Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 575 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

nirvy111's Avatar nirvy111
10:58 PM Liked: 28
post #17221 of 18965
07-02-2014 | Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbityGotz View Post
Just a little praise.
Running the SVS PB-1000 via LFE output via a Denon X-2000 AVR. Fronts and surrounds are DefTech ProMonitor 800's with DefTEch ProCenter 1000.

I have had several subs in my home in the past few years: AV123 MFW-15, PSA XV15(non-upgraded), Def Tech ProSub1000, Rythmik LV12R, and a couple others.
I just received a new SVS PB-1000 for my downstairs mid level home theater. Approximately 3300sq ft room with one doorway and drop ceiling.
I was a little hesitant to see if the PB-1000 could fill it but the CS rep convinced me it would be great.

Well, let me tell you it is more than great. Its accuracy and deep room-filling bass is probably the best I have had in my home. PSA is great and more power but the SVS is so "real" and accurate I can't believe my ears. No hum, no audio artifacts, no pops or crackles. Responds right away and wakes up very quickly when in "Auto" mode. The amp plate seems to run pretty cool too. My previous MFW-15 was hot enough to fry and egg even in standby mode!

Hurry up and grab one or two of these before they realize the price they are selling it at is a steal. LOL!
This is one phenomenal piece of AV equipment and I am more than happy with my purchase.

Good to hear. I ordered a pb-1000 just a couple of days ago, should have it tomorrow. The only subwoofers I've had previously were two budget velodnye 10 inchers and a couple of diy efforts and all were rubbish, just a lot of distortion really. Seems like I might actually get some decent bass this time, at the very least it should be an improvement.
r3v3nant's Avatar r3v3nant
11:44 PM Liked: 32
post #17222 of 18965
07-02-2014 | Posts: 305
I have a pb-1000 and love it also. Amazing sub!!
trog69's Avatar trog69
11:48 PM Liked: 31
post #17223 of 18965
07-02-2014 | Posts: 104
Wish I could say the same, but I did get the email saying they've shipped my SB12-NSD today! It splits the difference between the SB-1000 and SB-2000, and because it's from teh outlet, I got it for practically the same price as a SB-1000. Can't wait.
Tom Riddle's Avatar Tom Riddle
05:24 AM Liked: 98
post #17224 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post
You are one luck man.I would like to get my pb13-ultra soon hopeing by the middle of the summer i am just a few more bucks sort.good luck and let us know how it runs and your thought's.
I'm excited, that's for sure. SVS was very helpful throughout the entire process.
Hockeypucks's Avatar Hockeypucks
06:20 AM Liked: 49
post #17225 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by trog69 View Post
Wish I could say the same, but I did get the email saying they've shipped my SB12-NSD today! It splits the difference between the SB-1000 and SB-2000, and because it's from teh outlet, I got it for practically the same price as a SB-1000. Can't wait.
I compared the SB-1000 side by side with the SB12-NSD and to my ear, in my room, the SB-1000 sounds much better so that's the one I've kept. I'm very happy with it in my open floor plan living room that's roughly 14x19. For some reason I couldn't get the SB12-NSD to sound as good as the 1000 though I did like the piano gloss finish.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, every room and person is different. Just offering a bit of comparison between the two. The NSD sounded less powerful to me and not quite as controlled if that makes sense. I have a few placement options and still couldn't get it to match the quality of the 1000. I listen to everything except country (though mostly hard rock) so both subs had a variety of genres tested.

I feel I would have been happy with the NSD but I'm glad I did my comparison because that little SB-1000 is awesome!
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm
08:59 AM Liked: 566
post #17226 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
The PB13 Ultra is on the way!
Right after you hug your new sub (if you can get your arms around the beast) don't forget to hug your wife - always easier to buy a/v equipment with permission
Tom Riddle's Avatar Tom Riddle
09:21 AM Liked: 98
post #17227 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Right after you hug your new sub (if you can get your arms around the beast) don't forget to hug your wife - always easier to buy a/v equipment with permission
Lol. You're right about that.
trog69's Avatar trog69
10:23 AM Liked: 31
post #17228 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post
I compared the SB-1000 side by side with the SB12-NSD and to my ear, in my room, the SB-1000 sounds much better so that's the one I've kept. I'm very happy with it in my open floor plan living room that's roughly 14x19. For some reason I couldn't get the SB12-NSD to sound as good as the 1000 though I did like the piano gloss finish.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, every room and person is different. Just offering a bit of comparison between the two. The NSD sounded less powerful to me and not quite as controlled if that makes sense. I have a few placement options and still couldn't get it to match the quality of the 1000. I listen to everything except country (though mostly hard rock) so both subs had a variety of genres tested.

