back a page or two, there is an explanation. I think one of the holes isn't straight, so the whole thing is off just enough to not quite fit, and it you do, it will work itself loose when it's playing.

Step one of the fix was to make sure the holes were clear of debris. Call SVS and they will either help you fix it or send you a new grille.

post #9189 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

well i managed to get the grill installed securely, only one corner isn't in all the way in but its okay i guess...

now onto the subwoofer itself, im playing some pandora on the system right now, i turned auddysey off until the sub breaks in a little and ill run auddysey in about an hour or so to calibrate the system, compared to my eD, the bass is sounding pretty good at the moment! very tight and precise.. not boomy at all, difficult to explain.. i didn't think ill notice a difference compared to the eD but i do notice a difference, and this is without auddysey,

P.S. , for people that doubt auddysey, now that i have auddysey turned off, the clarity of sound from all the speakers has greatly decreased, so auddysey does make a huge difference in sound quality (i have auddysey xt32)

and the reason i turned auddysey off is because i dont think its a good idea for the receiver to send signals to the subwoofer when auddysey still has the setting for my eD subwoofer, you know what i mean?..

post #9190 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well i managed to get the grill installed securely, only one corner isn't in all the wal but its okay i guess...
now onto the subwoofer itself, im playing some pandora on the system right now, i turned auddysey off until the sub breaks in a little and ill run auddysey in about an hour or so to calibrate the system, compared to my eD, the bass is sounding pretty good at the moment! very tight and precise.. not boomy at all, difficult to explain.. i didn't think ill notice a difference compared to the eD but i do notice a difference, and this is without auddysey,
P.S. , for people that doubt auddysey, now that i have auddysey turned off, the clarity of sound from all the speakers has greatly decreased, so auddysey does make a huge difference in sound quality (i have auddysey xt32)
and the reason i turned auddysey off is because i dont think its a good idea for the receiver to send signals to the subwoofer when it still has the setting for my eD subwoofer, you know what i mean?..

Really cool that you manage to fix the issue with the grill. I can't wait to hear your impressions "after" your setup is properly calibrated now with the SVS sub hooked.

Congrats on your purchase and please report back!

post #9191 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure will do,

one question, after i run the auddysey calibration, the LFE should be set to 120hz for the subwoofer in the reciever's settings right?

post #9192 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

Sure will do,
one question, after the run the auddysey calibration, the LFE should be set to 120hz for the subwoofer in the reciever's settings right?

Correct.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #9193 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

i dont get it, so i re ran auddysey just now on my onkyo 818, is auddysey detecting that i have 2 subwoofers? why are there 2 subwoofers in the summary picture? i have only my new SVS sub connected to the system confused.gif

post #9194 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

i dont get it, so i re ran auddysey just now on my onkyo 818, is auddysey detecting that i have 2 subwoofers? why are there 2 subwoofers in the summary picture? i have only my new SVS sub connected to the system confused.gif

relax...that is standard practice to show that in the GUI. it only recognized your singular sub.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #9195 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

So it shows 2 subwoofers in the picture whether you have one subwoofer or two?

post #9196 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

So it shows 2 subwoofers in the picture whether you have one subwoofer or two?
correct...

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #9197 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I moved my sub one inch further from the wall. Sounds even better. It's really amazing what a single inch can do. Tweaking position is certainly the most important step to get good bass.

post #9198 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I moved my sub one inch further from the wall. Sounds even better. It's really amazing what a single inch can do. Tweaking position is certainly the most important step to get good bass.
That's really interesting. Wonder if I should try that haha. I simply love my sub. I have had it a month and I still get excited thinking about coming home to watch a movie. And not even a bass movie it makes allocated better. Fills out the soundtrack etc.

I even find myself listening to way more music now too.

My first HT build thread
post #9199 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SVS sub is just that good...........and Audyssey actually thinks you have two..........................tongue.gif
Quote:

That is really cool. People usually recommends to move subs like a foot, but now you are hearing an improvement in sound after moving your sub just "one" inch..........that indeed is amazing!!!

cool.gif
Quote:

That's really interesting. Wonder if I should try that haha. I simply love my sub. I have had it a month and I still get excited thinking about coming home to watch a movie. And not even a bass movie it makes allocated better. Fills out the soundtrack etc.
I even find myself listening to way more music now too.

Same happened with me. I was 100% HT and know, I am 50% HT and 50% music..........biggrin.gif

post #9200 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

SVS sub is just that good...........and Audyssey actually thinks you have two..........................tongue.gif
That is really cool. People usually recommends to move subs like a foot, but now you are hearing an improvement in sound after moving your sub just "one" inch..........that indeed is amazing!!!
cool.gif
Same happened with me. I was 100% HT and know, I am 50% HT and 50% music..........biggrin.gif

please give me a serious answer,

post #9201 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have that fancy GUI like you have on your avr. So I can't help. Does your avr have two sub outputs?

My first HT build thread
post #9202 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have that fancy GUI like you have on your avr. So I can't help. Does your avr have two sub outputs?

on the back of the avr there are 2 sub outputs, but i am only using one and thats the new svs sub thats connected..

post #9203 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:

on the back of the avr there are 2 sub outputs, but i am only using one and thats the new svs sub thats connected..

What is the gain set to on you sub? Perhaps it's set too high?

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:

post #9204 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I would rerun adyssey. Does your sub make the test thump for both shown subs on the GUI?

My first HT build thread
post #9205 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

the gain is set at 10am position, thats exactly at 75db , because auddysey told me to adjust to gain until the meter says 75db in the begining of the calibration.

the test thump for the sub shows for both of the subwoofers in the picture. when it thumps they both highlight in flashing blue glow

post #9206 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok but do you hear a thump for both?

My first HT build thread
post #9207 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I think the dual sub outputs on the Onkyo 818 are simply a single output that is split internally, so it doesn't change anything calibration or EQ-wise. The 818 has MultEQ XT32 but not SubEQ (which, by the way, is not required to EQ the sub, only required to EQ dual subs individually).

post #9208 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

i have only one subwoofer connected, the new PB12 that i got yesterday, during the calibration, when the subwoofer's turn comes, it only thumps once (for one subwoofer, not 2 sessions of thumping.. ).. anyways, i finished re running auddysey, i looked all over in the onkyo 818's setup menu that mentions 2 subwoofers and none can be found.. so im guessing that it just shows 2 subs in the gui.. whatever i wont stress over it too much, the system sounds fantastic non the less..

Back to the SVS PB12, the system is calibrated with Auddysey XT32, 8 Positions, i tested a few movies and music, sounds really really good, very clean, tight and precise bass, not boomy in any way.. i have to play with it some more but i like it so far.

post #9209 of 18051 Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Great! Now time to push it. Put in some 5 star scenes smile.gif how to train your dragon and 9 are my personal favs right now

My first HT build thread
post #9210 of 18051 Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 AM

Liked: 27
My fun SVS story for the week, just me babling. Feel free to ignore me folks wink.gif

Well I started with two SVS SB-12NSD's in the front of the room, between my L and R, and outside my center console.

At first I was impressed with the sound, but the more I had time to sit with the room, this feeling slowly degraded. The "smack you in the chest" feeling was not there, and some frequencies did not seem defined (anything really deep).

So off I went to do the sub crawl.

The results:

The 1st sub went to the far Left of the room, in the front corner.

The 2nd sub, went behind the couch, to the right rear of the room.

I did a ton of frequency sweeps and used the best mic I had (my ear).

After doing 2 second, 25hz-80hz swings I found the baseline area.

Then did constant tones, to define the area.

The front sub had GREAT response from 30hz to 50hz, but then a significant fall off. Distorting your voice when you talk type loud.
In this location from 50hz+, the output sucked, it's a major fall off

The rear sub had GREAT response from around 45hz, till 80hz, then it get peaky. Distorting your voice when you talk type loud.
In this location From 20-35hz, the output sucks, it's a major fall off

I hoping the two sub locations compliment each-other and allow for a overall smooth curve.

Is this pretty common for folks to get this type of result. Maybe I'm asking too much from the SB12's, and need to go PB13ultras??
I couldn't find a location in the room, even with the two subs, that had any kind of significant volume at 20-25hz

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page