Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.
JEFFREY GTS's Avatar JEFFREY GTS 02:47 PM 01-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis471 View Post

Hi,

Yes going for 2! I have paid for them as of last night, so I'm just waiting now for the day they show!
I will not have them in the same corner, in fact they will be in the front left, and front right corners... of course there will be some tweaking.

Have fun with your Pb12's as well!!

Mike

Anxious to hear your impressions on them. I really considered dual 10's instead of dual 12's. Decided on going with the bigger woofer and port though.

forhabi's Avatar forhabi 03:22 PM 01-12-2007
Anyone have a SPL (sound pressure level) meter that i could borrow?

The SVS folks were out of stock so couldn't order one with my sub thru them. Also, the Radio Shacks around my place are OOS too.

I'm based in Sunnyvale, CA so if anyone around the bay area wouldn't mind lending me theirs it'll be greatly appreciated. I should be receiving my sub today and cant wait to set it up correctly this weekend.

thanks
mainemanx's Avatar mainemanx 11:19 PM 01-12-2007
After several months of lurking on this thread, I just snagged a Rosenut SB12+ B-stock off the SVS site. I presume it's a CES demo... hopefully not too scratched up. I notice that while the U.S. site cites a 425 watt amp, the U.K. site rates it at 25 watts R.M.S. 'Must be a really strange looking sine wave they're fitting that square under.... or the U.S. 425 figure represents peak, so-called "music power" on a good day in a vacuum at zero degrees Kelvin!!!!!!
rockemsockem's Avatar rockemsockem 05:45 AM 01-13-2007
I'm certain it's a type on the U.K. site.
Warpdrv's Avatar Warpdrv 11:12 AM 01-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by forhabi View Post

Anyone have a SPL (sound pressure level) meter that i could borrow?

The SVS folks were out of stock so couldn't order one with my sub thru them. Also, the Radio Shacks around my place are OOS too.

I'm based in Sunnyvale, CA so if anyone around the bay area wouldn't mind lending me theirs it'll be greatly appreciated. I should be receiving my sub today and cant wait to set it up correctly this weekend.

thanks

Next day air from rad shack online...
genesis471's Avatar genesis471 12:38 AM 01-15-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

MIke you should really consider stacking them if possible. Ed and everyone else from SVS says that is by far the best option for maximizing performance!!! Jeff and I have asked EXTENSIVE questions about this....Jeff is right, Colocating can get you a +6db gain. (which is INCREDIBLE!)

(i realize this might not be possible because of room dimensions or something else like W.A.F.....LOL)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice! I will likely try them in the corners, but I can also stack them I think. I have custom cabinetry which essentially is a large entertainment center that everything sits flush in. I am working on modifying the cabinerty. When I get the stuff I order and everything situated, I will post pic's.
Everyone says subs are non-directional, but I listen to a lot of concerts and I can tell where the sub bass is coming from, and hoping to even that out - now that is only based on an old sub that had little headroom, so we shall see! I can do plenty of experimenting so they kick ass! Oh, WAF is an issue,but only when she's home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

In total agreement. We both have asked a ton of questions and have also tried both scenarios. Stacked in a corner and spread out on opposite sides of the wall. The stacking, if possible is the best way to go. I think it looks pretty cool too. Those two 10's stacked on top of each other would be sweet.

I'm convinced and must give it a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

Anxious to hear your impressions on them. I really considered dual 10's instead of dual 12's. Decided on going with the bigger woofer and port though.

Got a confirmation on saturday, and they will ship this monday or tuesday. It will take me a week or two to get things done, and I'm on vacation the 25th thru Feb 1st. So I should have time to dial it in!

Thanks guys for the kind advice!

Mike
kryolla's Avatar kryolla 02:25 PM 01-15-2007
Its been a week since I got my PB10-NSD and I just ordered a second one.
trapez's Avatar trapez 12:31 AM 01-17-2007
Well, the SVS PC-Ultra arrived at my doorstep about 5 days from order.
Below are pictures of the PCU in and out of the box. Packaging was great with no damage to the woofer. However, you can see from one of the pic at the bottom right corner a slight cut in to the box.

