post #18031 of 18035 Old Today, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffas000073 View Post
Hi All.......I'm upgrading my whole system and just ordered Aperion Verus Grand Towers, Verus Grand Center, and Verus Grand Bookshelves for the surrounds. I still have an old M&K MX-80 sub that still works great, but figured I may as well replace that too. Question is.....would I be better off getting two PB2000's -OR- one SB13 Ultra (can't afford two of those right now). I mainly watch movies and love bass 'thump'. The room is just a medium sized family room open to the foyer and a couple of hallways. It also has a cathedral ceiling if that matters. Suggestions?????
Well how big is your room feet/3? Sounds like you have a big room with high ceiling. For movies it is more to ported sub. Some guys have a sealed SB13Ultra in small to medium size rooms and they love it. Maybe single Plus or Ultra ported one will be a better choice for your room.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18032 of 18035 Old Today, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Once I get home from work tonight, I'll measure the room and post the dimensions. I really want to order TONIGHT whatever SVS sub turns out to be the best for my application. My Aperion speakers come in on Friday, so I'd love to get the sub(s) hopefully by the weekend. I'm leaning towards the two PB-2000's at the moment. I wish I could afford two PB13 Ultras, but the Aperions wiped me out!!! One last thing....will the ported subs be that much better than the sealed for movies?
post #18033 of 18035 Old Today, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffas000073 View Post
Once I get home from work tonight, I'll measure the room and post the dimensions. I really want to order TONIGHT whatever SVS sub turns out to be the best for my application. My Aperion speakers come in on Friday, so I'd love to get the sub(s) hopefully by the weekend. I'm leaning towards the two PB-2000's at the moment. I wish I could afford two PB13 Ultras, but the Aperions wiped me out!!! One last thing....will the ported subs be that much better than the sealed for movies?
Ported subs are mostly better for movies. Many people like sealed sub as well in almost all cases those people have small or medium size room. Others use ported. You have a really nice towers and I'm waiting for your room measurement. I will be more going to Plus or Ultra sub but it is me, nice about those is you can have them set up as (16hz, 20hz or sealed mode = ported ones ). I will get one Plus now and maybe later on second one. Did you talk to SVS guys on SVS web sites? Try to chat with them, they are very helpful and they will tell you what will fit the best. On web site it is simple tool merlin and for your towers it is all Ultra sub as basic recommendation. If you are not sure what to get get one of each and compare them for 45 days and then keep one and send other back. Only your ears will tell you what you like the best. I have dual Pluses Cylinder version and I love them. I compare them to single Ultra PC13 sub and I decide to keep dual Pluses and also menu folks here agree it is great idea and it is. Dual Pluses will outperform single Ultra so as dual PB-2000 will outperform single Plus.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18034 of 18035 Old Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
SVS PC12-Plus and PC13-Ultra have a option of sealed mode so probably there is no reason to do only sealed sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
Maybe because the lenght of the sub is for the ports. With no ports it would be just like a round PB facing downward. Maybe.
Exactly -- If you sealed a PC12-NSD you'd basically have an SB12-NSD, which has basically the same footprint without the height. The same goes for the PC13-Ultra and the SB13-Ultra. The only thing that is missing is an SB12-Plus in the current lineup (it did exist in the past).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffas000073
One last thing....will the ported subs be that much better than the sealed for movies?
Yes -- the drawback is the size of the subs but the ports will give you a sizeable output advantage which will provide you with much more tactile feelings. Not that the sealed Ultra isn't good -- it's awesome -- but you're trading a bit of output to have that small form factor.

post #18035 of 18035 Old Today, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK.....so I guess I'll go with the ported sub instead of the sealed since everything I'm reading from you guys, plus what's on the SVS site says go ported. So that leaves me with either going with two PB2000's or one PB13 Ultra (most likely would get that from SVS's clearance area). More punch with two PB2000's?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page