post #17701 of 18331 Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Looks like it's the SBA sub Thanks! Always found it pretty and always wondered what model that was.

... So will you order a second SB13-Ultra then?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17702 of 18331 Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
SVS have replied to my question regarding SB Ultra 13 and SB12+. Basically said not a good idea.
Well does that mean that mixing a sb12 and sb13ultra is not a good idea either? Now that i have calibrated the system it sounds good but the ultra is very powerful and rumbles all the time while the sb12 not despite they being calibrated to the same level...guess the ultra extends much lower no wonder that everything is shaking i think i will have to ask that question to svs too about mixing my subs...

Last edited by tommaazz; 08-22-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #17703 of 18331 Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 199
You have individual and totalled subwoofer EQ though. If I were to have the two, one sub would diasy chain off the next one.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #17704 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Well i have done some tests with music and movies with both subs...sb13ultra and sb12nsd and i can tell you that there is a difference using just sb13 or using both. The sb12 adds enough punch and overall volume and fullness of the sound that it sounds awesome with both subs...i can feel the more balanced and fuller sound using both subs and that was immediately noticed as i turned a sb12 on. I have one sub in left and one in the right corner and they are apart approximately 11 ffet. So my final decision isabsolutely to use both...they are a good match and sb12nsd adds that impact and fullness of sound of having two subs :-D now i am going to watch a movie and enyoy both subs as it sound awesome especially because of having ultra in the mix it is the sound that i allways wanted it is such a great sub :-D
post #17705 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
Well i have done some tests with music and movies with both subs...sb13ultra and sb12nsd and i can tell you that there is a difference using just sb13 or using both. The sb12 adds enough punch and overall volume and fullness of the sound that it sounds awesome with both subs...i can feel the more balanced and fuller sound using both subs and that was immediately noticed as i turned a sb12 on. I have one sub in left and one in the right corner and they are apart approximately 11 ffet. So my final decision isabsolutely to use both...they are a good match and sb12nsd adds that impact and fullness of sound of having two subs :-D now i am going to watch a movie and enyoy both subs as it sound awesome especially because of having ultra in the mix it is the sound that i allways wanted it is such a great sub :-D
Nice to hear it you like them together!!!, Yes it is nice to have a 2 subs for sure, bass all over room can't tell where it is coming from!!!
tommaazz likes this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17706 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Nice to hear it you like them together!!!, Yes it is nice to have a 2 subs for sure, bass all over room can't tell where it is coming from!!!
well at loud listening levels there is a little difference as the sound is a little more oriented toward the right corner where the ultra is but that is to be expected as the ultra is far more powerful...for my listening levels around -15 (very rarely towards -12) i am very satisfied with the sb12 in mix with sb13...in fact the sound has so much weight and punch than before that i have found myself watching movies a few dbs higher from reference as before (around -20- (-22) for now, when before i was at around -15- (-18)). I still letting the ultra to settle in and havent crank it up much...i will calibrate it again in around two weeks. Also the music sounds miles better than with 2x sb12 it is incredible that there is such a vast difference from adding a superb sub in the mix...the music now has weight and punch that i really like and never heard before . I say again SB13ULTRA IS REALLY AN INCREDIBLE SUB PERIOD, i now i sound repettitive but adding ultra to the mix it made my whole system sounds like i never heard it before, ever,it is just a whole new level!!! I was never so impressed from adding a new component in the mix as i am now (and i have been in love in this hobby for 15 years)...
retro124 likes this.
post #17707 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
well at loud listening levels there is a little difference as the sound is a little more oriented toward the right corner where the ultra is but that is to be expected as the ultra is far more powerful...for my listening levels around -15 (very rarely towards -12) i am very satisfied with the sb12 in mix with sb13...in fact the sound has so much weight and punch than before that i have found myself watching movies a few dbs higher from reference as before (around -20- (-22) for now, when before i was at around -15- (-18)). I still letting the ultra to settle in and havent crank it up much...i will calibrate it again in around two weeks. Also the music sounds miles better than with 2x sb12 it is incredible that there is such a vast difference from adding a superb sub in the mix...the music now has weight and punch that i really like and never heard before . I say again SB13ULTRA IS REALLY AN INCREDIBLE SUB PERIOD, i now i sound repettitive but adding ultra to the mix it made my whole system sounds like i never heard it before, ever,it is just a whole new level!!! I was never so impressed from adding a new component in the mix as i am now (and i have been in love in this hobby for 15 years)...
I'm glad they play well together and you like the combo. I'm still on the fence on integrating a SB2000 with my Ultra. Just not sure if it will be worth it or just wait it out till next year until I have the capital for another Ultra.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #17708 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Super to hear it, nice to know it work for you. The best is have 2 same subs ( this what SVS guys told me) but longest it work for you like this why not. I'm sure if you focus on it at high volume you will probably know is coming more from Ultra ( and it does) but maybe it is just now excited factor about Ultra sub and maybe it will go away later on so it will feel even better. I'm sure it was a shock how good is Ultra sub I had same experiance I can't believe it for a long time. I still can not believe how happy am I to have dual SVS subs!!!!
tommaazz likes this.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17709 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I'm glad they play well together and you like the combo. I'm still on the fence on integrating a SB2000 with my Ultra. Just not sure if it will be worth it or just wait it out till next year until I have the capital for another Ultra.
Chad just try it, nothing easier then get SB2000 and have some 45 days playing time and you will see. If not you can get later on second Ultra and I will prefer myself second option little more( but it is just me). Tommaazz I believe was already owner of SB-2000 and out of US all is harder exchange subs and all around so I'm glad it work for him.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17710 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Chad just try it, nothing easier then get SB2000 and have some 45 days playing time and you will see. If not you can get later on second Ultra and I will prefer myself second option little more( but it is just me). Tommaazz I believe was already owner of SB-2000 and out of US all is harder exchange subs and all around so I'm glad it work for him.
+1 couldn agree more.if i was from the states I would try ultra before and would for sure keep it there is no way i would return such a great sub :-) i had 2xsb12nsd and havent had sb2000. I can tell you that in my room and being around 11 feet apart they play nice together and the difference is immediately felt when the sb12 starts playing with the ultra. You have nothing to lose you can upgrade later if you dont like it because of such a nice privileges from SVS in the USA. I can also tell that it is hard to go from 2 subs to 1,there is no turning back. And i am glad that the subs work together as they are because the ultra is really expensive in europe. sadly i dont have any rew experiences neither microphone to measure them in my room but only by my ear i am extremely happy :-D probably audyssey xt32 on my sr7008 helps too. Will try to post a picture of my setup later as i am in bed and cant sleep right now thats why i am writing this :-) ...damn.guess i am so excited to turn on my system and listen to ultra that i cant sleep ;-)

Last edited by tommaazz; 08-23-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #17711 of 18331 Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is this thread also for SVS speakers? There's so much talk about the subs and hardly any mention of the speakers. I thought there was another thread for SVS Subs. Am I in the wrong place?
post #17712 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So how does this work? I'm am in my 45 day trial on the PB13 ULTRA. Honestly, I have come to love this monster. The only issue is my neighbors. Normally I wouldn't care and continue to crank it up. But they are great and wanna stay on their good side. So this presents a good question which may have been asked previously. Say if I wanted to keep it at a lower listening level what would be most effective? 2 SB-13 ULTRAs or stay with the PB13? I know you get more headroom w/ 2, from my understanding but won't go as low as the PB13. I also know its rare to find such low content for general use, music. So by having 2 with a very open room, allow you to be more engulfed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140820_190524_1408881240325.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	226770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140820_190501_1408881287258.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	226778   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140820_190414_1408881312074.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	226786  
post #17713 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPTON80 View Post
So how does this work? I'm am in my 45 day trial on the PB13 ULTRA. Honestly, I have come to love this monster. The only issue is my neighbors. Normally I wouldn't care and continue to crank it up. But they are great and wanna stay on their good side. So this presents a good question which may have been asked previously. Say if I wanted to keep it at a lower listening level what would be most effective? 2 SB-13 ULTRAs or stay with the PB13? I know you get more headroom w/ 2, from my understanding but won't go as low as the PB13. I also know its rare to find such low content for general use, music. So by having 2 with a very open room, allow you to be more engulfed?
Well bad news is any SVS Ultra sub will upset your neighbors. Your room with open kitchen is pretty big so I will stay with PB13-Ultra (if you are more movies guy). SB13-Ultra a specially dual will be very nice so as dual PB13-Ultra, your room is pretty big rooms and it is also about what you have sub for, movies or music? Or are you planning later on add second PB13-Ultra? Dual subs will be nice upgrade for sure, nice smooth bass all over the room. Well better question is how did you set up your sub, are you running sub very hot? Maybe lower sub volume or sub volume on AVR will help.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17714 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm really concerned about those you who are mixing dissimilar dual subs in hope of getting better even frequency responses in your theatres. Ed Mullen already said that each sub has different phase response and mixing the two dissimilar subs will cancel each others frequency response creating a combing effect in the frequency response. It could be skewed one way or several limited due to the phase cancellation going on. Say the 40Hz frequency from Sub1 will have positive polarity( or a lorger phase angle due to the electronics in the sub) but that same 40Hz from Sub2 will have a larger phase angle or have negative polarity depending on where you've placed in in the room and the combined cancel out creating a null that you can't get rid of at all. Unless you have a unit that phase/time aligns your subs like the AS-EQ1 which SVS sold(but I have) but sadly discontinued, you are simply out of luck.

I'm not familiar with Audyssey tools, so I not sure if they time-align multiple sub, Others most familiar with Audyssey could chime in here ....

Would you mix your fronts mains that way? would you have a Martin-Logan(ML) Electrostatic(Summit X, $14K) for the left front and an ML Electro-Motion for the right($2,195)? Both individually sound great for the rooms and audiences they were designed for but together in the same room, the sound wouldn't be so great. The tonality would be way off. NO amount of level EQ or PEQ would get them to sound great together.

Another case I point ....We all also know that we don't use speakers for the center channel and the mains... The tonality (mainly from the center speaker) would be so very different from the mains that no amount of EQ would solve that problem at all. And since most sound for movies is mixed into the center speaker, it will stand out like a sore thumb and you'll hate it.

So, I implore you to use similar subs if you are using dual subs designed with the same phase and amplitude response. I know costs are a huge matter but since you've decided to go dual anyways, you've already made the choice to spend the extra $$$ for the sub.

I personally have dual SB13U and my 1300sqf room and they are indeed superb. Even at very low listening levels, when I'm working on my laptop, I hear gentle, deep rumbling that seemingly come from nowhere ... and this is from HD cable TV material!!! On HQ Bluray material, its just awesone.

SB2000 were extremely well reviewed a few months ago as well so these would make an super and excellent pair as well. I'm sure their ported cousins(PB2000) would perform just as good if not better.

Sorry for the long post but I feel so strongly about this matter. Yes, you may want to save money overall, but you end up compromising your home theatre system in the end.

- David
sharp10 and B 26354 like this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #17715 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 524
I agree especially mixing sealed with ported but from what I've researched it can be done if you have the right measuring equipment and know what your doing. I posted a few back about mixing the SB2000 with my SB13 Ultra. Using the 2000 near field for a little extra thump and more even bass throughout the room. Seeing as they are both sealed and my room is only 2000 cu ft I wouldn't think it would be that hard to make them play well together. Then again it might not be worth it.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #17716 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What about MCAAC? I don't have any experience with it but doesn't it phase correct everything?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #17717 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I recently got the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, but feel that it's not improved my home theater system as much as expected, so I'm looking for some advice, see below:

I have the following setup:

* Marantz SR-7008 A/V receiver
* Monitor Audio Silver 1 Front speakers
* Monitor Audio Silver 1 Center speaker
* Monitor Audio Radius 90 Surround speakers
* SVS SB-1000 subwoofer

I got the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer to extend the lower frequency range of my system. However now that I've tried it out for a couple of weeks, I don't feel it adds as much as expected. I do notice presence of somewhat lower frequencies when there is e.g. explosions or spaceships taking off in movies. But it's no huge difference if I turn the subwoofer off.

Since the front speakers are bookshelf speakers (lowest frequency is 45 Hz according to the tech specs), I imagined there would be a greater difference. I've tried positioning the subwoofer in different locations, without much difference.

So I just wonder if I maybe was expecting too much? Could I perhaps be doing something wrong with the setup? Or do I have to get a larger subwoofer, or one that is ported like the SVS PB-1000? My listening room is around 25 m^2 (~2500 feet^2).

Please let me know what you think.
post #17718 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hi,

I recently got the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer, but feel that it's not improved my home theater system as much as expected, so I'm looking for some advice, see below:

* SVS SB-1000 subwoofer

I got the SVS SB-1000 subwoofer to extend the lower frequency range of my system. However now that I've tried it out for a couple of weeks, I don't feel it adds as much as expected. I do notice presence of somewhat lower frequencies when there is e.g. explosions or spaceships taking off in movies. But it's no huge difference if I turn the subwoofer off.