After listening and feeling the PCU shake the walls I decided that I really need to do something about the mirrors glued to the wall. I took Kipp and ggunnell advice here at AVS however I went one step further. I went to Home Depot for supplies and enclosed the mirrors in a wood frame. Hopefully they will hold, if anything maybe the 4 inch screws at the bottom, use to hold the frame may act as a catch all, if not ill post the damage!

bottom right shows ups damage to the outside box, the speaker showed no sign of damage.

I gave my PCU a nice hug and carried her inside

Free SVS Pen!!!

continue in next post...
trapez's Avatar trapez 12:38 AM 01-17-2007
...continue, repeat quote

"After listening and feeling the PCU shake the walls I decided that I really need to do something about the mirrors glued to the wall. I took Kipp and ggunnell advice here at AVS however I went one step further. I went to Home Depot for supplies and enclosed the mirrors in a wood frame. Hopefully they will hold, if anything maybe the 4 inch screws at the bottom, use to hold the frame may act as a catch all, if not ill post the damage!"

If the mirror falls ill post the pic!

PCU hidding in the corner

frame around mirror, will it hold??
(I might shop around for stronger wood, I know those have to be heavy)

from a distance with low lighting shes hard to find.

thanks AVS members!
Gagnon's Avatar Gagnon 01:45 PM 01-17-2007
Ok I have a real noobish question, my apologies.

I have an old Denon AVR-3300 Receiver (I know I should upgrade ), I just picked up an SVS SB12-plus subwoofer. After looking at the inputs of the SB12-plus and the outputs of my Denon AVR-3300 it looks like I want to use an RCA cable to go from the Denon to the SVS, correct? Do I want to use TWO RCA cables? What is confusing is when I look at the back of the Denon it shows this for Preamp Outs (periods added for spacing):

...........................CENTER..........
L......O..........O..........O.........O...
R......O..........O..........O.........O...
..MULTI/...................SUB............
..EFFECT.SURROUND.WOOFER.FRONT.

So obviously the "R" SUB WOOFER out looks like what I should use, should I also use the above "L" output even though it is labeled CENTER or will this have the wrong signal attached to it (after surround sound processing takes place)?

I want to order my cable(s) from monoprice before my subwoofer arrives and I just want to make sure I pickup the right cables. Also if I only use the "R" SUB WOOFER output is it recommended that I split this into 2 RCA cables and input them both into the SB12-Plus? I am sure this is a real stupid question, and my apologies for asking, but this is my 1st sub.

This cable should be fine right?

ONE last question
My apartment is 19x13x11' = ~2700 c.f. will I be happy with this sub? Here are pics of my apartment, my TV is parallel to the windows with my couch about 6' away from the TV:
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3311/frontjr1.png
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6329/backgr3.png
Macfan424's Avatar Macfan424 02:40 PM 01-17-2007
Gagnon, the Center and Subwoofer outlets are neither right nor left. Hook up your SB12+ to the lower one (Subwoofer) and you'll be set.

The cable you selected should be fine. There is no need to use a "Y" connector on your SVS sub. (IIRC, SVS's manual mentions this.)

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your new sub. I'm celebrating my PC+'s first anniversary. It's in a similar sized room, and has been wonderful. (Although I'm not one of those who insist on 120dB SPL's. They'd want two! )
ggunnell's Avatar ggunnell 02:55 PM 01-17-2007
Thanks for the pics, Trapez! Who gets to sit in the corner chair?
Gagnon's Avatar Gagnon 02:56 PM 01-17-2007
Thanks Macfan, I feel my current system definitely lacks punch, I have NHT's 3's a 3c, and AZ's for surround.

So I guess my noob Q #2 is which input does it go into the back of the SB12-Plus (couldn't find the manual online):
http://www.svsound.com/sb12plus_ros...aight_basic.jpg
I would guess one of the RCA inputs in the upper right of the pic above?