I feel I would have been happy with the NSD but I'm glad I did my comparison because that little SB-1000 is awesome!
I did have a bit of hesitancy about going with the older model rather than just sticking with the 1000. Finally, just as the SVS person indicated, it can easily go back and I'll try another. I'm slightly leaning towards thinking I'd be better off with a ported model, but we'll see. I only have this Polk Audio PSW505 to compare to, and I've never had a real sub before that one (the ones included with the Klipsch Pro-media 2.1 and 4.1 systems I also have are not in any way in the same league of course,) so it won't take that much to impress me. Just be faster in response, and eliminating the muddied sound I hear more often than not.

I'm already gotten over trying to get the same thump that caused my truck mirrors to fall off, so that's a good start. heh
10:33 AM Liked: 32
post #17229 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 305
I went from a PSW505 to the PB-1000 and could not be happier. The input sensitivity is a little less on the SVS so you'll probably have to turn the sub channel up a couple notches or run the gain around 2 or 3 o'clock on the SVS.. I run the hell out of mine and the amp plate barely and I mean BARELY gets warm after hours of use... it's one solid well built piece of hardware! As far as the sound, it's everything the 505 was and more, better, cleaner, tighter, just as low.. anyways..

edit: I need to wake up a bit and read these posts before posting... sheesh. so you're testing the SB12-NSD against the PB-1000 now. ok. well, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I tried the SB12-NSD also and did not like it as much... I think I just prefer the sound of ported subs.. I think HockeyPucks and I share the same feeling on this.

Quote:
I did have a bit of hesitancy about going with the older model rather than just sticking with the 1000. Finally, just as the SVS person indicated, it can easily go back and I'll try another. I'm slightly leaning towards thinking I'd be better off with a ported model, but we'll see. I only have this Polk Audio PSW505 to compare to, and I've never had a real sub before that one (the ones included with the Klipsch Pro-media 2.1 and 4.1 systems I also have are not in any way in the same league of course,) so it won't take that much to impress me. Just be faster in response, and eliminating the muddied sound I hear more often than not.

I'm already gotten over trying to get the same thump that caused my truck mirrors to fall off, so that's a good start. heh

trog69's Avatar trog69
11:37 AM Liked: 31
post #17230 of 18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
I went from a PSW505 to the PB-1000 and could not be happier. The input sensitivity is a little less on the SVS so you'll probably have to turn the sub channel up a couple notches or run the gain around 2 or 3 o'clock on the SVS.. I run the hell out of mine and the amp plate barely and I mean BARELY gets warm after hours of use... it's one solid well built piece of hardware! As far as the sound, it's everything the 505 was and more, better, cleaner, tighter, just as low.. anyways..

edit: I need to wake up a bit and read these posts before posting... sheesh. so you're testing the SB12-NSD against the PB-1000 now. ok. well, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I tried the SB12-NSD also and did not like it as much... I think I just prefer the sound of ported subs.. I think HockeyPucks and I share the same feeling on this.
No no, you're right; I'm going to compare it to the Polky I'm listening to now. In fact, I'm presently placing songs in a "Sub test" playlist to hear how the SB12 sounds compared to how it sounds now with the 505, with both songs that slam and sound great now, and those which I can easily detect muddy and/or slow response.

I do enjoy the thump from this ported sub, so that's what I'll be listening for. The fact that the SB12 will easily fit where the 505 is now is a big plus in a room this small. By all rights, you'd think that just about any well-built 12" sub should sound good such a tiny room. I'll find out after the 7/8 arrival and once it's been working for a bit. I will give the SB12 a good chance to wow me, because I am not the type that sends things back, willy-nilly. But I gotta get the sound I want, so I'll smack myself around until it's sent back. heheh
Hockeypucks's Avatar Hockeypucks
11:53 AM Liked: 49
post #17231 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 241
Quote:
No no, you're right; I'm going to compare it to the Polky I'm listening to now. In fact, I'm presently placing songs in a "Sub test" playlist to hear how the SB12 sounds compared to how it sounds now with the 505, with both songs that slam and sound great now, and those which I can easily detect muddy and/or slow response.

I do enjoy the thump from this ported sub, so that's what I'll be listening for. The fact that the SB12 will easily fit where the 505 is now is a big plus in a room this small. By all rights, you'd think that just about any well-built 12" sub should sound good such a tiny room. I'll find out after the 7/8 arrival and once it's been working for a bit. I will give the SB12 a good chance to wow me, because I am not the type that sends things back, willy-nilly. But I gotta get the sound I want, so I'll smack myself around until it's sent back. heheh
Very good philosophy, I also tested many subs at many times. SVS is one stellar company and I wouldn't want to do business anywhere else. I ended up very happy with my little SB-1000 for 2 channel listening and the pair of PC12-Plus for the dedicated theater in the basement. But at one point I had 8 SVS subs in house!

