Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 751 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #22501 of 22502 Unread Today, 07:13 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Ok guys I have a PB12 NSD (older yes) that I purchased about 8 years ago. Been a great sub. However, something rather unexpected happened, after I upgraded all my speakers, when listening to music I can't hardly tolerate the sub anymore. It's just too slow, too sloppy compared with my Dyaudio Focus speakers. It is still fine for HT. Since I hadn't considered my sub might actually need an upgrade I didn't budget for it. The sub has served me quite well over the years...

Is there a drive swap or driver/amp swap that I can do through SVS that will solve this problem? Or must I simply come to the fact that at some point I may just have to upgrade everything, box and all? Maybe SVS can send me a port plug and that would help?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
you have what's arguably one of the best brands of speaker ever created and are surprised one of the earlier SVS subs isn't keeping up? i mean this is jest but dynaudio is liken to ferrari. there is just nothing that sounds like their gear

that said having used the peerless XLS, XXLS and now having one of the new sb12-nsd subs from the 399 sale i can tell you that somehow or another SVS has changed that resonance that use to be present in small sealed subs using the XLS/XXLS line. it juts isn't there anymore. it's also in one of the tymphany cast frames. i have no idea if this is the same driver the sb2000 uses but it cosmetically looks the same. same dust cap, same cone, same cast frame.

anyway, to get back to what i was saying SVS has had a good many years to tweak on the original XLS and XXLS parameters. i'm pretty certain these are not off the shelf subs anymore.

you could do one of a couple things.

1. sell what you have and try a new one or an ultra
2. see if you can find a sale on the JL Audio fathom. these things are amazing and the quality is insanely good. the W7 they are based on is just such a good driver
Sponsored Links
post #22502 of 22502 Unread Today, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40

I am planning on replacing my existing subwoofer (an Infinity SW12) with an SVS PC12 Plus.

I hate to get rid of the SW12 altogether and was wondering if there was any benefit to running both subs together. I have a large peak at 56 Hz that the Infinity's built-in PEQ does a nice job of taming but there's also a dip around 43 Hz (I live in an apartment so placement options are almost non-existent).

I planned on using the SVS's PEQ to tame the peak at 56 Hz (that I assume will still be there). The SVS will almost certainly blow away the SW12's performance but I was wondering if I could:

a) use the SW12 to possibly eliminate the dip at 43 Hz
b) use the SW12 for upper bass frequencies (say 45 Hz-80 Hz) and the SVS for frequencies below 40 Hz.

Is any of this realistic/feasible or should I just use the SVS and be done with it?

P.S. I'm aware of the benefits of multiple subs in general but, as I said, I have very limited placement options. The SVS will almost certainly take the spot the SW12 currently occupies in the back corner of my living room. The SW12, if also used, could only be moved to the other side of my couch under the end table next to me (not a corner).

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world

Last edited by robi1138; Today at 11:15 PM. Reason: Left out something
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by