post #18031 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffas000073 View Post
Hi All.......I'm upgrading my whole system and just ordered Aperion Verus Grand Towers, Verus Grand Center, and Verus Grand Bookshelves for the surrounds. I still have an old M&K MX-80 sub that still works great, but figured I may as well replace that too. Question is.....would I be better off getting two PB2000's -OR- one SB13 Ultra (can't afford two of those right now). I mainly watch movies and love bass 'thump'. The room is just a medium sized family room open to the foyer and a couple of hallways. It also has a cathedral ceiling if that matters. Suggestions?????
Well how big is your room feet/3? Sounds like you have a big room with high ceiling. For movies it is more to ported sub. Some guys have a sealed SB13Ultra in small to medium size rooms and they love it. Maybe single Plus or Ultra ported one will be a better choice for your room.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18032 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Once I get home from work tonight, I'll measure the room and post the dimensions. I really want to order TONIGHT whatever SVS sub turns out to be the best for my application. My Aperion speakers come in on Friday, so I'd love to get the sub(s) hopefully by the weekend. I'm leaning towards the two PB-2000's at the moment. I wish I could afford two PB13 Ultras, but the Aperions wiped me out!!! One last thing....will the ported subs be that much better than the sealed for movies?
post #18033 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once I get home from work tonight, I'll measure the room and post the dimensions. I really want to order TONIGHT whatever SVS sub turns out to be the best for my application. My Aperion speakers come in on Friday, so I'd love to get the sub(s) hopefully by the weekend. I'm leaning towards the two PB-2000's at the moment. I wish I could afford two PB13 Ultras, but the Aperions wiped me out!!! One last thing....will the ported subs be that much better than the sealed for movies?
Ported subs are mostly better for movies. Many people like sealed sub as well in almost all cases those people have small or medium size room. Others use ported. You have a really nice towers and I'm waiting for your room measurement. I will be more going to Plus or Ultra sub but it is me, nice about those is you can have them set up as (16hz, 20hz or sealed mode = ported ones ). I will get one Plus now and maybe later on second one. Did you talk to SVS guys on SVS web sites? Try to chat with them, they are very helpful and they will tell you what will fit the best. On web site it is simple tool merlin and for your towers it is all Ultra sub as basic recommendation. If you are not sure what to get get one of each and compare them for 45 days and then keep one and send other back. Only your ears will tell you what you like the best. I have dual Pluses Cylinder version and I love them. I compare them to single Ultra PC13 sub and I decide to keep dual Pluses and also menu folks here agree it is great idea and it is. Dual Pluses will outperform single Ultra so as dual PB-2000 will outperform single Plus.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18034 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
SVS PC12-Plus and PC13-Ultra have a option of sealed mode so probably there is no reason to do only sealed sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurba View Post
Maybe because the lenght of the sub is for the ports. With no ports it would be just like a round PB facing downward. Maybe.
Exactly -- If you sealed a PC12-NSD you'd basically have an SB12-NSD, which has basically the same footprint without the height. The same goes for the PC13-Ultra and the SB13-Ultra. The only thing that is missing is an SB12-Plus in the current lineup (it did exist in the past).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffas000073
One last thing....will the ported subs be that much better than the sealed for movies?
Yes -- the drawback is the size of the subs but the ports will give you a sizeable output advantage which will provide you with much more tactile feelings. Not that the sealed Ultra isn't good -- it's awesome -- but you're trading a bit of output to have that small form factor.
Gurba likes this.

post #18035 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

OK.....so I guess I'll go with the ported sub instead of the sealed since everything I'm reading from you guys, plus what's on the SVS site says go ported. So that leaves me with either going with two PB2000's or one PB13 Ultra (most likely would get that from SVS's clearance area). More punch with two PB2000's?
post #18036 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
OK.....so I guess I'll go with the ported sub instead of the sealed since everything I'm reading from you guys, plus what's on the SVS site says go ported. So that leaves me with either going with two PB2000's or one PB13 Ultra (most likely would get that from SVS's clearance area). More punch with two PB2000's?
I would probably take the one ultra. The variable tuning is the difference maker plus more amp features. Two PB2000s probably have similar output to one ultra.
post #18037 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
You can save some money and floor space by going with the PC version. Easy to move and easy to place since it takes up so little floor space.

Just a thought.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #18038 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 453
Quote:
That's a good question. Two PB-2000s will have a combined output close to that of the Ultra that's for sure. The other advantage is that duals will naturally offer a flatter frequency response and a more uniform bass across the room. The advantage of the Ultra is a nicer finish and variable tuning that allows tuning the sub lower.

... And we fall back to the dilemma others and I already had I wanted to upgrade my SB12-NSD and wanted to try 1) duals, 2) ported and 3) variable tuning / low tuning and 4) respect my original budget. Guess which constraint fell in the end. I ended up with dual PC12-Plus because the cylinders are cheaper and have smaller footprints than the big ported box, and the Plus have variable tuning too.

Now with dual Pluses, if I had to choose to go down to either a single Ultra or dual 2000's, I'm really unsure about what I'd do. I think I'd go with a single Ultra, because I like the nice finishes and the huge grille, and because I really dig 16 Hz tuning. Frequency response can be EQ'd to some extent and unless you like to sit everywhere in your room, bass uniformity is a nice to have but is not that critical.

I recently had to turn off one sub and turn it on later (ok that's a total lie: I forgot to turn on one of the sub for a whole month) and while having the missing sub turned on sounded quite a bit better, a big part of that was missing 4-5 dB of output to reach calibration level, and in any case, I think the sensation of strong 16 Hz output to be a more palpable benefit than having duals. Others can't live with duals though so it's a close call.

post #18039 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased the PC12-NSD, and I have a question about the 'subwoofer crawl'. Would you guys simply place the subwoofer in front of the couch (on the ground) and do the crawl? I need the subwoofer to be behind (or to the side) of the couch, so I'm wondering if I should somehow place the sub on my couch and do the crawl then. Also, if I put it on the couch, would I want the driver to be facing upwards?

Sorry if these questions sound weird, but I've never had a nice sub like this, and I want it to be set up properly. After I have the sub placed correctly, I'm planning on running the Audyssey on my Denon 2113.

post #18040 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstanek View Post
I recently purchased the PC12-NSD, and I have a question about the 'subwoofer crawl'. Would you guys simply place the subwoofer in front of the couch (on the ground) and do the crawl? I need the subwoofer to be behind (or to the side) of the couch, so I'm wondering if I should somehow place the sub on my couch and do the crawl then. Also, if I put it on the couch, would I want the driver to be facing upwards?

Sorry if these questions sound weird, but I've never had a nice sub like this, and I want it to be set up properly. After I have the sub placed correctly, I'm planning on running the Audyssey on my Denon 2113.
The PC12 is pretty easy to move...since you have limited spots to put the sub I would just try them out with the sub in the locations you are considering
post #18041 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

Liked: 63
For movies I would always lean towards keeping things ported. When I was shopping subs a few months back I was thinking about going with dual PB-1000's among all the subs I was looking at. I really loved the idea of having the variable tuning aspect. I ended up getting really close to pulling the trigger on the HSU VTF-15. For various reasons (better reviews for almost everything I read) I made a last minute decision to jump on board with the PC12 plus. I've been thrilled with my decision and even though I didn't go to a dual design, I'm hardly lacking for bass.

Now a note to any wives/girlfriends reading this. My initial plan was to go with a second BIC F12. My wife wasn't on board and encouraged me to wait a while. As I waited I researched. Finally she told me to just buy the damn thing so the price would stop going up. Pretty sure I was 2-3 weeks away from looking at a Submersive.
retro124 likes this.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #18042 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post
I went from the PB1000 to the PC12 and found it to be a large improvement. I'm sure the PB2000 is great as well, but there are some other quality subs you could consider it that price range as well. (ie the PSA XV15se - http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv15se or the new PS15x from Reaction Audio http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...ered-subwoofer)
Thanks for the reply! Both the XV15 and PS15x looks like they would rock my world but just out of my price range. SVS has come up with a solution for an upgrade that I can't wait to get my hands on! I'll post up a review when I get it.

