Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Contact SVS, they should help you choose much better than we can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just picked up HomeTheater magazine, the annual buyers guide. List hundreds of brands and items. Looked under subwoofers... no SVS listed?? I saw other internet only brands, Outlaw, Axiom, HSU.

For a sub company that has such a great following here, you would think they
would at least have a listing?

Any idea of whats going on??
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
woot!

super dirty , super clean , pow
Old 10-16-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

This forum isn't a good sample of the real world?

Probably politics.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
They probably just missed it. As I recall, SVS advertises in the magazine.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Please post all SVS related topics to this thread. Anything outside this thread may be moved to this thread.

Thank you.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post

Well, I got the sub in. One thing to mention -- WOW is it ever huge for a 10" sub housing. My roommate who is 6'4" can fit in that box all curled up, and he's no contortionist. The first thing I did when I got it (radio shack didn't end up having the spl meter on hand) was crank it up a little and play a couple scenes from war of the worlds. the person sitting on the couch in front of the port jumped a couple times because of the air coming out of the port startling him . All in all this thing brings down the house, now I just need to get it all configured to see what it can really do .

Also now I need the surround speakers to match. They did fine before, but man can I tell how sub-par they are now.

Another happy SVS customer - insert huge smile -

Good to hear that your happy with it. Makes me think more about my future endeavors.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Curtis,

congrats on your new purchase; you'll not regret it at all!
I do have a PB10 also and I'm pretty much happy with it.

Let me just tell you what I've found at my new HT arrangement:

I placed the SW at BACK WALL, right besides a sofa and tell you what, will not remove it from there anymore. It makes the house rocks!

Enjoy the new baby the best you can; you just deserve it, don't ya?

Cheers / Avliner.

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
its nice to see that this thread survived and made it as a sticky.

i'm using a PB-10 ISD with an athena 5.0 speaker package and H/K AVR-235 receiver. i've had it for almost a year, and it still amazes me. i recently moved to a new house and am getting much flatter response and better performance from the sub in its new home, which is about 8" from a side wall, 18" from the corner, right next to a couch. bass now overall has a more tactile feel to it, i can only imagine what some of the higher end models can do.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

its nice to see that this thread survived and made it as a sticky.

yup

Old 10-17-2006, 05:13 PM

I pulled the trigger on a 20-39 PCI yesterday. I'm kind of excited because this will be my first real sub, the only other one I have ever owned was a passive Kenwood which was included in a low end HTB setup.

My current room is 12x19x8 and I'm running JBL E90 fronts, EC35 center and E50 rears tied together with an Onkyo 603. Kind of lower end stuff but I'm happy with it. Hopefully the sub will add a new dimension to my movies and music.

Cheers
Mike

It takes a sweet little bullet from a pretty blue gun to put those scarlet ribbons in your hair
Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
It will definitely do that...congrats.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks Ron,

I purchased the Avia disc and SPL meter as well so I can get the best out of it. One of the folks I work with says that it's a waste of time but he also said that his Infinity HPS-1000 will blow any SVS out of the water. Time will tell I suppose.

It takes a sweet little bullet from a pretty blue gun to put those scarlet ribbons in your hair
Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog314159 View Post

Thanks Ron,

I purchased the Avia disc and SPL meter as well so I can get the best out of it. One of the folks I work with says that it's a waste of time but he also said that his Infinity HPS-1000 will blow any SVS out of the water. Time will tell I suppose.

HA!

invite him over after you've calibrated your system, and pop in war of the worlds.

calibration is essential, IMO. people spend thousands on this stuff and then don't take the time/effort to get it working to its full potential.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

>I purchased the Avia disc and SPL meter as well so I can get the best out of it. One of the folks I work with says that it's a waste of time <<br />
Sounds like the real waste of time is talking to that friend at work.

Calibration is absolutely essential. Not just sub, but all speakers. Avia is a great choice. Also, specifically for sub, I recommend going to Realtraps.com and downloading the bass tones. Avia goes down to like 22 Hz, but the real traps tones start at 10 Hz, so you can really see what your sub is doing down low.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

I would also like to put in a word for RoomEQWizard to calibrate the sub.
You need a soundcard and some cables and/or adapters, but it's a really nifty (free) tool for measuring sub response.
Once set up, it's makes for fast (and fun) measuring of your room's frequency response. I enjoyed running frequency sweeps at various places in my room and seeing how the response was different in different places.

I also did the whole BFD thing which was neat as well and definitely improved the sound quality in my room.

Mitch
Old 10-18-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog314159 View Post

My current room is 12x19x8 and I'm running JBL E90 fronts, EC35 center and E50 rears tied together with an Onkyo 603. Kind of lower end stuff but I'm happy with it. Hopefully the sub will add a new dimension to my movies and music. Mike

Hi Mike,

don't underestimate the dark side of the force...

My speaker setup is quite similar to yours ( E-50 as mains L/R; EC-35 as C, + E-30's as S/SB, along with a PB10).
Even though the JBL's are considered to be "low end stuff" by some, they still have an impressive performance.
Add to this an SVS SW and will be on a different league though.

Once you got your system properly setup, you'll feel the difference and then you may invite your friend for a demo - or even better - tell him to bring his Infinity over for an A/B test (he'll see who's gonna be the winner though).

BTW, congrats & enjoy your system.

Cheers / Avliner.

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Old 10-18-2006, 06:35 PM

Thanks folks,

I'm going to try to wring every bit of performance from the JBL's and SVS. The only negative point is that I live on an island in a heavily snowbird laden area and the neighbors arrived just last week on either side of me. I'm not going to be very popular this year but the walls are rather thick so maybe it won't be so much of a problem.

I doubt the guy at work would bring his sub over for a comparison, the box is massive and probably weighs in excess of 150lbs. He's been trying to sell it for the last few weeks which is likely his reason for hyping it so much.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just purchased an SVS 25-31 PC Plus, it arrived today. My other sub is a PB2+ (PB12 Plus/2). I wanted to know from other cylinder sub owners what to expect with the cylinder and what are some of the tweaks to really get the 25-31 PC Plus dialed in well. I have my PB2+ dialed in spot on and it performs very well.

The 25-31 PC Plus is for my wifes 5.1 setup. She liked the cylinder look over the box Velodyne we had so we upgraded. The cylinder does look great in place and takes up significantly less room on the floor even though it is much taller than the box sub it is replacing.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

How many PB2+ (PB12Plus/2) owners have upgraded their drivers to the 12.3 version??? I did and am curious to what your experience was after the upgrade???

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Old 10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hello all I am looking to upgrade my paradigm PDR8 to Either the SVS SB12-Plus Or a velo SPL1200R
I was hoping some SVS owners could help me make up my mind the velo is much more $$ but has a great room eq and a more powerful amp .
Anty thoughts
Old 10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have demoed the SB-12 and it is an excellent sub. If you are looking for a small sub with significant performance and great aesthetics, the SB-12 is the way to go. I demoed the velo but the ambient conditions were not the best so I cannot offer up a true opinion on the Velo.

Kipp
Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Kipp,

What can you tell me about the PB-10 and 25-31PCi.

I'm looking to buy one of them not sure which. This would be my first real sub, coming from a Advent 8inch sub, anything would be better.

Closed Room is 16x12x8 80%HT 20% Music

I can get the PB-10 for roughly $100 less than the 25-31.

I don't get close to reference levels when listening to movies(to loud for me). Looking for deep chest pounding bass with accurate sound.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

Kipp,

What can you tell me about the PB-10 and 25-31PCi.

I'm looking to buy one of them not sure which. This would be my first real sub, coming from a Advent 8inch sub, anything would be better.

Closed Room is 16x12x8 80%HT 20% Music

I can get the PB-10 for roughly $100 less than the 25-31.

I don't get close to reference levels when listening to movies(to loud for me). Looking for deep chest pounding bass with accurate sound.

Thanks

The PB10 will be an excellent performer in that room. The 25-31 will have more output/headroom, but either sub will more than do the job for you. I've heard the PB10 in a slightly larger sealed room, wood floors, it was stellar. I took my 20-39+ over there to compare, other than slightly more defined bass, the 10 inch sub stayed right with it. The difference was headroom, but it wasn't apparent in a small sealed room.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

This has nothing to do with any of the current topics, but ...

I used to listen to music in PLII Music mode whereby the DSP sends some of the sound to the surround speakers. I preferred this "fuller" sound over the sound provided when playing in Stereo mode.

However, after I calibrated and BFD-ed my 25-31 PC+ (tuned to 20Hz), I noticed that I like to listen to music in Stereo mode now.

I think the 25-31 is providing that fullness that I used to ask the surrounds to help out with.

Anyway, I just thought I would mention it.

Mitch
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The PB10 will be an excellent performer in that room. The 25-31 will have more output/headroom, but either sub will more than do the job for you. I've heard the PB10 in a slightly larger sealed room, wood floors, it was stellar. I took my 20-39+ over there to compare, other than slightly more defined bass, the 10 inch sub stayed right with it. The difference was headroom, but it wasn't apparent in a small sealed room.

Thank you very much for your mini review. Any other comments?

Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone else comment on the SVS SB12-Plus VS a velo SPL1200R
Old 10-19-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for your mini review. Any other comments?

based on ron's comments, the size of your room, your needs, and my own experience with it, i think you'd be fine with the PB-10. the 25-31 PCi sounds like it would have that extra headroom when listening at reference levels. but if you're like me (and don't listen that loud), the PB-10 will give you very similar extension, output, and SQ. i'd go for the PB-10 if i were you.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

based on ron's comments, the size of your room, your needs, and my own experience with it, i think you'd be fine with the PB-10. the 25-31 PCi sounds like it would have that extra headroom when listening at reference levels. but if you're like me (and don't listen that loud), the PB-10 will give you very similar extension, output, and SQ. i'd go for the PB-10 if i were you.

Thanks G-star,

The money I would save buying the PB-10 would enable me to get the Avia/RS Meter bundle.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks G-star,

The money I would save buying the PB-10 would enable me to get the Avia/RS Meter bundle.

no prob. being able to get the RS meter/Avia bundle in addition to the sub is even more of a resason to go for the PB10. subs are not plug-and-play devices, and calibration is essential to get it performing its best.

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000