But I believe you'll be happy with anything you pick, seeing as you're coming from "lower end" subs.
11:55 AM Liked: 32
post #17232 of 18965
I found with the SB12-NSD I had to take it to clipping levels to get the same pound in the chest feeling I like out of a sub... which I didn't want to have to do on any sort of regular basis... the small footprint was great though, I have to admit. the PB-1000 just barely fits in the spot my 505 was in. whew.

Quote:

trog69's Avatar trog69
12:02 PM Liked: 31
post #17233 of 18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
I found with the SB12-NSD I had to take it to clipping levels to get the same pound in the chest feeling I like out of a sub... which I didn't want to have to do on any sort of regular basis... the small footprint was great though, I have to admit. the PB-1000 just barely fits in the spot my 505 was in. whew.
If I end up feeling that I'd be better off with a ported version, I'll wait until I get paid at the beginning of Aug.(Union-retiree) and go with either the PB-1000 or, for future-proofing get the PB-2000 instead.
12:07 PM Liked: 32
post #17234 of 18965
Quote:
If I end up feeling that I'd be better off with a ported version, I'll wait until I get paid at the beginning of Aug.(Union-retiree) and go with either the PB-1000 or, for future-proofing get the PB-2000 instead.
I was on the fence for about the 1000 or 2000. The 2000 was just not going to fit in the spot I had and I have messed with the room so much I just wanted something I could plant in the spot I had and be done with it.. Lukily it fit and worked awesome (sounds awesome there). I'm going to add another 1000 to the mix on the right side of the mains eventually... but for now, the single 1000 is doing a great job!
cchunter's Avatar cchunter
12:43 PM Liked: 561
post #17235 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 1,453
If you guys have the funds and need a small footprint I suggest the SB13 Ultra. I guarantee you will get the WOW factor
trog69's Avatar trog69
02:51 PM Liked: 31
post #17236 of 18965
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
If you guys have the funds and need a small footprint I suggest the SB13 Ultra. I guarantee you will get the WOW factor
No doubt about that. It'll be a while before I go that high up. First off will be two of whatever sub I end up with in the next month or two. For me it'll be manageable if I move the system out to the living room. I think that'll be sonic bliss for quite a while.
fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom
03:09 PM Liked: 202
post #17237 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Yup. Way better than single 12" SB, easily worth three times as much. I wouldn't choose two SB12 over a SBU13.
04:14 PM Liked: 561
post #17238 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Yup. Way better than single 12" SB, easily worth three times as much. I wouldn't choose two SB12 over a SBU13.
I agree. If you can afford two SB12's then get one Ultra instead. Trust us on this. You might even decide one of these will do the trick after getting it dialed in.
retro124's Avatar retro124
05:22 PM Liked: 252
post #17239 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 1,261
Quote:
I agree. If you can afford two SB12's then get one Ultra instead. Trust us on this. You might even decide one of these will do the trick after getting it dialed in.
100% agree, if all people who is looking for good sub can afford and get any Plus or Ultra model from SVS it is 1000% WOW factor and satisfactory guarantee. I never tried lower model from SVS but I think it is also pretty good compare other brands like Klipsch when I come from.
AllenA07's Avatar AllenA07
06:25 PM Liked: 89
post #17240 of 18965
07-03-2014 | Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
100% agree, if all people who is looking for good sub can get any Plus or Ultra model from SVS it is 1000% WOW factor and satisfactory guarantee.
Can't agree with this more.
joseph10704's Avatar joseph10704
05:40 PM Liked: 44
post #17241 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 292
Quote:
100% agree, if all people who is looking for good sub can afford and get any Plus or Ultra model from SVS it is 1000% WOW factor and satisfactory guarantee. I never tried lower model from SVS but I think it is also pretty good compare other brands like Klipsch when I come from.
You see i can get myself a pb12 plus right now.And like you said and yes while i agree with you for sure.My mind will just be telling me the whole time you should of went with the extra 200 more rms of subwoofer power in the ultra.While yes 800 wats rms is ALOT OF POWER.1000 watts RMS to me is a VERY VERY BIG DIFFERENCE.That being said the both driver's are so different.the pb13 driver is way much of a beast for sure.Then the form factor of the driver you get in a pb12 plus.This is the main reason i want a PB13-ULTRA more then a plus.watts is more and driver is bigger and stronger.But yes its true no matter what you go with plus or ultra.You will be blessed for sure.
06:36 PM Liked: 252
post #17242 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post
You see i can get myself a pb12 plus right now.And like you said and yes while i agree with you for sure.My mind will just be telling me the whole time you should of went with the extra 200 more rms of subwoofer power in the ultra.While yes 800 wats rms is ALOT OF POWER.1000 watts RMS to me is a VERY VERY BIG DIFFERENCE.That being said the both driver's are so different.the pb13 driver is way much of a beast for sure.Then the form factor of the driver you get in a pb12 plus.This is the main reason i want a PB13-ULTRA more then a plus.watts is more and driver is bigger and stronger.But yes its true no matter what you go with plus or ultra.You will be blessed for sure.
I understand it and I had it also same feeling as you. It was a reason why I bought 2 pluses and single ultra and played with them. To be honest with you I never even think about to keep 2 subs. Since I bought receiver with 2 subs input and start reading about it here a lot I like idea of dual subs more and more. Because of small footprint and looks Me and my wife decide to go with cylinder ones. Single Plus sound amazing and give you a plenty of nice clean deep base and it is enough for a lot of people including me. Single Ultra is even better but the best is dual. It is trully amazing!!! I played many action movie parts o er and over again with 1 Plus, 1Ultra, dual Pluses. My wife gad no idea what sub is hooked up and she also from what we can hear said now it sounds the best( dual Plus set up). I also talk to people here and on SVS Jack and Ed all said same keep dual Pluses over single Ultra. So when one more factor for Plus in my case is size of tube, Plus is a good looking sub Ultra tube was too much tall for me and last factor for me to keep dual Pluses was a price. Because I had problems with delivery, 2 subs arrived damaged I got amazing deal on Pluses ( 2 brand new for $949/each) so I had no reason to think about different set up.
Price discount was nice but I will keep dual Pluses even for a full price. If I will have HT room not livingroom as I do I will maybe think about dual Ultras.
You are right amp is stronger driver is bigger but I dont think between a Plus and Ultra is a very very big different, it is stronger a bit not a lot lot more. Dual Pluses outperform single Ultra so now I can say I have Ultra and little .
Price is also a factor for a lot if people a specially then you go dual so Like I said Plus or Ultra no disopoinment at all!!!!!!
Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head
08:00 PM Liked: 716
post #17243 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 2,016
Lots of sb13 ultras in the outlet. Save some $ http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials
cableguy301's Avatar cableguy301
08:57 PM Liked: 60
post #17244 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 448
Quote:

