Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 17516 Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good to hear from you Randy.

The SVS has the Aperion beat hands down in depth and SPL. If you aren't pushing the Aperion too hard the sound quality is great, just as the SVS. But, you might remember I have a really large room so I am pushing the sub really hard. In my room the SVS is absolutely better. It really shocked me that Tom recommended the PCi(over the PC+, and my budget), but he was right. The PCi does not have the port noise that the Aperion had in my room even at higher volumes. The SVS absoutely rocks the house on movies. Although I don't think it(SVS 25-31PCi) is as good with music as the Aperion S-12, but my main use is HT.

Lane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 17516 Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
they sell in Canada Now

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #153 of 17516 Old 10-05-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

any of you folks interested in my SVS sign? PM me if you are...

I'll send ya $10 bucks for it.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #154 of 17516 Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM

Liked: 10
Greetings from another 20-39 PC-Plus owner. Like most other owners of this brand I absolutely love this sub. My 19-mo-old daughter and I give it big hugs on a regular basis.
post #155 of 17516 Old 10-06-2006, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

I'll send ya $10 bucks for it.

already sold man...sorry.

and HELL NO, I wouldn't sell it for $10!! are you crazy?! After I commited to someone here, I've gotten $50-$60 offers.
post #156 of 17516 Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

After I commited to someone here, I've gotten $50-$60 offers.

Those people may contact me with their $50-$60 offer and next week I will have Shervin's SVS sign ready for shipping...

Just kidding.

Jeremy Gillow
post #157 of 17516 Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM

After 12 years of a basic Kenwood stereo system, I'm finally taking the plunge into home theater. Granted, the budget requires a piece-by-piece plunge, but at least it's happening! I've put all the pieces together except the subwoofer, and it HAS to be an SVS sub, so don't try and change my mind. ;-)

However, I'm a bit stuck on which sub to get. My inclination is toward the PB12-NSD, but here's my situation:

My wife and I use the system for 95% tv/movies, 4% video games and 1% music. Granted, those numbers may change with a new setup, but that's accurate for us now. We have a 15-month old daughter and another child due in February, so we won't be listening at earth-shattering volumes very often, but maybe only on rare occasions. Including shipping, we're about $400 away from purchasing a new PB12-NSD, but we're hoping to sell the old stereo for half of that and get the rest of the money for Christmas from our family. We've been saving for over 3 years for a surround system, so we know how to be patient.

My first question is about which sub would be best for us. I've read through plenty of reviews, opinions and every other thought (mostly here at avsforum.com), but I wanted to ask people for some honest recommendations. (BTW, the fronts are Athena F2.2s, a C1.2 in the center and two S.5s for surround).

My second question is about placement of the sub. I know, I'll probably have to try it out in different locations, but I would at least like to go into it with some sort of basic idea about the whole process. I've included a rough map of our room layout. I tried to make it as accurate as possible and I hope it's not too confusing. I've also numbered the wife's preferred locations for the subwoofer, although I'm willing to stick it just about anywhere within reason. Please note, the bedroom on the LEFT is our room (so nobody will be sleeping in there during movies). The rooms at the top are the baby rooms. One is DIRECTLY behind the entertainment center wall and the other is directly behind the 16'3" wall. Spot #3 has a nice bright floor lamp in that corner which we'd hate to move, but I'm still open to suggestions.

My third question is about the $599 price tag for the PB12-NSD. Is that an introductory price for just a limited time? Do we need to bite the bullet and grab one now (i.e. ask for our Christmas money a bit early?) or will this price continue into January of 2007?

My last question can probably wait for a bit, but I want to ask it so I don't forget. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR604 with the Audyssey2 setup feature. Is that enough to set up a subwoofer, or do I need the additional SPL meter and Avia disk?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know this is a lot of stuff all at once, but this first bite of my home theater sandwich is a big one for me and I'm extremely grateful for any assistance I get while scarfing the whole thing down. Thanks again.

