post #17671 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3v3nant View Post
Hi all.. I have been enjoying my PB-1000 on the music only system in my sig... I noticed now a few times that when I am playing music very loud and the sub is pumping that I hear a rattle coming from the sub, like the port tubing is rattling inside of the enclosure... It's not shuffing, it's a rattle. I can hear it over the bass very easily.. my cat even heard it, he was on the couch with me and when the next CD came on with more bass and the rattle started he jumped down and started encroaching the sub in an inquisitive stalking manner. It seems to be getting worse now - happening at lower volumes. I guess it's time to contact SVS. I saw a thread from someone who was experiencing the same auditory anomaly on their pb-1000 but there was no resolution at the end of the thread. Anyone here have this issue? I know that port tubing is fairly long inside of the enclosure and takes a good bend.. I am guessing it's just a little loose or something?
Excluding port chuffing at high volumes, I've had bad noises coming out of my SVS subs a total of 4 times, 3 of which were defect. What you describe sounds a lot like number 4 in the list below:

1. One driver on a PB12-Plus was DOA, stuck. It only produced feeble, high-pitched sound. The whole sub was replaced pronto.
  2. Infamous grille peg problem on an SB12-NSD, causing an annoying rattle. SVS replaced the sub. Does your rattle stop if you remove the grille?
  3. PC12-NSD buzzing on a hard floor at high levels. Putting a rubber mat underneath solved the problem.
  4. PC12-NSD driver busted; looks like the cone detached form the voice coil former, and the VC former was just hitting the cone instead of driving it properly. I also thought this was the port rattling but the driver was at fault. SVS quickly shipped a new driver and we replaced it easily.
Here are two private Youtube videos of #4 if you want to compare with your situation:

EDIT: barring a rattle coming from your floor / room instead of the sub itself, yes, I think it's time to contact SVS.
cableguy301 likes this.

Last edited by neutro; Yesterday at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17672 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Sorry to hear it you have this problem with it. How old is the sub? Call SVS I think it is bigeer problem then just some different set up.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17673 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPTON80 View Post
I set the crossovers to 80hz on the pb13. Did the test where you shut it off and see what you're missing. My wife said there is no difference. So I played some kind of hip hop and it made itself very present. This kind of concerns me because it doesn't show up until I make it show up with extreme content. I'm wondering if something smaller and cheaper or maybe dual may be the way to go?
The sub is only going to play the frequencies from 80Hz down. Watching regular TV, my sub kicks on every so often. Do you have the ability to play YouTube through your system? If so, play a Bass Frequency Test through your system. That will show you where the sub plays. Or, does your AVR play Test Tones? If so, see how loud EMO-Q has set your sub. Or you can burn a disc with some bass-heavy songs on it. Might not be your genre, but it will send signals to your sub. I don't have Room Correction software and just use an SPL meter. I set all speakers to 75Hz. This way, all of my speakers, including my sub, will play at that level. I do know that people who use Audessey usually will kick the sub up 3-5db.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17674 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Hi all.. I have been enjoying my PB-1000 on the music only system in my sig... I noticed now a few times that when I am playing music very loud and the sub is pumping that I hear a rattle coming from the sub, like the port tubing is rattling inside of the enclosure... It's not shuffing, it's a rattle. I can hear it over the bass very easily.. my cat even heard it, he was on the couch with me and when the next CD came on with more bass and the rattle started he jumped down and started encroaching the sub in an inquisitive stalking manner. It seems to be getting worse now - happening at lower volumes. I guess it's time to contact SVS. I saw a thread from someone who was experiencing the same auditory anomaly on their pb-1000 but there was no resolution at the end of the thread. Anyone here have this issue? I know that port tubing is fairly long inside of the enclosure and takes a good bend.. I am guessing it's just a little loose or something?

I think that was me. I commented a little while back that I noticed a rattle from my pb-1000 when I first did a calibration sweep and could hear it on certain bass frequencies during movies. I talked to svs and they got me to pull the driver and amp out and run them outside the box just to see if the noise was coming from the box or from the driver, turns out it was the driver. They told me that it shouldn't be doing that and to send it back. I ended up exchanging it for the pb-2000 though. I live in Australia and we don't have 45 day return policy here but fortunately my dealer allowed me to swap it so it all worked out o.k but I never found out what the actual problem was, my guess is a manufacturing fault given that you seem to have the exact same problem. The pb-2000 I have doesn't make any such noises and sounds rock solid, with the exception of some port chuffing but that's a different issue.

Last edited by nirvy111; Yesterday at 08:33 AM.
post #17675 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for the replies all! Now that I really listen to it it does seem to be coming from the driver. I noticed the bass has sounded off a bit since I first noticed it, just slightly different. I'll contact SVS today. Oh, the sub is only a few months old. And nirvy111 - yeah that was your thread and I guess I skipped through the bit where you pulled the sub apart. doh! I was a little tired last night but I remember you saying the PB-2000 blew your socks off.

Anyways.. I am not really worried about it, I know SVS stands behind their product like no other so we'll get it sorted out. I thought they had limiters on their amps to prevent the driver from being over driven? The first time I noticed it the driver excursion was pretty intense, so I bet something detached in the back... I'm pretty good at taking things apart and rebuilding so if they want me to investigate it should be no problem. I'll let you all know what happens! ...and thanks again! AVSforum peeps are the best!
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #17676 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Anyways.. I am not really worried about it, I know SVS stands behind their product like no other so we'll get it sorted out.
Yeah no worries here. They should replace the sub or send you a new driver without any charge.

Quote:
I thought they had limiters on their amps to prevent the driver from being over driven? The first time I noticed it the driver excursion was pretty intense, so I bet something detached in the back...
They have -- I've been told that when the VC former detaches from the cone, this is a (rare) manufacturing problem, not necessarily caused by the sub being overdriven or bottoming out. In my case, I noticed the problem first when playing at relatively low levels. SVS drivers are made to sustain very large excursion without problem -- it's pretty impressive.

Good luck!
cableguy301 likes this.

post #17677 of 17689 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks! I emailed them and asked if I should pull the driver out and inspect. The sound is more like a weird chirping sound than a rattle.. but when bass notes that vibrate play it did sound like a chirpy rattle.. I'll let you all know what happens.

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
post #17678 of 17689 Old Today, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yessss...my SB13ultra should be at my doors tomorrow, sooner than i thought . So today i have disconnected one of my sb12nsd and delivered it to my brother...i have just tested how it sounds with just one sub and i can hear that something is missing...it is just weird...far less impact and it seems like there is a hole in my soundstage and everything sounds like is weighted to the side where the sub is...it really is that once you go dual you just cant get back to one sub...anyone who is tempted to get a second sub just get it if you can it is really is a big difference in soundstage...so i hope i really hope that sb12 and sb13 ultra will be good friends in my room because i just dont want to get another ultra and have 3k EUR just in subs no way...hope it will work well...i have a good filling as i dont listen louder than -15 or -10 occassionally and i didnt hit limiter with both sb12...but i will see...fingers crossed
post #17679 of 17689 Old Today, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
Yessss...my SB13ultra should be at my doors tomorrow, sooner than i thought . So today i have disconnected one of my sb12nsd and delivered it to my brother...i have just tested how it sounds with just one sub and i can hear that something is missing...it is just weird...far less impact and it seems like there is a hole in my soundstage and everything sounds like is weighted to the side where the sub is...it really is that once you go dual you just cant get back to one sub...anyone who is tempted to get a second sub just get it if you can it is really is a big difference in soundstage...so i hope i really hope that sb12 and sb13 ultra will be good friends in my room because i just dont want to get another ultra and have 3k EUR just in subs no way...hope it will work well...i have a good filling as i dont listen louder than -15 or -10 occassionally and i didnt hit limiter with both sb12...but i will see...fingers crossed
I replaced my SB12 (just one) in a 3600 cu ft room with a SB13 about a month ago. You're not going to believe the difference.
tommaazz likes this.
post #17680 of 17689 Old Today, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post
I replaced my SB12 (just one) in a 3600 cu ft room with a SB13 about a month ago. You're not going to believe the difference.
Wow thanks that is really nice to hear . Did you also have 2xsb12?
post #17681 of 17689 Old Today, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 115
yes I remember when I tried my NSD by itself. Wasn't what I thought a $750 subwoofer would sound like. But as soon as I paired it with my Klipsch. WOAH BOY!

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #17682 of 17689 Old Today, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
Wow thanks that is really nice to hear . Did you also have 2xsb12?
Nope, just the one so can't give you any idea how they'll do together. FWIW I always loved the SB12 but the room was just a little too large for it so I finally said what the hey and got the SB13. Love it
post #17683 of 17689 Old Today, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post
Nope, just the one so can't give you any idea how they'll do together. FWIW I always loved the SB12 but the room was just a little too large for it so I finally said what the hey and got the SB13. Love it
I think they migth work well together...sure the ultra will have more output but i think the sb12 will smooth the response and even the weight of the sub on frontstage.If they wont work well together i can always sell the sb12 but i have a feeling that wont be neccessary...better 2 than 1 and they are both sealed...i have audyssey xt32 with subeq HT so that will help a lot too
post #17684 of 17689 Old Today, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

An SB13 and SB12 will sound amazing together with XT32. I have a 12NSD and RW12d with XT32 and it does a great job smoothing it out. Those 2 are so far apart in what they do.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
post #17685 of 17689 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 915
I just took one ultra out of my 2.2 system. I am loving it right now.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #17686 of 17689 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 171
How about a SB Ultra 13 and SB12+ The only REQ is antimode 8033cinema. So it won't EQ individually just as a whole. 800 cut foot room. So tiny, I bet I don't run out of headroom on SB12+ alone

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #17687 of 17689 Old Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I thought about running a SB2000 with my SB13 Ultra to give me that little extra push and save a few bucks besides. I just wonder if the 2000 will have to be turned way down so it doesn't run out of gas when I'm pushing it hard. Guess I could contact SVS and see what they say. I would also run the 2000 nearfield maybe on the side of couch.

Denon AVR 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #17688 of 17689 Old Today, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

I think the SB2000 would be perfect with the SB13. They both seem to go down to a similar frequency. I'm guessing the 13 is just that much more powerful all the way through?

It would add just that little extra punch, you might love it! See with mine one goes down to 19 and the other only to 26 so the NSD has to handle the real lows by itself. But I like it that way, it's cheap. And I get lows, plus punchy mid bass.

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
post #17689 of 17689 Old Today, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I thought about running a SB2000 with my SB13 Ultra to give me that little extra push and save a few bucks besides. I just wonder if the 2000 will have to be turned way down so it doesn't run out of gas when I'm pushing it hard. Guess I could contact SVS and see what they say. I would also run the 2000 nearfield maybe on the side of couch.
I will report how sb13 and sb12 work together...but i wont have it calibrated till next week probably (with audyssey). My room is around 1600 cubic feet and 2xsb12 were runing 6db hot (with audyssey ref. level offset at -10-because of surround boost) and i havent seen any limiter light turning on during heavy bass scenes at -10 on master volume...i have subs around 9-10 feet from listening position so nearfiled would be awesome...two subs are really the way to go . But beware once you go dual there is no turning back...you have a filing that something is missing in soundstage with only one sub runing when you taste dual subs

Last edited by tommaazz; Today at 10:28 PM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Speaker Systems , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page