Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 771 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2474Likes

post #23101 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhale64L7 View Post
First off I am new to this thread. I sold my old sub and have been looking in all the sub threads to research my replacement. I have only owned two subs ever. An Infinity reference sub which I never liked. Bottomed out all the time. And my Mfw15 which was pretty solid for movies but just a bit slow for music. I am definitely not a bass head. I never want my bass to drown out everything else.

To the above poster. If it is under warranty I would be getting a replacement amp.

Now for my questions. I have a 2700 cubic foot dedicated home theater. Bass traps in all corners. Bass traps in my columns, and also in my soffits, all the way around. I have optimal dimensions so to have the least amount of standing waves I want a sub that has nice tight bass for music. But I also want great impact for movies.

I am leaning towards the sb13ultra. But thinking I might need two for impact with movies though. And don't want to splurge on the second.

So my question is has anybody compared all these sub's? And if so maybe give me some advice. I am open to all suggestions but remember I won't sacrifice music for movies.

Thank you in advance.

I had the SB13 for a while, and I can echo the comments above that it can be a, in comparison, a bit lacking for movies. That's nothing against the SB13, but its asking a lot for a relatively compact 13 inch sub to go against, for example, bigger 15 inch subs.

here's my little journey to find my current sub:Deep Sea Sounds Mariana 18 Review

Salk Speakers. Deep Sea Sounds Subwoofer. Mastiff Dog
My Living Room HT

Last edited by madhuski; Yesterday at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23102 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll bump the gain closer to 12 o'clock. That probably will get my audyssey setting closer to -7 db on subwoofer. From there Should be able to safely bump the subwoofer to 0 db. I think my AVR will let me manually adjust to -12 db if I want to reduce the subwoofer. I typically like the audyssey settings for music though.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #23103 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post
Location ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Santa Rosa, CA.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, Dual SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
post #23104 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I have a SVS 25-31PCi, if anyone here remembers their original cylinder subs. I remember reading somewhere here that the sub gain isn't meant to control output and should be left at close to max, and the AVR gain should be then used to dial it in.

Is this good advice? Does it apply to my sub or only the newer ones with the digital amps? Finally do all SVS subs have protection built in to prevent damage to driver (I believe this is a feature) ?
post #23105 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I have a SVS 25-31PCi, if anyone here remembers their original cylinder subs. I remember reading somewhere here that the sub gain isn't meant to control output and should be left at close to max, and the AVR gain should be then used to dial it in.

Is this good advice? Does it apply to my sub or only the newer ones with the digital amps? Finally do all SVS subs have protection built in to prevent damage to driver (I believe this is a feature) ?

Hi,

That is good advice regardless of whether your sub has a digital control. The following is a quote from Ed Mullen of SVS. Some additional detail is offered in the Audyssey FAQ, linked below. I believe that all SVS subs have a protection circuit built in, but I am not absolutely sure whether that includes the early models.

"A general rule when level matching the subs and the speaker channels is to run the gain hotter at the subs and the AVR sub trim level cooler. That keeps the AVR sub signal clean and allows upward adjustability to run the sub hotter if needed."

post #23106 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I called SVS and told them about the pop-pop problem. Big Ed Mullen took care of me. I guess I'm not the 1st with that problem. They shipped me out an amp. Got it today and installed it. No more pop-pop sound and it turns on with my other sub. Have the bad one in the box the new one came in, ready to be shipped back tomorrow.
As I mentioned several pages ago, I had this same problem. I called SVS a couple of times the middle of last year and they'd never heard of it, but had some suggestions to isolate the issue with either the sub or the AVR which included removing the sub cable to see if it made the same sound or not. That got old quick, always forgetting the sub cable was unplugged when sitting down to watch a show or movie and having to rock the 127lbs beast to plug it back in. After finding someone with the same issue in some other forum, I found that switching the sub to On instead of Auto got rid of the problem, however it was a bandaid and I didn't really like it.

After reading about Mongo's issue and knowing he called SVS, I called them as well and they acknowledged that they'd had a few calls about it and said that the people on this forum were knowledgeable enough that they knew what they were talking about and agreed to send me out a new amp. Got it last weekend and installed it...no more pop-pop. I'm glad Mongo171 posted or I would've just let it go for a lot longer thinking I might have had just an AVR issue instead of a Sub amp issue.
Mongo171 and pcfriedrich like this.

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA
Pioneer Elite VSX23-TXH
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 L/C/R - ProMonitor 1000 x 4
SVS PB12+ Subwoofer

18TB Plex Media Server
Pics
post #23107 of 23119 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Glad you got it up and running. It was easier for me to switch and eliminate the cables: I have dual cylinders!

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra X2 (BIG BADA BOOM); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #23108 of 23119 Old Today, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I guess my SB2000 driver is broken.

When first turning on the sub the sound is overly high and the driver makes a flapping sound like it's rubbing against something. After a few minutes the high sound goes away but the flapping is still there. Playing some test tones it goes in and out of that behavior then goes away. The impact of the sub is not there anymore either even when the flapping is gone.

What could of caused this? I'm disappointed because i only had the sub since December 2014 and it has just 60+ hours of use. I don't even play it loud.

What's the return policy like?

home theater addict
post #23109 of 23119 Old Today, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Glad you got it up and running. It was easier for me to switch and eliminate the cables: I have dual cylinders!
It wasn't that hard to switch cables and I did that with several of them, even new. The pain was that they wanted me to leave the cable unplugged and listen for it, eliminating the AVR as a possible source of the signal making the sub do that pop pop sound. Problem was, as you know, it was completely random. You might not hear it for days, because it was in another room. Then I'd go to sit down and watch something and hear no bass and think, 'oh crap, that's right, the sub cable is unplugged'. Rock the thing forward to plug it back in, go sit down and watch. Then forget to unplug the cable...a day later, hear the stupid sound and unplug and wait for it to happen again...rinse, repeat
Mongo171 likes this.

Samsung 65" UN65ES8000FXZA
Pioneer Elite VSX23-TXH
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 L/C/R - ProMonitor 1000 x 4
SVS PB12+ Subwoofer

18TB Plex Media Server
Pics
post #23110 of 23119 Old Today, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

When first turning on the sub the sound is overly high and the driver makes a flapping sound like it's rubbing against something. After a few minutes the high sound goes away but the flapping is still there. Playing some test tones it goes in and out of that behavior then goes away. The impact of the sub is not there anymore either even when the flapping is gone.

What could of caused this? I'm disappointed because i only had the sub since December 2014 and it has just 60+ hours of use. I don't even play it loud.

Look here.

Denon X4200W, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Front Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RP-280FA Surround/Atmos (x2), RP-140SA Atmos (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D, Synology NAS
Samsung PN64F8500
post #23111 of 23119 Old Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Give them a call tomorrow and they will hook you up.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra X2 (BIG BADA BOOM); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #23112 of 23119 Old Today, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
From reading that it seems they won't send me a new sub, only parts? Since it's been over a year. I've never tried fixing a sub before. I would prefer a replacement in matters of making things worse.

home theater addict
post #23113 of 23119 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Give them a call tomorrow and they will hook you up.
Yeah i plan to call early tomorrow and explain the issue. Maybe play it too since it's audibly bad.

home theater addict
post #23114 of 23119 Old Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I just replaced a bad amp in one of my cylinders. Easy. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
post #23115 of 23119 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just replaced a bad amp in one of my cylinders. Easy. Lefty loosey, righty tighty.
Sounds like a bad amp and a driver. Or would the flapping sound be because of the amp? This just happened out of nowhere. Surprised me because i thought these subs were suppose to be well built? 60 hours of non stressful use doesn't look like it to me.

home theater addict
post #23116 of 23119 Old Today, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Sounds like a bad amp and a driver. Or would the flapping sound be because of the amp? This just happened out of nowhere. Surprised me because i thought these subs were suppose to be well built? 60 hours of non stressful use doesn't look like it to me.
Well, no piece of hardware or manufacturing process is 100% bulletproof. I have 2 SB-2000s and have put them through their paces for far more time than you have on yours and I've had zero issues. Your experience is definitely not the norm and certainly not worthy of declaring a brand or model as not well built. Sounds like bad luck to me.

Denon X4200W, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Front Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RP-280FA Surround/Atmos (x2), RP-140SA Atmos (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D, Synology NAS
Samsung PN64F8500
post #23117 of 23119 Old Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Stuff happens. They replaced my amp for free, including shipping both ways. Not what a company wants, but it is planned for. Prices for all products have a "safety net" built in. It does chew into the bottom line. It does pay to have excellent engineering and assembly.
post #23118 of 23119 Old Today, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
Well, no piece of hardware or manufacturing process is 100% bulletproof. I have 2 SB-2000s and have put them through their paces for far more time than you have on yours and I've had zero issues. Your experience is definitely not the norm and certainly not worthy of declaring a brand or model as not well built. Sounds like bad luck to me.
I guess so but it's still frustrating. The sub is still basically new.

home theater addict
post #23119 of 23119 Old Today, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Stuff happens. They replaced my amp for free, including shipping both ways. Not what a company wants, but it is planned for. Prices for all products have a "safety net" built in. It does chew into the bottom line. It does pay to have excellent engineering and assembly.
What kind of screws are placed on the sub? It doesn't look like anything i have the tools for. Which means taking a trip to the hardware store. Great.

home theater addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page