post #18331 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyc23 View Post
I just purchased an SVS PC12-NSDsubwoofer. This is replacing a Polk PSW505. I noticed a few thingsAudessey related I was wondering if anybody had any advice.
I have found I like the SVS around +9db above the calibration. I was wondering if anyone else likes running there SVS sub this hot? I do not listen at reference level, but I do like it somewhat loud on occasion. Should I worry about running the sub this hot?
Teddy
Hi Teddy,

I am in much the same boat, as Audyssey set my sub AVR trim to -10.5, and I had to raise it +4.5dB just to get a flat calibration (as determined using an SPL meter and calibration BD). I goosed it a further 5dB to run it hot (I do not use Dynamic EQ). In your case, +9dB from where Audyssey set it is not that unreasonable (I am at +9.5dB), as Audyssey tends to set LFE several dB cold relative to the sats in the first place. How hot should be measured from a flat calibration, so your best bet is to get an SPL meter and good calibration disk to find out just how hot you are running. Good luck!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18332 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywade1978 View Post
What is the difference in ported vs sealed? I've narrowed my choices down to these 2 and the Goldenear. Anyone known which one is better?
Real generally, Sealed has a slower rolloff in the deep low frequencies but less output power in this region. Ported has a steep roll off after the tuning frequency and has more output in this region.

In general, in small rooms (sealed) sealed subs work well. The room adds gain which tends to complement the slow roll off and because the
room is small you can get all the output you need down to very low frequencies.

For larger rooms they almost always need ported subs for more max output. You may not get the extremely deep frequency extension of sealed subs in small rooms but you get output in spades.

Ported subs have larger box volume which makes them overall bigger. This reduces the WAF. Sealed subs can be made in small enclosures which can more easily be hidden if cosmetics is a big concern.
Thank you for your response. My room is 14x24 with 7' ceiling. Is a ported too much? How about the GoldenEar? Is SVS that much better?
post #18333 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Thank you for your response. My room is 14x24 with 7' ceiling. Is a ported too much? How about the GoldenEar? Is SVS that much better?
Not at all, your room is a nice size ported will do great there. What sub or subs are you thinking about?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18334 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Quote:
Not at all, your room is a nice size ported will do great there. What sub or subs are you thinking about?
I am leaning toward the pb2000, I think its $800. GoldenEar 5 subwoofer. Tough choice considering I can't hear the SVS. GoldenEar sub sounded great but im reading bad things about there subwoofer. Everything I've read about the SVS, says its the best subwoofer in that price range.
post #18335 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love my SB12-NSD in my 1400cu. ft. room. Just ordered some Elite bookshelves to audition before I decide on GoldenEar 5.1 with Triton 7 towers.

Sometimes our circuits get shorted by external interference,
Signals get crossed and the balance distorted by internal incoherence.
post #18336 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am leaning toward the pb2000, I think its $800. GoldenEar 5 subwoofer. Tough choice considering I can't hear the SVS. GoldenEar sub sounded great but im reading bad things about there subwoofer. Everything I've read about the SVS, says its the best subwoofer in that price range.
PB-2000 is for sure great sub, SVS have excellent reviews on great subs and customer services. Why not you can't try it?

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18337 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

Liked: 13
Hey guys,

Looking at getting an SVS Sub in the coming weeks. My system consists of an Anthem MRX 710 + Anthem MCA 30 Power amp, with Focal Aria 926 fronts. These speakers already put out an impressive amount of bass, but they obviously are lacking for Movies. I really like the look of the SB-13 Ultra, but wonder if it's worth the extra money over the PB-2000. Also not sure if my room is too big for a sealed Sub. Room is reasonably acoustic friendly - carpet, rectangular in shape. Opens up to a Kitchen/Dining area that is tiled.

Dimensions of the space are 4m x 6m x 2.7m which roughly translates to 2000cu ft. This doesn't include the kitchen/dining area which is roughly the same dimensions again on one side.

Would be great to get some recommendations.

Luke
post #18338 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Quote:
PB-2000 is for sure great sub, SVS have excellent reviews on great subs and customer services. Why not you can't try it?
I live in Boston Ma. There's no SVS dealer near me. I know they have a 45 day return policy but it's a pain in the ass shipping back waiting on a refund. It's really a toss up. The Forcefield 5 is only a thousand bucks and the svs is 800, perfect world, I could demo them side by side. God knows this site has fed my movie room sickness into thousands upon thousands with no end in site. I was hoping to hear from someone that had one of the goldenear subs and also had the SVS.
post #18339 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner84 View Post
Hey guys,

Looking at getting an SVS Sub in the coming weeks. My system consists of an Anthem MRX 710 + Anthem MCA 30 Power amp, with Focal Aria 926 fronts. These speakers already put out an impressive amount of bass, but they obviously are lacking for Movies. I really like the look of the SB-13 Ultra, but wonder if it's worth the extra money over the PB-2000. Also not sure if my room is too big for a sealed Sub. Room is reasonably acoustic friendly - carpet, rectangular in shape. Opens up to a Kitchen/Dining area that is tiled.

Dimensions of the space are 4m x 6m x 2.7m which roughly translates to 2000cu ft. This doesn't include the kitchen/dining area which is roughly the same dimensions again on one side.

Would be great to get some recommendations.

Luke
I don't think you can go wrong with the PB-2000, especially considering you could get almost two for the price of the ultra.

You aren't going to be getting much room gain with the open room so I do not see much in the way of benefits for you going with the ultra sealed.
post #18340 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
I live in Boston Ma. There's no SVS dealer near me. I know they have a 45 day return policy but it's a pain in the ass shipping back waiting on a refund. It's really a toss up. The Forcefield 5 is only a thousand bucks and the svs is 800, perfect world, I could demo them side by side. God knows this site has fed my movie room sickness into thousands upon thousands with no end in site. I was hoping to hear from someone that had one of the goldenear subs and also had the SVS.
It's actually really easy to demo an SVS sub. Just keep all of the packaging and if your not happy call SVS and they will send a return shipping label to your email print it out and box up the sub.Just ask SVS to have Fed Ex pick it up from your house.

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #18341 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
I've never heard a GoldenEar, so take this FWIW. I do have a PB-2000 in a >7000 cu ft room and it rocks. Chest thump, floor rumble, tight bass, etc. SVS pays for the return if it doesn't work for you.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #18342 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well then it is easy you buy it try it if you like it keep it if you want to try better SVS sub or just return it call SVS they will prepare all for you. This is easy man, pain in the ass is companies where you have to pay shipping back then you really need to done some serious thinking not with SVS, Their customer servise is outstanding. You can also get 2 subs from them at same time let say PB-2000 or maybe bigger PB12-Plus and compare them side by side and then just send it back what you don't like. Shipping is fast I get it from them in 3 days and refund take 2-3 days no worries there at all.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18343 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Thanks for everyones help. I think I will buy the pb-2000. I will update after I received the subwoofer.
post #18344 of 18355 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Hello, I have heard both and the choice is very easy, pb2000 is 3 times the sub.
The FF5 is decent if the size is taken into consideration but not when compared the pb2000 as the under 30 hertz is 2-3 times the output and it also doesnt have the 5 year warranty and customer service svs comes with.
post #18345 of 18355 Old Today, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post
Yeah everything is working wonderful.It sound's wonderful the RF-7 II just the other day i was blasting my setup and my next door neighbors was like screaming at me lol.She was like turn that s@#$ lower.And i was like no not if you going to talk to me like that lady.LMAO I am getting sick of her kids playing basketball on my property.I keep telling her that her kid's can get hert.I am a landlord and the lady just does not listen what so ever.It's like none stop there trowing a basket ball and it can bounce and hit one of my window's in my apartment building.Then what lol.But yeah she got mad at me for playing my music on a saturday.I was like no way lady it's the week end get the hell out of here lmao.
I would not curse at you. I would just call the police. Best way to deal with inconsiderate jack a$$es often times. If you still live in an apartment complex, there is a level of respect and consideration one should have. Once someone becomes a homeowner, there is a level of freedom that comes with it in regards to doing what you want, when you want, as loud as you want. But playing your high output stereo so loud that people scream and curse at you? Same thing with stomping around and jumping, banging, slamming doors etc etc. Learn some respect and you won't get those reactions.
joseph10704, B 26354 and TomC1315 like this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #18346 of 18355 Old Today, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've joined the SVS club. Picked up a used SB12-NSD last night to replace a 6 week old Polk PSW10 for my modest basement home theatre. Really looking forward to using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
retro124 likes this.

Optomo HD131xe on 106" Accuscreens 16:9 pull-down screen
Denon 1713 AVR
Sony PS3 Fat / Sony BDP-5200 / NAD T-514 DVD player (used as CD player)
Polk Monitor 30 Series ii LR fronts / Polk CS1 centre / Monoprice in-wall 5-1/4 Inch rear surrounds / SVS SB12-NSD sub
post #18347 of 18355 Old Today, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTropic View Post
I've joined the SVS club. Picked up a used SB12-NSD last night to replace a 6 week old Polk PSW10 for my modest basement home theatre. Really looking forward to using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Congrats and let us know how you like it.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #18348 of 18355 Old Today, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
I don't want to sound like I'm dissing the GE 5 subwoofer since I've never listened to it and while I heard good things about GE products, I'm a bit wary about their subs.

If you head towards their web page, you see all sorts of marketroid speak... Hey a quadratic planar infrasonic radiator sure does sound good doesn't it? To me, it just triggers my BS-meter. In all likelihood though, the sub will probably sound a lot like a PB-2000. Here's a breakdown:

- the quadratic planar infrasonic radiator is simply a passive radiator. Its role is the same as the ports on a vented sub. So you can compare the GE sub to other ported subs.

- the quoted frequency response (12 Hz - 250 Hz) is highly dubious. A powerful sealed sub in-room could do 12 Hz. A medium-level ported sub? Not so much. I have dual Pluses in a small room and with a 16 Hz tune I have nowhere near 12 Hz response. Normally manufacturer would quote the -3 dB points of the frequency response at 2m on a half-plane, quasi-anechoic (i.e. outside measurement). This seems like the -10 dB points in a room or something, which looks very misleading to me.

- They quote the peak power for the amp (1500 W) -- which is OK but with powered subs the standard is to quote the RMS power. The PB-2000 is 1100 W peak. Another point of comparison -- the BASH 550W sub that PSA uses is 1600 W peak. So the GE amp is most probably a 500-600 W RMS amp, which is pretty much expected at this price point.

- The driver is the same size as the PB-2000's (12"). The only other descriptive terms are superlatives ("massive high-gauss magnet"), I see no other numbers.

- While it can be very misleading to judge a sub by its weight, the PB-2000 is still 20 lbs heavier than the GE (46 lbs vs 66 lbs). Some of this is because of the metal grille, and perhaps the larger enclosure. But most of the difference is probably in the driver itself.

- I haven't found any serious review of the GE subs, nor did I see any frequency response measurement. SVS has plenty of both and Audioholics have CEA-2010-tested them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner84 View Post
Looking at getting an SVS Sub in the coming weeks. My system consists of an Anthem MRX 710 + Anthem MCA 30 Power amp, with Focal Aria 926 fronts. These speakers already put out an impressive amount of bass, but they obviously are lacking for Movies.
Obviously -- you need something else to take care of bass below 45 Hz, which is the cut-off on the Focal's.

Quote:
I really like the look of the SB-13 Ultra, but wonder if it's worth the extra money over the PB-2000.
Yes, but the two subs are rather different. The SB13 is a powerful sealed sub with an awesome finish. The PB-2000 is a less powerful ported sub with vinyl finish. The sealed vs ported sub issue is another topic -- both could work well. But sure, the Ultra will have the edge, especially above 25 Hz.

You can have an idea of the respective responses over at data-bass.com. Choose first the PB13-Ultra measurements in sealed mode -- these are pretty close to the SB13-Ultra. Then add a graph to compare with the SVS PB12-NSD. This will have roughly the same output as the PB-2000 below 30 Hz, and will have about 3 dB more above 40 Hz. You'll see that the Ultra will have much more headroom above 30 Hz, but the PB-2000 will have about double (6 dB) the output of the Ultra at its tuning point (20 Hz). Below the tuning, the output of the PB-2000 will drop fast, but the Ultra's roll-off is shallower and may be picked off by room gain.

Quote:
Also not sure if my room is too big for a sealed Sub. Room is reasonably acoustic friendly - carpet, rectangular in shape. Opens up to a Kitchen/Dining area that is tiled.

4000 cu ft (the important figure here) is pretty large. If the goal is giving more punch to movies, then a ported sub will probably do a better job. If music was more the focus, the Ultra would be more interesting (most music being 30 Hz and above). If the SB13's price point is acceptable, you should even consider a PB12-Plus (or PC12-Plus).

Quote:
I live in Boston Ma. There's no SVS dealer near me.
What you hear in a demo room may be rather far from what you hear in your living room anyway...

post #18349 of 18355 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I just saw the email about the PC-2000 sub. I'm glad I didn't pick up a PC12 NSD when they were on sale. i need something to complement my ancient 20-39PC+ which I run in 16 Hz mode. So it sounds like the PC-2000 will fit the bill without breakign the bank.

Although what difference will the new design make? I see the PC-2000 has a port on the back instead of the top. And there also isn't a plate on the bottom. So it would be sitting directly over my carpet. Will this make much of a difference?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 10:33 AM.
post #18350 of 18355 Old Today, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm glad I didn't pick up a PC12 NSD when they were on sale.
Well it seems they all sold like cupcakes in a single afternoon.

Quote:
i need something to complement my ancient 20-39PC+ which I run in 16 Hz mode. So it sounds like the PC-2000 will fit the bill without breakign the bank.
The NSD would have broke the bank even less And the PC-2000's tuning is still 20 Hz.

Quote:
Although what difference will the new design make? I see the PC-2000 has a port on the back instead of the top. And there also isn't a plate on the bottom. So it would be sitting directly over my carpet. Will this make much of a difference?
The biggest difference between the NSD and 2000 lines is the amp -- 100 more watts and a revised driver means the 2000 line is capable of about 3 dB more output above 30-40 Hz than the NSD line. Under 30 Hz things are mostly unchanged.

As for the PC-2000 in particular, the new port location should not affect its performance in any way. The fabric sock was changed for a foam cover, and the top plate can be chosen in glossy piano black if desired (default is black ash vinyl). You're right, no more plate underneath, but the PC-2000 is unique in the 2000 line in that it sports a set of 4 SVS SoundPath isolation feet it seems. It won't matter much on a carpet I guess but it sure cannot hurt. The only other change is that the price is now the same as the other subs in the series, whereas historically the cylinders were cheaper.

post #18351 of 18355 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Well it seems they all sold like cupcakes in a single afternoon.

The NSD would have broke the bank even less And the PC-2000's tuning is still 20 Hz.

So the PC-2000 is still 20Hz tuning? It shows the same frequency response as the PC12-Plus with 16Hz tuning. The PC12-Plus with 20Hz tuning shows a frequency response of 18Hz to 250Hz. While 16Hz tuning shows 16Hz to 250 Hz.
The PC-2000 shows a frequency response of 16Hz to 260 Hz.