Is the sub smart enough to know only 1 of the 2 inputs was connected, or do I need to make any adjustment on the sub?
Macfan424's Avatar Macfan424 03:08 PM 01-17-2007
Gagnon, it doesn't matter which input you use on the SB12+. The incoming signal is summed internally, so the sub doesn't "care" which one is connected or whether both are. No user adjustments are required either way. (For some reason, your link would not work for me, so I couldn't check the pic you mentioned, but your description of the hook up location sounds right.)

The manual is here (assuming my link works for you ).
psychdoctor's Avatar psychdoctor 04:29 AM 01-21-2007
I just got my PB12+/2 up and running. Took a while to find the right balance but after several tests I think I got it right (thanks to the SPL). Well, I put on DTS version WOTW and I could not believe the incredible earthquake sound I received. My HT is huge, 20x30 with about 8-9 feet ceilings for about 5000cf that goes into a kitchen area and dinning room (8500cf total). I run the bass +5db (hot). I listened at -23DB on Yamaha 6090 receiver. The scene when the aliens come up from the streets was fantastic! The rumbling shook my far back wall and I thought my screen door was coming loose. I actually felt the waves against my body and the sub is 15 feet away! When the rays hit people I about sh!t myself! I am so happy! But I have one problem...I think I am a bass addict. Now I plan on purchase the new Ultra PB 13 and stack it on top of the PB12+/2. I guess I want to explode all my windows.
MugenPower's Avatar MugenPower 07:46 AM 01-21-2007
psychdoctor,

funny, your room description sounds exactly like what I have. I also have PB12+/2 paired with 6090. I love the set-up. I normally watch my movies at -3db. the bass is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoctor View Post

I just got my PB12+/2 up and running. Took a while to find the right balance but after several tests I think I got it right (thanks to the SPL). Well, I put on DTS version WOTW and I could not believe the incredible earthquake sound I received. My HT is huge, 20x30 with about 8-9 feet ceilings for about 5000cf that goes into a kitchen area and dinning room (8500cf total). I run the bass +5db (hot). I listened at -23DB on Yamaha 6090 receiver. The scene when the aliens come up from the streets was fantastic! The rumbling shook my far back wall and I thought my screen door was coming loose. I actually felt the waves against my body and the sub is 15 feet away! When the rays hit people I about sh!t myself! I am so happy! But I have one problem...I think I am a bass addict. Now I plan on purchase the new Ultra PB 13 and stack it on top of the PB12+/2. I guess I want to explode all my windows.

SbWillie's Avatar SbWillie 01:34 PM 01-21-2007
I was hoping the new Ultras would have this option ....

hv9200's Avatar hv9200 04:15 PM 01-21-2007
Hello

My SVS PB12-NSD/2 arrived Friday. Unpacked and did a quick and dirty set up yesterday. So far I am very impressed. This sub seems to have unlimited power and punch (compared to my old KSW-12 )

I connected the sub to my Yammy RX-V2700 and ran the YPAO, After reviewing the results and doing some of my own corrections here are my settings

all speakers set to small
Crossover in Yammy set to 80hz
SVS set in 20 hz mode (one port blocked, filter dial set to 20)
volume/gain during set up at 10 o'clock
volume/gain during use 12 o'clock

the Yamaha set the sub distance at 12 feet even though its only about 3-4 away from the sweet spot (where the ypao mic was) anyone else see this as well? should I adjust it manually to actual distance? The sub is cornered and is at the end of the couch so I am unsure if the couch itself is "blocking" some of the sound waves...is that possible? its in a corner, has about 3" of clearance to the side wall and is just about touching the couch, almost like an endtable would sit...is it to closed in? just a thought...

anyway, I plan to calibrate with an SPL meter in the next few weeks.
Philip A's Avatar Philip A 05:58 PM 01-21-2007
PB +/2 owner here--upgraded from an M&K v2b 12 (sealed)... running with the 20hz tune (one port blocked).

I've had it a couple weeks and worked through calibration and crawl tests to find the best spot (turns out front right corner-loaded yields no "nulls" in any of my listening positions). Ed at SVS has been such a stud helping me out...

I am truly impressed with the headroom of this beast!

Music is a real (gross understatement) surprise--very clean and full, without boominess. My wife immediately and consistently has said it is a vast improvement over the M&K.

I was afraid of a ported design for music and was aided and abetted by some comments in other threads about the Hsu being more "musical." I cannot comment on how the Hsu might sound, it probably is fantastic, but I can say that I have no second-thoughts on the SVS with every music demo I can throw at it (I have ecclectic tastes--White Stripes, U2, John Mayer, Diana Krall, John Legend, AC/DC, B-Tribe, Jesse Cook, George Gershwin, Enya, ERA, E.S. Posthumous, etc.) No boominess, just presence and appropriate thump/slam/boom. One very cool thing about the music is Jesse Cook's guitar strings and triangle clang remain above and distinct from the "floor" of the bass--its amazing. Like I said, my wife is really impressed and that is a feat!

I'll save the superlatives, unless you want me to wax eloquent (which I gladly will).

Which brings me to my question/comment: I never hear anyone talk about the "Council scene" in FOTR EE. Everyone talks about the "ring drop" and the Mordor sequence (which are truly incredible). Still, I've never heard/felt/experienced anything quite like Frodo laying down the ring and Gandolf muttering in whatever language and the argument that ensues. I shave my head and it moves my stubble, I tell you!!! It is inexpressibly impressive--I had a sound engineer over from the University I work at and he brought his RTA with him to help me calibrate/evaluate. He was stunned and asked me where I got this sub. He was about to buy a studio Mackey (sp?), but is going to re-evaluate that after hear/feeling this +/2!

Does anyone know what hz that scene is? Is anyone else more impressed with this scene than others usually mentioned?
SbWillie's Avatar SbWillie 06:11 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip A View Post

\\ Ed at SVS has been such a stud helping me out...

\\

ransac's Avatar ransac 06:22 PM 01-21-2007
hv9200,
Your AVR is setting the distance of the sub greater than it really is due to low frequency latency. It does this to delay the upper frequencies from the mains. You can change it manually, but try it for a while as is.
ggunnell's Avatar ggunnell 06:33 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post

Hello

My SVS PB12-NSD/2 arrived Friday. Unpacked and did a quick and dirty set up yesterday. So far I am very impressed. This sub seems to have unlimited power and punch (compared to my old KSW-12 )

I connected the sub to my Yammy RX-V2700 and ran the YPAO, After reviewing the results and doing some of my own corrections here are my settings

the Yamaha set the sub distance at 12 feet even though its only about 3-4 away from the sweet spot (where the ypao mic was) anyone else see this as well? should I adjust it manually to actual distance? The sub is cornered and is at the end of the couch so I am unsure if the couch itself is "blocking" some of the sound waves...is that possible? its in a corner, has about 3" of clearance to the side wall and is just about touching the couch, almost like an endtable would sit...is it to closed in? just a thought...

It's likely that the Yamaha is accurately responding to the signals it is receiving -- it is possible that the mic is in a place where a reverberant bass node is overpowering the direct wavefront, or there may be a delay in bass processing in either the Yamaha or in your sub or both. Using a longer than actual distance in your setup to force your system to 'early' the sub signal is not uncommon.

The easiest way to determine the fixed 'early' to apply to your sub signal is to place the sub right beside one of your mains, and to disable the other main either in setup or by pulling a wire. Now play a tone at your selected crossover frequency, and vary the distance setting of the sub -- start with the actual distance, then add 3 feet, then 6 feet, then 9 feet. Listen for maximum volume -- then try to 'fine it down' to the nearest foot if you can. Test with drum music -- the drum must be large enough to significantly involve the sub.

Whatever extra distance you end up with, add that on to the sub distance wherever you place it
SbWillie's Avatar SbWillie 07:01 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip A View Post

PB +/2 owner here--upgraded from an M&K v2b 12 (sealed)... running with the 20hz tune (one port blocked).

I've had it a couple weeks and worked through calibration and crawl tests to find the best spot (turns out front right corner-loaded yields no "nulls" in any of my listening positions). Ed at SVS has been such a stud helping me out...