Thanks again,

G

Last edited by gman086; Yesterday at 04:49 PM.
post #18043 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

Finally home and here is a 'rough' sketch of my family room with dimensions. Again, I'm leaning towards two PB2000's.....but now seeing my room, I'd like to hear your input. I know this is an SVS thread, and everything I've read about SVS is great, but if there is any other idea, I'm open to that too. I REALLY want to order something tonight so I have a chance to get it for the weekend. If I had the cash, I'd go with two of the ported Ultras, but the Aperions really emptied the pockets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	room.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	288337  
post #18044 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finally home and here is a 'rough' sketch of my family room with dimensions. Again, I'm leaning towards two PB2000's.....but now seeing my room, I'd like to hear your input. I know this is an SVS thread, and everything I've read about SVS is great, but if there is any other idea, I'm open to that too. I REALLY want to order something tonight so I have a chance to get it for the weekend. If I had the cash, I'd go with two of the ported Ultras, but the Aperions really emptied the pockets.
Why you never talk about Plus? Plus is smaller brother from Ultra with almost same futures. It is great price for cylinder one from SVS outlet. If Merlin there recommended only Ultra subs it doesn't mean you need to get them. If I'm you I will order tonight one PB-2000 and one Plus sub and compare them for 45 days will cost you nothing. You ca try one sub, then other then both and you will get idea how they sound and what to expect. Then you can decide what to keep or even to send both back and get Ultra. In case 2x PB-2000 or single Ultra I will go with Ultra.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18045 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Liked: 63
Curious to get some opinions. I'm getting ready to move my system into a dedicated theater. Room is just under 1100 cubic feet so I don't have that much air to move. I'm thinking about dropping my pc12+ into sealed mode. I figure that in such a small room power isn't an issue and that this may provide me with enough power to still give very powerful bass. Thoughts on this?

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #18046 of 18050 Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Again, I'm leaning towards two PB2000's....
I think this is an excellent choice. I don't consider my opinion expert but have one PB2000 that I recently paired with a lesser sub. My room is greater than 7000 cu ft and I thought the PB2000 was more than adequate, however, adding a second sub really smoothed out the FR. I gained some more volume but that was just a secondary gain of doubtful value for me. I think the twin subs will outperform a single larger sub in your situation.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #18047 of 18050 Old Today, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Curious to get some opinions. I'm getting ready to move my system into a dedicated theater. Room is just under 1100 cubic feet so I don't have that much air to move. I'm thinking about dropping my pc12+ into sealed mode. I figure that in such a small room power isn't an issue and that this may provide me with enough power to still give very powerful bass. Thoughts on this?
Hi my room is 1600 cubic feet and i have a sb13ultra and it is wonderful...plenty of bass, really the subwoofer i always dreamed of...you will gain on lower frequencies in sealed mode becasue of the room gain...try it and report back. On the other hand i would also like to try ported 16hz tunung in my room but the pb12+ and pb13ultra were too large for my room
post #18048 of 18050 Old Today, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
If i were you i would buy an pb13ultra...i had a 2xsb12nsd and now i have 1xsb13ultra and this is really a different animal . So far i dont miss duals as the ultra is giving me more than enough bass for my room...more tha 2xsb12 and especially the lower frequencies are far more powerful watching movie is now superb , before i always missed something...ultra will be more than enough and you would be aware that you have one of the best ported subs and the best SVS has to offer...really ultras are the way to go if you can...i wish i had a place for an pb13ultra...and also you can try playing with various modes...16hz, 20hz and sealed (that is like three different subs in one package )...maybe you will prefer sealed mode if not you can always tune it in 16 or 20hz mode...pb2000 will always be ported...IF YOU HAVE PLACE FOR AN PB13 THAN BUY ULTRA!
post #18049 of 18050 Old Today, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone been to a BestBuy yet that has SVS subs?

My HT / Family Room:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Calibration Settings for my Samsung HL67A750:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18050 of 18050 Old Today, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
Anyone been to a BestBuy yet that has SVS subs?
I have, but didn't request a demo

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page