<><<br /> Cliff
post #158 of 17516 Old 10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

SVS has mentioned the inevitability of price hikes once or twice here and on other forums, so I would expect the SVS prices to increase across the board next year.

Will it go up before Christmas? I don't think it would be a smart move, since places like HSU actually discount their models around the holiday (10% off IIRC). But if their supply costs keep going up then they don't have much choice.

Jeremy Gillow
post #159 of 17516 Old 10-11-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

GodURmyall, if you haven't done so already, I'd recommend you post your questions directly to SVS. They are extremely helpful and won't oversell (one of the reasons they have so many loyal customers). There are a lot of well informed people here, but no one better qualified to discuss SVS subs than the people who designed and build them.
post #160 of 17516 Old 10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodURmyall View Post

After 12 years of a basic Kenwood stereo system, I'm finally taking the plunge into home theater. Granted, the budget requires a piece-by-piece plunge, but at least it's happening! I've put all the pieces together except the subwoofer, and it HAS to be an SVS sub, so don't try and change my mind. ;-)

However, I'm a bit stuck on which sub to get. My inclination is toward the PB12-NSD, but here's my situation:

My wife and I use the system for 95% tv/movies, 4% video games and 1% music. Granted, those numbers may change with a new setup, but that's accurate for us now. We have a 15-month old daughter and another child due in February, so we won't be listening at earth-shattering volumes very often, but maybe only on rare occasions. Including shipping, we're about $400 away from purchasing a new PB12-NSD, but we're hoping to sell the old stereo for half of that and get the rest of the money for Christmas from our family. We've been saving for over 3 years for a surround system, so we know how to be patient.

My first question is about which sub would be best for us. I've read through plenty of reviews, opinions and every other thought (mostly here at avsforum.com), but I wanted to ask people for some honest recommendations. (BTW, the fronts are Athena F2.2s, a C1.2 in the center and two S.5s for surround).

My second question is about placement of the sub. I know, I'll probably have to try it out in different locations, but I would at least like to go into it with some sort of basic idea about the whole process. I've included a rough map of our room layout. I tried to make it as accurate as possible and I hope it's not too confusing. I've also numbered the wife's preferred locations for the subwoofer, although I'm willing to stick it just about anywhere within reason. Please note, the bedroom on the LEFT is our room (so nobody will be sleeping in there during movies). The rooms at the top are the baby rooms. One is DIRECTLY behind the entertainment center wall and the other is directly behind the 16'3" wall. Spot #3 has a nice bright floor lamp in that corner which we'd hate to move, but I'm still open to suggestions.

My third question is about the $599 price tag for the PB12-NSD. Is that an introductory price for just a limited time? Do we need to bite the bullet and grab one now (i.e. ask for our Christmas money a bit early?) or will this price continue into January of 2007?

My last question can probably wait for a bit, but I want to ask it so I don't forget. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR604 with the Audyssey2 setup feature. Is that enough to set up a subwoofer, or do I need the additional SPL meter and Avia disk?

Thanks in advance for your help. I know this is a lot of stuff all at once, but this first bite of my home theater sandwich is a big one for me and I'm extremely grateful for any assistance I get while scarfing the whole thing down. Thanks again.

<><<br /> Cliff

The PB12-NSD will complement well with your front speakers, (specially the dual 8'' woofers on your athenas). The only concern that I would have is the size of the area that you are trying to provide LFR and LFE for. The size of the listening room by itself would not be a problem, if it wasn't for the fact that it is open to two other rooms. You will need to account for that. One solution would be near placement to the listening location. If your listening habits doesn't include reference level, though, the PB12-NSD should be fine. Prices will be going up in the near future, (cost of materials to manufacture the subs). There varying takes on auto setups, but for the most part, most pros and HT/AV followers have an unfavorable opinions of auto setups, and rely on an SPL meter and a reference disk with tones, such as AVIA for level calibrations and phase adjustments. Specially to set up the sub.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #161 of 17516 Old 10-12-2006, 07:24 AM

After my package was delayed two days, I will have a subwoofer when I come home from work tonight . Now I just need to pick up a tripod and radioshack spl meter and i'll be rollin. I can't wait to get home!
post #162 of 17516 Old 10-12-2006, 07:28 AM

Enjoy yourself! I did that the other day when I got my first real subwoofer (PB12NSD).

Getting your speakers set up using the spl meter really makes a difference.

PSN: Dead_Cthulhu
post #163 of 17516 Old 10-12-2006, 08:39 AM

Enjoy, I got mine a month ago... Make sure all your picture frames and anything less than 5lbs sitting on a shelf is secured tightly....
post #164 of 17516 Old 10-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post

After my package was delayed two days, I will have a subwoofer when I come home from work tonight . Now I just need to pick up a tripod and radioshack spl meter and i'll be rollin. I can't wait to get home!

James,
Welcome to the madness, and congrats on the SVS. I have a pb10, and I love it.

Good luck,
post #165 of 17516 Old 10-12-2006, 10:07 PM

Well, I got the sub in. One thing to mention -- WOW is it ever huge for a 10" sub housing. My roommate who is 6'4" can fit in that box all curled up, and he's no contortionist. The first thing I did when I got it (radio shack didn't end up having the spl meter on hand) was crank it up a little and play a couple scenes from war of the worlds. the person sitting on the couch in front of the port jumped a couple times because of the air coming out of the port startling him . All in all this thing brings down the house, now I just need to get it all configured to see what it can really do .

Also now I need the surround speakers to match. They did fine before, but man can I tell how sub-par they are now.

Another happy SVS customer - insert huge smile -
post #166 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

congrats on the purchase, now get that thing calibrated and find the best possible location for it. for the $$ you plunked down, you owe it to yourself to get the best performance you can out of it. it really is a monster performer for its size, welcome to a whole new world of bass.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #167 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

It kind of surpises me that SVS used their Plus 12.3 driver in the SB-12. Presumably that driver is optimised for large ported enclosures. I thought the conventional wisdom was that you needed an entirely different driver design for a small sealed enclosure versus a large ported enclosure.

Seems to me there might be an awful lot of EQ going on. Now that is not necessarily a bad thing and I am certainly not trying to knock a product I have never heard. Just interested to hear other's thoughts on this. In fact, I may end up buying one of these. The specs certainly look good on balance but there don't seem to be any end-user reviews or comparisons on it yet.

Also, I am wondering what giving up that last 5 Hz (25 Hz for the SB12+ vs 20 Hz for a 20-39 PC+ based on the FR graphs) means in practice. Reason I can't tell is that my current sub rolls off at more like 30Hz. Well at least it used to when it was actually working....

Brent
post #168 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It kind of surpises me that SVS used their Plus 12.3 driver in the SB-12. Presumably that driver is optimised for large ported enclosures.

Tough to say without the parameters.

Quote:

Seems to me there might be an awful lot of EQ going on.

Maybe. Tough to name a commercial sealed sub in which this isn't the case. How that effects anything is a guess at this point.

Quote:

The specs certainly look good on balance but there don't seem to be any end-user reviews or comparisons on it yet.

Not surprizing as it's not shipping yet.

There has been much second-guessing, etc., about the design, so it'll be nice when actual performance results are posted.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #169 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwishred View Post

Seems to me there might be an awful lot of EQ going on. Now that is not necessarily a bad thing and I am certainly not trying to knock a product I have never heard. Just interested to hear other's thoughts on this. In fact, I may end up buying one of these. The specs certainly look good on balance but there don't seem to be any end-user reviews or comparisons on it yet.

Also, I am wondering what giving up that last 5 Hz (25 Hz for the SB12+ vs 20 Hz for a 20-39 PC+ based on the FR graphs) means in practice. Reason I can't tell is that my current sub rolls off at more like 30Hz. Well at least it used to when it was actually working....

Brent

Any small/sealed subwoofer design is going to be a compromise by it's very nature. Size and cabinet volume matters when it comes to conveying low frequencies linearly at a high level with reasonably low distortion. So equalization or other electronics enhancements are key.

In practice, it means that you are not going to hear or sense that little extra umph that many of today's DVD have encoded. But even if you did have that capability, the ported cylinder would be able to do so with linearity and authority, and at a higher level. The SB12+ is meant for a small to medium room. It is a fantastic sub, but it is not meant to do the things that a larger volumed and ported sub can do down low.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #170 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Happy to report that I'm the new owner of a B-stock PB10-ISD. Don't know why it was B-stock. It was absolutely flawless, perfectly packaged, etc. I can only hope that the person who returned it purchased a bigger SVS! At first, I was worried that it wasn't an NSD, but since SVS says there's no audible difference, who am I to challenge? Anyway, I'm one happy camper.
post #171 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Tough to say without the parameters.

Maybe. Tough to name a commercial sealed sub in which this isn't the case. How that effects anything is a guess at this point.

Not surprizing as it's not shipping yet.

There has been much second-guessing, etc., about the design, so it'll be nice when actual performance results are posted.

There is a review of it at audioholics but they tested it only for music, not HT!

Nick
post #172 of 17516 Old 10-13-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ScottADowns just sold his two PB10s and purchased an SVS PB12NSD/2.

Scott....comments??? I want to come by for a demo.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #173 of 17516 Old 10-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick250 View Post

There is a review of it at audioholics but they tested it only for music, not HT!

Nick

Thanks Nick. The review doesn't seem to be in their search engine yet so it took me a little digginf around to find. Here is the link: http://www.audioholics.com/productre...SB12Plusp1.php

Brent
post #174 of 17516 Old 10-14-2006, 01:01 PM

Hope your happy with the PB10. The new PB12 plus/NSD is amazing. IM in the process of final wiring into the SBS 5.1 system as we speak. First rough impressions. AMAZING!!! Kipp I will call you today or Sunday for the Demo. Most likely Sunday.

If you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
post #175 of 17516 Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm glad this thread has lasted. Great posts, no bashing, just a bunch of folks who love their SVS's. Keep it up!

Just watched Kill Bill Vol 1 the other night, got it for my B-day. Not a whole lot down low, but definately hard hitting. DTS rocks.

Strong men also cry.
post #176 of 17516 Old 10-15-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

woot!

post #177 of 17516 Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind!

post #178 of 17516 Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 PM

I'm working on building out my home theater. I need a sub to complement an LSI 5-channel system. I'm sold on SVS but not sure which model. The room is big, about 3500-4000 cubic feet. It's pretty rectangular in shape with high ceilings. I will need to add a large throw rug since it's all hardwood with minimal furniture and no drapes. I'll probably make the theater sitting area only fill maybe 1/2 the length, just to sit close to the TV, so although it's a big room, I'll still be reasonably close to the subwoofer.

I'm trying to decide between the PB12-Plus and the PB12-Plus/2. I'll be using it mostly for music (classic rock, maybe metal), but I would love good performance for movies too.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Brian
post #179 of 17516 Old 10-15-2006, 09:21 PM

Quick Update:
Ok, I got my Kill-A-Watt, fired up the old Denon test tones at reference levels (receiver at -4dB and SVS PB10-ISD near its limits) and this is what I got before I had to turn it down since it was really loud and my room was shaking apart.

16Hz - 26 watts max
32Hz - 30 watts max
64Hz - 56 watts max

btw, the sub seemed to be drawing about 0.4 amps. I guess I don't have to worry about the SVS jacking up my electric bill too much.
post #180 of 17516 Old 10-15-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Bigger is always better!

Send an email to SVS with your room dimensions and description, and they'll make a recommendation. My experience is that they won't oversell you - if they think the single driver will do it, they'll say so.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Speaker Systems , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page