Which brings me to my question/comment: I never hear anyone talk about the "Council scene" in FOTR EE. Everyone talks about the "ring drop" and the Mordor sequence (which are truly incredible). Still, I've never heard/felt/experienced anything quite like Frodo laying down the ring and Gandolf muttering in whatever language and the argument that ensues. I shave my head and it moves my stubble, I tell you!!! It is inexpressibly impressive--I had a sound engineer over from the University I work at and he brought his RTA with him to help me calibrate/evaluate. He was stunned and asked me where I got this sub. He was about to buy a studio Mackey (sp?), but is going to re-evaluate that after hear/feeling this +/2!

Does anyone know what hz that scene is? Is anyone else more impressed with this scene than others usually mentioned?

Hometheatre Forum has several LFE waterfalls from the movie (dozens actually) but NOT that sequence. Here's the 2 channel version (LFE will be similar but NOT exact!)

More that likely the strongest LOW freq.bass in that scene is 15-25 Hz. W'fall starts when Frodo walks up with the ring.

Philip A's Avatar Philip A 07:49 PM 01-21-2007
sbwillie--thanks for the waterfall! That's very helpful (even though it is not 5.1).

Any SVS owners have experience with the "ring council" scene to share?

I'm curious about others' take on this.
bimmerguy288's Avatar bimmerguy288 02:40 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv9200 View Post

Hello

I have my PB12 Plus hooked up to my Yamaha 2700. It's placed agaisnt a side wall. The distance from where I normally seat is abou 7-8' but the Yamaha's auto setup set it at 12 '. I changed it to 10' (don't ask me why). The receiver also set my front B&W CDM7 speakers and the rear B&W CDM1 speakers "large", and the crossover at 110. I mannually set all the speakers as 'small" and the crossover at 80. I haven't used a SPL meter to calibrate it it.
Paul_PDX's Avatar Paul_PDX 02:49 PM 01-22-2007
Hi - I have a PB10-ISD and am looking for a slightly smaller form factor to fit a home theater I am building --

How would the SB12+ compare as to sound output?
I really like how the PB10 works in that space except for the size. I am wondering if I should just avoid disappointment and give up the space in favor of a PB10-NSD?
(How does the NSD compare to my ISD??)
jpmst3's Avatar jpmst3 02:53 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_PDX View Post

Hi - I have a PB10-ISD and am looking for a slightly smaller form factor to fit a home theater I am building --

How would the SB12+ compare as to sound output?
I really like how the PB10 works in that space except for the size. I am wondering if I should just avoid disappointment and give up the space in favor of a PB10-NSD?
(How does the NSD compare to my ISD??)

It would take 2 or 3 SB12s to equal the PB-10 below 30 Hz. Above the 35 Hz the Sb12 plus will have an edge.
The guys at SVS can give a more accurate and technical comparison...
phillyfisher's Avatar phillyfisher 06:13 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

It would take 2 or 3 SB12s to equal the PB-10 below 30 Hz. Above the 35 Hz the Sb12 plus will have an edge.
The guys at SVS can give a more accurate and technical comparison...

2 or 3 -SB12+'s = 1-PB-10 ISD?
shelly's Avatar shelly 07:17 PM 01-22-2007
I have had the svs 20-39pc+ for several years.

I decided to try tuning it to a lower 16hz frequency bu can't get the top lid off.

Even tried to pry it up with a screwdriver.

Any tricks of the trade to help me get the top off so I can insert the port plug?
I'm assuming that the metal rim, not just the mesh inner rim, has to come up somehow.

Thanks.

Shelly
Juan's Avatar Juan 07:21 PM 01-22-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post

I have had the svs 20-39pc+ for several years.

I decided to try tuning it to a lower 16hz frequency bu can't get the top lid off.

Even tried to pry it up with a screwdriver.

Any tricks of the trade to help me get the top off so I can insert the port plug?
I'm assuming that the metal rim, not just the mesh inner rim, has to come up somehow.

Thanks.

Shelly

You are correct, the metal rim has to come up with the mesh. Mine were hard to take off as well.
Tags: Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop