post #17941 of 17952 Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
What's with all the SVS PC subs with cracks in the port cap? Seems like most of the Outlet PC subs have cracks. I asked a SVS rep about this and he said it's due to shipping. That doesn't sound legit. Are they that fragile?
Not sure --- you're speaking about the metal grille on top? They sure aren't as sturdy as the heavy front gilles in the PB and SB models, but they don't really have to either. They're pretty similar to metal cookie boxes cover perhaps a bit sturdier. Perhaps a sharp hit on the top of a box could have dented or even cracked the grille but it seems to be that SVS could simply replace the grilles on those subs if they are damaged...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17942 of 17952 Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Not sure --- you're speaking about the metal grille on top? They sure aren't as sturdy as the heavy front gilles in the PB and SB models, but they don't really have to either. They're pretty similar to metal cookie boxes cover perhaps a bit sturdier. Perhaps a sharp hit on the top of a box could have dented or even cracked the grille but it seems to be that SVS could simply replace the grilles on those subs if they are damaged...
The grille goes over the port cap. Not 100% sure, as I've never owned a PC sub, but I think the cap around the port/s is plastic. I've been looking at their outlet PC subs for a few months now and the majority of them have cracks.
post #17943 of 17952 Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
The grille goes over the port cap. Not 100% sure, as I've never owned a PC sub, but I think the cap around the port/s is plastic. I've been looking at their outlet PC subs for a few months now and the majority of them have cracks.
It is not a big crack on those it is only crack on paint on top of the port cap. No deeper cracks at all. It is nothing big hardly visible without grill off. Also if you buy cylinder sub new and arrive with this crack you will get additional $100 off wish is not bad or you can swap it for another one.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17944 of 17952 Old 09-19-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
It is not a big crack on those it is only crack on paint on top of the port cap. No deeper cracks at all. It is nothing big hardly visible without grill off. Also if you buy cylinder sub new and arrive with this crack you will get additional $100 off wish is not bad or you can swap it for another one.
Well some of the cracks look faint, like scratches almost, but some look like full cracks in the cap. retro124, do you have a SVS PC sub with cracks? So what causes the cracks? Seems like a design flaw if it's so prevalent. So buy a new PB12-NSD for $650 and if it arrives with port cap cracks SVS will refund $100? I'm just hesitant to buy a PC sub due to this and the cloth wrapping seeming to be so easy to scratch/snag.
post #17945 of 17952 Old 09-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well some of the cracks look faint, like scratches almost, but some look like full cracks in the cap. retro124, do you have a SVS PC sub with cracks? So what causes the cracks? Seems like a design flaw if it's so prevalent. So buy a new PB12-NSD for $650 and if it arrives with port cap cracks SVS will refund $100? I'm just hesitant to buy a PC sub due to this and the cloth wrapping seeming to be so easy to scratch/snag.
Yes you are right many are hair cracks and I talked to SVS and any peeling off paint is under warranty. Discount is only if you buy new one and have some of those. I had it on 1 Plus no problem at all any kind. I received $109 (10%) discout that is accurate. Cloth on sub is easy to keep up clean and no worries about scratches on cloth at all. Don't worry about it if you want cylinder get one, it will be ok no cracks around port andif yes SVS will replace it for you until you have one without or you can get 10% off. I really don't think it is a big deal it is like other SVS subs in outlet. I guess many of those cracks it is FedEx white glove delivery

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17946 of 17952 Old 09-20-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I guess many of those cracks it is FedEx white glove delivery
That would be these?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #17947 of 17952 Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
That would be these?

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #17948 of 17952 Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
I've got a pc12+ and have had no issues with cracked ports. Also the fabric is about the easiest thing on an electronic to care for. I don't think you could easily scratch it, and it is pulled tight so snagging isn't an issue. I'll be the first to admit that a cylinder sub isn't for everybody, but I've loved mine.
post #17949 of 17952 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The port end cap is painted black. Sometimes when the paint cures, it will form hairline cracks in the paint. This is purely cosmetic (and has nothing to do with shipping/handling) and involves only the black paint. The port end cap itself (which is constructed of laminated wood) is perfectly fine. As others have stated, it isn't visible with the grille on - and the PCs offered with this cosmetic issue are nicely discounted on the Outlet Center.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #17950 of 17952 Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SVS SB12-Plus

Looking for a SVS SB12-plus in rosewood or black. Houston or Austin ok.
post #17951 of 17952 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Congrat's on your subs! I hope to hear how it all works out for you as I have same amount of cubic space, but only have 1 PB-2000. Would like to know how well 2 of them sound while enjoying a movie or listening to music.
So....you should pull the trigger. I'm VERY happy with duals. I was happy with the single but the duals put a smile on my face everytime the bass hits. The race car scene on iron man 2 shakes the house...very tight and accurate bass. amazing
discone likes this.
post #17952 of 17952 Old Today, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm4llz View Post
So....you should pull the trigger. I'm VERY happy with duals. I was happy with the single but the duals put a smile on my face everytime the bass hits. The race car scene on iron man 2 shakes the house...very tight and accurate bass. amazing

Thank's for the feedback!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page