What were the PC12 NSD models going for when they sold out fast? I still see authorized dealers having them for $200 less than the PC-2000. But the PC12 NSD only had a frequency response of 18Hz to 130Hz.

I just know when I tired my 20-39PC+ at a 20Hz tune it lost something so I keep it at the 16Hz tune. So I was hoping the PC-2000 was a 16Hz tune. But I was only looking at the frequecny response listed.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #18352 of 18355 Old Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 85
The PC-2000 is actually tuned about 1 Hz deeper than the PB-2000. And it's also tuned a few Hz deeper than the PC12-NSD - hence the improvement in deep extension shown in the FR chart. I've been living with a PC-2000 in my upstairs media system for a while, and the perceived/subjective extension is very close to our 16 Hz tune in the Plus/Ultra variable tune models.
aaronwt, Gurba and TomC1315 like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #18353 of 18355 Old Today, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The PC-2000 is actually tuned about 1 Hz deeper than the PB-2000. And it's also tuned a few Hz deeper than the PC12-NSD - hence the improvement in deep extension shown in the FR chart. I've been living with a PC-2000 in my upstairs media system for a while, and the perceived/subjective extension is very close to our 16 Hz tune in the Plus/Ultra variable tune models.
Sounds good. I'm about to sell my 2 PB12-NSD DSPs and get 1 or 2 PC-2000. I'm guessing it's gonna be a long wait since they aren't available in Norway until december.
post #18354 of 18355 Old Today, 04:53 PM

Different Driver for PB12 + ??

Being the PB12 + has a 800 watt amp and the cabinet is built like a Brick S-House
Would a sub driver swap; say a TC Sounds unit be of any benefit?
Looking @ the PB13 Ultra Drivers compared to the 12 Plus driver looks to be a considerable difference......It just seems the PB12 Plus has a great cab at 127#'s and a great amp @ 800 watts......I know what PSA did with their "SE" version and that looks like a nice improvement.....I never heard any talk about driver upgrade for this unit....I own the PB12 + and am just wondering the benefit as I paid a little over $1200 for mine and with the recent SVS "trade-up program" I couldn't cost justify sending the pb12 plus back for the pb13 ultra and may now think a driver upgrade could be made to work similar to what PSA did
Thanks for any feedback!

Denon X4000
Funk FW 15.2 (The Beast) & SVS PB12+
CoolerGuys Cabcool 1202 Programable Thermal Fans
EMP Tek E55Ti Towers / E56 Ci Center
Sunfire CRS-3 On Walls (Heights)
post #18355 of 18355 Old Today, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I would not curse at you. I would just call the police. Best way to deal with inconsiderate jack a$$es often times. If you still live in an apartment complex, there is a level of respect and consideration one should have. Once someone becomes a homeowner, there is a level of freedom that comes with it in regards to doing what you want, when you want, as loud as you want. But playing your high output stereo so loud that people scream and curse at you? Same thing with stomping around and jumping, banging, slamming doors etc etc. Learn some respect and you won't get those reactions.
Ok for one i dont know you.2 i am a landlord,So when you look at that i own a home.3 the whole repsect thing i do have it.I respect the world and older people.But at no way do you know me so you cant judge me for my mess up's.So i blast music on a weekend.BIG DEAL.who has not blasted there speaker in there home's.I respect your thought's .But sometime's it's always wonderful to have someone like yourself give some kind of kind word's.And i know you are trying to be kind.And i thank you for the kind word's.But if you seen how it was in front of you when the lady screamed at me lol.You would of been like WTF.it is what it is.I work 5 days a week monday to friday like everyone else does.And for a lady to tell me i cant blast my music when every i feel like it.No it's not going to happen.I will blast my music when i want how i want.Because i feel i derserve to do so .Because i work and pay bill's ust like the billon's of other's in this world.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page