Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 661 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #19801 of 19817 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vader424242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I'm sure there is a thread on AVS that deals with how to take accurate measurements. I use a Radio Shack SPL meter. Basic rule of thumb is Slow and C weighted. Hold it straight in front of you at ear level. Adjust speaker trim for 75dB.
Also, don't point the meter at the speakers... point it straight up at the ceiling. Good luck!
Mongo171 likes this.

Peace... Vader
 

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

 

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Vader424242 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19802 of 19817 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin, TX & Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Will be buying the SVS Prime Bookshelf and Center Speakers within the next couple of weeks and will be using speaker stands that will be either 34 or 36 inches tall for the FR/FL which means that the center channel will be sitting on my stand which is 20 inches tall. Do I need to angle the center channel upward to take into account the difference in height of the FR/FL?

If so, has anyone used one of the these?

Audioengine Desktop Speaker Stands come in two sizes, both are angled at 15 degrees

DS-1
Height 1.7 inches
Width 3.7 inches
Depth 6.3 inches



DS-2
Height 2.3 inches
Width 5 inches
Depth 7.75
mbroadus is online now  
post #19803 of 19817 Old Today, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
KK in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Will be buying the SVS Prime Bookshelf and Center Speakers within the next couple of weeks and will be using speaker stands that will be either 34 or 36 inches tall for the FR/FL which means that the center channel will be sitting on my stand which is 20 inches tall. Do I need to angle the center channel upward to take into account the difference in height of the FR/FL?

If so, has anyone used one of the these?

Audioengine Desktop Speaker Stands come in two sizes, both are angled at 15 degrees

DS-1
Height 1.7 inches
Width 3.7 inches
Depth 6.3 inches



DS-2
Height 2.3 inches
Width 5 inches
Depth 7.75
I angle my center speaker up so that the tweeters are aimed at ear height. Here is what I'm using which works great for me, and you can get it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Monito...e+for+speakers

Hope that helps.

KK in CT is offline  
post #19804 of 19817 Old Today, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin, TX & Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
I angle my center speaker up so that the tweeters are aimed at ear height. Here is what I'm using which works great for me, and you can get it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Monito...e+for+speakers

Hope that helps.
Thanks...I had seen those before but forgot about them. Can you see them under the center channel?
mbroadus is online now  
post #19805 of 19817 Old Today, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
KK in CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thanks...I had seen those before but forgot about them. Can you see them under the center channel?
Since they raise the center off of my console, I can see them. But my center channel is black so it blends in well.

KK in CT is offline  
post #19806 of 19817 Old Today, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Titan319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: St Paul, Mn
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question i have a PB12 Plus and my room is a open concept 23 by 18. Is it better to calibrate the sub in 16 hz tune or 20 hz tune for this size room. I did hear in the 16hz tune there is less group delay vs 20hz tune is this true? Also has anybody tried both these tunes and have a preference.
Titan319 is online now  
post #19807 of 19817 Old Today, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
PWH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 204
2nd PB - 2000 in da house! - Delivered 9 AM this morning... My wife thanks me for the delivery and her workout in trying to muscle into the kitchen.
mbroadus likes this.

Denon: AVR X1000
Klipsch: RF-82 II / RF-62 II / RC-62 II / RB-61 II
SVS: PB-2000 / PB-1000
LG: 47LE5400
Panamax M5100-PM
PWH1 is online now  
post #19808 of 19817 Old Today, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry I know this has probably been beat to death but 600+ pages in this thread is a lot to go through.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
AVR: Yamaha RX-V477, Front L/R: Def Tech ProMonitor 800, Center: Def Tech ProCenter 1000, Sub: Def Tech ProSub 1000, TV: Samsung UN55EH6000, BluRay: PS4

Last edited by boobar; Today at 10:47 AM.
boobar is online now  
post #19809 of 19817 Old Today, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobar View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Don't leave off the PB-1000 just because it's a 10" sub. It is more capable than a lot of 12" subs you might find in a similar price range. Also, you're comparing sealed 12" to ported 10", which has big impact on output.

EDIT: If your listening area is open to the larger room, it's the volume of the whole space that you should use in figuring out what sub you need.
ThinkRationally is online now  
post #19810 of 19817 Old Today, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Don't leave off the PB-1000 just because it's a 10" sub. It is more capable than a lot of 12" subs you might find in a similar price range. Also, you're comparing sealed 12" to ported 10", which has big impact on output.

EDIT: If your listening area is open to the larger room, it's the volume of the whole space that you should use in figuring out what sub you need.
So I should be considering 25 x 16 x 7 (2800 cubic feet) as my room size?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
AVR: Yamaha RX-V477, Front L/R: Def Tech ProMonitor 800, Center: Def Tech ProCenter 1000, Sub: Def Tech ProSub 1000, TV: Samsung UN55EH6000, BluRay: PS4
boobar is online now  
post #19811 of 19817 Old Today, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobar View Post
So I should be considering 25 x 16 x 7 (2800 cubic feet) as my room size?
Maybe one of the other members on here can give a definitive answer, but I think it depends on the size of the opening. Below a certain size and it doesn't have as much of an effect (although many strive for a sealed space). If it's an open concept layout, then, yes, that would be your effective room size when it comes to getting that slam from a subwoofer.

Someone else quoted me according to an email notification, but for some reason I don't see the comment yet. In any case, the suggestion was that consideration should be given to the PB/PC-2000 in that space if your budget allows (it's not a big jump).

I have a PB-1000 in a larger space (nearly 4000 cubic feet). I'm looking to add a second sub, but the 1000 actually does well. It has strong output down to, and below, 20 Hz, and it shakes the couch on deep bass movie scenes.
ThinkRationally is online now  
post #19812 of 19817 Old Today, 11:23 AM
Member
 
Richie Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobar View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry I know this has probably been beat to death but 600+ pages in this thread is a lot to go through.
Its been a while since I actually delved into my Home A/V equipment....with that said I recently upgraded my entire system. I was pretty much in same situation when it came to sub selection. Finally went with the PC 2000 and I can't tell how pleased I am with it and can't wait to get a second one. I am also currently running a 3.2 set up with B&W speakers. I'm running my old Velodyne sub paired with the PC 2000 but I must tell you that the PC 2000 produces a much more delightful tone of bass IMO. I have hardwood floors therefore and I was used rattling the house and everything on the walls now I just fell the bass. Watching Godzilla made me feel bass that I don't remember feeling, even from the movie theatre
Richie Rich is offline  
post #19813 of 19817 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How are people liking their PC-2000 so far?

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.

Last edited by FantaXP7; Today at 11:48 AM.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #19814 of 19817 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin, TX & Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
How are people liking their PC-2000 so far?

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.
I've had mine since Saturday and have used Audyssey a couple times but don't care for its measurements. I ordered a tripod for the mic so we'll see if the settings are different this weekend. When I've tweaked the settings a little and listened to a couple movies (Oblivion and Prometheus), the PC-2000 sounded fantastic. It's all about finding the right settings with your speakers and AVR.
mbroadus is online now  
post #19815 of 19817 Unread Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sdiver2489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I've had mine since Saturday and have used Audyssey a couple times but don't care for its measurements. I ordered a tripod for the mic so we'll see if the settings are different this weekend. When I've tweaked the settings a little and listened to a couple movies (Oblivion and Prometheus), the PC-2000 sounded fantastic. It's all about finding the right settings with your speakers and AVR.
How have you been holding the microphone to date? You absolutely must have a tripod.
Sdiver2489 is online now  
post #19816 of 19817 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sdiver2489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan319 View Post
Question i have a PB12 Plus and my room is a open concept 23 by 18. Is it better to calibrate the sub in 16 hz tune or 20 hz tune for this size room. I did hear in the 16hz tune there is less group delay vs 20hz tune is this true? Also has anybody tried both these tunes and have a preference.
Depends if you find that you are stressing the sub beyond its capabilities. If you don't, then 16Hz is almost always better. 20Hz gains 3dB of output capability.
Sdiver2489 is online now  
post #19817 of 19817 Unread Today, 12:17 PM
Member
 
Richie Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post
How are people liking their PC-2000 so far?

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.
I used the Avanced MACC to calibrate at first. Ultimately adjusted my whole system based on my listening preferrence because I think that no calibration system can determine how i personnaly like to listen to music or watch a movie....but it s a good starting refrerrence though (just my humble non-professional opinion with nothing to base it on beside my own personal experience ) Forgot to add...with the help, guidance and support from the SVS staff of course!
Richie Rich is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off