Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 696 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #20851 of 20859 Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Using 40 with music your towers are doing 99% of the work anyway. Very little content below 40 in music unless you're listening to dubstep.
Bigham16 and TomC1315 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20852 of 20859 Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0S View Post
mantaraydesign, just based on my personal experience I would recommend you at least try listening to 2-channel using the Audyssey set up for a while with at most the adjustments Ed Mullen recommends. Right now perhaps you are thinking Pure Direct sounds better - but really its just taking you back to what you are used to - which is in fact inaccurate due to room issues.

Anyway, my experience was the same but after listening with Audyssey flat for a couple of weeks I realized I was getting a more detailed soundstage and going back to Pure Direct (or without Audyssey) collapsed the music back into darkness...
What is Audyssey Flat? Where do I go into the Denon receiver to get Audyssey Flat?

I have listened with Audyssey on in Direct mode and Stereo mode and did not really enjoy the music in 2-channel music. I am using a standalone CD player with rca cable (Left/Right). My CD player does not have HDMI connection.

Let me know how to listen to 2-channel music with Audyssey Flat. As of right now, Pure Direct Mode is my favorite choice.

Last edited by mantaraydesign; 03-26-2015 at 01:51 PM.
post #20853 of 20859 Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Using 40 with music your towers are doing 99% of the work anyway. Very little content below 40 in music unless you're listening to dubstep.
I would tend to agree. Hip-hop, dub-step, trance, rap, and acoustic pipe organ are a few examples where there can be very deep bass on music recordings. Generally though, music like rock, pop, jazz, progressive, etc. doesn't have much content <35 Hz (low E on the electric bass is 40 Hz).
Bigham16 likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #20854 of 20859 Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I will give Large a listen and see if i can tell a difference. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
I would tend to agree. Hip-hop, dub-step, trance, rap, and acoustic pipe organ are a few examples where there can be very deep bass on music recordings. Generally though, music like rock, pop, jazz, progressive, etc. doesn't have much content <35 Hz (low E on the electric bass is 40 Hz).

post #20855 of 20859 Unread Yesterday, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
You can double check with Chris K - but I believe Audyssey does the level match and time alignment from the primary LP on the first measurement.

What measurement system are you using to conclude Audyssey sets the subwoofer channel 4-5 dB lower than the speaker channels?

I have noticed that Audyssey sometimes doesn't hit exactly 75 dB on the speaker channels, so you have to check the speaker channels and the sub channel to determine the relative delta (if it exists) between them. If you are using a C-weighted SPL meter, add ~3 dB to the meter reading to get the actual unweighted SPL from the sub channel.

The Disney WOW DVD uses the LFE channel for the subwoofer rumble tone. Presumably that tone is encoded 10 dB lower than the speaker channel tones, but I can't speak to that as factual.
Hi Ed,

The Disney WOW disc tones are all recorded at -20 dbSF (as confirmed by Roger Dressler - see the below link), so there is indeed a 10dB delta between the sats and LFE. In this case, the disc fails to account for the 10dB goose to the LFE by the AVR (WOW is actually 10dB too hot). After letting Audyssey do its thing, I double checked all of the sats to make sure they were at the same level (using a Galaxy 140 SPL meter at the MLP), and they were all pretty much spot-on. The LFE, however, came in only 5dB higher (allowing for the 3dB shortfall) instead of the expected 10dB, so I had to raise the trim by about 5dB just to get flat with the sats. At the end of the day, I have the gain on both subs set to -14 (the best I could do before my AVR trim was buried at -12), Audyssey set the AVR trim to -10.5, I had to raise this to -5.5 for a flat calibration, and further goosed it to -2.5... In total the final trim is +8dB above where Audyssey put it. Both MultiEQ and XT32 yielded similar results.

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

Even checking against SD-DVE from back in the day (which has a well-documented 10dB discrepancy) yields the same results. Of course, that is only in my room, and every room is different. But, given the number of similar reports (concerning Audyssey setting LFE too cold), the few reports of Audyssey's final LFE trim setting being correct with no tweaking needed (I even saw one where the guy had to lower the trim to taste...?!?) seem to be the exception...

If anybody can see a problem that I missed, it would be you. Here are my before/after FR graphs:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	630769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Audyssey.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	630777  

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; Today at 08:59 AM.
post #20856 of 20859 Unread Today, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PB2000's WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg6771 View Post
I have finally decided to upgrade from my older 15" Definitive Powerfield 1500 and 15" Atlantic Tech THX 452PBM. These subs were fine for their day but were limited on how low they could get. I decided and ordered the Dual PB2000s. I can't wait till they get here and am sure they will have much more punch than my older subs. SVS was awesome and answered all my questions.

Well after a week with the Dual PB-2000's, I can say I am truly impressed. The upgrade from my older 15" (subs?) was well worth it. Even though I am using towers for most channels I took the advice found within these forums and set my crossovers at 80hz for all channels. The bass is tight, and not overbearing at all. I did end up running the subs 3db above what Audyssey had set them to and that put these Subs into the bed rock. My room is about 5000 cubic feet and dual subs seemed the way to go. I may still consider saving during the next year and upgrading to Dual PB12-Plus'. For $1200 more plus shipping it seems like a no-brainer. So glad I tried them out.

My system: 7.1.2

Panasonic 65VT30 THX Plasma
Denon 4311 (powering surround channels only)
Adcom GFA555 x 2 (powering front and centers)
L/R: Definitive BP30 x 2
C: Definitive CLR2000
SL/SR: Definitive BP30 x 2
SRBL/SRBR: Definitive BP30 x 2
PLIIZ Heights: Definitive BP1X Bi-Polars x 2
Dual SVS PB-2000 Subwoofers

Last edited by jrg6771; Today at 11:13 AM.
post #20857 of 20859 Unread Today, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What Channel Level?

I had my 20 year old sub repaired a couple of months ago and last week it went out again during the Red Sea scene in Exodus. This coming Wed. Magnolia (Best Buy) will be delivering a new SVS PB 2000 and I will set it up using the auto MCACC system setup on my Pioneer Elite receiver. This system had set the channel level for my old sub at -10dB...I guess I'm a bit worried because of the recent problems with old sub and am wondering what the normal channel level range is for the SVS PB 2000 using a Pioneer Elite receiver?
post #20858 of 20859 Unread Today, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrg6771 View Post
Well after a week with the Dual PB-2000's, I can say I am truly impressed.
Congrats...I've had my dual PB-2000's (6dB hot) a year now and am still extremely happy with their performance in my 4800 CF theater. As I approached their one year anniversary, I ordered a single PB-13 Ultra to see if I wanted/needed more. No question the Ultra has a bit more output around port tune, but I ultimately decided the advantage of dual 2K's were still adequate for me...YMMV. Of course, dual PB-13U's would be a different scenario. It'll be interesting to see what you ultimately decide a year from now.. Enjoy!
jrg6771 likes this.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #20859 of 20859 Unread Today, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rabbit View Post
I guess I'm a bit worried because of the recent problems with old sub
Although I'm not technically competent to speak on the subject, I believe the SVS subs all have limiting parameters in their design to prevent your past sub experience...so I'm pretty sure no worries.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR809
Klipsch: RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-52 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page