AVS Forum banner
3M views 37K replies 3K participants last post by  dfiler 
#1 ·

If this thread already exists, please disregard. I looked, but couldn't find it.

I recently purchased a PB Plus/2, and have been itching to share my experience so far. Here's my 5.1 set-up:

Denon AVR 5803 (Purchased Used)

Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray Player (Analog 5.1 Outputs)

Samsung 5687 DLP

GR Research A/V3S x 3

GR Research A/V1RS x 2

SVS PB Plus/2

PURE AV Power conditioner

Listening area is 14x17x8 living room with one 8' opening to kitchen/dining area, and one opening to hallway, laminate floor with large area rug, SVS position is RF corner next to ent center (very limited in where I could put it), listening position is center of 14' wall across from TV, Not an ideal HT room, but could be worse.

Settings:

All speakers set to 75 db, with SVS running hot at about 82 db

SVS Gain at 1/4, 20 hz tune (one port plug), used the included 3M rubber feet

LFE pre-out on Denon is -2.0 db

Listening is 90/10 Movies to Music

After more research than I care to get into, I settled on the Velodyne HGS 15x and the SVS PB Plus/2. I actually ordered the Velodyne, but it was discontinued. I had decided on the Velodyne mostly because of the smaller size and the positive experience a relative of mine has had with his. The SVS and the Velodyne seemed to be close in performance based on what I had read, but

the size of the SVS was scaring me off. WAF. She's been very patient with my hobby. After the Velodyne fell through, I decided to order the SVS rather than looking elsewhere for the Velodyne. Got the size past the wife by telling her it was a lot cheaper than the Velo. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Support from SVS before, during, and after the sale has been outstanding. It was shipped fast, and arrived on it's own pallet, very well packaged. The manual and set-up were a snap. I have since contacted SVS a couple times with questions and comments, and they always reply quickly and seem very interested in my impression of their product. Not to mention the money I saved by going with the SVS.

It's performance so far has been excellent. I had a Klipsch KSW 15 prior to the SVS, and let me tell you, this thing blows it away, and the Klipsch was no slouch. From the sock explosion in Monsters Inc. to the Tripods in WOTW, I'm lovin my new toy.

Sorry if this was a puff piece, and again, I hope an owners thread doesn't already exist. If so, let me have it, if not, lets hear about your SVS!

See less See more
#11,881 ·

Quote:
It did have some great LFE but the movie itself sucked! IMO of course biggrin.gif

I enjoyed it thoroughly. This movie is perfect example where one doesn't need gore or throat slashing for chilling fear down the spine. All the goose bumps excited only by amazing use of LFE.

#11,882 ·
Greetings all...

My SVS PB13-Ultra keeps blowing fuses. I am the original owner and it was purchased in Jan 2009. Until now, I have never had any issues with it and it was still running on its original/factory fuse. Today, after noticing no bass being output...I first checked the fuse (it was blown). I then replaced the fuse with 1 of the 2 replacement fuses that my Ultra originally shipped with. Upon plugging the power cable into my wall outlet, it immediately blew again. I tried it again (no subwoofer cable connected and switched off) and it immediately blew again. Unfortunately, I don't have any additional fuses to try right now.

Is this indicative of anything more serious? Amp failure?

I believe that I am still under warranty, so I am emailing SVS here shortly.

Thank you for any/all help.

*** Just wanted to post an update regarding my issue (posted above) ***

Ed and the entire SVS team have really taken good care of me. Ed determined the problem to be an amp failure (750w BASH). I was actually outside of my warranty window so the replacement (SLEDGE 1000) would have cost me a nice pile of cash. I'm a US Military member stationed overseas in Korea currently...and because of this...Ed found a way to help me out. It's a great feeling to know that what I do is appreciated. I have not lived in the USA since 2008...only 3-4 more years left before retirement. Once I settle down somewhere I let Ed know that I'll be filling my home with SVS products. Thanks again SVS! Appreciate the service you provide and thanks for going that extra mile when you didn't really have to!

#11,883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11880#post_23843173

I recently changed from a Denon 3808 with XT to a Denon X4000 with XT32. Nothing, as in zero, else was changed, including measuring positions and furniture, strictly an AVR swap. Forget the sub type but SVS of course, the large cylindrical one (PC13??*). Anyway, I found that XT32 required a 14-15dB lower input setting on the sub to get the same Audyssey trim (which is 0dB...why not?). I am running this sub at -27 input level. Also, using the Sub EQ HT level screen thing to set sub input level for 75dB also resulted in a significant (and poor) Audyssey sub trim of like -8dB. So that 75dB level set part is clearly lousy to start with. Similar results with a spare non-SVS sub in a different position.

So, either the XT32 implementation in this AVR puts out a significantly higher sub level than the XT AVR did, or the XT32 implementation is "broken" re subs. It seems to be working VERY well in the non-sub range; I haven't tried to prove the sub range yet, only had the AVR installed for several days and the little I've watched has little bass and no LFE.

*Edit: d'oh, it is a PB13-Ultra. That's what it says anyway, I thought the cylinders had a C in them...

I just set up my X4000 and noticed something similar. It set the sub trim 6db lower than my Onkyo 709 with XT. I thought it might have been a fluke but it doesn't sound that way now.

Either way the XT32 was a HUGE upgrade.

#11,884 ·
My house's front door opens to my living room, where my HT setup resides. This means that come Thursday, when trick-or-treaters will invade our street, I could use the setup (and particularly the subs) to add some Halloween ambiance.

Any track (music, special effects) are recommended for this purpose? So far I found this
track[/URL] , and of course deadmau5's Ghosts'n'Stuff (which is featured in the Art of Flight snowboard clip in the bass segment of the Reference 2 Blu-Ray Disc ). Anything else to scare the kids off with my subs?

#11,885 ·
^^^ Hey neut.. One year we took Jurassic Park and pushed play on a certain scene every time the door bell rang. It sounded like a very heavy person was on their way to the door. All the little girls were scared and cringing, and all the little boys asked, Wow! what's that in anticipation of getting to the bottom of it with wide open eyes. It was so funny the difference in reaction. It all went over very well though. Great laughs

#11,887 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23883421

Any track (music, special effects) are recommended for this purpose? So far I found this
track[/URL] , and of course deadmau5's Ghosts'n'Stuff (which is featured in the Art of Flight snowboard clip in the bass segment of the Reference 2 Blu-Ray Disc ). Anything else to scare the kids off with my subs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23883501

^^^ Hey neut.. One year we took Jurassic Park and pushed play on a certain scene every time the door bell rang. It sounded like a very heavy person was on their way to the door. All the little girls were scared and cringing, and all the little boys asked, Wow! what's that in anticipation of getting to the bottom of it with wide open eyes. It was so funny the difference in reaction. It all went over very well though. Great laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23883627

That's an awesome idea Steve, thanks

I guess the Super Lycan scene from Underworld: Awakening would be awesome for that purpose.
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Fantasy-Adventure-Album-Kunzel/dp/tracks/B000003CZH/ref=dp_tracks_all_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383005571&sr=8-1#disc_1

Track #3 (and be careful...)

#11,888 ·

Quote:
nuet I guess the Super Lycan scene from Underworld: Awakening would be awesome for that purpose.

I’m sure it would if you say so, it’s been so long I don’t remember it very well. It is a fun idea if you decide to do it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23885173

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Fantasy-Adventure-Album-Kunzel/dp/tracks/B000003CZH/ref=dp_tracks_all_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383005571&sr=8-1#disc_1

Track #3 (and be careful...)

Durn! Now I want to hear that track 3
I don't see a way though?? well except to buy..

#11,889 ·
Just wanted to congratulate Ed and SVS on a job well done with their SVS Ultra speakers. I had a chance to demo them today at the Toronto Audio Video show ( TAVES ) - and they blew me away. The SVS room was the stand out of the show from an excitement standpoint for me. If I hadn't invested in a 9 channel PSB image system this year, I'd have dropped cash on the spot for them - and in fact have spent the last few hours trying to figure out how I still could - lol. They really sounded excellent, even in two channel stereo mode without the help of the subs they had in the room - the imaging and bass was excellent. And of course they looked SWEET in that piano black finish. The center channel is a BEAST by the way! Great job!

#11,890 ·
Man I wish we had shows like that where I live. The big shows we have are the farm progress and oilfield shows... Not that they aren't interesting but you know.

I just ordered my PB-1000 tonight! What do I need to do for tuning and leveling? My friend has a digital SPL meter that I can borrow to integrate everything together. Also my receiver (tx-nr616) has a mic that came with it as well. Think it runs the Audessey tuning software? Should I use that or just go with the SPL meter? At my current place I won't be able to move it around but I'm moving soon so then I'll have more options.

This should be a huge upgrade as I've never had a sub with my home theater before haha!

*EDIT*

Guess I should have added my speakers to this post if that changes anything.

Paradigm 3se Fronts

Paradigm CC-300 Center Channel

So this will be a 3.1 setup for now until I find some rear speakers.

#11,891 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxonator  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23908433

Man I wish we had shows like that where I live. The big shows we have are the farm progress and oilfield shows... Not that they aren't interesting but you know.

I just ordered my PB-1000 tonight! What do I need to do for tuning and leveling? My friend has a digital SPL meter that I can borrow to integrate everything together. Also my receiver (tx-nr616) has a mic that came with it as well. Think it runs the Audessey tuning software? Should I use that or just go with the SPL meter? At my current place I won't be able to move it around but I'm moving soon so then I'll have more options.

This should be a huge upgrade as I've never had a sub with my home theater before haha!

*EDIT*

Guess I should have added my speakers to this post if that changes anything.

Paradigm 3se Fronts

Paradigm CC-300 Center Channel

So this will be a 3.1 setup for now until I find some rear speakers.

Cool man - that's a very informed purchase for your first sub that's for sure. You'll love it. As far as Audessey's concerned, it will automatically set the volume used to measure your speakers through your Onkyo. You don't need an spl meter for it. However the spl meter might come in handy for finding the best position for your subwoofer before you run Audessey. I'd jump over to the subwoofer thread for more helpful insight in that regard. I'd start with placing the sub where you usually sit - then walk around the room until the bass sounds best, then place your sub there. You can google " sub crawl method " for more info. You could also use a tape measure to measure the distance from your speakers ( NOT the sub, don't worry about the distance Auddessey sets for this as it will won't reflect the actual placement due to audio delays - don't worry that's fine ) just to double check that the room correction measurements are accurate after running them. That being said Audessey's never mismeasured ( is that a word? ) my speaker distances - but I've heard it can happen from time to time. Chances are you'll run the room correction on the Onkyo and with your new purchase you'll be blown away by the bass response. I also recommend the " master list of Bass " thread on this forum for an extensive list of movies with lots of low bass for you to enjoy your new SVS with. I'll start you off with one - Play the War of the Worlds " pod emergence " scene as your first demo with your PB1000 - I promise you won't be disappointed

Reactions: Paxonator
#11,892 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23908354

Just wanted to congratulate Ed and SVS on a job well done with their SVS Ultra speakers. I had a chance to demo them today at the Toronto Audio Video show ( TAVES ) - and they blew me away. The SVS room was the stand out of the show from an excitement standpoint for me. If I hadn't invested in a 9 channel PSB image system this year, I'd have dropped cash on the spot for them - and in fact have spent the last few hours trying to figure out how I still could - lol. They really sounded excellent, even in two channel stereo mode without the help of the subs they had in the room - the imaging and bass was excellent. And of course they looked SWEET in that piano black finish. The center channel is a BEAST by the way! Great job!

Thanks for the props, Sean - I'll pass along your comments to our senior staff who worked hard putting the TAVES show together!

#11,893 ·
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased my first quality sub, a PB1000 joining my Energy Veritas setup. I upgraded from a Polk PSW505 sub. Despite going from a 12" to a 10" sub, the difference is night and day. Unfortunately my room still has some issues, but I'm working on adding bass traps that I hope will really clean up the sound.

This weekend I tried out the Reference 2: Bass blu-ray disc ( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469192/reference-2-blu-ray-demo-disc-bd9s-bd50 ) that superleo put together. I don't think I got anywhere near pushing the new sub to its limits, but it was unbelievable. After watching it, I realized that the texture on my ceiling didn't hold up to all the bass - I found a layer of white powder over everything. That's some serious boom!

#11,895 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23908354

I missed TAVES this year. It would have been nice to see the SVS room. I'm planning on attending the Montreal show in the spring, so hopefully they will be there also.

#11,896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/11940#post_23908483

Cool man - that's a very informed purchase for your first sub that's for sure. You'll love it. As far as Audessey's concerned, it will automatically set the volume used to measure your speakers through your Onkyo. You don't need an spl meter for it. However the spl meter might come in handy for finding the best position for your subwoofer before you run Audessey. I'd jump over to the subwoofer thread for more helpful insight in that regard. I'd start with placing the sub where you usually sit - then walk around the room until the bass sounds best, then place your sub there. You can google " sub crawl method " for more info. You could also use a tape measure to measure the distance from your speakers ( NOT the sub, don't worry about the distance Auddessey sets for this as it will won't reflect the actual placement due to audio delays - don't worry that's fine ) just to double check that the room correction measurements are accurate after running them. That being said Audessey's never mismeasured ( is that a word? ) my speaker distances - but I've heard it can happen from time to time. Chances are you'll run the room correction on the Onkyo and with your new purchase you'll be blown away by the bass response. I also recommend the " master list of Bass " thread on this forum for an extensive list of movies with lots of low bass for you to enjoy your new SVS with. I'll start you off with one - Play the War of the Worlds " pod emergence " scene as your first demo with your PB1000 - I promise you won't be disappointed

Thanks for the info. I'll run that when the sub shows up. According to purolator it's supposed to get here Thursday!

#11,897 ·
Well I'll be joining the SVS club soon enough. Just ordered the SB-1000 for my office/small room setup.

Going to be using it with AudioEngine A5+s. I'm excited that the SB-1000 has a high pass filter that will go out to the AudioEngines so that they won't be playing full range. This is the setup that I was looking for without any more external components (receivers, DACs, etc.) to keep it simple and keep my desk uncluttered.

I'm running a single Emotiva Ultra 12 in the living room so I have something basically identical in size to compare it to. I'm sure I'll try dual subs for a day or two just to rattle the house a bit.