Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 661 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #19801 of 19820 Old Today, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thanks...I had seen those before but forgot about them. Can you see them under the center channel?
Since they raise the center off of my console, I can see them. But my center channel is black so it blends in well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19802 of 19820 Old Today, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question i have a PB12 Plus and my room is a open concept 23 by 18. Is it better to calibrate the sub in 16 hz tune or 20 hz tune for this size room. I did hear in the 16hz tune there is less group delay vs 20hz tune is this true? Also has anybody tried both these tunes and have a preference.
post #19803 of 19820 Old Today, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 205
2nd PB - 2000 in da house! - Delivered 9 AM this morning... My wife thanks me for the delivery and her workout in trying to muscle into the kitchen.
mbroadus and cchunter like this.

Denon: AVR X1000
Klipsch: RF-82 II / RF-62 II / RC-62 II / RB-61 II
SVS: PB-2000 / PB-1000
LG: 47LE5400
Panamax M5100-PM
post #19804 of 19820 Old Today, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry I know this has probably been beat to death but 600+ pages in this thread is a lot to go through.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
AVR: Yamaha RX-V477, Front L/R: Def Tech ProMonitor 800, Center: Def Tech ProCenter 1000, Sub: Def Tech ProSub 1000, TV: Samsung UN55EH6000, BluRay: PS4

Last edited by boobar; Today at 10:47 AM.
post #19805 of 19820 Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobar View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Don't leave off the PB-1000 just because it's a 10" sub. It is more capable than a lot of 12" subs you might find in a similar price range. Also, you're comparing sealed 12" to ported 10", which has big impact on output.

EDIT: If your listening area is open to the larger room, it's the volume of the whole space that you should use in figuring out what sub you need.
post #19806 of 19820 Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Don't leave off the PB-1000 just because it's a 10" sub. It is more capable than a lot of 12" subs you might find in a similar price range. Also, you're comparing sealed 12" to ported 10", which has big impact on output.

EDIT: If your listening area is open to the larger room, it's the volume of the whole space that you should use in figuring out what sub you need.
So I should be considering 25 x 16 x 7 (2800 cubic feet) as my room size?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
AVR: Yamaha RX-V477, Front L/R: Def Tech ProMonitor 800, Center: Def Tech ProCenter 1000, Sub: Def Tech ProSub 1000, TV: Samsung UN55EH6000, BluRay: PS4
post #19807 of 19820 Old Today, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Maybe one of the other members on here can give a definitive answer, but I think it depends on the size of the opening. Below a certain size and it doesn't have as much of an effect (although many strive for a sealed space). If it's an open concept layout, then, yes, that would be your effective room size when it comes to getting that slam from a subwoofer.

Someone else quoted me according to an email notification, but for some reason I don't see the comment yet. In any case, the suggestion was that consideration should be given to the PB/PC-2000 in that space if your budget allows (it's not a big jump).

I have a PB-1000 in a larger space (nearly 4000 cubic feet). I'm looking to add a second sub, but the 1000 actually does well. It has strong output down to, and below, 20 Hz, and it shakes the couch on deep bass movie scenes.
post #19808 of 19820 Old Today, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sorry I know this has probably been beat to death but 600+ pages in this thread is a lot to go through.
Its been a while since I actually delved into my Home A/V equipment....with that said I recently upgraded my entire system. I was pretty much in same situation when it came to sub selection. Finally went with the PC 2000 and I can't tell how pleased I am with it and can't wait to get a second one. I am also currently running a 3.2 set up with B&W speakers. I'm running my old Velodyne sub paired with the PC 2000 but I must tell you that the PC 2000 produces a much more delightful tone of bass IMO. I have hardwood floors therefore and I was used rattling the house and everything on the walls now I just fell the bass. Watching Godzilla made me feel bass that I don't remember feeling, even from the movie theatre
post #19809 of 19820 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How are people liking their PC-2000 so far?

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.

Last edited by FantaXP7; Today at 11:48 AM.
post #19810 of 19820 Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.
I've had mine since Saturday and have used Audyssey a couple times but don't care for its measurements. I ordered a tripod for the mic so we'll see if the settings are different this weekend. When I've tweaked the settings a little and listened to a couple movies (Oblivion and Prometheus), the PC-2000 sounded fantastic. It's all about finding the right settings with your speakers and AVR.
post #19811 of 19820 Unread Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I've had mine since Saturday and have used Audyssey a couple times but don't care for its measurements. I ordered a tripod for the mic so we'll see if the settings are different this weekend. When I've tweaked the settings a little and listened to a couple movies (Oblivion and Prometheus), the PC-2000 sounded fantastic. It's all about finding the right settings with your speakers and AVR.
How have you been holding the microphone to date? You absolutely must have a tripod.
post #19812 of 19820 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan319 View Post
Question i have a PB12 Plus and my room is a open concept 23 by 18. Is it better to calibrate the sub in 16 hz tune or 20 hz tune for this size room. I did hear in the 16hz tune there is less group delay vs 20hz tune is this true? Also has anybody tried both these tunes and have a preference.
Depends if you find that you are stressing the sub beyond its capabilities. If you don't, then 16Hz is almost always better. 20Hz gains 3dB of output capability.
post #19813 of 19820 Unread Today, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I used the Avanced MACC to calibrate at first. Ultimately adjusted my whole system based on my listening preferrence because I think that no calibration system can determine how i personnaly like to listen to music or watch a movie....but it s a good starting refrerrence though (just my humble non-professional opinion with nothing to base it on beside my own personal experience ) Forgot to add...with the help, guidance and support from the SVS staff of course!
post #19814 of 19820 Unread Today, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Yes.

So I'd probably look at either a PB2000 or maybe a pair of PB1000s depending what you've got the room for.
post #19815 of 19820 Unread Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
How have you been holding the microphone to date? You absolutely must have a tripod.
I had a tall bar stool and stacked a couple books on top and placed the microphone on that for all 6 listening positions. Had some really weird readings, so I ordered a tripod. I adjust all the settings to what I thought they should be and it sounded very good with guidance from the "Official" Audyssey thread folks.

Thinking of getting an SPL meter and Avia disk or Room Equalization Wizard software and a USB mic. Football season will be over soon and I have nothing else to do on weekends till it gets warm.
post #19816 of 19820 Unread Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had a tall bar stool and stacked a couple books on top and placed the microphone on that for all 6 listening positions. Had some really weird readings, so I ordered a tripod. I adjust all the settings to what I thought they should be and it sounded very good with guidance from the "Official" Audyssey thread folks.

Thinking of getting an SPL meter and Avia disk or Room Equalization Wizard software and a USB mic. Football season will be over soon and I have nothing else to do on weekends till it gets warm.
Yes the problem with that is just like how on a speaker, the front baffle "reenforces" certain wavelengths and separates 180 degree space from 360 degree space. So the same will happen to the microphone. The microphone will read a resonance when placed against a wide surface. You ideally want the microphone placed as far away from a reflecting surface as possible with still being in the listening position.

Tightly group your measurement locations in the primary seating positions, use all 8 positions (varying distance in x,y 1/2 foot or so at a time).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page