Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 661 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #19801 of 19825 Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I'm sure there is a thread on AVS that deals with how to take accurate measurements. I use a Radio Shack SPL meter. Basic rule of thumb is Slow and C weighted. Hold it straight in front of you at ear level. Adjust speaker trim for 75dB.
Also, don't point the meter at the speakers... point it straight up at the ceiling. Good luck!
Mongo171 likes this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19802 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Will be buying the SVS Prime Bookshelf and Center Speakers within the next couple of weeks and will be using speaker stands that will be either 34 or 36 inches tall for the FR/FL which means that the center channel will be sitting on my stand which is 20 inches tall. Do I need to angle the center channel upward to take into account the difference in height of the FR/FL?

If so, has anyone used one of the these?

Audioengine Desktop Speaker Stands come in two sizes, both are angled at 15 degrees

DS-1
Height 1.7 inches
Width 3.7 inches
Depth 6.3 inches

DS-2
Height 2.3 inches
Width 5 inches
Depth 7.75
post #19803 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Will be buying the SVS Prime Bookshelf and Center Speakers within the next couple of weeks and will be using speaker stands that will be either 34 or 36 inches tall for the FR/FL which means that the center channel will be sitting on my stand which is 20 inches tall. Do I need to angle the center channel upward to take into account the difference in height of the FR/FL?

If so, has anyone used one of the these?

Audioengine Desktop Speaker Stands come in two sizes, both are angled at 15 degrees

DS-1
Height 1.7 inches
Width 3.7 inches
Depth 6.3 inches

DS-2
Height 2.3 inches
Width 5 inches
Depth 7.75
I angle my center speaker up so that the tweeters are aimed at ear height. Here is what I'm using which works great for me, and you can get it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Monito...e+for+speakers

Hope that helps.

post #19804 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
I angle my center speaker up so that the tweeters are aimed at ear height. Here is what I'm using which works great for me, and you can get it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Monito...e+for+speakers

Hope that helps.
Thanks...I had seen those before but forgot about them. Can you see them under the center channel?
post #19805 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Thanks...I had seen those before but forgot about them. Can you see them under the center channel?
Since they raise the center off of my console, I can see them. But my center channel is black so it blends in well.

post #19806 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Question i have a PB12 Plus and my room is a open concept 23 by 18. Is it better to calibrate the sub in 16 hz tune or 20 hz tune for this size room. I did hear in the 16hz tune there is less group delay vs 20hz tune is this true? Also has anybody tried both these tunes and have a preference.
post #19807 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 206
2nd PB - 2000 in da house! - Delivered 9 AM this morning... My wife thanks me for the delivery and her workout in trying to muscle into the kitchen.
mbroadus, cchunter and retro124 like this.

Denon: AVR X1000
Klipsch: RF-82 II / RF-62 II / RC-62 II / RB-61 II
SVS: PB-2000 / PB-1000
LG: 47LE5400
Panamax M5100-PM
post #19808 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry I know this has probably been beat to death but 600+ pages in this thread is a lot to go through.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
AVR: Yamaha RX-V477, Front L/R: Def Tech ProMonitor 800, Center: Def Tech ProCenter 1000, Sub: Def Tech ProSub 1000, TV: Samsung UN55EH6000, BluRay: PS4

Last edited by boobar; Yesterday at 10:47 AM.
post #19809 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobar View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new sub for my 3.1 HT setup and I think I have narrowed it down to 3. SVS Merlin suggests either a SB-1000 or a PB-1000 but I would also like to consider the SB-2000. I have always been a fan of a 12" woofer so the PB-1000 has taken a bit of a backseat in my mind. Space is a concern although all three of these subs would be OK, the PB-1000 is getting close to max. My room is 25 x 16 x 7 but the seating area to watch movies is only 16 x 16 x 7. I have Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's for my front L/R and a ProCenter 1000 for my center channel. I am going to be replacing and aging Definitive Technology ProSub 1000.