I looked at the sb13 u long and hard and the pc 12 plus for the small foot print ... but I decided to go with the psa xs15se and the more output and lower cost..

I got 2 psa xs15se subs to my door in Canada for less than the price of one sb13u... well its not at my door yet its on a truck somewhere he he

cheers
09:12 PM Liked: 252
post #17245 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy301 View Post
I looked at the sb13 u long and hard and the pc 12 plus for the small foot print ... but I decided to go with the psa xs15se and the more output and lower cost..

I got 2 psa xs15se subs to my door in Canada for less than the price of one sb13u... well its not at my door yet its on a truck somewhere he he

cheers
Congrats to your new twins , let us know how do you like them and we forgive you to not buying SVS
cableguy301's Avatar cableguy301
09:59 PM Liked: 60
post #17246 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 448
Quote:
Congrats to your new twins , let is know how do you like them and we forgive you to not buying SVS

thanks for the well wish Retro!!!

I was torn between the 2 for months and months... was a tuff decision...

cheers

twins
10:19 PM Liked: 561
post #17247 of 18965
07-04-2014 | Posts: 1,453
Quote:

cheers
Eww PSA! No comment lol. Congrats!
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
12:52 AM Liked: 434
post #17248 of 18965
07-05-2014 | Posts: 3,366
Quote:

cheers
Congrats. Seems like a hell of a deal. Keep us posted.
eljr's Avatar eljr
06:53 AM Liked: 1414
post #17249 of 18965
07-05-2014 | Posts: 4,390
Quote:
with all respect, I suggest two

I took one out of my main system for a week, you need two.

now I am happy again
AllenA07's Avatar AllenA07
09:04 AM Liked: 89
post #17250 of 18965
07-05-2014 | Posts: 501
Quote:

cheers
You should be happy with the PSA subs. I spent several months torn between PSA and HSU. My decision to get my pc12+ was a really last minute thing (I got the green light after 2 months of research to buy the HSU, and in 90 minutes changed my mind to an SVS sub I had done no research on). The PSA looked like a great value, and it seems that Tom took a lot of the warranty and customer service aspects of SVS with him to PSA.
Tags: Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread