Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 728 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #21811 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1n3t1k View Post
I have never owned a receiver that has Audyssey. /dodges tomatoes

How long does it take to run? Does it vary between XT32/SubEQ and other Audyssey flavors? My Yamaha A3040 takes probably 3 minutes to run YPAO if I skip the angle measurements using the boomerang device.

Everything I have read is if you use an external calibration device, whether it is a MiniDSP, Anti-Mode, etc, you always re-run your automatic correction program after. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the theory is to leverage more resolution ability. If my receiver can only calibrate the subs on 4 different frequencies, then using the Anti-Mode's 36 filters to pre-correct the response allows for more of a "flattening potential" to the correction after the fact.

Travis
Now that I have a mic stand to attach the Audyssey mic to (rather than monkey around with some home-made/pain-in-the-ass microphone holder), I can get all 8 positions measured and calibrated in about 20 mins.

That Anti-Mode seems well reviewed and a worth while investment ... I'm curious too as to if and when you might incorporate the YPAO I'm guessing run the YPAO initially, if at all.

Bottom line: let's get your dual SB13 ultras performing up to their potential ... my Audyssey XT does a nice job with my system ... your dual set up definitely deserves a nice calibration upgrade ... please keep us posted :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	anti-mode_8033s.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	858514

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21812 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I finally have the new theater up and running, along with my dual PC-12 Plus and PC-13 Ultra. I must say that I am very impressed. While the bass doesn't seem much louder necessarily, I am very impressed by how much cleaner it sounds. After some work with my Minidsp I got the delay set correctly and that really cleaned things up. According to REW in the 16hz tune I have usable bass down to nearly 12hz. I'm not going to complain about that.

I got the Ultra while in the middle of a move, so sadly I never got to play with it in my original theater, so I can't really say how much the Ultra added to the Plus. The new room is much larger (old theater was 12x10x8, the new theater is 17x11x11) so the Ultra is helping compensate for that. As of now I'll I've done in there is watched a few demo's of movies, tonight should be the first full length film in there.
stikle, cchunter, TomC1315 and 3 others like this.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC-12 Plus, SVS PC-13 Ultra
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 110in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
post #21813 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I finally have the new theater up and running, along with my dual PC-12 Plus and PC-13 Ultra. I must say that I am very impressed. While the bass doesn't seem much louder necessarily, I am very impressed by how much cleaner it sounds. After some work with my Minidsp I got the delay set correctly and that really cleaned things up. According to REW in the 16hz tune I have usable bass down to nearly 12hz. I'm not going to complain about that.

I got the Ultra while in the middle of a move, so sadly I never got to play with it in my original theater, so I can't really say how much the Ultra added to the Plus. The new room is much larger (old theater was 12x10x8, the new theater is 17x11x11) so the Ultra is helping compensate for that. As of now I'll I've done in there is watched a few demo's of movies, tonight should be the first full length film in there.

Im running dual pb2000s in a room slightly bigger than that and it sounds damn good. Man I couldn't imagine how much better your setup sounds.

*Representing Team AVS*
- KillerPoptart -
Halo 2 Stats
post #21814 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
Now that I have a mic stand to attach the Audyssey mic to (rather than monkey around with some home-made/pain-in-the-ass microphone holder), I can get all 8 positions measured and calibrated in about 20 mins.

That Anti-Mode seems well reviewed and a worth while investment ... I'm curious too as to if and when you might incorporate the YPAO I'm guessing run the YPAO initially, if at all.

Bottom line: let's get your dual SB13 ultras performing up to their potential ... my Audyssey XT does a nice job with my system ... your dual set up definitely deserves a nice calibration upgrade ... please keep us posted :-)

Attachment 858514
Hey TomC1315,

My twin SB13U are great - no complaints after the Anti-Mode. I think you may have mistaken my assistance and recommendation toward another fellow in the forum. 20 minutes is very reasonable for 8 measurements. I only measure my seat and I do keep YPAO activated after running the Anti-Mode on my subs - it's a huge difference without it and I verified my FR with REW and it's way more level and helps smooth the response. I enjoy YPAO : Flat the best as it keeps the highs sounding accurate, to my ears, and bright whereas Natural is more mellow and starts to dip around 11-12k.