The SB-2000 has moved to the top of my list but is it worth the extra cash and would I be better with the 2000 given the 1800 cubic foot listening area?

Don't leave off the PB-1000 just because it's a 10" sub. It is more capable than a lot of 12" subs you might find in a similar price range. Also, you're comparing sealed 12" to ported 10", which has big impact on output.

EDIT: If your listening area is open to the larger room, it's the volume of the whole space that you should use in figuring out what sub you need.
post #19810 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Don't leave off the PB-1000 just because it's a 10" sub. It is more capable than a lot of 12" subs you might find in a similar price range. Also, you're comparing sealed 12" to ported 10", which has big impact on output.

EDIT: If your listening area is open to the larger room, it's the volume of the whole space that you should use in figuring out what sub you need.
So I should be considering 25 x 16 x 7 (2800 cubic feet) as my room size?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
AVR: Yamaha RX-V477, Front L/R: Def Tech ProMonitor 800, Center: Def Tech ProCenter 1000, Sub: Def Tech ProSub 1000, TV: Samsung UN55EH6000, BluRay: PS4
post #19811 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Maybe one of the other members on here can give a definitive answer, but I think it depends on the size of the opening. Below a certain size and it doesn't have as much of an effect (although many strive for a sealed space). If it's an open concept layout, then, yes, that would be your effective room size when it comes to getting that slam from a subwoofer.

Someone else quoted me according to an email notification, but for some reason I don't see the comment yet. In any case, the suggestion was that consideration should be given to the PB/PC-2000 in that space if your budget allows (it's not a big jump).

I have a PB-1000 in a larger space (nearly 4000 cubic feet). I'm looking to add a second sub, but the 1000 actually does well. It has strong output down to, and below, 20 Hz, and it shakes the couch on deep bass movie scenes.
post #19812 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sorry I know this has probably been beat to death but 600+ pages in this thread is a lot to go through.
Its been a while since I actually delved into my Home A/V equipment....with that said I recently upgraded my entire system. I was pretty much in same situation when it came to sub selection. Finally went with the PC 2000 and I can't tell how pleased I am with it and can't wait to get a second one. I am also currently running a 3.2 set up with B&W speakers. I'm running my old Velodyne sub paired with the PC 2000 but I must tell you that the PC 2000 produces a much more delightful tone of bass IMO. I have hardwood floors therefore and I was used rattling the house and everything on the walls now I just fell the bass. Watching Godzilla made me feel bass that I don't remember feeling, even from the movie theatre
post #19813 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
How are people liking their PC-2000 so far?

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.

Last edited by FantaXP7; Yesterday at 11:48 AM.
post #19814 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I have had limited time to play with it and I am missing the audyssey mic so I haven't calibrated yet...But I am on the fence with it so far. I can hear a benefit at times but I am not blown away yet.

I will reserve judgment until after I calibrate with audyssey, just curious to hear what others think.
I've had mine since Saturday and have used Audyssey a couple times but don't care for its measurements. I ordered a tripod for the mic so we'll see if the settings are different this weekend. When I've tweaked the settings a little and listened to a couple movies (Oblivion and Prometheus), the PC-2000 sounded fantastic. It's all about finding the right settings with your speakers and AVR.
post #19815 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
I've had mine since Saturday and have used Audyssey a couple times but don't care for its measurements. I ordered a tripod for the mic so we'll see if the settings are different this weekend. When I've tweaked the settings a little and listened to a couple movies (Oblivion and Prometheus), the PC-2000 sounded fantastic. It's all about finding the right settings with your speakers and AVR.
How have you been holding the microphone to date? You absolutely must have a tripod.
post #19816 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan319 View Post
Question i have a PB12 Plus and my room is a open concept 23 by 18. Is it better to calibrate the sub in 16 hz tune or 20 hz tune for this size room. I did hear in the 16hz tune there is less group delay vs 20hz tune is this true? Also has anybody tried both these tunes and have a preference.
Depends if you find that you are stressing the sub beyond its capabilities. If you don't, then 16Hz is almost always better. 20Hz gains 3dB of output capability.
post #19817 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I used the Avanced MACC to calibrate at first. Ultimately adjusted my whole system based on my listening preferrence because I think that no calibration system can determine how i personnaly like to listen to music or watch a movie....but it s a good starting refrerrence though (just my humble non-professional opinion with nothing to base it on beside my own personal experience ) Forgot to add...with the help, guidance and support from the SVS staff of course!
post #19818 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Yes.

So I'd probably look at either a PB2000 or maybe a pair of PB1000s depending what you've got the room for.
post #19819 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
How have you been holding the microphone to date? You absolutely must have a tripod.
I had a tall bar stool and stacked a couple books on top and placed the microphone on that for all 6 listening positions. Had some really weird readings, so I ordered a tripod. I adjust all the settings to what I thought they should be and it sounded very good with guidance from the "Official" Audyssey thread folks.

Thinking of getting an SPL meter and Avia disk or Room Equalization Wizard software and a USB mic. Football season will be over soon and I have nothing else to do on weekends till it gets warm.
post #19820 of 19825 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had a tall bar stool and stacked a couple books on top and placed the microphone on that for all 6 listening positions. Had some really weird readings, so I ordered a tripod. I adjust all the settings to what I thought they should be and it sounded very good with guidance from the "Official" Audyssey thread folks.

Thinking of getting an SPL meter and Avia disk or Room Equalization Wizard software and a USB mic. Football season will be over soon and I have nothing else to do on weekends till it gets warm.
Yes the problem with that is just like how on a speaker, the front baffle "reenforces" certain wavelengths and separates 180 degree space from 360 degree space. So the same will happen to the microphone. The microphone will read a resonance when placed against a wide surface. You ideally want the microphone placed as far away from a reflecting surface as possible with still being in the listening position.

Tightly group your measurement locations in the primary seating positions, use all 8 positions (varying distance in x,y 1/2 foot or so at a time).
mbroadus likes this.
post #19821 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes the problem with that is just like how on a speaker, the front baffle "reenforces" certain wavelengths and separates 180 degree space from 360 degree space. So the same will happen to the microphone. The microphone will read a resonance when placed against a wide surface. You ideally want the microphone placed as far away from a reflecting surface as possible with still being in the listening position.

Tightly group your measurement locations in the primary seating positions, use all 8 positions (varying distance in x,y 1/2 foot or so at a time).
Thanks. Yes, I was getting some weird readings...150Hz crossover for my front left and right speakers and center.
post #19822 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
You really need to call/email SVS and speak with Ed Mullen or whoever is manning the customer service desk these days.

That is a large space and you should be concentrating on total SPL so ported subwoofers are probably going to make you happier than sealed unless you have $$$ to spend on a huge sealed subwoofer.

IMO what you should be considering in such a space is two PB1000s or PB2000s, unless you have a desire for the following:

Bass to 14Hz that you can actually hear and feel

Bass that rattles your brain and makes your ears bleed

Bass that is technically 'pure' because all the sound comes from a woofer not a port with 360 degrees of phase delay from the woofer, not that you are likely to notice the difference if you already use ported main speakers full range anyway and cannot tell that part of the sound is coming from a port. I cannot really tell the difference myself with competently designed ported speakers.

Two subwoofers accomplish the following:

1) placed within a quarter wavelength of each other (for deep bass that means placed just about anywhere in the room) they combine and couple acoustically with each other to add 3dB of output because of the larger radiating area. The effect is similar to what happens to efficiency with a larger driver of double equivalent area. This table demonstrates the equivalent single driver size of a given dual subwoofer wrt efficiency:
Code:
 8         11.313708499
10         14.1421356237
12         16.9705627485
15         21.2132034356
For SVS subwoofers, even the PB1000 will reproduce below 20Hz and two of them are equivalent to a 14" 600W subwoofer in output capability down to about 19Hz. Below that, the highpass will roll off steeply even though boundary reinforcement from walls and floor does help the low frequency extension a little if it is placed in an edge or corner.