Since the front speakers are bookshelf speakers (lowest frequency is 45 Hz according to the tech specs), I imagined there would be a greater difference. I've tried positioning the subwoofer in different locations, without much difference.

So I just wonder if I maybe was expecting too much? Could I perhaps be doing something wrong with the setup? Or do I have to get a larger subwoofer, or one that is ported like the SVS PB-1000? My listening room is around 25 m^2 (~2500 feet^2).

Your asking a lot of a sb1000 in that room.
The sb1000 is great for adding depth to music and somewhat to movies but the best case with a sb1000 is good output to 30 hertz but will drop off like a rock after that in a room that size.

I would definitely look into a pb1000 if thats the price range your at, personally I have 2 pc12+s and ran them in sealed mode and compared to 16hz tune its a joke as far as movie bass goes and my room is 2700cf

Last edited by jwtallguy; 08-24-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #17719 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

* SVS SB-1000 subwoofer

You have nice AVR and speakers and they deserve better sub for sure.I agree with jwtallguy it is a little sub for room like this. You need to ask yourself: More music or movies? Are you planning to get second sub later on? And what is your budget? I also have dual PC12-Pluses and I love them together but I understand budget can be a issue.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17720 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy View Post
Your asking a lot of a sb1000 in that room.
The sb1000 is great for adding depth to music and somewhat to movies but the best case with a sb1000 is good output to 30 hertz but will drop off like a rock after that in a room that size.

I would definitely look into a pb1000 if thats the price range your at, personally I have 2 pc12+s and ran them in sealed mode and compared to 16hz tune its a joke as far as movie bass goes and my room is 2700cf
I also have dual Pluses cylinders so you run them sealed or 16hz? Just don't understand your post 100% thanks.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17721 of 18331 Old 08-24-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I also have dual Pluses cylinders so you run them sealed or 16hz? Just don't understand your post 100% thanks.
I currently run them in 16hz but have tested them sealed and in a room my size they dont come close to filling my needs under 30 hertz while in sealed tune.

All in all they are still just 2 12" drivers and they have their limits and in my room they just reach 115 db@20 hertz and 108 @16 hz while in 16 hertz tune
post #17722 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

* SVS SB-1000 subwoofer

You need to move up to a higher output sub, PB2000 I'd say.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #17723 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree especially mixing sealed with ported but from what I've researched it can be done if you have the right measuring equipment and know what your doing. I posted a few back about mixing the SB2000 with my SB13 Ultra. Using the 2000 near field for a little extra thump and more even bass throughout the room. Seeing as they are both sealed and my room is only 2000 cu ft I wouldn't think it would be that hard to make them play well together. Then again it might not be worth it.

CCHunter:

At some point in time, the SB2K will take a back seat to the SB13U due to the differences in SPL outputs and frequency response at those outputs. You'd only be able to hear the SB13 at loud levels where its located. At those levels, the Sb2K could bottom out or produce such high distortion levels while the SB13 is just coasting. The combination of the two at loud SPLs will be unpleasant.

Also, do you have combined room frequency plot of for both subs in your room?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #17724 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

* SVS SB-1000 subwoofer

IMHO, for that room size get dual SB2000 or dual PB2000, both of which were well reviewed and liked. If you can swing the money, get dual SB13 ultras for they are very musical and play deep as well. Regardless get duals to even out the frequency response for a room that large.

http://referencehometheater.com/revi...b-2000-review/

Last edited by dmusoke; 08-25-2014 at 09:48 AM.
post #17725 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
CCHunter:

At some point in time, the SB2K will take a back seat to the SB13U due to the differences in SPL outputs and frequency response at those outputs. You'd only be able to hear the SB13 at loud levels where its located. At those levels, the Sb2K could bottom out or produce such high distortion levels while the SB13 is just coasting. The combination of the two at loud SPLs will be unpleasant.

Also, do you have combined room frequency plot of for both subs in your room?
If you value frequency response over output, then it's absolutely ok to use a weaker sub to smooth out your room.