Travis
post #21815 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Sound fantastic, congrats! I really need to learn to use REW.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / GoldenEar SuperSat 50s / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
post #21816 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:

Congrats, that must be amazing setup. I have chance to listen all 3 of those only 2 at time and end up with Pluses and it was not a plan at all. So with extra Ultra that must be excellent, enjoy.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's , RC-64II , RB-81II's , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #21817 of 21835 Old 07-30-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hey fellow SVS enthusiasts. Just wanted to let you all know that my PB12 Plus/2 is for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested.
post #21818 of 21835 Old 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally decided to pull the trigger on SVS PB-2000 soon. I had an old Cambridge Soundworks P-1000 dual 10" sealed, how much of a difference am I looking at between the two? Mainly movies for use some music.
post #21819 of 21835 Old 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM

Finally decided to pull the trigger on SVS PB-2000 soon. I had an old Cambridge Soundworks P-1000 dual 10" sealed, how much of a difference am I looking at between the two? Mainly movies for use some music.
post #21820 of 21835 Old 07-31-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
My uncle has the CS P-1000 and IMO it's one of the most overpriced, over rated subs ever produced. I think the price tag was about $1000 on the thing and despite the solid reviews it got I always thought it was incredibly underwhelming. I had crappy $200-$300 subs back in the day like a 15" MTX and a 15" CV and both had more output than the P-1000. I'm not too familiar with the SVS PB-2000, but I'd imagine you'll experience a nice performance upgrade considering the ported design over sealed.
post #21821 of 21835 Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

Yeah I paid $500 for it about 12 years ago. It's the only sub I've ever had, I have not heard another to compare it to. I am hoping the SVS will be a huge improvement.
post #21822 of 21835 Old 07-31-2015, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got myself a PB-2000, had a hissing noise from the driver that I traced down to my Noma surge protector. There's no noise plugged directly to the wall though. Is there a certain type of surge protector that I need to get? The sub was the only thing I had plugged into it at the time, so I think the surge protector was generating some noise?
post #21823 of 21835 Old 08-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Liked: 0
Hi everybody
I shall get PB-1000 in a week or two for my 19 x 9 x 9.5 feet room. For a couple of month can I place my centre speaker on top of it till my tv unit gets ready? I shall keep the volume low to moderate as other family members shall be around and also not to disturb the neighbour. Presently centre is placed on a small table and the table shall be replaced by subwoofer due to want of space.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited by DruShra; 08-02-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
post #21824 of 21835 Old 08-02-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I have a 7 year old PC-Ultra with the old BASH AMP. I have been upgrading components and decided I wanted dual subs. I like the PC-Ultra, but wanted to get away from the cylinder because I want to bring the subs on either side of the credenza and the tall cylinders would look odd. I did some experiments today with UMIK-1 and REW. I am new to this so was stumbling my way along. I would love dual PB-Ultas, but cost and size is an issue. I was thinking sealed, even though there are a tone of myths with sealed they would be a nice fit and allow me to stay with the Ultra driver. I enclosed some samples from my measurements and wanted some advice.

Disclaimer, Audyseey was run for the all ports open mode and I did not want to rerun it for each set up at this time. This experiment was more to see what FR I could get at what SPL from the sub in each mode. First observation I made was how damn clean the sub is, literally in every test the distortion on all of the first 10 harmonics was very low at even 20Hz. Second observation I made was that in sealed mode the PC-Ultra really extended very low down to 7Hz, but did have a dip in the 15-30Hz range. Also while Audyssey was not run for sealed it had one of the better looking FR graphs flatter with less radical swings. Will Audyssey be able to flatten that further making sealed very attractive?

My AVR is set for LPF on the sub at 120Hz and speakers are crossed at 100Hz, but why is the sub rolling off at 80Hz? I don't have any settings really set on the sub? The only setting I changed for each run was the mode 20/15/10/sealed setting to match the ports I had plugged.

I am also very disappointed in how erratic the all port open Audyssey curve is, so all over the place. Making me lean toward an external DSP for the subs.

Since I the all ports open mode could easily blast though 115db I wanted to see about getting 110db+ in sealed and it was OK but I had to crank REW from -10 to -3db (MAX) level and at around 4Hz the sub quit, blew the fuse. Clearly the BASH was not capable of giving any more. This was still hugely impressive since the sub is 7 years old and everyone has been ragging on the BASH AMPs. Fortunately I had the 2 spare fuses SVS shipped with the sub 7 years ago, swapped it out and back in business.

So seeing how the single PC Ultra did (corner loaded) in sealed mode, what opinions are there going to dual SB13-Ultra (not corner loaded)? Would I be able to make up for the dip in 15-30Hz range with Audyssey? Am I juts lost in the myths of sealed over ported? Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20Hz sealed.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	864738   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 port plugged.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	864746   Click image for larger version

Name:	sealed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	864754   Click image for larger version

Name:	no ports plugged.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	864762  

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
SVS PC13-Ultra
post #21825 of 21835 Old 08-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The dip at 100hz is probably because the sub is in anti phase with the mains. Add 5.6 feet to the sub distance in the manual settings of the avr and it should be phase matched. 5.6feet is halve the wave length of 100hz.
Phase matching is something only Audyssey Pro can do :-( But with rew and a mic you can tweak it yourselves.
post #21826 of 21835 Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
The dip at 100hz is probably because the sub is in anti phase with the mains. Add 5.6 feet to the sub distance in the manual settings of the avr and it should be phase matched. 5.6feet is halve the wave length of 100hz.
Phase matching is something only Audyssey Pro can do :-( But with rew and a mic you can tweak it yourselves.
This was just th sub channel, no other channels or speakers were being driven.

Panasonic 65VT60
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-103
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RS-35 / RS-25
SVS PC13-Ultra
post #21827 of 21835 Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 PM

Liked: 14
I've been looking to upgrade my old Velodyne CT-120. After taking a look at a few different brands, I am settling on SVS, but I'm not exactly sure which variant I want to pick up. I will be using almost exclusively for movies. My living room is pretty small (14 x 19 ft- 8ft ceiling), but it is an open space to the kitchen and hallway to the bedrooms. The reason for the upgrade is just to scratch an itch, and I want the system to go very low, just to feel what I'm missing from my current set up.

I was originally looking at the PB-13 Ultra, but it costs more than I'm willing to spend. The cylinders are a good compromise in price- and I'm leaning towards the PC-12 Plus. I just don't want to get something I will not be satisfied with. On paper it looks great, but I don't want to "miss" the little bit extra the more expensive subs can put out.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-68, which was an upgrade from an HK AVR 520. The receiver powers an older Infinity IL-50 pair (each has 10" powered sub), IL-36c, IL-10 rears, and the Velodyne CT-120.

I have my mains running as small speakers w/ receiver crossover set at 100Hz, I have the internal crossover on the IL-50 (~35% volume) turned on to limit low signal to the non-sub speakers since I recently had to replace a blown tweeter. My CT-120 is also using the internal crossover somewhere around 55Hz, and volume is set to about 25%. Signal to subs is almost as low as it will go on the receiver (-11dB out of -12dB min). I get plenty of sound to fill the room, but I want more low end rumble. The way it is set up, I figure that I'm sending anything 100Hz and lower to the 10" subs, and then the really low stuff to the larger sub crossed over much lower so that I don't get too much in the middle sub range, and it can be turned up to really hit those lows.

I typed way more than I needed, but since I've only recently set this system up, I'm sure it could use some constructive criticism. I will be borrowing a RABOS kit for my IL-50 speakers so that I can tune to the room. I have a broken switch on one of the IL-50 sub amps, but I am going to try to fix that to set up the RABOS.

Final Question:
Will there be any difference in service/warranties in buying from Amazon or web-site directly?
post #21828 of 21835 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrtturbo View Post
I've been looking to upgrade my old Velodyne CT-120. After taking a look at a few different brands, I am settling on SVS, but I'm not exactly sure which variant I want to pick up. I will be using almost exclusively for movies. My living room is pretty small (14 x 19 ft- 8ft ceiling), but it is an open space to the kitchen and hallway to the bedrooms. The reason for the upgrade is just to scratch an itch, and I want the system to go very low, just to feel what I'm missing from my current set up.

I was originally looking at the PB-13 Ultra, but it costs more than I'm willing to spend. The cylinders are a good compromise in price- and I'm leaning towards the PC-12 Plus. I just don't want to get something I will not be satisfied with. On paper it looks great, but I don't want to "miss" the little bit extra the more expensive subs can put out.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite SC-68, which was an upgrade from an HK AVR 520. The receiver powers an older Infinity IL-50 pair (each has 10" powered sub), IL-36c, IL-10 rears, and the Velodyne CT-120.

I have my mains running as small speakers w/ receiver crossover set at 100Hz, I have the internal crossover on the IL-50 (~35% volume) turned on to limit low signal to the non-sub speakers since I recently had to replace a blown tweeter. My CT-120 is also using the internal crossover somewhere around 55Hz, and volume is set to about 25%. Signal to subs is almost as low as it will go on the receiver (-11dB out of -12dB min). I get plenty of sound to fill the room, but I want more low end rumble. The way it is set up, I figure that I'm sending anything 100Hz and lower to the 10" subs, and then the really low stuff to the larger sub crossed over much lower so that I don't get too much in the middle sub range, and it can be turned up to really hit those lows.

I typed way more than I needed, but since I've only recently set this system up, I'm sure it could use some constructive criticism. I will be borrowing a RABOS kit for my IL-50 speakers so that I can tune to the room. I have a broken switch on one of the IL-50 sub amps, but I am going to try to fix that to set up the RABOS.

Final Question:
Will there be any difference in service/warranties in buying from Amazon or web-site directly?
PC-12Plus is really great sub. I think you will be surpriced. With SVS 45 days free audition time and free shipping both ways there is no risk at all. You can try as many different sub you want until you find what will fit you the best and cost you nothing!!! I will buy it directly from SVS also you can contact them and they are real expert so they will help you choice for sure.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #21829 of 21835 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Ok so my Pb-2000 is still hissing even plugged directly to the wall, so apparently not the fault of my surge protector. Seems like it gets louder the longer the sub is on, go into standby and the noise mostly goes away. I can deal with the hiss if it won't get any worse, can only hear it when nothing is playing.
post #21830 of 21835 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
PC-12Plus is really great sub.
A very nice sub indeed ... I've had the PC12+ on my mind since last evening, when my son told me he's putting his audio/video gear in moth balls for the upcoming school year (his senior yr at Ohio U) ... looks like, rather, that my MartinLogan Dynamo700 in the exercise room will be the sub in moth balls for the next year :-)

With the addition of James' LX16 center channel, I'll be back up to a 2.1 in the exercise room ( the 1.1 has worked out nicely ... the second speaker ended up in the kitchen for a 6.1 primary a/v rig ) ... it'll be fun rockin' a PC12+ again.

Dollar for dollar, lb. for lb., inch for inch, I feel the PC12+ is the best bang for your buck amongst SVS's ported offerings. Maybe because my ML Motion 40s were the same height as the Plus, but when I upgraded to the Ultra last Year, the PC13U's 47" seemed rather huge ... with a convenient spot in the back for a good grip, the Plus's 75lbs are quite manageable.

This is not to say that the PC13U is worth every penny paid for it ... in a large living room, a dedicated theater room - yes indeed

No PC12+s in the outlet today, but last I checked, the PC12+ was selling for $1049 ... a great value.

Name:	James' A_V rig.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	867082

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	867090
retro124 likes this.

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #21831 of 21835 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Smooie:

A few pages back I related my story of an amp hiss in a new SB-2000 (also in that thread) that I could hear at about 3 metres or so away from the sub. It would go away if I re-plugged the RCA connections, then would come back after a few hours. Turning on and off the sub with the switch also removed the hiss for a while. In all other aspects, the sub was working fine, just the hiss. A number of e-mail correspondence rounds with SVS tech support resulted in them sending me a new "plate amp" to install. It arrived, I "popped' it in.......voila, perfect, no hiss. Hope this helps.......

P.E.H.
post #21832 of 21835 Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I recently added a 2nd PC-2000 and wanted to share something that I noticed.

My AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR818. When I had a single sub, the distance was measured at 16ft (according to the AVR). The sub is actually 10ft away, but due to the DSP within the sub's amp, there a slight delay, I tested various distances within the menu. Sure enough, 16ft sounded the best. This sub is in the front/left corner

When I got my 2nd sub, I determine that the best placement for both was in diagonally opposed corners (front left and back right). The sub at back/right is closer to the MLP than the front/left by about 3-4ft. I adjusted the phase of the closer sub to dial it in with the front sub.

I told you that so I can tell you this..... In my AVR settings, the distance changed from 16ft to 11ft after adding the 2nd sub. Because the closer sub is set to match the front sub, shouldn't I change this back to 16ft? I changed it to 16ft, and it seems slightly better, but I'm not sure if it's just my mind playing tricks on me lol.

Last edited by MoJoe277; Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
post #21833 of 21835 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
SVS plate amp quality leaves something to be desired I feel. Luckily their customer service is first rate and their warranty generous..
post #21834 of 21835 Old Today, 01:34 AM

Liked: 14
Just ordered a brand new PC-12 Plus

Hope it's here before the end of the week, and that it arrives early so I can bring it in before work. Already have a buddy that is interested in the Velodyne- it's been a hit since college.
tommaazz, TomC1315 and retro124 like this.
post #21835 of 21835 Old Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrtturbo View Post
Just ordered a brand new PC-12 Plus

Hope it's here before the end of the week, and that it arrives early so I can bring it in before work. Already have a buddy that is interested in the Velodyne- it's been a hit since college.
Congrats, I'm sure you will be happy. Let us know how do you like it.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com