2) The biggest advantage of two subwoofers is that the coupling between them also effectively dilutes or eliminates some of the room modes that tend to color the frequency response.

3) Two of them placed either side of the sweet spot also allows a much higher crossover frequency for the center channel to sound 'natural' since the subs create a 'phantom center' effect. Two of them placed at different distances from the sweet spot leads to delay issues that can color the sound but not severely IMO and tweaking the delay setting on the closer sub can help with that a little.

If you are really under a tight budget you should consider buying used. SVS products are robust and if it works when you pay for it chances are good it will continue to work for a long time afterward. You can also buy from SVS 'outlet specials' page and get products with the same minor cosmetic defects yours will have after a year or two of use anyway.

http://www.svsound.com/specials/outlet-specials

The older discontinued SVS technology is also a great price/performance market. I purchased three used PB10s (equivalent to the PB1000 but with older analog signal processing inside and a slightly larger cabinet) for $270, $270, and $320 from local Craigslist (the third was just last night). These analog subwoofers have nearly identical performance to the newer DSP subwoofers. The biggest disadvantage of the older analog tech is the highpass and limiters are not as good at protecting the driver, so be careful to keep the volume low at the opening of Edge of Tomorrow etc. or risk blowing the drivers with 10Hz high-amplitude square waves.

If you do buy used you will need to check frequently because the deals come and go quickly. Basically to buy a used SVS subwoofer at a decent price you have to be the first or second person responding to the ad and aggressively close on the deal. Same goes for the Outlet Specials on SVS web site, check frequently and when you see what you want, buy it immediately.

If you have an active used market near you, consider it a great place to save money on quality speakers and enjoy whatever system you end up with!
post #19823 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan319 View Post
I've tried both the 20Hz and 16Hz and have settled on the 16Hz.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150111_160343986.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	508657

Name:	IMG_20150111_162812569.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	508665

This space measures 29' x (14' on one end and 16' on the other end) with a 3'W opening and a 5'W opening.

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #19824 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post
2nd PB - 2000 in da house! - Delivered 9 AM this morning... My wife thanks me for the delivery and her workout in trying to muscle into the kitchen.
I'm sure she did, just tell her honey be happy I did not order PB12-Plus or 13-Ultra
PWH1 and Mongo171 like this.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #19825 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Depends if you find that you are stressing the sub beyond its capabilities. If you don't, then 16Hz is almost always better. 20Hz gains 3dB of output capability.
Thanks i do find i like the 16hz after some calibration vs the 20hz. It seems quicker if that is the correct term and also seems like less group delay. And even tho i am in a big room im running the volume at -19 so i am defiantly not stressing the sub.
post #19826 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
I've tried both the 20Hz and 16Hz and have settled on the 16Hz.

Attachment 508657

Attachment 508665

This space measures 29' x (14' on one end and 16' on the other end) with a 3'W opening and a 5'W opening.
Did it just blend better in the 16hz tune or what was you reason for picking that tune?

Last edited by Titan319; Yesterday at 06:11 PM.
post #19827 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Official SVS Owners/Support Thread.

Can someone point me toward a tutorial on how to calibrate a PC-2000 sub other than Audyssey? I hear you guys talking about calibrating to a specific #Hz and I have nothing else to do on weekend now that football season is over. I have a new PC-2000, spl meter, tripod and 6 pack of beer that need to be used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19828 of 19825 Unread Yesterday, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 49
SVS PB12+ or PSA XS30?
post #19829 of 19825 Unread Today, 12:43 AM

Pc 2000

Here's a pic of my PC 2000.....awaiting for its twin to arrive so that the tiny box on the right can be replaced
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AV.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	509426  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page