I use a pair of SB12 with a pair of sealed 18's. There is no way the svs subs can match the output of the 18's, so I only use them as fill subs. They are used only over a narrow frequency range, with limited gain to smooth my room response. Happy to report they work great in that capacity.
B 26354 likes this.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #17726 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
If you value frequency response over output, then it's absolutely ok to use a weaker sub to smooth out your room.

I use a pair of SB12 with a pair of sealed 18's. There is no way the svs subs can match the output of the 18's, so I only use them as fill subs. They are used only over a narrow frequency range, with limited gain to smooth my room response. Happy to report they work great in that capacity.
Curious ... would you have a FR plot for your room? Are the SB12s used as mid-bass drivers where they'll have far more output and lower distortion?

post #17727 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
What about MCAAC? I don't have any experience with it but doesn't it phase correct everything?
Last time I checked, MCACC doesn't EQ the sub (but it does adjust delay I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Is this thread also for SVS speakers? There's so much talk about the subs and hardly any mention of the speakers. I thought there was another thread for SVS Subs. Am I in the wrong place?
Sure, you're welcome to talk about SVS speakers in this thread! There are probably other threads focusing specifically on the speakers though. Statistically speaking you are more likely to encounter sub owners here but we see speaker talk from time to time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPTON80 View Post
Say if I wanted to keep it at a lower listening level what would be most effective? 2 SB-13 ULTRAs or stay with the PB13? I know you get more headroom w/ 2, from my understanding but won't go as low as the PB13. I also know its rare to find such low content for general use, music. So by having 2 with a very open room, allow you to be more engulfed?
You pretty much have it right: with dual SB13, you'll have more uniform bass, and while they won't go as deep as the PB13, this also means it will be less easy to annoy the neighbors. That being said I agree that dual SB13 can play loud enough to annoy any neighbor even if they lack sub-20 Hz output. If your focus is on music it might be a good idea to go dual SB13. However you seem to really like the PB13 and it's an awesome sub, so keeping it also sounds like a good idea.

If you're in the US and have some space on your credit card, you could order dual SB13s, and try them at the same time as you PB13. Return the subs you don't want before the 45 days limit.

post #17728 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Curious ... would you have a FR plot for your room? Are the SB12s used as mid-bass drivers where they'll have far more output and lower distortion?
I'm at work, and the FR plot is on a home computer.

I use sb12's for primarily low bass in the 30-80Hz range. They go cleanly down to 20Hz, but 18's don't need any help down there so the sb12's are HPF @ 30Hz for one, and 40Hz for the other. -12, -19 gain so they are not being pushed hard at all, but just enough to fill some dips.

I followed the Geddes approach to sub setup, that states you only need 3 subs for great bass, and they don't have to be the same sub.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
post #17729 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Last time I checked, MCACC doesn't EQ the sub (but it does adjust delay I think).

Sure, you're welcome to talk about SVS speakers in this thread! There are probably other threads focusing specifically on the speakers though. Statistically speaking you are more likely to encounter sub owners here but we see speaker talk from time to time

You pretty much have it right: with dual SB13, you'll have more uniform bass, and while they won't go as deep as the PB13, this also means it will be less easy to annoy the neighbors. That being said I agree that dual SB13 can play loud enough to annoy any neighbor even if they lack sub-20 Hz output. If your focus is on music it might be a good idea to go dual SB13. However you seem to really like the PB13 and it's an awesome sub, so keeping it also sounds like a good idea.

If you're in the US and have some space on your credit card, you could order dual SB13s, and try them at the same time as you PB13. Return the subs you don't want before the 45 days limit.
Neutro ...I beg to differ a bit regarding the SB13 low end content ability. Yes, one SB13 will be outclassed by a PB13 any day. But in my case, as I have dual SB13U's which has level and phase/time-aligned by SVS's sadly discontinued AS-EQ1, I get plenty of sub-20Hz output that rattle things off the walls (and its not loud bass) and my couch which I'm sitting on. The latter I find very amusing and pleasantly puzzling at the same time. My room is 2500 ft^2 .

Have I annoyed the neighbors? Multiple times(punks they are) but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my music and movies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before and After Phase-Time Alignment.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	229449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Sub EQ with ARC.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	229457  

Last edited by dmusoke; 08-25-2014 at 03:54 PM.
post #17730 of 18331 Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

actually I'm pretty sure the SB go lower, do they not? if PB13 is ported to 20hz, frequency drops like a stone below port tune, but SB does not. Only if you plug the port to 16hz or so.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page